ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

LangweileDich.net_Bilderparade_DI_67.jpg
Believe it or not, I've considered purchasing some land near Salla, Finland in the Finnish Lapland. $399 for a 30m x 30m (1076 sq. ft.) lot. To get there without flying or driving requires an overnight train trip out of Helsinki. Beautiful winter sports area. Lots of mosquitoes during mid-summer. Best to visit early-summer or early fall. Extra money to be made picking berries and other edibles from the Finnish woodlands. Located less than 20 miles from the Russian border.

I grew up listening to John Ward calling Tennessee football and basketball. Even tho most every game is either televised or streamed now, it’s still nice to hear the radio broadcast. The good announcers painted a picture with words
+1

Due to living on the border,I also sometimes listened to John Ward call UT games. He was very good at illustrating games with words.

Evening, the D. Hit 100 today in Charleston. Absolutely brutal. John Ward, the legendary Voice of the Vols, passed away at 88. He will be sorely missed by the Big Orange Nation.
Sorry to hear. John Ward was a true broadcasting legend for the Vols.

My aunt Agnes also passed away yesterday morning at 87 or 88. She was the last of 11 children from a generation spanning over 100 years.

Once again into the mouth of the dragon, no wait....70° in Elgin OK, and I am readying the fishing gear for another try this week. Leaving the house shortly, but first coffee.

Tomorrow I get up even earlier to go to Tusla OK for a Karate tournament/Lifetime achievement award for my instructor of 30 years. Started with him when I was a Drill Sergeant (He worked in the mess hall at the time and trained me when we had time) and I trained:fistbump: with him off and on due to PCSing and returning to Sill. He is from Thailand and came here when he was 15 with his step father who was in the army. We became fast friends and he has helped me out through some rough times financially. Not only is he my Sensei, he is also my friend

My wife keeps bugging me to grow out my beard. The hair on my head is still mostly brown, but I grew a beard a couple years back while overseas and it came in snow white. I thought it looked comical and wore it home as a goof, but Mrs. Md liked it. Daddy issues?
Had mine growing out pretty good until last week. Wife liked it OK but, daughter did not. Had a lot of grey and white in it and she said it made me look old. I told her I was 60 and I am old. She earned some daddy points with her next response when she said "Yeah, but you normally don't look it. Gotta love my little girl.

Morning everybody
Busy last few days...caught up on the reading, too lazy to hit the Likes....but I like'em.​
Rained like an SOB on the way in to work this morning...or as Don says LaCPOaFR! Steering wheel clinched in one hand, coffee cup in the other...
Golf Wednesday evening went OK, it can always be better. Lucky for me I got plenty of room for improvement.​
Major league dog & pony show at work yesterday....all kind of big-wig acronymed people from corporate HQ took a tour. (CEO, COO, CHR, CMO, etc...) Spent a week cleaning/prepping for it and they were here for about an hour anda half.
The redhead(my wife) & I listened to a Ky guy play some blues last night. Boscoe France - out of Madisonville Ky. Bare foot & bib overalls....dude can play. He said there is a Music/Blues fest in Madisonville (3rd weekend of Oct). I plan on going...is that close enough for anybody else on here?​
Today is our wedding anniversary (27 yrs)....I honestly think she has forgot about it. She is planning a garage sale for Saturday and said she wants to stay home and get everything ready for it this evening. That was kind of why we went out last night, she just doesn't know it yet.
We'll see what happens...:)
Congrats to Knox, SGA, JV & HD. Hopefully WG can find a roster during the Summer league. That is past....can't wait for the upcoming season. Ready for the Bahamas tour.

Morning everybody
Busy last few days...caught up on the reading, too lazy to hit the Likes....but I like'em.​
Rained like an SOB on the way in to work this morning...or as Don says LaCPOaFR! Steering wheel clinched in one hand, coffee cup in the other...
Golf Wednesday evening went OK, it can always be better. Lucky for me I got plenty of room for improvement.​
Major league dog & pony show at work yesterday....all kind of big-wig acronymed people from corporate HQ took a tour. (CEO, COO, CHR, CMO, etc...) Spent a week cleaning/prepping for it and they were here for about an hour anda half.
The redhead(my wife) & I listened to a Ky guy play some blues last night. Boscoe France - out of Madisonville Ky. Bare foot & bib overalls....dude can play. He said there is a Music/Blues fest in Madisonville (3rd weekend of Oct). I plan on going...is that close enough for anybody else on here?​
Today is our wedding anniversary (27 yrs)....I honestly think she has forgot about it. She is planning a garage sale for Saturday and said she wants to stay home and get everything ready for it this evening. That was kind of why we went out last night, she just doesn't know it yet.
Congrats to Knox, SGA, JV & HD. Hopefully WG can find a roster during the Summer league. That is past....can't wait for the upcoming season. Ready for the Bahamas tour.
Congrats on anniversary.

Good morning D-League. Rainy and unseasonably cold in DC.

Any other history buffs remember this as the anniversary of Operation Barbarossa - the Nazi invasion of the Soviet Union in 1941?

Maybe the most consequential day of the 20th Century. It escalated WWII to a truly global war of extermination, assured the eventual destruction of Nazism and the defeat of world fascism, directly triggered the rise of the Soviet Union as a world power and communism as a competing ideology for global dominance. And it indirectly led to the US-USSR Cold War that lasted for 45 years, with the US rising as the dominant western and Democratic power, filling the gap left by the defeat and, or exhaustion of European powers like France, England and Germany.

Yeah, I know. I'm a nerd and a gasbag. I'll tone it down.

Good morning D!!
Feeling pretty excited today
My older son and his wife are coming to pick up the younger one for the weekend
Here shortly I get to go buy a new stove!!!!
We’ve had the one we’ve got for 14 years
Have to work tomorrow...really wish I didn’t but it is what it is
Happy Anniversary @OldEvilleCat
Hope all are well
Hugs all around

• Good Morning, D-Leagueanites.
  • 81º in Johns Creek. Very nice day going. I love Summer. TGIF. One more day to go after today.
  • @Oldville, Happy 27th!!!
  • Just finished 2 perfect OM eggs on a half biscuit. Gravy on the other half.
  • Haven't shaved yet. Need to.
  • Lola sleeping in front of the fan.
  • I'd like to be fishing with Warrior right now.
  • Have a safe Friday.
  • Carry on. As you were.

Morning everybody

Happy 27th.

The wife and I already had 27 years in on your wedding day.

Good afternoon D friends. I'm really excited about the football season and our basketball season. I like the fact the NCAA finally got something right. Letting probably redshirt candidates playin 4 games to get some experience. Second thought Cal really went to work and has prospects ready to advance and win UK's 9th. Going to be a good year in the Commonwealth! Go Big BLUE, BIG Blue Nation.

Any other history buffs remember this as the anniversary of Operation Barbarossa - the Nazi invasion of the Soviet Union in 1941?

Maybe the most consequential day of the 20th Century. It escalated WWII to a truly global war of extermination, assured the eventual destruction of Nazism and the defeat of world fascism, directly triggered the rise of the Soviet Union as a world power and communism as a competing ideology for global dominance. And it indirectly led to the US-USSR Cold War that lasted for 45 years, with the US rising as the dominant western and Democratic power, filling the gap left by the defeat and, or exhaustion of European powers like France, England and Germany.

And I love this stuff. Go boy.

Today is our wedding anniversary (27 yrs)....I honestly think she has forgot about it.

I am not far from Madisonville. I might consider it, depending on the ankles.

Congrats on your 27th.

That was a great start.
Ended with a one that got away story. When the rain quit the wind shifted and I went to the other side of the pond to cast with wind to my back. Saw a log sticking out of the water at a good distance so, I switched to a blue 8" stick worm (more weight for the cast). Second cast landed right next to the log and I had an immediate strike and it was a big one. Rod was bent down and line was being pulled out because the drag was set at about 8 lbs. I was reeling and pulling hard to keep the hook set and when I finally got it close to the bank the line snapped. I was not happy, it was a big one. The biggest I have ever caught is 6 lbs. I truly feel this one would have been my biggest.

There is always Sunday.

Morning everybody

Happy anniversary @OldEvilleCat .

I'm a big history buff too. There's an upcoming WW2 movie that has already caught my attention:

Ended with a one that got away story. When the rain quit the wind shifted and I went to the other side of the pond to cast with wind to my back. Saw a log sticking out of the water at a good distance so, I switched to a blue 8" stick worm (more weight for the cast). Second cast landed right next to the log and I had an immediate strike and it was a big one. Rod was bent down and line was being pulled out because the drag was set at about 8 lbs. I was reeling and pulling hard to keep the hook set and when I finally got it close to the bank the line snapped. I was not happy, it was a big one. The biggest I have ever caught is 6 lbs. I truly feel this one would have been my biggest.

There is always Sunday.
Yeah, that sounds exciting. It was big. 6 pounds is my biggest too. But ......... what you just experienced is why we do it. When I caught that 6 pounder I flipped my worm towards a log and the worm stuck right on top of the log. Perfect! I jiggled it, and it slid right off. It was in its ambush spot and took the worm. Man, that's fun. Failing to get the big one because it broke your line keeps you going a lot more than talking to crazy liberals.

I visited OC one time and was amazed at the 8-10 foot Oak trees. Are they like that where you live?[/QUOTE]

No, trees are small here. When my son (a twin) and his wife had triplets, I went to visit them in the hospital in Chattanooga Tn, May 2016 and then came home to Kentucky for a few days. My daughter was amazed at how tall the trees were compared to here. When my wife first visited in 2000, she too exclaimed how beautiful and tall they were. Not a lot of trees in my area compared to back home.

I'm a big history buff too.
I visited OC one time and was amazed at the 8-10 foot Oak trees.
I love bigguns. When traversing Louisville one cannot help but notice the Oaks along the parkways. That was not an accident. During the depression they were planted by country folk living in the West Louisville Portland area as part of the WPA. Those country folk had been planting groves of mast trees for hundreds of years. History & ecology. Link

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT