ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Good morning from ATX. Currently 79°F and partly cloudy. Today's high projected around 104°F. We may dip into double digit highs this coming weekend. Stay tuned.

Watched some open practice on WLEX last night. Great seeing everybody involved.

Wildfires happening in our county and counties near ATX. Fire in Travis County flared back up yesterday. Crews got it under control this time.

Cracked foundations becoming a problem due to this heat, according to a news report just now. Yikes!

Happy Hump Day.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

National-Watermelon-Day.jpg

Good morning D-League.

Good reports coming out on the basketball team after last nights practice. No less an expert than Goose Givens says the Cats are clearly more athletic at the 2-3-4. Of course, the 1-5 are the same as last year, but with a year’s experience, and one hopes a sense of purpose.

Apparently Antonio Reeves impressed. He wasn’t a highly rated transfer, but I found online virtually a full game video where his team took then-top ten ranked Wisconsin to the wire. And he got to the basket with ease against a highly regarded Badger defense So it puzzled me that he had been overlooked. Maybe the Cats got a steal.

We’ll know more after the Bahamas.

Hope everyone has a goood day.

RIP Vin Scully.

A few years back, when he announced his retirement, I hired a friend to interview him. I still think we got an interesting read out of it. He even - for the first time - gave his opinion on Peter Rose and the Hall of Fame, so lots of news organizations quoted our story.

Here's a link, for our resident baseball fans...

RIP Vin Scully.

A few years back, when he announced his retirement, I hired a friend to interview him. I still think we got an interesting read out of it. He even - for the first time - gave his opinion on Peter Rose and the Hall of Fame, so lots of news organizations quoted our story.

I am thankful I grew up in an age of great sports announcers. He was in my all time Top 5. I put Cawood #1, Red Barber #2, Mel Allen #3 and Vince Scully #4. And that order can change except for #1. I also put Waite Hoyt in the best of the best because my dad was a lifelong huge Cincy Reds fan and gathered us around the radio to listen to him call the Reds games. It brings back sweet memories.

RIP Vin Scully.

Vin Scully is definitely one of the best announcers to ever work the booth. Scully knew when to stop talking and allow the crowd noise to tell the story. RIP Vin Scully.

One of my favorite Scully clips:

I am thankful I grew up in an age of great sports announcers. He was in my all time Top 5. I put Cawood #1, Red Barber #2, Mel Allen #3 and Vince Scully #4. And that order can change except for #1. I also put Waite Hoyt in the best of the best because my dad was a lifelong huge Cincy Reds fan and gathered us around the radio to listen to him call the Reds games. It brings back sweet memories.
That brings back good memories -- sitting with dad and maybe an uncle and a brother listening all summer to Waite Hoyt, Jim McIntyre, Frank McCormick and others call Reds games over the radio, and then the incomparable Cawood with the call on the Cats in the winter.

Hoyt was the best during rain delays. The Cincy local PBS station did a show with and about him after he retired. I've seen it a couple of times.

That brings back good memories -- sitting with dad and maybe an uncle and a brother listening all summer to Waite Hoyt, Jim McIntyre, Frank McCormick and others call Reds games over the radio, and then the incomparable Cawood with the call on the Cats in the winter.
Claude Sullivan called their games for a couple of seasons right after Hoyt. I think his cancer stopped him.

Every dam Wednesday at noon the fire station siren goes off on & on. Hear it? I do. Loudly.
Peace - finally. Never knew it went so long till I measured it just now - 6 minutes. Wonder what they learn in last 4 that they don't learn in first 2? That it can go for 6 minutes?

Reactions: berniecarbo

Morning Legionnaires!

Triple digits still with us as well for the next few days. 103° on tap today as I venture out to train my student at noon with no AC in the building. Good news is that after many years of exhaust fans and large floor fans the owners ordered AC units that have just arrive and they will close the building down for 2 weeks starting on the 15th of August to install them. Better late than never, I guess.

No fishing this weekend as the heat does not subside much overnight. Next week it starts to cool enough at night and the days are supposed to be in the high 90's so, I can catch a few hours in the mornings to fish. Tuesday looks like a real possibility.

Getting the hooptie (2006 Kia Sportage) operational. New battery, new brake light switch replaced, all fluids replaced (been a few years, all levels were below low mark), new filters (air and fluid) replaced, new tires scheduled for Saturday, and parking light ordered to replace one that is out. Bought new tools (tire iron, jack and tool set) for the Kia. With all of this I have spent up to about $1500.00 so far. Trying to read and understand our hand-held diagnostic device to determine what else is needed before it is completely road worthy. The kicker is, MIL told my wife that she would like to have it back if we got it running. My response?

Laughing-at-libs.gif

Good morning from ATX. Currently 79°F and clear. Today's high may hit 105°F. Our high yesterday reached 106°F. Under heat advisory. Triple-digit streak continues.

Heading into the office this morning, so keeping it short.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

l-intro-1659538015.jpg

Good Morning,
I had National Chocolate Chip cookie day the last four days. I bought the BB some cookies he didn't like so I ate'em. (The BB likes the chewy cookies and these were not...) Alas, no more to celebrate...today. (I figured a row a day was fair. Had I only known today was the day, I may have bought another bag... Yeah, that is my mindset with cookies. I cannot change the intake quantity once I set the parameter(s)... (It would have taken another bag...) 😁

Last edited:

Morning Legionnaires!

Triple digits still with us as well for the next few days. 103° on tap today as I venture out to train my student at noon with no AC in the building. Good news is that after many years of exhaust fans and large floor fans the owners ordered AC units that have just arrive and they will close the building down for 2 weeks starting on the 15th of August to install them. Better late than never, I guess.

No fishing this weekend as the heat does not subside much overnight. Next week it starts to cool enough at night and the days are supposed to be in the high 90's so, I can catch a few hours in the mornings to fish. Tuesday looks like a real possibility.

Getting the hooptie (2006 Kia Sportage) operational. New battery, new brake light switch replaced, all fluids replaced (been a few years, all levels were below low mark), new filters (air and fluid) replaced, new tires scheduled for Saturday, and parking light ordered to replace one that is out. Bought new tools (tire iron, jack and tool set) for the Kia. With all of this I have spent up to about $1500.00 so far. Trying to read and understand our hand-held diagnostic device to determine what else is needed before it is completely road worthy. The kicker is, MIL told my wife that she would like to have it back if we got it running. My response?

Laughing-at-libs.gif

New cabin filter, don't forget the cabin filter.... (10 bucks but very worth it.)

Last edited:
Some people stay off of the political board for this very reason. So I have been told.

2326776.gif

Sir,

On the political board I saw that the same few said the same things no matter what. It was as if they argued just to argue and promote or cause commotion. No chances of swaying that. I left those to subsist of their own volition. (In my thinking, one of the worst things you can be is a troublemaker. Several in that thread are troublemakers.)

Last edited:
Good morning D-League. Hot and sticky already in the east.

Heading in to work on the train. Busy day ahead.

Just a few more days til we get to see the Cats in the Bahamas. Like always we’ll see things through blue tinted glasses. But that’s alright. At least in my case a little exaggerated enthusiasm right now won’t be a bad thing.

Ill catch up later. Hope you guys have a good day.

New cabin filter, don't forget the cabin filter.... (10 bucks but very worth it.)
Got them all replaced. We have the Kia running now and will get it running good before long. Going to use it for everything other than fishing and hauling (F150 duties) because it is much better on gas (4cyl) than my truck (8cyl). I knew MIL would ask for it back but, she has already wrecked her sons 20018 Kia optima twice last year. First was a mere fender bender but the second time two tires blown with wheels bent and front axle bent. Said she did not hit anything, the tires (both on right side) just blew, and she stopped the car where it was at. He does not let her drive it anymore so, she wants the Kia back now that we have it operational.

Good morning D-League. Hot and sticky already in the east.

Heading in to work on the train. Busy day ahead.

Just a few more days til we get to see the Cats in the Bahamas. Like always we’ll see things through blue tinted glasses. But that’s alright. At least in my case a little exaggerated enthusiasm right now won’t be a bad thing.

Ill catch up later. Hope you guys have a good day.
Since my New Year's resolution I started this week for weight loss, I have added a walking session every day I work out. Not a long walk yet, just a mile or so but, on my walk this morning (different route everyday so far) I came across a house a few streets over from mine that has a UK flag in the front yard. Going to have to introduce myself and maybe get a game viewing partner come this year. Going to get the ball rolling by seeing if that person is aware of the upcoming Bahamas trip to break the ice.

Already 78.3°F and partly cloudy to top out at 87°, I but we will get to 90°. We are supposed to get 90% chance of rain. I hope we get all 90% of it.

I have the four games set to record on two DVR's. I will probable set all three to record, just so I will not miss it. I am a collector of games and I get paranoid!

You all have a great Friday-Eve.

Got them all replaced. We have the Kia running now and will get it running good before long. Going to use it for everything other than fishing and hauling (F150 duties) because it is much better on gas (4cyl) than my truck (8cyl). I knew MIL would ask for it back but, she has already wrecked her sons 20018 Kia optima twice last year. First was a mere fender bender but the second time two tires blown with wheels bent and front axle bent. Said she did not hit anything, the tires (both on right side) just blew, and she stopped the car where it was at. He does not let her drive it anymore so, she wants the Kia back now that we have it operational.
As they say south of the border "no way jose!"

Since my New Year's resolution I started this week for weight loss, I have added a walking session every day I work out. Not a long walk yet, just a mile or so but, on my walk this morning (different route everyday so far) I came across a house a few streets over from mine that has a UK flag in the front yard. Going to have to introduce myself and maybe get a game viewing partner come this year. Going to get the ball rolling by seeing if that person is aware of the upcoming Bahamas trip to break the ice.

Cool stuff, it sounds like something I'd do. ;)

Good luck on the weight loss campaign, Warrior

All my life I was lucky and found it relatively easy to lose weight and maintain my weight.

Now, mid-60s, and taking an anti-inflammatory drug that warns that weight gain can be a side effect, it is suddenly very difficult for me. I'm tall so my ideal weight is about 215 -- I played hoops in college at 212 with very little body fat. I'm up in the 230s now, and cutting my food intake way down while being fairly active hasn't seemed to help.

Ah well. A good part of being older: Who are you trying to impress? Nobody.

WHOA WHOA WHOA!!!! GO RON D!!!! Help us RON D., help help us RON D.!!!

(I won't post why I stated the above but this should have already happened throughout Republican led states. It is political but just as a short.) He stopped them in their tracks!!!

Last edited:
WHOA WHOA WHOA!!!! GO RON D!!!! Help us RON D., help help us RON D.!!!

(I won't post why I stated the above but this should have already happened throughout Republican led states. It is political but just as a short.) He stopped them in their tracks!!!
We love our guv.

I watched the news conference this morning and he was brilliant. Another George Soros backed prosecutor bites the dust. It is time to clean up Hillsborough County and this will be a big step in doing that.

Sorry Sawnee...we intend to steal him and take him to the White House.

Not YET.... Well, maybe so if it is a Trump/DeSantis ticket.... We need the 12 combined years to get this "schmidt" right... (Ala Briscoe...)

HAHA what did I just point out....GOTTA be an omen if you believe that type stuff... Look Closely...

Trump/DeSantis ticket. TDS (Trump Derangement Syndrome) YES I DO!!!! 😁 😍

This morning my son and daughter in law caught a plane for Colorado Springs to attend Acceptance Day at the Academy which is tomorrow. The Cadets will be given two hours to meet with their parents so they are flying that distance for two hours in person and a day full of festivities. Cadets can have their cell phones this weekend but may have to turn them in when classes start Monday.

Acceptance Day is a big event. They even have a commemorative flag the Cadets can get which comes in a nice display with a certificate showing official acceptance into the Academy. The flag will be one flown over the festivities that day. CBT ended last week and this week has been final written tests for the first half of CBT and final physical training testing. which was the second half. You must complete CBT and pass all testing this week to advance. A percentage have dropped out.

On the academic side she has her schedule for the First Year which is Core Requirements: The third year will be electives and you will have to declare a major at that time. Her First Semester Classes include: Economics 201 with emphasis on National Security; Engineering Basics of Flight and Jet Propulsion; Calculus 4 ; Officer Leadership 100; English 111; Behavioral Sciences 110; National Security; Warrior Ethos and the foreign language is Chinese. There are four foreign languages that are core and you have to master one. In addition to Chinese you can choose Russian, Arabic or Japanese. Other foreign languages are offered as electives. Spanish, French, etc.

It should be a day of fun tomorrow with parades, speeches, fly overs and cannon firing. They become Fourth Year Cadets and are assigned a Squadron for their class. This is a huge day in the life of a Cadet.

OIP.wfizl9O_Os9FEYZCEsKzJAHaE7

Sorry Sawnee...we intend to steal him and take him to the White House.
If he does become President I pity the George Soros prosecutors across the nation. They are his number one target in law enforcement. He would also clean house in the FBI and CIA. Any program which answers to the Executive Branch would be purged.

It would be a liberal blood bath. No wonder they are trying to destroy him. They know what is coming if he is elected.

I just received an email. My granddaughter has been assigned to Vikings Nine Squadron.

Squadron 9: Viking Nine
The dragon ships used by Vikings provoked fear in their enemies and represented their fearlessness, power, and audacity- all traits exemplified by Squadron 9 members. Like their namesake, Viking Nine cadets embody unmatched boldness and determination

CS9.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT