ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Today starts the SIXTH week of my car being in the garage waiting on a fuel line. When I first had it towed to the dealer they told me I could have a loner car. I turned them down saying it would be a waste of money because it is only my wife and I at home, I have a truck and we don't work. So one vehicle would be staying in the garage most of the time. Just trying to be a nice guy and good customer.

Now I am have regrets because if I had one of their cars they might try a little harder to get that part. This world is falling apart. Nothing is working the way it should. Surely somewhere on this earth their is a spare fuel line for an Audi Q5 3.2 Quattro. No?

Sir,
Just my thinking but you may try going back and telling them you need one now if they will. ;) (Hindsight) (You never know...) May just be a paperweight in your drive but...

(Just typing out loud...)

Ought not mess with those Mississippi Squirrels!

Especially in.................. Florida...

Ron Desantis may not want to fool with one of those...

😁

Morning Legionnaires!

We have 69° on tap for today with 70° for tomorrow. Wednesday is another big shift with 95°. Winds continue in the 20's-30mph with gust a little higher for all days.

@AustinTXCat Glad to hear your dog is doing well and hope she continues.

Nothing going on today, will probably watch some tube this morning and fall asleep doing it. Was watching a few episodes of cheers yesterday with one in particular having Harry Anderson (Harry the Hat) helping Coach and the gang get their money back from a card sharp. Two of my favorite comedies of all time were Cheers and Night Court with Coach and Bull being my favorite characters and Carla and Dan being a close second on each show.

Hello D League.

I trust all are well and have enjoyed a nice breakfast to get you going. My doctor told me to drink a lot of black coffee and eat plenty of eggs. I like both so I can handle that. He also wants me to cut down on salt as the years go by. I remember when they told my grandpa to do that. He didn't take to kindly to it because he carried a can of vienna sausages or sardines in his pocket when working out in the field and the doc said they contained a lot of sodium.

I looked at my calendar and I have a clean slate this week. No appointments, no birthdays or anything else to be concerned with. So I can do what I want and continue down the path.

The weather should be nice today. We have 67° at the present and will get up to 81° this afternoon. The humidity will remain manageable and chances of rain are low. I have some tweeking to do with my sprinkler system and that will give me something to do. My wife ordered 4 live oak trees for the yard and I told her we will be dead for 50 years before they get as tall as the house. She said whoever is around then will have a nice shade. She has a point.

Have a great day.

c3306de6690499979fff9c0837f7ab74.jpg

Good morning from ATX. Currently 63°F and clear. High for the day heading for 81°F. Mostly overcast again yesterday.

We've reached Day 11 with no messes and voracious appetite. Caring for a big dog is like taking care of a little kid. So glad she's still here.

Called cuz on Nolin Lake yesterday. Said his power was out from the storms for about 26 hours. He was about to bring a generator up when lights came back on. He keeps all kinds of fish, wild turkey and other game in his freezer. Thankfully, nothing spoiled.

Monday, Monday....

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

lineman.jpg
Looks like a Wichita lineman.

images

Good morning D-League.

I was listening to a music podcast today and came across something I didn't know.

Wilson Pickett was recording an album in Muscle Shoals in 1969, and one of the studio musicians kept bugging him to do a cover of the Beatles' Hey Jude which had come out recently. Eventually, he agreed, and the unknown guitar player -- Duane Allman before he had started the Allman Brothers -- blew everyone away with his solo on the part where the Beatles' just drone on with "na na na na nana na na..."

Worth a listen.

Good morning D-League.

I was listening to a music podcast today and came across something I didn't know.

Wilson Pickett was recording an album in Muscle Shoals in 1969, and one of the studio musicians kept bugging him to do a cover of the Beatles' Hey Jude which had come out recently. Eventually, he agreed, and the unknown guitar player -- Duane Allman before he had started the Allman Brothers -- blew everyone away with his solo on the part where the Beatles' just drone on with "na na na na nana na na..."

Worth a listen.

That cut was also included on Duane's 1st Anthology album which I have on both vinyl and CD. Wore out the album playing it so much. It's amazing how many artists the man played with in such a short amount of time. Died tragically at 24 years. As you can tell I'm a fan.

Sir,
Just my thinking but you may try going back and telling them you need one now if they will. ;) (Hindsight) (You never know...) May just be a paperweight in your drive but...

(Just typing out loud...)

Ought not mess with those Mississippi Squirrels!

Especially in.................. Florida...

Ron Desantis may not want to fool with one of those...

😁
Town and Country Ford gets slow if you don't wait for your vehicle......if you drop it off it takes two days to get an oil change................customer service is a thing of the past.........people are no longer appreciative of your business.........now I know why all my customers treated me like I was their best friend.........I haven't hit a lick at a snake for 23 yrs.........I still get Christmas gifts from several of them.......

I hit a deer a few days ago with my mini van that I use for deliveries. I know nothing about cars, but Jan and I guessed maybe 800 dollars in damages. Got an estimate of just under 4 thousand. The insurance company approved it with no problem. The repair shop didn't have an opening till June 6. Unlike with Sawnee, it is drivable though.
DIL SUV in shop 6 weeks now waiting on a timing belt. Driven the loaner so much she's called them & asked if it's due for an oil change.

DIL SUV in shop 6 weeks now waiting on a timing belt. Driven the loaner so much she's called them & asked if it's due for an oil change.
That was my mistake. I turned down a loaner thinking it would be in the shop a few hours or at the most a day. I thought a loaner would be more trouble than worth and I wanted to be a good customer and not take advantage of them. I learned a valuable lesson. At my age that says something because I am past the age of needing to learn anything. Just let me be

Good morning D-League.

Worth a listen.

😁

44.2°F and rainy. We are supposed to top out at 52. We have had .37" of rain so far.

Good to here Austins pup is doing better.

I needed to mow today but it looks too wet unless it dries out quick, which I doubt.

Edit: Geeze I saw that horrible sentence structure and had to change it.

Last edited:
Good morning D-League.

Worth a listen.

Great guitar,

I like me some Wilson Pickett but that rendition is not my cup of tea. It may stem from about every rythm/ soul singer trying to make things their own with their adlib vocals and it was real hard to come up with a better rendition for that particular song than the Beatles rendition (To this day.)

In any event, you cannot beat good guitar.....

I laughed a brother off a stage once up in Detroit at a club. To this day I know that dude doesn't like me... Thought he was Aretha Franklin but was more of a drunk Al Franken... (Another time for that story... ;)) (All I remember blurting out was...."Aretha you ain't...")

Tell that to a Black man in a Black club being a White Dude and you can kind of get where I am coming from. Good thing many knew me...

Great guitar,

I like me some Wilson Pickett but that rendition is not my cup of tea. It may stem from about every rythm/ soul singer trying to make things their own with their adlib vocals and it was real hard to come up with a better rendition for that particular song than the Beatles rendition (To this day.)

In any event, you cannot beat good guitar.....

I laughed a brother off a stage once up in Detroit at a club. To this day I know that dude doesn't like me... Thought he was Aretha Franklin but was more of a drunk Al Franken... (Another time for that story... ;)) (All I remember blurting out was...."Aretha you ain't...")

Tell that to a Black man in a Black club being a White Dude and you can kind of get where I am coming from. Good thing many knew me...
The Beatles rendition is obviously the best until they left Linda McCartney's mic open.

Today starts the SIXTH week of my car being in the garage waiting on a fuel line. When I first had it towed to the dealer they told me I could have a loner car. I turned them down saying it would be a waste of money because it is only my wife and I at home, I have a truck and we don't work. So one vehicle would be staying in the garage most of the time. Just trying to be a nice guy and good customer.

Now I am have regrets because if I had one of their cars they might try a little harder to get that part. This world is falling apart. Nothing is working the way it should. Surely somewhere on this earth their is a spare fuel line for an Audi Q5 3.2 Quattro. No?
I looked at ECS tuning, I used to order some stuff from them for my BMW's, and they show it will ship on April 29. You should call a salvage yard and they'll locate one in minutes. Never turn down anything from the dealer.

Good morning! Good for me anyway, I slept right through it.

Wanted to play golf today but I'm done with cold and wet golf for a while.

@AustinTXCat glad to hear your dog is doing so much better!

Have a great day!

44.2°F and rainy. We are supposed to top out at 52. We have had .37" of rain so far.

Good to here Austins pup is doing better.

I needed to mow today but it looks too wet unless it dries out quick, which I doubt.

Edit: Geeze I saw that horrible sentence structure and had to change it.
If it is understood (message in the structure) it's all good.

At first glance, that looked like the humongous banyan tree that I woke up under one morning after a late night at the Green Parrot in Key West.

When I got back to the house we were renting my wife was on the phone with the police. LOL
Here's Green Parrot during mid-March, 2014. I camped out at Sigsbee NAS and rode my folding bike around the island. Great times.

604074_10203063030997268_2022465740_n.jpg

My second day there, I left that place at about 3:00 pm and got hit/grazed by the Conch Train.

Key West, I'm positive, took a year or two off of my life.
Key West is Key West, There are few if any places like the Conch Republic.

Sometime in the mid 80's I was standing in a store front window with my wife and we were looking at a few pieces of jewelry. We were on a main street in Key West. Lots of people around. I was holding my wife's hand. I felt something to my left and a prostitute is leaning over to whisper in my ear and was propositioning me. My wife is naive to such matters and was bewildered to say the least but she let that ole' girl skimpy dressed in red have it.

I couldn't help but laugh. Welcome to Key West honey.

My second day there, I left that place at about 3:00 pm and got hit/grazed by the Conch Train.

Key West, I'm positive, took a year or two off of my life.
[laughing]

Good party down there. Took a bus from Orlando to Miami. Rode city train and 2 different buses to Florida City. Got on another bus to Marathon Key. From there, Monroe County bus down to Key West. 10 hours and $9.35.

Camped out on the beach at Sigsbee. Lovely sunrises. Stayed 3 days. Had a blast.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 57°F and clear. Our high predicted at around 77°F. Possibility for badly needed rain tomorrow and Thursday.

Day 12 and we can't wait to eat. Belly got full. She's laying on the floor right now. We're going outside in a few.

Just heard City of Austin start giving 85 people $1,000 per month. Guess I can forget about such an offer.

CgbPmzaXEAQK9yW.jpg

Here's Green Parrot during mid-March, 2014. I camped out at Sigsbee NAS and rode my folding bike around the island. Great times.

604074_10203063030997268_2022465740_n.jpg
I first went to Key West in 1977. One of the first things everyone who has ever been there hears is, "You should have been here ten years ago, before it was ruined." In my case, there was some truth to that. I was 21, and working in Boca Raton. I'd made a buddy who was in his early 30s, and all he could talk about was a certain bar in Key West, "where there are more wild, free-loving women than anywhere in the country." He went on like this for weeks, until we could finally get a long weekend to head for Key West...

We go directly to the bar he's been day dreaming about and building up in my mind for weeks, have a seat, and start drinking a beer. We must be early, because none of the red hot beauties are there yet, just lots of guys with nice haircuts and bright, tight fitting clothes...It takes us about 15 minutes and lots of flirty glances to realize his "Honey Hole" is now a Gay Bar....

One more Key West story. I quickly grew to love the place during my years in Florida, and would go down there whenever I could. On one trip, a former college basketball teammate from Cincinnati and I get so wasted and distracted that by the time we leave, we need to drive all night so he can catch a flight from Miami in the morning.

Then, about 3 am, we run out of gas along some long dark stretch of the Keys where there is nothing but mangrove swamps on either side of the narrow highway. My buddy staggers into the back seat and passes out, leaving me to deal with this however I can.

I start hitch-hiking north - hell we hadn't passed anything to the south for an hour, so might as well. And I get lucky -- this old rattly truck stops for me. A tough looking Hispanic dude gets out and motions me to sit between him and another bad hombre. They don't say a word at firsts, just start driving. Then they start talking back and forth in Spanish. Then - I swear this is true - the driver reaches under the seat, pulls out what looks like an old .357 magnum revolver, and hands it across me to the other guy, who puts it under his seat. We drive on for a while after this, then they suddenly turn down some narrow, haunted looking path to the east. They drive about five minutes then stop. More talking back and forth. I've pretty much decided I'm going to be robbed and shot and left out here as gator bait. But I can't think of anything to do, wedged between these guys, so I just sit there. Finally, the driver just starts again, wheels back to the main road, drives another ten minutes to where I can see an all-night gas station, and pulls over and lets me out. My legs are so rubbery I can barely walk, but I get a can of gas and some guy hanging around the station takes five bucks to drive me back to my car.

Ah, Key West, America's dead end.

Last edited:
I first went to Key West in 1977. One of the first things everyone who has ever been there hears is, "You should have been here ten years ago, before it was ruined." In my case, there was some truth to that. I was 21, and working in Boca Raton. I'd made a buddy who was in his early 30s, and all he could talk about was a certain bar in Key West, "where there are more wild, free-loving women than anywhere in the country." He went on like this for weeks, until we could finally get a long weekend to head for Key West...

We go directly to the bar he's been day dreaming about and building up in my mind for weeks, have a seat, and start drinking a beer. We must be early, because none of the red hot beauties are there yet, just lots of guys with nice haircuts and bright, tight fitting clothes...It takes us about 15 minutes and lots of flirty glances to realize his "Honey Hole" is now a Gay Bar....
Funny. Reminds me of a trip to the Red Rose bar in Frankfort Germany. Me and a buddy had heard of it (from other soldiers) as a place where there were always a lot of women. So, he and I took a taxi to the bar and went in. They were right, it was full of women and it did not take long to find out they were not interested in men but knew a few friends of theirs that were. The friends they were talking about turned out to be men.

The soldiers that sent us there got a big chuckle out of that.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 57°F and clear. Our high predicted at around 77°F. Possibility for badly needed rain tomorrow and Thursday.

Day 12 and we can't wait to eat. Belly got full. She's laying on the floor right now. We're going outside in a few.

Just heard City of Austin start giving 85 people $1,000 per month. Guess I can forget about such an offer.

CgbPmzaXEAQK9yW.jpg

Good to hear about your Dog ATXC. Real good to hear.

My darling will have to "learn" that place something though about these...(I eat them regularly.) Just enjoyable food...

278533560_5576521015694766_3366294932283855785_n.jpg

Good Morning all...

Last edited:
Funny. Reminds me of a trip to the Red Rose bar in Frankfort Germany. Me and a buddy had heard of it (from other soldiers) as a place where there were always a lot of women. So, he and I took a taxi to the bar and went in. They were right, it was full of women and it did not take long to find out they were not interested in men but knew a few friends of theirs that were. The friends they were talking about turned out to be men.

The soldiers that sent us there got a big chuckle out of that.

Man I remember my first spotlight tour to Wiesbaden. Had my first taste of Dark Beer the first night. I could hold the head of that beer in my hand after I cut it off with a knife. (Seriously) I had a good time that night. I drank and drank that beer...
So drunk... never remember being that drunk. I think I wet the bed some early that next morning as I could not move but during the nights partying an old girl I was in basic training with climbed into bed with me. I kicked her out. I wasn't that drunk...

One more Key West story. I quickly grew to love the place during my years in Florida, and would go down there whenever I could. On one trip, a former college basketball teammate from Cincinnati and I get so wasted and distracted that by the time we leave, we need to drive all night so he can catch a flight from Miami in the morning.

Then, about 3 am, we run out of gas along some long dark stretch of the Keys where there is nothing but mangrove swamps on either side of the narrow highway. My buddy staggers into the back seat and passes out, leaving me to deal with this however I can.

I start hitch-hiking north - hell we hadn't passed anything to the south for an hour, so might as well. And I get lucky -- this old rattly truck stops for me. A tough looking Hispanic dude gets out and motions me to sit between him and another bad hombre. They don't say a word at firsts, just start driving. Then they start talking back and forth in Spanish. Then - I swear this is true - the driver reaches under the seat, pulls out what looks like an old .357 magnum revolver, and hands it across me to the other guy, who puts it under his seat. We drive on for a while after this, then they suddenly turn down some narrow, haunted looking path to the east. They drive about five minutes then stop. More talking back and forth. I've pretty much decided I'm going to be robbed and shot and left out here as gator bait. But I can't think of anything to do, wedged between these guys, so I just sit there. Finally, the driver just starts again, wheels back to the main road, drives another ten minutes to where I can see an all-night gas station, and pulls over and lets me out. My legs are so rubbery I can barely walk, but I get a can of gas and some guy hanging around the station takes five bucks to drive me back to my car.

Ah, Key West, America's dead end.
Great stories,

One of my favorite uncles was a Conch native of Key West. Uncle Charlie Lazo. His family had been there for many generations and were originally from Spain. They had been involved in the "marine salvage" business which was pretty much why Key West was founded. Ships from Europe headed to the Caribbean and Cuba were often sunk off of the coast due to Pirates or storms. It was a very lucrative business and his family became very wealthy.

Uncle Charlie had blue eyes and light skin. It became a deep olive when he was exposed for a time in the sun. He had 5 children and all of them had blue eyes and two daughters were natural blond. Spain was in their blood. The Conch are very proud of their heritage and there are not many left. They were fiercely independent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conch_Republic

1280px-Flag_of_Key_West%2C_Florida.svg.png

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT