ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

BarreVT1962_03_2000.jpg

Before cream when Clapton was with the Yardbirds, I got to spend a lot of time with him at Park Mammoth resort in Park City, the place I worked at night for college money. Dick Clark's caravan of stars would rent the place out and do their shows in the area. Eric Clapton, Bobby Goldsboro, Sam the Sham and Del Shannon were the non-pot heads that tried to keep the excesses of the other in check.

Eric Clapton is one fine man. I have loved every group that he has been in and bought most of their records.

By the way Sam the Sham had a vocal group of girls backing him up. I have one's name, address and phone number she wrote in my physics book. I kept the Physics book because of that. Actually called he a couple times, but never saw her again. Plus I got married in 1966 and Sherry would have killed me.

Has Detroit changed much since then?

It was not so bad then. The decline had started but was not yet in freefall. Had relatives there so that's where I went after high school to try to find a job. There was a recession going on at that time and I couldn't find a job. Went back to the hills and later went to Fort Wayne, IN and found a good job at the International Harvester truck plant. I have been grateful ever since that I couldn't find a job in Detroit.

Before cream when Clapton was with the Yardbirds, I got to spend a lot of time with him at Park Mammoth resort in Park City, the place I worked at night for college money. Dick Clark's caravan of stars would rent the place out and do their shows in the area. Eric Clapton, Bobby Goldsboro, Sam the Sham and Del Shannon were the non-pot heads that tried to keep the excesses of the other in check.

Eric Clapton is one fine man. I have loved every group that he has been in and bought most of their records.

By the way Sam the Sham had a vocal group of girls backing him up. I have one's name, address and phone number she wrote in my physics book. I kept the Physics book because of that. Actually called he a couple times, but never saw her again. Plus I got married in 1966 and Sherry would have killed me.

Didn't Clapton get into drugs big time later?

"Uno, dos, one, two, three, quatro ..."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT