ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Just saying it's hard to farm crops on hillsides but cows are fine there. See it all the time here in NKy - hillsides with nothing but cows. I don't see the insult but OK.
I was kidding. šŸ˜

Some of those Kentucky hillsides are productive, just vertically challenging. I was raised in Barren county and it is hilly, but we sure raised some good cows.

California and Texas has more mountains that Kentucky and West Virginia can imagine. But Kentucky can raise crops and cows without irrigation. That was my point.

Good to catch up with the d-League. I got out before 6am today and went for a very long hike in the cold and light rain. Hard to believe we are closing in on June, felt more like the week after Thanksgiving. At least it has knocked the sass out of the cicadas. They are laying around in piles like the Romans after Hannibal sprung the double envelopment on them at Cannae (yes, I'm spending too much time with the Hardcore History podcasts these days.)

We have a number of large trees in our yard...and at the back of the property 2-3 acres of woods....haven't heard or seen a cicada. Strange. Remember in Atlanta when they came out, and I had woods at the back of that property, it was a constant roar.
Wonder why there seems to be none here? So far.
My sister lives 20 miles away from me and my niece less than 15. Neither have heard or seen them. It's deafening in my neighborhood. They are everywhere. Just as an example, there's at least 500 carcasses at the base of my sugar maple in the front yard.

Back in my working days we always tied extension cords together like that to prevent them from being pulled apart. i never knew we were also creating a surge protector. nice.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 67Ā°F and partly cloudy. Today's high may reach 85Ā°F.

After I wake up, must walk around the house and check damage. Plan on visiting up a couple gun stores today for ammo. Might purchase a revolver for wife if one is available. Got a few other chores on the agenda.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

33963841_1766569730070342_4366354432758120448_n.jpg
First, thanks everybody for the replies. We got a big rush order she had to work on today, so I don't think she tried any of it yet.

Second, I love the idea of a revolver over a pistol for someone who won't put a lot of range time in. Less chance of an "accident". A year or two ago, I read about an FBI agent who was dancing. His pistol fell to the floor, discharged and hit someone in the leg. For cc, I got Jan a revolver 38 S@W Bodyguard. Actually I like it better than my 642. Really light and accurate for a small weapon. Also with a pistol, someone might be able to grab the slide at close range and most "encounters" are at close range.

My sister is scared of guns, so the last time I saw her, I gave her a tootsie roll pop and told her to keep it in her purse. Put the candy in your hand with the stick protruding from your fingers and you have a tool that can jab the neck and eyes nicely. Also told her even more important, take a couple of seconds and scope out the area you will be entering before you get there (be aware of your surroundings).

Last edited:
Well, today I finally found some 20 ga. 00 buck. $28 for 20 rounds. Regular 20 ga. game loads go for only $11. Home defense costs. Plan on purchasing an S&W .38 small frame for wife. We'll visit gun shop next week so wife can check fit. Everybody around ATX out of shells for .38 cal.

Hope y'all having a good one.

We have a number of large trees in our yard...and at the back of the property 2-3 acres of woods....haven't heard or seen a cicada. Strange. Remember in Atlanta when they came out, and I had woods at the back of that property, it was a constant roar.

They will eat and conjugate their way toward you....

Well, today I finally found some 20 ga. 00 buck. $28 for 20 rounds. Regular 20 ga. game loads go for only $11. Home defense costs. Plan on purchasing an S&W .38 small frame for wife. We'll visit gun shop next week so wife can check fit. Everybody around ATX out of shells for .38 cal.

Ammo is hard to find. Went to a local "trade day" event (flea market type deal) and found a box of 200 5.56 at a decent price (high but decent in today's world). Jan loves the S&W Bodyguard revolver.

We're considering an S&W Bodyguard or 642.
I have a 642. It's a good gun, but Jan was worried about the "kick", so we went with the Bodyguard. It's a little lighter than the 642, but even so kicks less. Since it's lighter, it's a little more comfortable for cc and she's more accurate with the B-guard than my 642. If I had it to do over, I'd probably go with the BG for myself.

My wife has this one. I would highly recommend it. .38 special. Very light and compact. She also has a .20 gauge coach shotgun by the bed. Again very light and easy to handle

639829_ts.jpg

Will be leaving soon to go get my brisket from Billy Sims. Wife came home from work at 1400 and we had to go pick up the big girl form the vet. They operated today to remove outer cancerous growth and removed an inner lump that was there to. She has a very big scar on her stomach and is uncomfortable but dealing. We have to watch her for at least the next 7 days to ensure she does not lick or scratch the area plus, keep the other 3 dogs off of her. Hard with the 6 1/2 year old puppy. She just wants to be in and around everything.
I remember watching Billy Sims play for the Lions. He was about all they had on offense too. It was a shame that his career was cut short by a knee injury. He got the nickname Kung Fu Billy Sims from the following play:

Rooster, the Dove parents are not stupid, and they donā€™t forget. They have been looking non stop for the babies.

What food do they like? I gotta at least feed them.

I left the dead babies outside all night, and most of the morning, then disposed of them. I figured Momma and Dad would have known.
Don't worry.......Doves and pigeons don't grieve..........usually after a couple of hours or so they are forgotten......they will lay back in about ten days......

The .380 is a real good CC weapon. It fires easy and the defense rounds will stop an attacker. The ammo is somewhat scarce though.

Going to Kentucky with me...
I bought the Director a Kel Tec .380 with a Crimsom Track laser.......that was last Oct...........I have only been able to scrounge a few bullets........I got 25 from a friend and the guy that we got the gun from gave us two boxes.........the archery shop in Radcliff sometimes has ammo.......I will have to look up the name.......it is about one mile south of the Joe Prather on the west side of 31W.........are you going to have time for lunch one day while you are down this way?

The brood that is hatching now is a different brood than the brood that will hatch in most of KY in 3 yrs.......

Have you heard from Bertfan lately? Havenā€™t seen him post in the past few.
Ben are you still up for lunch? BBUK is going to be in the area? It would be nice to hook up for lunch.......I mentioned Linnigs.............I am open any day........I guess it depends on if BBUK is going to be in the hood...........I can travel to Radcliff and could hook up with you so we both don't have to drive down? I am not really familiar with that area when it comes to eats......

(edit)....any one in the area........speak up.........heck......I would like to meet everyone that post on here........a bunch of interesting people for sure.......Linnigs has great fish and it is a nice place to eat out under the tall oak trees........

I bought the Director a Kel Tec .380 with a Crimsom Track laser.......that was last Oct...........I have only been able to scrounge a few bullets........I got 25 from a friend and the guy that we got the gun from gave us two boxes.........the archery shop in Radcliff sometimes has ammo.......I will have to look up the name.......it is about one mile south of the Joe Prather on the west side of 31W.........are you going to have time for lunch one day while you are down this way?

Man, I sure would like to meet you. Would you be able to come to Radcliff? The reason I ask is I would be on a tight schedule this trip. It would have to be this coming Tuesday (We will be driving to and from Monday and Wednesday). What I will do is check my ammo in a few minutes. I don't have much but I'd give you 15 or 20 rounds. It would be all I could do but I would. I will check what I have now and will edit this post once I do to be exact on the ammo.. I have a couple of busted boxes and a new box.

Edit: If you'd meet me in Radcliff on Tuesday I have 15 .380 rounds of Monarch 94GR I will give you. (I'd have to work out the time with you. My Darling will be calling the shots as to where I am at most of the time but if you can, I will give you my cell in a private message and setup a more specific time.)(May not be able to do lunch but I may be able to, will have to play that by ear. In any event if we can do lunch, I buy!)

Last edited:
You might get lucky at a flea market (not the consignment type), a pawn shop, or a gun show. It won't be cheap though.

Ben are you still up for lunch? BBUK is going to be in the area? It would be nice to hook up for lunch.......I mentioned Linnigs.............I am open any day........I guess it depends on if BBUK is going to be in the hood...........I can travel to Radcliff and could hook up with you so we both don't have to drive down? I am not really familiar with that area when it comes to eats......

(edit)....any one in the area........speak up.........heck......I would like to meet everyone that post on here........a bunch of interesting people for sure.......Linnigs has great fish and it is a nice place to eat out under the tall oak trees........

If you all could it would have to be this Tuesday for me. (We are making a quick trip and will be driving to and from Monday and Wednesday) I would HAVE to do this if a couple could do it. Some where near or in Radcliff if at all possible. (I know that cuts down on the quality of food available but I only have so much time I can take away this trip!)

Last edited:
I remember watching Billy Sims play for the Lions. He was about all they had on offense too. It was a shame that his career was cut short by a knee injury. He got the nickname Kung Fu Billy Sims from the following play:

Billy Sims career was cut short by the sorry-arsed Lions not budging on paying him and rather than play for them he retired. The Lions never would release him and let him rot his last playing years. He had a good shot at eclipsing a lot of records. I guess you might say Karma's a biotch as the Lion's have been nothing since then except the NFL's biotch... they sure haven't assembled anything resembling a winning football team since Billy.

My Tanker buddy posted this: (Good Stuff!)

I grew up in Warren Indiana during a time when most everyone treated each other with respect.
We didn't eat a lot of fast food because it was considered a treat, not a food group. We drank Kool-Aid and iced tea made from water that came from our kitchen sink. We ate bologna sandwiches, peanut butter sandwiches, grilled cheese sandwiches, hot dogs, pot pies, but mostly home made meals consisting of mainly meat, potatoes, beans, home grown vegetables, bread and butter and homemade dessert.
School lunches were delicious. Sometimes, for a special treat, we got to take our lunches to school in a brown paper bag or a lunch box.
We grew up during a time when we would gather glass bottles to take to the store and use the deposit money to buy penny candy. (We even got a brown paper bag to put the candy in). You could get a lot for just 25 cents.
We mowed lawns, helped neighbors with chores, worked in the garden in the summer. We went outside, a lot, to play games, ride bikes, run with siblings, cousins and friends. We played hide and seek, kick the can, jump rope, hopscotch, Red Rover, red light, "Mother May I", London Bridges, kickball, basketball and dodge ball.
We drank tap water from the hose outside... bottled water was unheard of.
We ate a hot breakfast or cold cereal at the breakfast table before going to school.
We had no cable TV, just 3 channels no microwave or cell phones.
We watched TV as a family: Gunsmoke, HeeHaw, Gilligan's Island, Wonderful World of Disney, Bonanza, Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom, Red Skelton and Ed Sullivan.
After school, we came home and did homework and chores and watched some cartoons on Saturday morning before going out to the fields to bale hay, plant tobacco, or whatever the farm needed us for that day.
If we were bad in school, we got in trouble there. When we got home, we got in trouble again (because your parents already knew). Paddling was allowed in school and you behaved yourself or else. The fear and not of being in trouble and not wanting to disappoint our parents kept us from getting into trouble.
We would ride our bikes/ horses for hours, and talk and play outside until the lightning bugs came out. We would catch bugs in mason jars, make mud pies, play in the creek, and pick wildflowers and four-leafed clovers.
We LEARNED from our parents and grandparents instead of disrespecting them and treating them as if they knew nothing. What they said was the gospel.
If someone had a fight, that's what it was - a fist fight and then you were back to being friends afterwards and the bullying pretty much ceased.
Kids that were around guns were taught how to properly use them and to respect them and never thought of taking a human life.
We had to be close enough to home to hear our Mom yelling or Dad whistling to tell you itā€™s time to come home for dinner. We ate around the dinner table and talked to each other as a family, discussing our day, dreams and plans. Hats were never worn at the dinner table. We learned to clean up our plate and eat what was cooked.
We said the Pledge of Allegiance, stood for the National Anthem and listened to our teachers. Itā€™s Called RESPECT!
We watched what we said around our elders because we knew If we DISRESPECTED any grown up we would get our behinds whipped. It wasn't called abuse, it was called discipline! We held doors, carried groceries and gave up our seat without being asked.
We didn't hear curse words on the radio, in songs or TV, and if you cursed and got caught you had a bar of soap stuck in your mouth and had to stand in the corner for quite some time.
ā€œPleaseā€, ā€œThank youā€, ā€œYes Maā€™amā€ and ā€œYes, Sir" were part of our daily vocabulary!
We grew up with good, God-loving families.
Re-post if you're thankful for your childhood and will never forget where you came from!

Fyi. One of things old people get taking advantage of. Tires. Shops want to collect your money prior to completing their job. Looks as a courtesy to you. Not. Always pay after they are done. Why? Tire balance. Always ask how much weight it took to balance each tire. If its over 4 ounces on either tire, the tire is no good, however they can in some cases rotate that tire 180 degrees and it will be in compliance of the 4 degree or less weight balance. That is acceptable. You should enjoy your new tires with no issues. Never ever accept any tire that takes more than 3.5 or 4.0 ounces to balance.

Rooster, the Dove parents are not stupid, and they donā€™t forget. They have been looking non stop for the babies.

What food do they like? I gotta at least feed them.

I left the dead babies outside all night, and most of the morning, then disposed of them. I figured Momma and Dad would have known.
Don't give them too much credit for thinking. Dead babies can take care of themselves. If they're not too busy they'll always lay another egg or two. Older they should have more active hormones. Makes all the difference. If still in the window sill maybe not . . . . Bird seed.
Thanks Rooster. Would you happen to have the entire link. My son wants a copy of it. Thanks. This is a photo of Bill, Jr at West Point

enhance
Address to an "After Action Report for the 329th Infantry Regiment, February 1945" *.pdf

Last edited:
If you all could it would have to be this Tuesday for me. (We are making a quick trip and will be driving to and from Monday and Wednesday) I would HAVE to do this if a couple could do it. Some where near or in Radcliff if at all possible. (I know that cuts down on the quality of food available but I only have so much time I can take away this trip!)
I have to be in Springfield Tuesday........how about a rain check.....

A good Lord's Day to all.

Normally on the Memorial Day weekend Sunday I have the smoker out early....smoking all day. Outside TV, garage TV, kitchen TV, sitting room off kitchen TV, and living room TV all on with the Indy 500. A day of smoking, piddlin' in the yard, and so forth with the smell of hickory in the air and the race on. Not this year. Decided not to bother. Too chilly. While it's supposed to get to about 70 today...it's starting off at 45 right now. So it'll just be a grill and flip the burgers day.

Speaking of Indy....130,000+ people, but all HAVE to wear masks. What's up with that? Plus, Indiana dropped their mask requirement weeks ago....so who came up with everybody wearing a mask at the race? I can't imagine sitting there in the sun all day wearing one of those things. Was going to go over one day for practice...but didn't for that very reason.

Y'all have a safe, healthy, and productive day that the Lord has made.

Address to an "After Action Report for the 329th Infantry Regiment, February 1945" *.pdf

Rooster, I want to thank you for this. I trust you realize how valuable of a member of the D League you are. It is much appreciated. I have copied the report for our family records. Bill, Jr. was my mother's first cousin and they were very close as most families were back in those days.

Here is the Morning Report dated July 5, 1944 showing duty to killed in action., Normandy,. France. Co A 329th Infantry suffered quite a few casualties that day.

enhance

His younger brother, Phillip Taylor Blanton received an appointment to West Point by Florida Senator Holland in 1951. He was a Sophomore at the University of Florida when he got the appointment. Their father was Colonel William Blanton, Sr who was on the Staff of General Eisenhower and was involved in the planning and operation of the Normandy Invasion. I thought it ironic that his oldest son would die there. The family had a very strong military career.

As we hear over and over Freedom is Not Free. You have to fight and die for it. History shows that. Thank you again Rooster, and may God bless you

enhance

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT