ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Good morning folks. Happy Labor Day. A stunning day in the east —clear skies, cool, a nice breeze. Just perfect.

Got to spend yesterday evening with my daughter, her boyfriend and my in laws who had us all over for some really nice lasagna. My wife still in NYC with her aunt.

VH70 —Absolutely we used to catch those WEBN Labor Day fireworks. We’d always stake out a spot right down on the river on the Kentucky side very near where we knew the barge would end up from which the fireworks were launched. In my memory they started that tradition in the early-mid 1970s, about the end of my high school years. We’d make a day-long party out of it. I’m not sure I’ve been back to Kentucky for Labor Day since I moved to DC area in 79. I think the party my friends and brothers threw to watch the fireworks went on without me for several decades.

Heading down to the city to have lunch with a couple old foreign correspondent buddies from back in the day. You folks take it easy.

Last edited:
VH70 —Absolutely we used to catch those WEBN Labor Day fireworks. We’d always stake out a spot right down on the river on the Kentucky side very near where we knew the barge would end up from which the fireworks were launched. Party all day. In my memory they started that tradition in the early-mid 1970s, about the end of my high school years. We’d make a day-long party out of it.
I think it started in 75 or 76 as we took our 2-3 yrs old son to the Newport Floodwall to watch. No one knew what to expect. People were blown away by the size and show length. Nothing like it ever before. The finale noise & light was awesome. It went on for several minutes. Because what it would be was unknown, relatively light crowd that first year. That quickly changed.

It was a wide open event in the early years. Very little police presence, traffic control (Getting out could be a nightmare.). Recall sitting there and a group of 20's aged guys (Us still then too.) climbed up with a 1/4 barrel !! Laughed my tail off, but nobody thought anything as everyone had brought their own. Took 3 years or so for the authorities fully realized what a huge event it was & started putting in controls - reducing the fun of course. My Mom loved it. Several years we took her and sat practically on the riverbank.

For those that don't know, the concrete flood wall is 30-40' tall with grass covered embankments on both sides that are steep/tough to climb up. Installed after the record 1937 Flood. Ate up Newport's First Street.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
I think it started in 75 or 76 as we took our 2-3 yrs old son to the Newport Floodwall to watch. No one knew what to expect. People were blown away by the size and show length. Nothing like it ever before. The finale noise & light was awesome. It went on for several minutes. Because what it would be was unknown, relatively light crowd that first year. That quickly changed.

It was a wide open event in the early years. Very little police presence, traffic control (Getting out could be a nightmare.). Recall sitting there and a group of 20's aged guys (Us still then too.) climbed up with a 1/4 barrel !! Laughed my tail off, but nobody thought anything as everyone had brought their own. Took 3 years or so for the authorities fully realized what a huge event it was & started putting in controls - reducing the fun of course. My Mom loved it. Several years we took her and sat practically on the riverbank.

For those that don't know, the concrete flood wall is 30-40' tall with grass covered embankments on both sides that are steep/tough to climb up. Installed after the record 1937 Flood. Ate up Newport's First Street.
It sounds like I caught the first 2-3 years of it before it was heavily organized or policed, especially on the Kentucky side. And yes, it was a pretty spectacular and intense show. Right up there with the best fireworks I've experienced. I moved to Miami in the late Spring of 1977, and on the DC in 1979. There may well have been a year or two in those early days when my fairly frequent trips back to Kentucky coincided with Labor Day.

Good morning from Marriott Hotel next to Inverness Airport, Scotland. Currently 51°F and clear.

Packing up, showering and walking 200 m over to the airport with just 3 gates. Flew out of here once already to Kirkwall. At any rate, will attempt arriving early as usual. Hope hold baggage not over weight. Bringing back 9 cans of various Scottish beers,

Wishing y'all a great day.

@cordmaker : Photo snapped from my room on Union Street, Inverness. You should recognize one of the items in photo. My good luck charm. It has accompanied me to Germany, Iceland and now Scotland.

Thanks!

457304200_10231655359547612_2439337301288511104_n.jpg

Good morning folks.

Back to work, downtown today.
It’s a cool, sunny day in the east. Another in a long run of beautiful days, more like October than early September.

Everything is getting back to normal for my family. Both daughters begin their teaching jobs today. My son got back to his job in Texas after a long Labor Day trip to the mountains of Colorado. And my wife is returning from her visit to care for her aunt in NYC.

I hope you all are having a good day.

Good morning everyone

We had a good Labor Day weekend.....visited family for my Mom's 80th surprise BD. We actually surprised her.....she expected something next weekend (her actual BD). It was difficult to coordinate nearly 50 to be there. We had all her family and in-laws except 3....not bad.

We stayed home yesterday and caught up on some to-dos around the house, had some BBQ ribs, then a nice fire.

Celebrating our 36th anniversary at home today....wife's choice.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Late check in here. It is 79.9°F here now. Our high is supposed to be 80°. It has been a while since we did not make 80°.

Had son and dil in this yesterday and today. Caught up on talk. Stayed up past midnight. Things have to be going well for my ass to say awake that long!

Good morning everyone

We had a good Labor Day weekend.....visited family for my Mom's 80th surprise BD. We actually surprised her.....she expected something next weekend (her actual BD). It was difficult to coordinate nearly 50 to be there. We had all her family and in-laws except 3....not bad.

We stayed home yesterday and caught up on some to-dos around the house, had some BBQ ribs, then a nice fire.

Celebrating our 36th anniversary at home today....wife's choice.

I hope everyone has a great day.
Happy anniversary to Mr. and Mrs. Storm! Hope you have another 36!!!!

Reactions: berniecarbo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT