ADVERTISEMENT

CRod's impact?

SkyPrince1

Junior
Aug 17, 2004
Topic came up.on SEC Now.
Doering bullish on CRods impact on return.
Spikes and Watson say minimal because the line can't block.
Opinoins?

Is the NCAA investigation over or just starting?
I thought it was over but this self reporting article leads me to believe otherwise. Which is it guys? Very confusing and upsetting.

He had a low stuff rate and rarely ever tackled in first 1-3 yards relative to other UK backs the last two seasons. Arguably he outperformed his OL but this will be his worst OL.

I think he’ll make a big difference in second half as defenses wear out like Florida (not applicable to deep front sevens). Prob minor impact to most first halves except vs bad defenses.

Reactions: 3Bluefever325
His ability to shake the first defender will help tremendously. However, if everyone recalls, he had problems running in the outside zone scheme to start last season. Hopefully he has had time to refine his skills to make him an even better runner.

C Rod has great straight line speed, he just needs to use his cutback angles better. he was much better by the end of last season at it. Hopefully he will be chomping at the bit to show NFL scouts he is even better now!!

Yeah I’m not seeing much of a jump in terms or rushing yards since the line is like Swiss cheese. I do think he can help in the passing game though.

He’s a huge upgrade in talent, but if the line can’t open holes then it won’t make much of a difference.

Reactions: UKat1
Topic came up.on SEC Now.
Doering bullish on CRods impact on return.
Spikes and Watson say minimal because the line can't block.
Opinoins?
Spikes and Watson are correct. C-Rod can only do so much on his own......our O line isn't the big blue wall, they are the big soft wall. No nasty streak and getting schooled with stunts and twists, not to mention they aren't making any pancakes. When your o line struggles to open holes and pass pro against FCS schools, you know your in trouble.

Anyone who knows or watches enough football can see the weakness, the sad thing is many of them who were on the team last year were never developed by previous O line coach Eric Wolford. Levis also has got to get rid of the ball when he senses the pressure is getting too close, he takes far too many avoidable sacks. He also isn't taking off running the ball like he did last season....some of that is probably staff don't want him taking chances running to avoid injury, which is also disturbing because that means they have no confidence in the backup QB Hogan.

If the offense keeps playing as it has, beating UT, Ole Miss and MSU may be a pipe dream. Ole Miss and UT looked like better teams in my opinion. Can we outscore UT against their now stout defense?? Same against Ole Miss? We shall soon see and we aren’t the 8th best team in the country....ranked #20 a couple weeks ago is more realistic to where we should be ranked

Last edited:
Is the NCAA investigation over or just starting?
I thought it was over but this self reporting article leads me to believe otherwise. Which is it guys? Very confusing and upsetting.
Per multiple reports NCAA investigation is over and complete. CROD punishment is 4 games or 1/3 the season (pretty harsh so something was found). Herald Leader wants to report the story now as things are going good and they need to make sure something bad is out there. They do not like UK sports and have not since the days of the Lexington Herald and Lexington Leader (Morning and Evening additions of the paper). My dad got the evening addition which if i remember correctly was the leader (stories of the day).

Reactions: HerrosHeroes
i would hope our block scheme will be different for CROD than the rest of the backs. Our coaches have made plays for TROB in the backfield. That means they are not happy with backs as well as OLINE. You would have thought Drennan would have been in game (unless he also is out due to same issue as CROD). Now we have seen TROB about 4 times a game in the backfield, plus the jet sweep. If it was all on the line you would not put a 185 lb wide out in backfield to run the ball. TROB made one heck of a down field block to help LEVIS get that extra yardage in the 2nd half. I want to see what we do after guys are all back and we have played a game or three. GO BIG BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris was great at turning 3 yard gains into 6 yard runs.
But 2 yard loses will stay 2 yard losses no matter the rusher.

Reactions: Rush2112 UK
I was watching Van Hile's cut ups on the Youngstown game and he had one devastating run play where we had three blockers on one player well beyond the action and three defenders tackling Smoke. It looked absolutely ridiculous. There are a lot of mistakes on assignments going on on the run plays.

IMO CRod can get 1-2 yds per carry more than Smoke. So on 20 Carries that’s about 30 yds. So I think he will avg 100+ yds per game.Smoke should get another 40-50 yds on 10 Carries.

So my guess is with CRod, UK will avg 140-150 yds per game rushing.

Spikes and Watson are correct. C-Rod can only do so much on his own......our O line isn't the big blue wall, they are the big soft wall. No nasty streak and getting schooled with stunts and twists, not to mention they aren't making any pancakes. When your o line struggles to open holes and pass pro against FCS schools, you know your in trouble.

Anyone who knows or watches enough football can see the weakness, the sad thing is many of them who were on the team last year were never developed by previous O line coach Eric Wolford. Levis also has got to get rid of the ball when he senses the pressure is getting too close, he takes far too many avoidable sacks. He also isn't taking off running the ball like he did last season....some of that is probably staff don't want him taking chances running to avoid injury, which is also disturbing because that means they have no confidence in the backup QB Hogan.

If the offense keeps playing as it has, beating UT, Ole Miss and MSU may be a pipe dream. Ole Miss and UT looked like better teams in my opinion. Can we outscore UT against their now stout defense?? Same against Ole Miss? We shall soon see and we aren’t the 8th best team in the country....ranked #20 a couple weeks ago is more realistic to where we should be ranked
Tennesuck does not have a stout defense the only decent team they have played is Pitt and Pitt moved the ball pretty easy on them and Pitts qb sucks

One big way I think CRod can help is on those plays where it's just one man to beat. That guy always seems to trip up Smoke. So, it goes for 8 instead of 20+. Take one of those to the house and the run stats look much better even if the run blocking is poor more often than not.

Also hope that his attitude helps the o-line. A guy that always puts the hit on can help a team to develop that nasty streak.

Smoke has had way too many negative yardage run plays. That's something you don't get from Smoke. I think even losing Jefferson has hurt some too. Getting CRod back will in the least negate those negative yardage plays as he rarely gets caught behind the LOS and he always surges forward even in short gains. His presence might also help the OLine's confidence with those negative yardage plays being averted.

If this was Georgia or anybody else all the media would be talking about is how the best back in the SEC is coming back that not only can he run and create holes but he is an incredible blocker. I think there’s no question about it, Chris changes the dynamic of the Offense instantly. You go from having a back standing next to Levis who is scared of contact to someone standing next to Levis looking for contact.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT