ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

A quarter of a century ago, today: I left Kosovo after being there (in the region) since April. I found out my wife was pregnant soon after I got there, that she was having a boy during the hectic days when the NATO troops, including Americans rolled in in June, and got back in plenty of time for his arrival in December. A quick true story: I had an Albanian driver. They are kind of a weird people. He asked me, "You have children?" I said, "Yeah, two girls." He said, "Another child is coming. A son." All this before i knew. I laughed and told him if true I'd make the kid's middle name Skenderbeg, after the Albanian hero of the Dark Ages. But then, it turned out it WAS true. Didn't name the kid Skenderbeg, maybe I should have.

It's HS football season! Going to Dixie Heights/Simon Kenton game this evening with a friend. Supposed to be two decent/good teams. Hope it's close. Went to GS's JV soccer match last night. As a FR, got in 30 minutes of the 80. He did fine. Another match tomorrow early p.m. before it turns back to blazing again. 90's coming for a week - above average but not unusual. Could be the end of the heat. Won't miss it.

A quarter of a century ago, today: I left Kosovo after being there (in the region) since April. I found out my wife was pregnant soon after I got there, that she was having a boy during the hectic days when the NATO troops, including Americans rolled in in June, and got back in plenty of time for his arrival in December. A quick true story: I had an Albanian driver. They are kind of a weird people. He asked me, "You have children?" I said, "Yeah, two girls." He said, "Another child is coming. A son." All this before i knew. I laughed and told him if true I'd make the kid's middle name Skenderbeg, after the Albanian hero of the Dark Ages. But then, it turned out it WAS true. Didn't name the kid Skenderbeg, maybe I should have.

Might as well have named him Sue...(If you had done it...)

Might as well have named him Sue...(If you had done it...)
Skenderbeg (some spell in Skanderbeg but in Albania I saw it the other way more) was a scrapper...But yeah, it does not roll off the tongue and would have been a hard row to hoe for a kid in elementary school...He was sort of Albania's version of Vlad "Dracula" Tepes, the Impaler...

Skenderbeg (some spell in Skanderbeg but in Albania I saw it the other way more) was a scrapper...But yeah, it does not roll off the tongue and would have been a hard row to hoe for a kid in elementary school...He was sort of Albania's version of Vlad "Dracula" Tepes, the Impaler...

Dracula was my man back in the day. Used to love biting girls necks.... 😬 Oops...

It is 63.0°F on our way to, yuk, 91°F.
Good morning D-League. Promising day in the east —should be clear and not too hot again.

My wife and i are going to take a drive up into the Blue Ridge, hike a little and find a nice place for lunch, maybe in Harper’s Ferry, maybe further out. Should be fun.

I hope it is a good Saturday for all.
The first two years out of high school I had a summer job on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Those mountains are special. I fell in love with a girl from Sparta, NC and we got engaged but the long range romance did not work out. She was a long legged blond. Wonderful mountain girl.

The first two years out of high school I had a summer job on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Those mountains are special. I fell in love with a girl from Sparta, NC and we got engaged but the long range romance did not work out. She was a long legged blond. Wonderful mountain girl.
Bert, I couldn’t agree more. I got married in Winchester Virginia, not far from one of the gateways onto the Blue Ridge Parkway. It’s a frequent getaway for us to drive a stretch of it.

Last edited:
Artillery-firing-gif-00.gif

Just firing up the ole touchdown celebratory gifs before next Saturday.

Things are warming up towards game day and my day also. Temps to be around 106° today. Hit 109° yesterday. @Bert Higginbotha I would still take the 91° over what we have been getting but, it is supposed to start going under the century mark starting Tuesday next week (I hope). Have not fished in almost 3 weeks now and are having withdrawals.

Wife and daughter want to go lunch and then shopping today. May try to talk her out of me going as I am already tired after the monster walk and workout this morning. Practiced with the co-ed softball team yesterday evening for about 2 hours in the heat in preparation for fall league that starts September 22. Took a lot out of me so my workout this morning was modified to 30 minutes instead of the normal 1 hour or more.

Not much else going on so, you folks enjoy to days off and God Bless.

Did you bite her in the neck Sir? 😁

Hello all,

Working cleaning, cleaning working.... I am thankful! Have a fine afternoon...

In fact, have a great afternoon..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT