ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Wow.... I keep a UPS on my computer and access point plus tie a loose loop in my electric cables. (Had an older electric engineer tell me that years ago. It was an easy adaptation and no harm so I've used it ever since on all my appliances... Who knows...😏
I use a UPS as well for my computer and NAS. I also have whole-house surge protection but when the lightning gets close I like the added peace of mind so I turn them off. I use my tablet until the storm passes.

Saluting-Legionnaire.jpg

Afternoon Legionnaires!

Cold earlier this morning with mid 30's and 30-40mph winds.

Trained my student from 0930-1030 this morning then, as we were leaving, I unlocked the door to my hooptie (2006 KIA Sportage), grabbed the handle to open the door and it broke off into my hand. Had to get in through the passenger side. Left from there and went straight to the KIA dealership to the service center side. Since it was cold and windy, they had their service door locked and had a sign saying; "for service push the buzzer". I said screw this and went around to the dealership entrance, walked through the dealership to the associate's area and went through their door.

Once in there, there were about 4 people standing around talking when one looked at me a bit puzzled and ask, "Can we help you?" I told them that earlier this morning I was bitten by a radioactive bug, and it enhanced my strength, then this happened when I went to get in the car. I held up my hand with the broken handle in it. His face changed as he began to smile and laughed a bit as did the others there. He told me to go around the corner and see Tony and he would take care of me. I told Tony the same story and he laughed as well as the cashier woman who was listening in. She thanked me for the laugh as things had been rather rough this morning. I then ask if that would get me a discount to get it fixed. They laughed again and said no. Tony then ordered the part and told me they would call me when it came in.

RIP Tim McCarver. Bernie, this one has to be tough for you. I'm old enough to remember him as a catcher and not just a broadcaster.

My favorite story he told on himself more than once: During a game, after repeatedly being waved off his pitch selection by Bob Gibson, he went out to the mound. Gibson snarled at him, "Get back behind the plate. The only thing you know about pitching is that you can't hit it."

RIP Tim McCarver. Bernie, this one has to be tough for you. I'm old enough to remember him as a catcher and not just a broadcaster.

My favorite story he told on himself more than once: During a game, after repeatedly being waved off his pitch selection by Bob Gibson, he went out to the mound. Gibson snarled at him, "Get back behind the plate. The only thing you know about pitching is that you can't hit it."
True but there was no animosity between them. When Gibby died, Tim said he loved him more than brother. He started pro ball at 17. Bill James in his book rated Tim the 24th best catcher in the history of baseball. He played a few years with Stan Musial and broadcast a few games as late as last season, a lot of years associated with baseball.

True but there was no animosity between them. When Gibby died, Tim said he loved him more than brother. He started pro ball at 17. Bill James in his book rated Tim the 24th best catcher in the history of baseball. He played a few years with Stan Musial and broadcast a few games as late as last season, a lot of years associated with baseball.
Bernie, your post drew me to the Bill James' list. No argument on McCarver's placement. But what a mistake at the very top -- Yogi Berra #1 instead of Johnny Bench?

The two actually played a remarkably similar number of games, and had strikingly similar offensive statistics. Bench had a few more home runs. Berra had a slightly high career batting average. They had roughly the same number of hits and RBI.

But Bench was far and away the better defensive catcher. I don't think there is even an argument there.

It's because of that that Bench's WAR - Wins Above Replacement - is a stratospheric 75 while Berra's is also very good -59 - but not on the same level.

Berra has a clear edge in one category - he was on more World Series champions. It pays to start your career on a team when Joe DiMaggio is still the league MVP and end it on a team when Mickey Mantle is still near his prime. That said, Bench was an MVP-level player on the greatest National League team of all time, so his career was pretty extraordinary.

Sad that even a number-cruncher like James got sucked into the New York City hype, where every player, no matter how good, was always believed to be even better.

Here's a better list, though, through no fault of their own, I don't think you can accurately and honestly rate Negro League players.

Bernie, your post drew me to the Bill James' list. No argument on McCarver's placement. But what a mistake at the very top -- Yogi Berra #1 instead of Johnny Bench?

The two actually played a remarkably similar number of games, and had strikingly similar offensive statistics. Bench had a few more home runs. Berra had a slightly high career batting average. They had roughly the same number of hits and RBI.

But Bench was far and away the better defensive catcher. I don't think there is even an argument there.

It's because of that that Bench's WAR - Wins Above Replacement - is a stratospheric 75 while Berra's is also very good -59 - but not on the same level.

Berra has a clear edge in one category - he was on more World Series champions. It pays to start your career on a team when Joe DiMaggio is still the league MVP and end it on a team when Mickey Mantle is still near his prime. That said, Bench was an MVP-level player on the greatest National League team of all time, so his career was pretty extraordinary.

Sad that even a number-cruncher like James got sucked into the New York City hype, where every player, no matter how good, was always believed to be even better.

Here's a better list, though, through no fault of their own, I don't think you can accurately and honestly rate Negro League players.

You probably have the book handy and I don't recall, but think I recall James saying it was pretty much a toss up. I'd probably agree with you on Bench though. Yogi played longer. I think in James explanation of how he rated people, he gave more weight according to something like best streak of so many consecutive years and another similar qualifier. Just like for me personally, Sandy Koufax was the best pitcher I have ever seen, but his career was short. A guy like Warren Spahnn was great for 20 years. How do you rate them or other people with differences of some sort?

Not to take up for Berra over Bench as I'd also take Bench, but looking at their careers, Berra had 3 MVP, a couple of seconds, a third and a fourth. Bench had some down years in between his best years instead of a streak of consecutive good years. As I said, James told in his book the qualifiers in his book he was using to rate players. Berra probably fit his profile better.

Not to take up for Berra over Bench as I'd also take Bench, but looking at their careers, Berra had 3 MVP, a couple of seconds, a third and a fourth. Bench had some down years in between his best years instead of a streak of consecutive good years. As I said, James told in his book the qualifiers in his book he was using to rate players. Berra probably fit his profile better.

I had several who fit into the "favorite" player role to me. Johnny Bench was one of them. Not sure why but he seemed serious about the game. He seemed okay in public. On HeeHaw he was for sure different.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 36°F and clear. Today's high may reach 55°F. Medium 13 MPH wind out of the north. Expecting a chilly walk this morning

Blasted by radiation again yesterday. This morning, my old cast-iron stomach holding up so far, albeit a little queasy this morning. Radiation = evil stuff on my tummy. Another blast scheduled this afternoon, then no more until next Monday. Treatment only takes 10 minutes, but haunts the belly for hours.

Vols visit Rupp at 1 pm EST tomorrow. You bet Rick Barnes will have his team ready to play.

Wishing y'all an awesome Happy Friday.

My favorite veggie on the planet. Can ruthlessly devour an entire cooked head at one sitting.

National-Cabbage-Day.png

Good morning from ATX. Currently 36°F and clear. Today's high may reach 55°F. Medium 13 MPH wind out of the north. Expecting a chilly walk this morning

Blasted by radiation again yesterday. This morning, my old cast-iron stomach holding up so far, albeit a little queasy this morning. Radiation = evil stuff on my tummy. Another blast scheduled this afternoon, then no more until next Monday. Treatment only takes 10 minutes, but haunts the belly for hours.

Vols visit Rupp at 1 pm EST tomorrow. You bet Rick Barnes will have his team ready to play.

Wishing y'all an awesome Happy Friday.

My favorite veggie on the planet. Can ruthlessly devour an entire cooked head at one sitting.

National-Cabbage-Day.png
ATX, I hated the thought of even eating cabbage when I was younger, one day my MOM come on just try it, I did and loved it, been eating it ever since!

Good Morning D

Just refilled my cup with some strong black coffee that should kick start the day. Old Folks sausage is frying and biscuits in the oven. Grits in the pot and life is good.

Currently 62° with sunny, clear skies and no rain in sight. The high will be 83° by midafternoon. Perfect baseball weather and Spring Training starts in a week or so. I may take in a few this year.

Today is work on your lower extremities day at the gym. I will also get in some cardiac and may work a little on my left shoulder. I trust all are well and we will keep Austin in our thoughts and prayers. He is a tough one and will be victorious.

This dolphin is feeling frisky as the sun rises over Pine Island.

00-VGoiT3Y43HCVi5zFo8RP4qAIx90G3xGFQmQ4UHj7teSHRVmXIcJZUSVv_GkTsmAHKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ

Good morning folks. Pouring cold rain on us in the east. Working from home today so let it rain.

I’m alone in the house this weekend. My wife is visiting her favorite aunt in Manhattan. I flourish under those conditions —for about72 hours.

Baseball spring training approaches. The big drama for Reds fans is: After cutting $30 million from the payroll of a team that lost 100 games, can they challenge the 1962 Mets record of 120 losses?

Actually, when you go to the fan sites, the Super Fans are full of reasoning about how the team is going to surprise everyone, and why the 3-4 rejects they picked up over the winter are poised to have all-star caliber years. Reminds me of the old musical “Damn Yankees.” All the Reds need is the Devil to intervene and Joe Hardy to show up and hit 60 homers. That would actually make them a 70 win team!

Hope you all have a good day.

Last edited:
Good morning folks. Pouring cold rain on us in the east. Working from home today so let it rain.

I’m alone in the house this weekend. My wife is visiting her favorite aunt in Manhattan. I flourish under those conditions —for about72 hours.

Baseball spring training approaches. The big drama for Reds fans is: After cutting $30 million from the payroll of a team that lost 100 games, can they challenge the 1962 Mets record of 120 losses?

Actually, when you go to the fan sites, the Super Fans are full of reasoning about how the team is going to surprise everyone, and why the 3-4 rejects they picked up over the winter are poised to have all-star caliber years. Reminds me of the old musical “Damn Yankees.” All the Reds need is the Devil to intervene and Joe Hardy to show up and hit 60 homers. That would actually make them a 70 win team!

Now you've done it, thanks. With UK struggling to make the tourney I was turning my attention to baseball.:(

Oh well, come on Bassmaster's.

Austin Peay is in Clarksville Tn, near Fort Campbell and 45 minutes from Nashville. They did the "Let's go Pee" chants on TV for an NCAA tournie game a number of years ago.
Ha ha. I took a few classes though APSU. Nearly ETSd and enrolled full-time there. Happy I stayed until retirement.

Austin Peay is in Clarksville Tn, near Fort Campbell and 45 minutes from Nashville. They did the "Let's go Pee" chants on TV for an NCAA tournie game a number of years ago.
Bernie -- I remember in my playing days (early, mid-70s)when Austin Peay had the great Fly Williams, who went on to play in the NBA.

That gave them the chance to IMPROVE the chant to "Fly is open! Let's Go Pee!"

Good Morning D

Just refilled my cup with some strong black coffee that should kick start the day. Old Folks sausage is frying and biscuits in the oven. Grits in the pot and life is good.

Currently 62° with sunny, clear skies and no rain in sight. The high will be 83° by midafternoon. Perfect baseball weather and Spring Training starts in a week or so. I may take in a few this year.

Today is work on your lower extremities day at the gym. I will also get in some cardiac and may work a little on my left shoulder. I trust all are well and we will keep Austin in our thoughts and prayers. He is a tough one and will be victorious.

This dolphin is feeling frisky as the sun rises over Pine Island.

00-VGoiT3Y43HCVi5zFo8RP4qAIx90G3xGFQmQ4UHj7teSHRVmXIcJZUSVv_GkTsmAHKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ

Or a shark is chasing him Sir.😉

I own the movie version of The Damn Yankees" brother MdW, with I think Tab Hunter and Ray Walston. It's a goodun...

My granddaughter runs 6 miles a day and 12 on the weekend in the mountains overlooking the USAF Academy out in Colorado. A few days ago she sent me this photo she took as she was running that overlooks the Academy.

The sun was setting and the mountains were covered with snow.

@cordmaker .

00-VGoiT3Y43HCVi5zFo8RP4qAIx90G3xGFQmQ4UHj7teSDlKlPfKWJRbYi03xoViJyUnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg
SC, I don't see any mountains. But beautiful.

SC, I don't see any mountains. But beautiful.
She took the picture from the highest peak looking down at the academy. The glow from the sunset may be distorting the mountain range. Trust me the mountains are there. LOL Here is another view she took and below one from ground level.

The photo she took below was from the top of Eagle Peak's Trail which is where she trains for the Marathon Club she runs with.

00-VGoiT3Y43HCVi5zFo8RP4qAIx90G3xGFQmQ4UHj7teRQEYKaaHu1VYlxr340WaR_ldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow

iu

Last edited:
She took the picture from the highest peak looking down at the academy. The glow from the sunset may be distorting the mountain range. Trust me the mountains are there. LOL Here is another view she took and below one from ground level.

00-VGoiT3Y43HCVi5zFo8RP4qAIx90G3xGFQmQ4UHj7teRQEYKaaHu1VYlxr340WaR_ldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow

iu

Largest mountains I was ever around Sir. I was in Colorado at one of the Army Recruiting stations and after work we went to one of the ski joints to have supper. I saw people on the side of the mountains skiing. They looked like specs of dust. Just could not fathom how large the mountains were. (Been around the Cumberland mountains tons... along with the Smokies...)

I hope to fish Lake George one day next week.

Internet out earlier this morning. Some flooding in eastern KY again. We'll be busy babysitting all day.

Hope everyone has a great day.
We have a lake George at Ft. Sill that they drained, cleaned out, did some work on it, and filled it back up about 3 years ago so even though they have been stocking it, it has not produced anything for me so far. Still too early I guess since restocking to get enough fish to bite from the bank. Kayaking it the next time I go to see if I can find some spots.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT