ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

I have no idea why, but the other day, a tourist park that used to exist, down near Cumberland Falls IIRC popped into my head.

I remember going there when I was pretty young. It had a working steam engine train, an old west town, and they put on a show, complete with gunfights etc.

What the hell was the name of that place? It had to be late 60's when I went, so it's kind of fuzzy.

Sounds like a great stop

This is my favorite version of the song. Red is another native of Kentucky who did what he did well. If I remember he was from Berea not to far from Renfro Valley. I visited the Renfro Valley several times and always enjoyed the show.

I've driven by there many times on my way back and forth between Indiana and SE Kentucky. But never stopped. On old US25. I75 had not been built yet. We always stopped at Dogpatch in London going back north. Everybody did.

32519451403_77bc2e5be6_3k.jpg

I have no idea why, but the other day, a tourist park that used to exist, down near Cumberland Falls IIRC popped into my head.

I remember going there when I was pretty young. It had a working steam engine train, an old west town, and they put on a show, complete with gunfights etc.

What the hell was the name of that place? It had to be late 60's when I went, so it's kind of fuzzy.
I was at the Louisville antique mall on Mellwood ave. today and upstairs they have a room set up with model trains. Evidently there is a group that meets there. Might be a good place for you to get rid of your trains.

You outed me Bert. I plead guilty. :)

As I get older I know the time is approaching soon where I will be laid under the Live Oak tree in the pioneer section of the oldest cemetery in Pinellas Co, FL in a grave about 15 from my g-g-g-grandfather William Taylor.

When I was a young child my grandmother would rock me in her rocker and sing me this song. This is an old one written in 1864. Take me home to the sweet sunny South, take me home.

I read my hometown obituaries regularly. Nearly every week someone I went to school with or played with dies. Almost all of them were teenagers the last time I saw them. You, me and Don are hitting 79 now and it's starting to get real. (I do like to cheer things up). I have no fear of death though as long as it is quick and not a drawn out affair.

The only people that may care are Matt Jones wrestling fans and since he has come out of the closet, I am not sure how many he will have now. On second thought maybe Kentucky has more social deviants than I am aware of. Heck what do I know. Some are saying the LBQRSTUVFU crowd number about 40% of the population so there must be a market for it. Jones is making the $$$$$$$$$ and he is the face of the University of Kentucky athletic department in the social media

FQUoSrmXMAUmvp1

FQUr23vWUAIwTe5
I'm hearing that KS Bar will soon be changing its name to something more appropriate.

I read my hometown obituaries regularly. Nearly every week someone I went to school with or played with dies. Almost all of them were teenagers the last time I saw them. You, me and Don are hitting 79 now and it's starting to get real. (I do like to cheer things up). I have no fear of death though as long as it is quick and not a drawn out affair.
I have been thinking about it a lot lately myself much to the chagrin of my wife. While not as old as you, people do die younger than the age I am now. However, my mother passed at 74 and my biological father at 84 so... Many from my high school have already passed. While I don't want to leave my wife and daughter just yet (need to pay some bills off) I don't fear it as I did when I was younger. I just pray to God that like you it is not drawn out and it is rather painless.

I've driven by there many times on my way back and forth between Indiana and SE Kentucky. But never stopped. On old US25. I75 had not been built yet. We always stopped at Dogpatch in London going back north. Everybody did.

32519451403_77bc2e5be6_3k.jpg
This little spot brings back memories. I was attending Summer Camp at Levi Jackson State Park in London and a group of us boys decided to go over and check it out. The thing I remember most is a little girl got bit by a monkey and screamed and hollered for about 10 minutes.

This is how I remembered it. Dog Patch has a little gift shop off of I-75 now at one of the London exits. I last visited it about 15 years ago. I reckon it is still around.

We are at that age starchief and I am having the same experiences with friends and loved ones. They are leaving one by one. In my life, the sting of death was much deeper in my younger days. I lost a very close childhood friend in Vietnam when he was 18. That hurt for years and still does when I think of what may have been. He was a good boy.

This year I have lost my two closest first cousins. One was 86 and the other 75. The event we are celebrating this weekend gives me faith and trust of a better life to come. I too have no fear and if I had to live life over again, I would only change a few thing. It has exceeded my dreams and I have no regrets.

Look at that moon outside. :)

00-VGoiT3Y43HCVi5zFo8RP4qAIx90G3xGFQmQ4UHj7teThCqrbErErhJv3Fga6sMhN

Last edited:
Good morning from ATX. It's 71°F and cloudy. Our high expected around 94°F. Should cool off tomorrow with lows back in the upper-50s.

We're on Day 9 with no messes and eating well. My girl got aggressive with doctor at vet yesterday. She loves his assistant. Anyway, changing diet to part dry/part wet food. Seems she's adopting okay.

Going shopping later this morning because all local grocery stores closed tomorrow.

Originally planned on heading back east today, but my girl came down sick. Meh, locked in a cheaper car rental rate for 4th July week.

Y'all enjoy your weekend. Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

NATIONAL-EGGS-BENEDICT-DAY-%E2%80%93-April-16.png

Good morning! Rare event last night. Went to sleep shortly after 2300 and didn't wake up until 0730. That's gonna make for a long day.

I'm going out to the workshop today to start on something. It's been too long since I've power tooled.

Only supposed to get up to 64° today. Back in the 50's for highs to start the week. I hope it's not another cold Derby Day this year. Should have moved that to the first Saturday in June many years ago.

Don't shoot until you see the whites of their eyes!

Morning folks, a cloudy 51.8°F go up to 65° with a small chance of rain. My company got here last night from Cape Cod. We had a wonderful chat with her over some wine. She will be here for about a week and spend most of the days with two of her children that live in Bowling Green and Hiseville.

Arizona company tonight and steaks are planned.

You all have a good Saturday.

Nah, you are convoluted and I see MD likes it as well as B31 (That part saddens me.) In any event I was taken in by this fine group of decent family men and women. You seem to have no concept of "control" or "dumb". That is okay with me. If you look down on me or anything I do, I am okay with that. You call me a simple man, I thank you for that. I try to keep it simple.

You seem to enjoy the nasty and filthy. I defend against that, I always have. Some nice people asked you to not bring your filth here but to introduce yourself. You couldn't respect that (I knew you wouldn't as I have seen your posts.) You are a vile poster, the worst sort. A troublemaker. (I had hoped you'd change but it is a character flaw.)

if I am not you, I count that a blessing. No hate, no anger, no vitriol, just thankful. I will call a spade a spade though.
Hey BBUK - not sure exactly what the issue is, but sometimes I get busy and “like” a bunch of posts without scrutinizing them. Usually on here it is the same bunch of guys I respect so I’m not risking anything just to indicate my general approval.

But it looks like there has been some tension on the board so let me state for the record I was not intending to endorse any attacks or criticism of guys I’ve come to be fond of as part of D-League.

If I get time I’ll go back and review what’s been happening.

Good morning! Rare event last night. Went to sleep shortly after 2300 and didn't wake up until 0730. That's gonna make for a long day.

I'm going out to the workshop today to start on something. It's been too long since I've power tooled.

Only supposed to get up to 64° today. Back in the 50's for highs to start the week. I hope it's not another cold Derby Day this year. Should have moved that to the first Saturday in June many years ago.

Don't shoot until you see the whites!

Good morning all. Just made a pan of biscuits and me, my Darling, and the BB are eating. Actually my Darling is making homemade doughnut holes with sugar and cinnamon for a planned trip to the woods. The BB is eating banana pancakes...

Oh, Bert31, in this "modern day" I fixed your post so it is politically and morally acceptable.... Jmuo...

Hey BBUK - not sure exactly what the issue is, but sometimes I get busy and “like” a bunch of posts without scrutinizing them. Usually on here it is the same bunch of guys I respect so I’m not risking anything just to indicate my general approval.

But it looks like there has been some tension on the board so let me state for the record I was not intending to endorse any attacks or criticism of guys I’ve come to be fond of as part of D-League.

No biggie, just me I guess but if I like something, I like it.

I'm also sometimes guilty of liking a post with only a quick glance at it when I'm busy. I feel like I was invited into someone's home when I made my first post here. When I noticed the guy was being a pest, I noted people should be treated with respect here and then figured the best policy was ignore to see if he would go away. I skipped over all posts for awhile, so I probably missed some good posts, but I figured answering him was what he wanted from people.

Things I've seen or read about today...

Matt Jones is having a drag party/contest or whatever at his bar on May 1st. There is a 5 page thread about it from last night on the Paddock. Why? I'll tell you what concerns me more than that...that "E" they put at the end of grill in their name. KSBar and Grille. Drop the e.

"NUCLEAR DEVICE MISSING...As soon as I saw the picture I knew what the device was. Most would not have a clue. I have happened to use one in my travels. They contain a very small amount of radioactive material and you would have to go well out of your way to release any of it. It would take tools and effort to get it out.

They are warning people to stay away from it and to not touch it. I looked at the comments and saw people talking about Proud Boys building a bomb and questions about could an IED be turned into a nuclear "dirty bomb' with this thing. Yet another reason why we can't have nice things. Too many people allow the media to think for them. Speaking of that...

Another black man who resisted and then fought with a police officer ended up on the business end of a 9mm. I saw the video. I know what happened. Once again we have video that would be perfect for showing people how not to act if you are pulled over. Instead, the media wants us to think the officer caused the incident. The people who attempt to monetize this kind of thing are much worse than the officer. They're worse than the dead idiot.

I'm also sometimes guilty of liking a post with only a quick glance at it when I'm busy. I feel like I was invited into someone's home when I made my first post here. When I noticed the guy was being a pest, I noted people should be treated with respect here and then figured the best policy was ignore to see if he would go away. I skipped over all posts for awhile, so I probably missed some good posts, but I figured answering him was what he wanted from people.
There were just a couple of us liking posts years ago. It is a great way to keep track of where you left off.

The next time someone comes here for anything other than joining in a productive manner, I suggest we just put that person on ignore and go on about our business. We've all made it through quite a bit in our lives and I'm sure we can handle this kind of pestilence without involving the adults.

There were just a couple of us liking posts years ago. It is a great way to keep track of where you left off.

The next time someone comes here for anything other than joining in a productive manner, I suggest we just put that person on ignore and go on about our business. We've all made it through quite a bit in our lives and I'm sure we can handle this kind of pestilence without involving the adults.
I put the person in question on ignore a couple of years ago. He was attacking Austin and Warrior Cat so I zapped him.

Morning folks, a cloudy 51.8°F go up to 65° with a small chance of rain. My company got here last night from Cape Cod. We had a wonderful chat with her over some wine. She will be here for about a week and spend most of the days with two of her children that live in Bowling Green and Hiseville.

Arizona company tonight and steaks are planned.

You all have a good Saturday.
The AZ folks - are they driving there? Where are they from in AZ?

Another black man who resisted and then fought with a police officer ended up on the business end of a 9mm. I saw the video. I know what happened. Once again we have video that would be perfect for showing people how not to act if you are pulled over. Instead, the media wants us to think the officer caused the incident. The people who attempt to monetize this kind of thing are much worse than the officer. They're worse than the dead idiot.
I get up early and listen to a local radio show from 6 AM to 9 AM. Our local sheriff is interviewed for about 30 minutes a couple of times a week. Also sheriff's in surrounding counties appear on the show several times a week.

All of the sheriffs are very instructive on what to do if you are pulled over by a deputy. The first thing is tell them if you are carrying a fire arm. Even if you have a carry permit, tell them. The second thing is if you decide to use force to resist you are taking your life into your own hands. If you go to the extreme and pull a firearm on a deputy or try to take his firearm he is trained to kill you. And he will.

Now as a resident of this area I understand this so there are no questions . I know. If a person does not know then that too is their fault because the word it out. They should have been informed and paid attention.

The story always turns back to "it was a minor offense". Yes it was, until the idiot thought he didn't need to abide by the rules in place to provide a civilized society for the rest of us.

CIVILIZED LIVES MATTER!

Those 2 men were both fighting for their lives. The good guy won.

This little spot brings back memories. I was attending Summer Camp at Levi Jackson State Park in London and a group of us boys decided to go over and check it out. The thing I remember most is a little girl got bit by a monkey and screamed and hollered for about 10 minutes.

This is how I remembered it. Dog Patch has a little gift shop off of I-75 now at one of the London exits. I last visited it about 15 years ago. I reckon it is still around.
What I remember most was a monkey masturbating in front of the crowd and all the screaming that came with it.

No traveling plans. I was hoping to find someone to bring me back a case of Luck's Pinto Beans if they had room.in their car. Can't get them out here
One of these guys ( @Bert Higginbotha ) can send you a private message and get your address. He'll give it to me over the phone and I will then mail you a case of Luck's Pinto Beans. That's how things work.

Probably me and I apologize to the D for that. He and I had many arguments. He has followed me to other places in the past. I guess to be the best he has to try and take down the best. News flash, he isn't good enough.
You're fine . I know I have little to zero concern with anything that occurred. I'm not likely to subsidize and feed the starving beast. Who needs a pest? . . . A lonely pest.
OK, you just happened upon this thread. Did you read any of it? Before we go any further though, I should tell you that I'm the least of your problems here. I agree with certain points you made earlier. Everyone here does. We are not a fringe element. We are about 1200 years of collective experience.

I'm sure you are a well traveled, well read individual. If you are who I think you are, then you should have no problem in redeeming yourself and winning over the group.

Welcome aboard!
Did he gain composure, get lost or get tossed. Not worried just curious how things work.
Still the greatest cooking tool since the discovery of fire. We had pan seared trout tonight and it was fabulous.

71NwXbY+6nL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
71r-dLz7UVL._AC_SX679_.jpg

An angry troll followed the warrior into the oasis. He fidn't dit.

I do that alot but only for the D because I like this thread.
No biggie, just me I guess but if I like something, I like it
I like the posters here in the D.
MpX9XG8g_o.jpg

Last edited:
I get up early and listen to a local radio show from 6 AM to 9 AM. Our local sheriff is interviewed for about 30 minutes a couple of times a week. Also sheriff's in surrounding counties appear on the show several times a week.

All of the sheriffs are very instructive on what to do if you are pulled over by a deputy. The first thing is tell them if you are carrying a fire arm. Even if you have a carry permit, tell them. The second thing is if you decide to use force to resist you are taking your life into your own hands. If you go to the extreme and pull a firearm on a deputy or try to take his firearm he is trained to kill you. And he will.

Now as a resident of this area I understand this so there are no questions . I know. If a person does not know then that too is their fault because the word it out. They should have been informed and paid attention.
I've never been a policeman in civilian life, but I was a military policeman, 99% security, but taught the basics of law enforcement. I seldom get pulled over, but when I do, my hands go to the top of the steering wheel, in plain sight. Policeman are human. When they approach you, they aren't sure what is going to happen. They may be nervous. One of the main things they worry about is your hands. Where are your hands? What are you doing with them? Why make a potentially nervous man with a gun even more nervous? Keep your hands in plain sight and you will start the encounter in a calmer fashion.

Mid-Century architecture/design is my favorite.

Recently watched a documentary on the Oyler House.

78362e93cb2eaa882cec099eb929380e-the20oyler20house.jpg

(That being said, Frank Lloyd Wright was a POS horrible human being, and his houses leaked like sieves. Not that he had anything to do with the Oyler house, I just wanted to get that out there.)
Visited Fallingwater. Gorgeous. And falling apart in places. That cantilevered balcony has had to be reinforced several times to keep from falling off.

World Heritage Site

Visited

The cost of shipping is prohibitive. Ends up about $5 a can with shipping. Way too much. I was just flashing the idea of someone buying a case there if they had room in a vehicle and I would meet them in this area sometime and reimburse them. Did not wish anyone to go to a lot of trouble.

What is strange is that those beans are packed in Tucson but not available anywhere out West.

The cost of shipping is prohibitive. Ends up about $5 a can with shipping. Way too much. I was just flashing the idea of someone buying a case there if they had room in a vehicle and I would meet them in this area sometime and reimburse them. Did not wish anyone to go to a lot of trouble.

What is strange is that those beans are packed in Tucson but not available anywhere out West.
You can get them on Amazon with free shipping but the cost is $21.00 for 6. That seems like a lot of money for canned beans.

No traveling plans. I was hoping to find someone to bring me back a case of Luck's Pinto Beans if they had room.in their car. Can't get them out here

Sir,
I checked, the cheapest I found for luck's Pinto beans for 6 x 15oz cans is $21.32 let me know (sounds kind of high) and I will have them shipped to you. (No shipping cost)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT