ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Good morning folks. Cloudy in the east.

Just about to emerge from this tough stretch at work. By the end of this week I should be in a better place.

I'm looking forward to going to the ceremony in DC today honoring a Medal of Honor recipient, David Bellavia. I'm told some other MOH recepients will be there as well, from the Vietnam era. I'm editing a series of pieces for our publications and website on "life after the Medal of Honor" so I'm pleased to get this chance.

Here's a link to Bellavia's story:

Otherwise, a busy day. I hope all is well with everyone.

Just about to emerge from this tough stretch at work. By the end of this week I should be in a better place.

I'm looking forward to going to the ceremony in DC today honoring a Medal of Honor recipient, David Bellavia. I'm told some other MOH recepients will be there as well, from the Vietnam era. I'm editing a series of pieces for our publications and website on "life after the Medal of Honor" so I'm pleased to get this chance.

Shake his hand for me. I have seen him often on Fox. Great man.

Sounds like one of the good guys.

Hi MdW, have you ever been to the Mark Center? Just curious...

Hello all,

Just sat down at my desk. left my home at 0530. Been a seriously long three days... I work tomorrow but only about 40 feet away from my bed. If the Lord doesn't take me home I can make that trip.

Driving home today from Alexandria about twenty miles away only took me an hour and forty-five minutes...

Have a peaceful rest of your evening..

Last edited:
BB - Yes I have, years ago in my days as a correspondent. When I was not overseas I worked out of the Pentagon much of the time, and would occasionally have meetings at the Mark Center.

Bless you, I turned down a job at the Pentagon due to...the Pentagon (Not my cup of tea as a regular variety...). Just finished three days at the Mark Center. Better than the latter but this was a once a year thing.. (I hope). ;)

Good morning folks.

Cloudy and humid in the east. Thankful to be at another Friday.

I had a terrific time at the Medal of Honor conference yesterday. Yes Bert, I shook David Bellavia’s hand for all of us. What a dynamic, inspiring guy. A patriot in the best sense of the word, one we can all try to emulate.

It turns out after his actions in Iraq he left the military, then returned twice as a civilian war correspondent. We ended up talking for a long time about the job. He was with the Big Red One when he won the MOH, and when I mentioned that way back in 1991 I was with them into Iraq he started citing their path during that war which he’d read about, and I told him of some of the things I saw along the way as I traveled with them. He gave me a signed copy of his book which I’m looking forward to reading.

Off for a run before it gets too hot. Have a good day folks.

Good morning all,

Been at it for an hour... Coffee...

giphy.gif

Have a great day!

Good morning folks.

Cloudy and humid in the east. Thankful to be at another Friday.

I had a terrific time at the Medal of Honor conference yesterday. Yes Bert, I shook David Bellavia’s hand for all of us. What a dynamic, inspiring guy. A patriot in the best sense of the word, one we can all try to emulate.

It turns out after his actions in Iraq he left the military, then returned twice as a civilian war correspondent. We ended up talking for a long time about the job. He was with the Big Red One when he won the MOH, and when I mentioned that way back in 1991 I was with them into Iraq he started citing their path during that war which he’d read about, and I told him of some of the things I saw along the way as I traveled with them. He gave me a signed copy of his book which I’m looking forward to reading.

Off for a run before it gets too hot. Have a good day folks.
Thanks for the report. I would like to meet the man some day.

It is already 76.6°F on the sunny side of my house. It was hot yesterday (88°F) and is supposed to get to 90°F today. I would prefer 82!

You all have a good Friday.

UPDATE: the weather report did not know shit. It is 92.5°F and it is only 1:35.
Yep, this weather can be tough on an old man. Right now, I have 3 yards to take care of. My business yard, my main residence and my weekend home. All the yards are large. I spent 3 hours on the riding mower this morning, then some weedeating. Still have more work to do, but the heat convinced me to watch the St Louis baseball game in the air conditioning. Trying to sell the first two, but the economy/interest rates are killing me, especially with commercial property.

Yep, this weather can be tough on an old man. Right now, I have 3 yards to take care of. My business yard, my main residence and my weekend home. All the yards are large. I spent 3 hours on the riding mower this morning, then some weedeating. Still have more work to do, but the heat convinced me to watch the St Louis baseball game in the air conditioning. Trying to sell the first two, but the economy/interest rates are killing me, especially with commercial property.
Going to do my yard shortly.

Good morning folks. Took my long run for the week this morning. Chilling with a Luigi's Real Italian Ice, lemon flavored.

Beautiful day in the east. Not too hot after a couple 90-plus days. Hope the Cats are ready to go in Omaha.

Have a great Saturday folks.
Got 3 boxes of different flavors (including lemon) this week and have had at least one a day. I really like them.

Got 3 boxes of different flavors (including lemon) this week and have had at least one a day. I really like them.

He's not prejudice...

My Darling went to a ladies brunch type thing at church this morning and just came back home. She brought me two bags of the small candy bars... I guess they call them the fun-size. I ate about ten before I realized I ate a whole bag... I took the other bag to the kitchen...and hid it. (It was a really "cute" bag though....) HAHA....

448535283_8353356878011152_5007794722832510310_n.jpg

Last edited:
He's not prejudice...

My Darling went to a ladies brunch type thing at church this morning and just came back home. She brought me two bags of the small candy bars... I guess they call then the fun-size. I ate about ten before I realized I ate a whole bag... I took the other bag to the kitchen...and hid it. (It was a really "cute" bag though....) HAHA....

448535283_8353356878011152_5007794722832510310_n.jpg
Kentucky DNA raised in Michigan does a lot of strange things! :)

Big-Fish.gif

Morning Legionnaires!

74° this morning with cloudy skies. A high in the low 90's expected.

Went to a birthday party yesterday evening for an old drill sergeant buddy of mine who turned 66. His wife was also a drill sergeant with us at the Drill Sergeant School at Ft. Sill in the late 80's. They were not married then but were secretly seeing other as it was taboo then for them to date. Worked out for them as they have now been married for about 30 years now.

Wife and daughter stayed up late last night making something special for Father's Day. I will not be here when they get up as I am going fishing this morning and by the time I return, we will celebrate Father's Day a little and then shift gears as I take my wife and daughter out this afternoon to celebrate our anniversary. Have to be back by 6:30pm as one of my sons wants to do face time with us and his family. Busy day today.

Happy Father's Day to all and I hope you have a great day.

God Bless.

Last edited:
Good morning from ATX. Currently 76°F and partly cloudy. Today's high expected around 96°F.

Heckuva first game CWS performance by our Kentucky Wildcats. Next up: TAMU Aggies, who defeated Gators last night.

Heading out for a hike soon. Let's see if any of my kids ring me later today.

Happy Father's Day, y'all.

Good morning all,

Sitting in My Darling's car drinking coffee and having a little dark chocolate.

Dropped her off to choir practice. Watching people mill around and head inside. I'm in no rush....

Only my oldest will be around today with me and my wife. Had this plan to take me out but I fought back hopefully enough asking only for a Costco cheese pizza.

That may get her to pay... The girl makes scrooge at his worst a spend thrift. I kind of laugh at her but it is a real concern as she makes serious dough and acts like she's on welfare.

Have a great day and. Happy Father's Day to all you Dad's..... Not hoping but just thought of what some will try if they haven't already to turn this into a happy family leader day or a happy head cohabitant day....

Yeah at one time that would have been a stupid thought.....

Take care... God Bless you all D-League....

77°F and sunny on our way to a predicted 93°F. It has been a hot spell in my area this week. Summer got here before the 21st. Austin and WarriorCat would feel at home here this week.

Happy fathers day. I could care less but the family will all call in to wish me my day. My birthday and fathers day are always close and when June comes in on Saturday or Sunday it is really close. Next year it will be even closer.

Have a good Sunday.

Good morning D-League.

Happy Fathers Day to those who have had the honor and taken on the responsibility.

Only one of my three will be here in person today for a little cookout. I heard from my son in Texas already and will hear from my daughter in Kansas City in a while.

Glad to see the Cats get off the a good start in the college World Series. Keep it up guys.

I hope you all have a great day.

@Bert Higginbotha I recommend this book if you haven't already read it. It was wrote in 1868 I believe. And goes into detail about a lot of the orphans. I found write ups of my grandfather and your grandfather, Seth Elmore.

There's also an account of a federal officer riding to a part of the federal line that took heavy losses. After the bloody battle of Shiloh.

''The barren county boys fought us at this part of the line''.

Here's a link to the book to read online for free:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT