ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Good morning from ATX. Currently 76°F and clear. Muggy. Humid. Today's high expected reaching 97°F. Summer is certainly here.

Ventured into my workplace office yesterday. It looks like time stood still. Surprisingly very little dust after 15 months away. Eerie in some respects.

Normal Sunday routine in effect. Plan on walking in a few. Must clean up a few things around our home office. Shopping around noon. Zaxby's this afternoon.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

Iaf4Zcvu1XRCl4Rlj2ciaBcsmgJcT2nNp1m1XxWBcNktjc8Q0dadMCtcAGTU3BnAz6i9el5_VuU7_on7bwmSpxykH9fM7Abx7la4fsh6RPswjHg1gjQSW7C9E-URun2OLOBHN7ZJ-A

When I first moved to Atlanta I found that Southerners (the good 'ol Southerners) have black eyed peas for New Years Day dinner. That, pork and 'greens' (and other things of their choice). Peas and greens are for good luck in the coming year financially....peas is coins and greens are dollars.
Had never heard of it till I moved there.
This is a typical New Year's Day meal at my house. We were cooking black eyes with ham hocks and collards with ham hocks. The peas will be served over rice to make "Hoppin' John" I also add some hot peppers to it. The collards are served with hot pepper sauce I make out of vinegar and whole green and red tabasco peppers.

This tradition must go back hundreds of years. It was my grandpa's favorite meal and he said his mother, born in 1853, also made it.

enhance

This is a typical New Year's Day meal at my house. We were cooking black eyes with ham hocks and collards with ham hocks. The peas will be served over rice to make "Hoppin' John" I also add some hot peppers to it. The collards are served with hot pepper sauce I make out of vinegar and whole green and red tabasco peppers.

This tradition must go back hundreds of years. It was my grandpa's favorite meal and he said his mother, born in 1853, also made it.

enhance
Where I lived in Northern Kentucky there were lots of people with German roots -- the area was pretty much evenly split in population between Scots-Irish Protestants like my people and German Catholics. Mostly no one paid any attention to that different heritage. But the people with German family roots always ate Saurkraut and pork on New Year's Eve.

Black-eyed peas with pulled-pork sandwiches tonight. God I love black-eyed peas. Not for everyone. My MIL hates them but she hates everything. Evil woman (ELO).
Your MIL sounds like mine. She also hates everything, plus she acts like everyone owes her. If I could buy her for what she's worth and sell her for what she thinks she's worth, I'd be richer than Jeff Bezos.

I unintentionally lied to you guys. As I said, I hadn't seen him in years and what I found out from him today was even more exciting. He was retired army, but an NCO. He was at one time First Sgt for General David Petraeus.
Nice guy and he thinks the world of Petraeus. Special Forces guy. He knew (showed me pictures to prove it) several big shots.
That's better even. He worked & grunted for a living.

Where I lived in Northern Kentucky there were lots of people with German roots -- the area was pretty much evenly split in population between Scots-Irish Protestants like my people and German Catholics. Mostly no one paid any attention to that different heritage. But the people with German family roots always ate Saurkraut and pork on New Year's Eve.
Then you were in Campbell or Kenton County as Boone was mainly Baptist. But you're right. I'm a blend of both groups ex the Irish part.

Ok here goes!!! Crock-pot lasagna

1lb ground beef- We use about 1 1/2 lbs we like it meaty! I also like to cook onions in too!
Lasagna Noodles
1 Jar spaghetti sauce
1 1/2 cups cottage cheese, we use a 24oz container
1 1/2 cups, Mozzarella Cheese, we use a two cup package, we like it cheesy
Parmesan Cheese
Ok, Brown and drain the ground beef and onions
Spoon 1 cup of spaghetti sauce in the bottom of the crock-pot, We use a crock-pot liner, easy clean up
Mix the remaining spaghetti sauce with your ground beef and onions
Place two uncooked lasagna noodles on top of the spaghetti sauce in crock-pot
Sprinkle 1/3 of the meat mixture on top the noodles
Spread 3/4 cup of cottage cheese on the meat mixture
Sprinkle 1/2 cup Mozzarella Cheese over cottage cheese

Another layer noodles meat mixture, cottage cheese and Mozzarella
Add layers till finished
Add Parmesan cheese to last layer

Cook on low for 3 hours Hope you enjoy!!!! From the D League Cook Book!!!!

Thank you!

I am going to give you guys my go to recipe. Very easy to make.

Bread: (your choice)
Peanut Butter: (your choice)
Jelly, preserve, jam: (your choice)

I really am not picky with the bread or the peanut butter but, the go to for me in the PB&J is actually Strawberry Jam or Preserve. Eat that at least twice a week.

Very good analysis. Rural part of eastern Campbell - not Newport. But Bracken County has a similar mix, maybe not quite as heavily German.
12 Mile/Gubser's Mill? 4 Mile/Camp Springs? Melbourne? California? Know them all well. Grandpa from 12 Mile. Parents both born in Newport since Dad's dad (German side) work at Wiedemann (What else?) even before Prohibition & Mom's dad (English/Scots side) was streetcar conductor.

12 Mile/Gubser's Mill? 4 Mile/Camp Springs? Melbourne? California? Know them all well. Grandpa from 12 Mile. Parents both born in Newport since Dad's dad (German side) work at Wiedemann (What else?) even before Prohibition & Mom's dad (English/Scots side) was streetcar conductor.
That’s the general area. Family in Silver Grove, Alexandria and Melbourne. A generation before that, Brooksville and Augusta.

Last edited:
I am going to give you guys my go to recipe. Very easy to make.

Bread: (your choice)
Peanut Butter: (your choice)
Jelly, preserve, jam: (your choice)

I really am not picky with the bread or the peanut butter but, the go to for me in the PB&J is actually Strawberry Jam or Preserve. Eat that at least twice a week.
Just dropped a check for $150 in the mail for your cookbook. Cord, I hear, wants two.

Just saw where actor and Kentucky native Ned Beatty passed away. Some of his more well known roles were in the movies "Deliverance", "Superman", and "Rudy".

Yeah, I think we have. I know all the Sandfosses and my sister married the brother of Joey Pelle, who owns that Pelle’s bar and grill in Silver Grove.
"Pelle’s bar and grill in Silver Grove." means 2/3 of the people in Silver Grove own the bar or work there.

For those that don't know, St. Ann's Convent just south of downtown SG is where the home for the handicapped scenes in Rain Man were filmed.

Good morning D League. Sunny and cool (so far) in the east. A beautiful day, which can’t help it if it is a Monday.

I’m out walking through a patch of woods, and for the first time in four weeks the birds are louder than the cicadas. I think those buggy buggers are on their way out.

I hope everyone has an enjoyable day.

Beautiful morning here in the Buckeye State. Sunny and only 60 if my weather app is correct. But will warm up quickly in that the high for today is mid to high 80s.

As bad as I hate to say it....might do a little outdoor painting today. Not a big fan of painting although everyone tells me that I'm a good painter and quick at it. Why? I worked on a paint crew for a house builder/developer family friend of ours one Summer in college. Learn all the tricks when you do it daily. But I hate it.

Y'all have a good beginning of the work week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT