ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Largest mountains I was ever around Sir. I was in Colorado at one of the Army Recruiting stations and after work we went to one of the ski joints to have supper. I saw people on the side of the mountains skiing. They looked like specs of dust. Just could not fathom how large the mountains were. (Been around the Cumberland mountains tons... along with the Smokies...)
For a boy from Florida I have been around and up a lot of high mountains. A trip to Alaska introduced me to Denali, I went to the park but did not attempt to climb the mountain. It is 20,000 ft high. One of my best friends and coworkers lives in Washington State and he has a cabin at Mt Rainier. My wife and I spent a lot time out there. That one is over 14,000 ft. I drove to the top of Pike's Peak in Colorado which is over 14,000 ft. That is an interesting thing to do and I scared my wife half to death. She kept her eyes closed when we got to where they were no guard rails and runaway ramps if your brakes went out.

You can see Pike's Peak from the Academy and one of the mountains in the "Pike Range" is Eagle Peak's Trail. This is an exceptionally difficult trail. The trail climbs steeply (average 25% grade) with 2000 ft of elevation gain though dense forest to an open, rocky summit with views of the Front Range, Air Force Academy campus, Eastern Plains, Pikes Peak, and Tarryall Mountains. On clear days, downtown Denver and Denver International Airport are visible to the north.

Here is a photo taken from Eagle Peak Trail during daylight. You can see how high you are when looking down at the Academy.

EaglesPeak.jpg

Last edited:
We had a plane crash in the mountains of Turkey. A pilot was playing mind games with the people of a remote village and he crashed into the side of a mountain. Scattered pieces over four mountains and a valley. I didn't realize it at the time, but it wasn't to far from Mount Ararat. Anyway they sent a group of us up there to protect the wreckage from scavengers and or Russians. The biggest piece we found of him was a piece of his head still in his helmet. I found one of his dog tags covered in some type of greasy stuff.

It took several days to find and recover everything they wanted, so we camped out for awhile. You'd see the sheepherders, their flocks and their big dogs. At night you'd hear the wolves howling. Closer to civilization, you'd see camel caravans. It was nice to see parts of it and to look back on it as a story, but it cured me of a desire to camp out.

One more thing about Pike's Peak. When we got to the top I felt light headed as if I was about to pass out. It was the altitude and thin air no doubt. So I told my wife she would have to drive back down because she was doing OK. She refused.

On the trip back down we saw several cars that had gone over the mountain and quite a few that had to use the runaway ramps because they burned up their brakes. I put my car in a low gear and let it come down that way. I was driving a company car, a brand new Oldsmobile and have to admit the car never drove the same after that trip up and down Pikes Peak.

I picked the car up a couple of days before I went on vacation and took it all over the West. My daughter had graduated from high school that year and I asked her what she wanted to do for a trip I promised. She said she wanted to take an automobile trip out West and off we went. Great trip.

Rocky Mt National Park Colorado

37548_106400699413015_392495_n.jpg

The Girls

39039_106398296079922_7694805_n.jpg

Continental Divide Colorado

37736_106398102746608_1892527_n.jpg

One more thing about Pike's Peak. When we got to the top I felt light headed as if I was about to pass out. It was the altitude and thin air no doubt. So I told my wife she would have to drive back down because she was doing OK. She refused.

On the trip back down we saw several cars that had gone over the mountain and quite a few that had to use the runaway ramps because they burned up their brakes. I put my car in a low gear and let it come down that way. I was driving a company car, a brand new Oldsmobile and have to admit the car never drove the same after that trip up and down Pikes Peak.

I picked the car up a couple of days before I went on vacation and took it all over the West. My daughter had graduated from high school that year and I asked her what she wanted to do for a trip I promised. She said she wanted to take an automobile trip out West and off we went. Great trip.

Rocky Mt National Park Colorado

37548_106400699413015_392495_n.jpg

The Girls

39039_106398296079922_7694805_n.jpg

Continental Divide Colorado

37736_106398102746608_1892527_n.jpg
I would recommend people take it easy for a bit before going into the visitors center on Pikes Peak. I got light headed as well after driving up and then walking into the center. The center is much warmer than the outside and that seemed to have an affect on me and made me a bit dizzy. But then again, it could have been aliens.

I would recommend people take it easy for a bit before going into the visitors center on Pikes Peak. I got light headed as well after driving up and then walking into the center. The center is much warmer than the outside and that seemed to have an affect on me and made me a bit dizzy. But then again, it could have been aliens.
That is where it hit me. I parked the car, went to the men's room and then to the gift shop. My head started spinning and I thought I was a goner.

Ran across a very old one from about 1950 or so. Hank Williams, Sr and Anita Carter. She had a great voice and he was, well he was Hank Williams.

Hank Sr/ Jr... Me O Myo...

Hank songs get me wanting to pick my guitar backup and so far I have not been able to seriously do that for years... Still love to play but not sure why I do not...

Last edited:
Some pictures I kept that brings back memories...

How about this one... Call that guy tough! (Remember him?)

330829196_506397138308918_5200975534603701685_n.jpg

My favorite toilet. I loved this toilet... Had it's own dashboard... I miss that toilet...

That toilet would do things....

330753539_671596121318602_5577353025942584925_n.jpg

I had this at a restaurant yesterday... (Nothing but onions, black bean sauce, and noodles underneath somewhere...)

331579637_863031738133670_7279263269464068946_n.jpg

My Darling made this same dish a few weeks ago and then a few days ago...(That's chunks of pork and onions along with several other vegetables...) I am thankful...

324942269_1484521608622262_261295795323240748_n.jpg

Anyway, have a restful night and Go Cats tomorrow...

For a boy from Florida I have been around and up a lot of high mountains. A trip to Alaska introduced me to Denali, I went to the park but did not attempt to climb the mountain. It is 20,000 ft high.
Denali/Mt. McKinley is one big boy - height & width. Most often fogged/clouded in. Was there twice for a couple days each time & saw for a total of about 5 minutes. Great park regardless, but if you go, don't be surprised if it doesn't come out for you. Understand it's visible more often before June when humidity is lower.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 31°F and clear. Warming to 56°F later today..

Game Day. Vols coming to town. Heard CJ is out. Hope Wheeler plays if we're gonna have a chance. Go Cats!

Ha ha, radiation machine broke yesterday. Pick back up on Monday with treatment. Bah! My current nemesis. Heck, it's not the machine or even good folks operating the thing. Doggone after-effects took my butt down hard Wednesday evening.

Y'all enjoy your day and have a great one.

EuhAuzaXEAwv7Rv.jpg

I haven't seen it since I was a boy, and only remember this one scene, which turns out to be rather optimistic. Reflexes, size, strength, speed and brains come in pretty handy too.

There is a lot of truth in that speech. If someone says I can't do something it generally pisses me off and motivates me even more to do it.

Good Saturday Morning D

Currently 48° with plenty of sunshine as we get up to 72° by this afternoon. No chance of rain, 0%. Last evening we had a nice shower that was timed perfectly. I treated my lawn and the instructions were to water thoroughly. I set the sprinklers for all night and here came the rain. The sprinklers have a sensor to turn it off if it rains. Perfect timing.

The Cats have another big one today. The hated Vols come to town. The rivalry is not near what it was years ago but it is still good to beat them. Must win for the Cats. All of them are now.

Saturday has always been big breakfast day and today iis not different. Breakfast remains my favorite meal of the day. I trust all are well and in good spirits. Austin is an inspiration to me and I imagine others. You got this @AustinTXCat.

iu

Good morning D-League.

Cold and clear in the east. A beautiful day, actually. Out on my long Saturday walk. Probably should have dressed a bit warmer. The wind coming across a lake, skimming across a film of ice, is cutting.

Game day for the Cats. Hoping for the best.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Good morning all,

Only the Shadow Knows...

촤ㅜㄹ요ㅓㅗㄴㄴㅌ퐇ㅇ츄ㅜㅜㅏ.....

Oops... I was typing using my phone's Korean font. Added it in case My Darling ever needs it.

If I called you something derogatory, I apologize....

I didn't mean it.😁

Edit: If I called you something good I meant every word..

Go Cats...

Last edited:
Forbes newly released list of the best large employers for 2023 has UK, yes our UK, as #5 of a Top 500 list. Go figure. They must put high value on wokeness.

329178938_545444220720474_7794939139143802747_n.jpg

GishuFellaz

·
An elderly Florida lady did her shopping and upon returning to her car, found four males in the act of leaving with her vehicle. She dropped her shopping bags and drew her handgun, proceeding to scream at the top of her lungs,
"I have a gun, and I know how to use it! Get out of the car - NOW!"
The four men didn't wait for a second threat. They got out and ran like mad. The lady, somewhat shaken, then proceeded to load her shopping bags into the back of the car and got into the driver's seat. She was so shaken that she could not get her key into the ignition. She tried and tried, and then she realized why. It was for the same reason she had wondered why there was a football, a Frisbee, and two 12-packs of beer in the front seat.
A few minutes later, she found her own car parked four or five spaces farther down. She loaded her bags into her own car and drove to the police station to report her mistake. The Sergeant to whom she told the story couldn't stop laughing! He pointed to the other end of the counter, where four pale men were reporting a carjacking by a mad, elderly woman described as white, less than five feet tall, glasses, curly white hair, and carrying a large handgun.
No charges were filed.
Moral of the story? If you're having a senior moment...make it memorable!

Note: I swiped this from Wendy Bell (Who it seems is a radio broadcaster of some sort that also posts on facebook.)

Jimmy Fortune

·

As many people have already seen (word travels quickly) Jimmy went in for a test on his heart and some concerning areas were found. He now will have bypass surgery on Wednesday to create new routes for his blood to his heart. He is incredibly positive and we have met with his surgeon and feel great about his care!
Unfortunately the doctor has given us a direct order to rest which means no work for a time. So there will be no shows this weekend! However, he has said that many people go back to normal activity after the 12 weeks! So we plan on being back on the road soon!
Your prayers are greatly appreciated and we know there is so much power in them so please keep them up! We know GOD HEARS US.
Jimmy says “I love you all”
🤟🏼
"

Some of you may not know the name but Jimmy was with the Statler Brothers. His signature song "Elizabeth"... (Now you'll know him...)

He is singing now with...

327797380_1588314701650447_33538873813467611_n.jpg

I really enjoy listening to them. They have a tremendous sound. The guy in the middle with the hat did the "Man of Constant Sorrow" (Brother Where Art Thou) sound track (I think). Then on the right (facing them) I think Ben Isaacs with the Isaac's gospel group..

Here is "Man of Constant Sorrow" as they performed it...

And Elizabeth...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT