ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

The first movie I can recall watching was a 1933 film starring Randolph Scott and Ester Ralston. I saw it on my aunt's TV. It was titled To The last Man and was based on a Zane Grey novel. It had an all star cast and the story was about two families from Kentucky post civil war. One family fought for the North (Colby) and one for the South. (Hayden) Ex-confederate soldier Randolph Scott was the good guy in the movie. The feuding Kentucky families both moved out West after the war and continued their own war until the Last Man.

To the Last Man is a 1933 American Pre-Code Western film directed by Henry Hathaway and starring Randolph Scott and Esther Ralston. The screenplay by Jack Cunningham was based on a story by Zane Grey. The Paramount property was previously made as a silent film, Victor Fleming's 1923 film version of the same title. The supporting cast of Hathaway's version features Jack La Rue, Buster Crabbe, Barton MacLane, Noah Beery, Sr., Shirley Temple, Fuzzy Knight, Gail Patrick and John Carradine. Child actors Delmar Watson and Shirley Temple were praised by Variety

MV5BOWI1YWRkNzctZWM4ZC00Y2JiLWExMDMtZTgwZWUwMDM4MTkzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDUyOTUyNQ@@._V1_UY99_CR14,0,99,99_AL_.jpg
I really liked Scott. You could just tell he was a very nice man from his demeanor and smile....which in reading about him he was. Was a very close friend of Billy Graham, and Billy did Scott's funeral.

I really liked Scott. You could just tell he was a very nice man from his demeanor and smile....which in reading about him he was. Was a very close friend of Billy Graham, and Billy did Scott's funeral.
Randolph Scott was a Virginian and he was a good man off camera as well as on. Randolph Scott and John Wayne are my favorite western actors by a country mile.

Alright, here is one for you guys. I know this will make you angry, but you will appreciate it for its absurdity, especially Austin. Seems like there is now an outcry for the University of Texas to disassociate itself from "The Eyes of Texas", which they play about as often as UT plays Rocky Top. The protestors say that it is the same tune as "I've been working of the railroad" which displays racial bigotry. I'm not sure how, but that is what the dissidents are saying. While they are at it, they also want them to quit using the "Hook em Horns" sign, since that could possibly be linked back to a similar thing that minstrel shows did in blackface. Can you believe this? Texans will tell them that they are crazy and it has nothing to do with race, however, they are welcome to have their own opinions on the subject, but they are not changing anything, which they absolutely shouldn't. I just can't imagine somebody taking the time to research this stuff and come up with these bizarre references. Has to be someone that the government pays to stay home.

Alright, here is one for you guys. I know this will make you angry, but you will appreciate it for its absurdity, especially Austin. Seems like there is now an outcry for the University of Texas to disassociate itself from "The Eyes of Texas", which they play about as often as UT plays Rocky Top. The protestors say that it is the same tune as "I've been working of the railroad" which displays racial bigotry. I'm not sure how, but that is what the dissidents are saying. While they are at it, they also want them to quit using the "Hook em Horns" sign, since that could possibly be linked back to a similar thing that minstrel shows did in blackface. Can you believe this? Texans will tell them that they are crazy and it has nothing to do with race, however, they are welcome to have their own opinions on the subject, but they are not changing anything, which they absolutely shouldn't. I just can't imagine somebody taking the time to research this stuff and come up with these bizarre references. Has to be someone that the government pays to stay home.
I don't remember this but my mother told the story that when I was four years old I was asked to come to the front of the church to sing a "special song" for the congregation. I burst out with "The Eyes of Texas" to her dismay. I was suppose to sing Jesus Loves Me.

I wonder what these folks will do when they find out what "The Yellow Rose of Texas" is all about. LOL. What a world we are living in

God Is great! Once again rehabbing, and I thought I was doing better and feeling better! A week ago Monday I took a terrible fall, went and was checked over and sent home. Friday I took an ever worse fall and back to the hospital
for tests, stitches and an over night stay! Tomorrow and Friday follow up doctor visits due to the falls. I'll catch up later but just not feeling well right now. Take care, my friends, and blessings to all!
Sorry to read this. Falls are devastating. Get well soon.

Last edited:
Ok. Been keeping my powder dry. Kind of a newbie on the D League. But I've got to ask.
@_Rooster ... you have to tell me the back story on the RR pictures. I love them, but wonder why.
Use to work on the RR? Just like trains? Give it up.

Side note....years ago a couple of my cousins worked for the RR for the Summer. They absolutely loved it. Hard work, but they had fun.

Ok. Been keeping my powder dry. Kind of a newbie on the D League. But I've got to ask.
@_Rooster ... you have to tell me the back story on the RR pictures. I love them, but wonder why.

Side note....years ago a couple of my cousins worked for the RR for the Summer. They absolutely loved it. Hard work, but they had fun.
I will let Rooster tell you about the trains.

However, I am a 32 year CSX man. I did not work in operations but in Sales and Marketing. I was in the wine and quiche department, but we got the business to keep those things running.

• Good Morning, D-Leagueanites and Lurkers.
  • We had 58º when I got up at 0700. We are in the 60s right now, it is very nice outside.
  • 3 mugs of Dark Magic down. That's enough.
  • Lola (our Shih Tsu - Age almost 4) has been out. Catching sunbeams right now. Very sweet dog I must say. A lap dog.
  • Very sorry to read that RRC has had a couple of falls. Those damned things really hurt you, I have had several since having a stroke 3 years ago. When this happens to me I bleed like a stuck hog due to the blood thinner that I take every day. It takes me about 3 weeks to get over a fall, if I am not hurt too badly. Get well soon RRC.
  • I used to railroad about 60 years ago, Dad railroaded for about 30 years, Sawnee Cat railroaded for about 20 years. So I love the pictures and videos of the trains that Rooster posts, particularly the steamers. So I love the trains myself.
  • I watched a movie from 1983, The Day After, starring Jason Robards. Very disturbing movie. I had never seen it. In almost 40 years.
  • As you were.
  • Carry on.

Big and always around. Grew up running wild and they were widely accessible transportation corridors to get me there, the toys were subjects of basement family art/construction projects. Wimmin upstairs doing dolls and puppet shows.
Now here in the D when Don 1st invited me to hang around, as there are today, were some interesting posters. Civil folks where intelligent discussion were respectful, humorous and educational. I'm sure you already know, I'm curious about everything and I noted folks posting imagery, with obvious page numbers, especially train locomotives. Being a traditionalist ape, I simply began to mimic the team. Ymmot was a sponge and quite an inspiration expanding horizons. The best post was being the first post of the page with an image screaming for that spot as an image of some interest with that page number. Anywhere on that page being a successful mission. At first I searched with bing or google. But the locomotives here were better, searchable and interesting for the railroad folk I was posting for.

< Image is an active link

Last edited:
Meanwhile my brother in law in Kentucky is getting ready for winter. He has a couple hundred acres and a whole lot of woods. Under that little shed is a large boiler that generates heat that goes through underground pipes back to the house. He also has a generator hook up that gives him electricity.

122407729_134850961703499_6279940333667421523_o.jpg
There's a number of homes and shops on the farms around here that have that type of heat. They all love it. Other than when they have to go out first thing in the (Winter) morning....or in 10 inches of snow.
Most of the others have the big propane tank out in the yard, which I'm sure is common everywhere. What is not common everywhere if the big propane tank out in the yard of the Old-fashion German Baptists (think Amish) around here who not only use it for heat, but also have piping in the house for lighting using propane.

There's a number of homes and shops on the farms around here that have that type of heat. They all love it. Other than when they have to go out first thing in the (Winter) morning....or in 10 inches of snow.
Most of the others have the big propane tank out in the yard, which I'm sure is common everywhere. What is not common everywhere if the big propane tank out in the yard of the Old-fashion German Baptists (think Amish) around here who not only use it for heat, but also have piping in the house for lighting using propane.
He has a wood fed boiler and all of the wood comes from his farm. Up everyday early because of his cattle and has just about every other barnyard animal known to man. Chickens, ducks, hogs, sheep, cattle and of course a few horses and a donkey. The donkey calms the nerves of the sheep. There are two very nice well stocked lakes on his land. Lots of small mouth Kentucky bass.

He has a huge garden so they grown just about everything they eat. He could survive without any problem if the whole world went to pot. Lots of fruit trees, blackberry bushes and they grown strawberries, etc.

The farm has been in the family for more than 200 years. The cash crop was tobacco but he does not grow that anymore. He is officially retired so the farm is for survival not a money maker but he does make a litle spending money with his cattle and wool from the sheep. Cattle more than wool.

He has a wood fed boiler and all of the wood comes from his farm. Up everyday early because of his cattle and has just about every other barnyard animal known to man. Chickens, ducks, hogs, sheep, cattle and of course a few horses and a donkey. The donkey calms the nerves of the sheep. There are two very nice well stocked lakes on his land. Lots of small mouth Kentucky bass.

He has a huge garden so they grown just about everything they eat. He could survive without any problem if the whole world went to pot. Lots of fruit trees, blackberry bushes and they grown strawberries, etc.

The farm has been in the family for more than 200 years. The cash crop was tobacco but he does not grow that anymore. He is officially retired so the farm is for survival not a money maker but he does make a litle spending money with his cattle and wool from the sheep. Cattle more than wool.
Retired? Man that sounds like a full-time job! Like a lot of guys around here. Only difference, most guys here that have a farm, once the planting season is over then they can just maintain for 6 months till harvest. Most don't have a lot of animals...maybe a couple horses, a few have a few cows, etc.
The days of making a living off of a 200 acre farm are over I'm afraid. Why most around here are like your BIL was, work a regular job....then when you get home or the weekend do some more work. Dawn to dusk.

That train deserves a song... Beautiful still shot... (I DO hear the train a comin....)

Oh Good morning all, may all your wants be given to all your needs being provided today! God bless you... In Jesus' name!
I saw Johnny Cash in three concerts and also on the Grand Ole Opry in the late 1950's. I don't think he lasted long on the Opry. The first concert I saw was in 1958, then in 1968 and in the mid 1970.s His mother in law Mother Maybelle Carter had a home on the Gulf at New Port Ritchey, FL. Johnny spent a lot of time there and would go out with the commercial fishermen. Some songs were written while he was staying there. He mixed well with the locals and was just one of the boys around town. What a talent he was

Retired? Man that sounds like a full-time job! Like a lot of guys around here. Only difference, most guys here that have a farm, once the planting season is over then they can just maintain for 6 months till harvest. Most don't have a lot of animals...maybe a couple horses, a few have a few cows, etc.
The days of making a living off of a 200 acre farm are over I'm afraid. Why most around here are like your BIL was, work a regular job....then when you get home or the weekend do some more work. Dawn to dusk.
The life of a farmer. He actually worked at Square D in Lexington for about 30 years in addition to farming. He raised a lot of tobacco in the day.

Big and always around. Grew up running wild and they were widely accessible transportation corridors to get me there, the toys were subjects of basement family art/construction projects. Wimmin upstairs doing dolls and puppet shows.
Now here in the D when Don 1st invited me to hang around, as there are today, were some interesting posters. Civil folks where intelligent discussion were respectful, humorous and educational. I'm sure you already know, I'm curious about everything and I noted folks posting imagery, with obvious page numbers, especially train locomotives. Being a traditionalist ape, I simply began to mimic the team. Ymmot was a sponge and quite an inspiration expanding horizons. The best post was being the first post of the page with an image screaming for that spot as an image of some interest with that page number. Anywhere on that page being a successful mission. At first I searched with bing or google. But the locomotives here were better, searchable and interesting for the railroad folk I was posting for.

< Image is an active link

The missing inactive link but I like him!

2h6rhe.jpg

I saw Johnny Cash in three concerts and also on the Grand Ole Opry in the late 1950's. I don't think he lasted long on the Opry. The first concert I saw was in 1958, then in 1968 and in the mid 1970.s His mother in law Mother Maybelle Carter had a home on the Gulf at New Port Ritchey, FL. Johnny spent a lot of time there and would go out with the commercial fishermen. Some songs were written while he was staying there. He mixed well with the locals and was just one of the boys around town. What a talent he was
I met Johnny once in Reno where we shot a man, no I really met him in an airport in Atlanta. Was there with 3 kids and the wife. We were returning from WDW and the kids all had WDW gear on. We were the last to board the plane except for Johnny and June Cash. Both were very nice, but June was more chatty., talking about WDW and all. The oldest girl was about 12 at the time. Before the plane started loading, Johnny came up and went in the VIP lounge. The oldest saw everyone's reaction to Johnny, but had no idea who he was. She said she was going to get his autograph so she literally sat on the floor in front of the VIP lounge. When Johnny came out, her jaw dropped open and she froze. Couldn't move or speak. He had to literally step over her to get out the door. He was very nice about it though.

"The Rock Island Line was a mighty fine Line"!

Good Friday morning Legionaires:

Today's high will be around 50° with 25mph winds. Low in the low 30's tonight so, sounds like the first time of this season for some Glu-wein. Yeah baby! Wife getting ready for work, daughter getting ready for school and I am getting ready to binge watch.

Retirement, Who knew?

Good Friday morning

Well, well, well. What an evening it was .

Our current temperature is 72° and we will get to 81° by mid afternoon. We have a 40% chance of rain and our moon phase is: First Quarter.

Now for another cup of coffee and I trust you have a great day in D League Land

83685-firstquartermoon.jpg

Headed for a Blue Moon, end of the month. Hope everyone has a great day. Last warm day here for a while. Rain moves in this evening and the temps drop.

This is another example of what is happening in South Florida. The top photo is the Miami River in the 1970's and the bottom is the same spot in 2020. We call it "New Yorking Our Florida". Unfortunately the Governor of New York is causing thousands more to move down with his idiotic policy. Pray for South Florida

122447588_3406034902843572_1503033622914809161_o.jpg
Miami will get even more congested if The Empire World Towers and One Bayfront Plaza are built. Both over 1,000 feet and would be Florida's 2 (actually 3) tallest buildings.

This is another example of what is happening in South Florida. The top photo is the Miami River in the 1970's and the bottom is the same spot in 2020. We call it "New Yorking Our Florida". Unfortunately the Governor of New York is causing thousands more to move down with his idiotic policy. Pray for South Florida

122447588_3406034902843572_1503033622914809161_o.jpg
I guess everyone wants a piece of paradise. I just hope they don't end up turning such a nice area into the urban-cultural nightmare that they left behind up north. It's probably too late, though, from the looks of it.

Last edited:
Just an aside, but a good warning on how totalitarians take over. Something for us all to remember, that it is better to go down fighting and take a few of them out.

― Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn , The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

“And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT