ADVERTISEMENT

Bengals sign Zack Moss, releasing Joe Mixon

jameslee32

All-American
Mar 26, 2009
Cake, KY
Shocker and wondering who gets the ball on the 1-yard line?

Mixon is 220+ lbs. Moss is 205 lbs. Chase Brown is much smaller.

Moss for now.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
With the draft LOADED with WR, Higgins value is diminished. Bad year to try and do that.
I hope the Bengals can make it work. If they can keep Joe Cool healthy they have a shot.

To get Bowers, the Bengals would likely have to move up about 10-11 spots from #18 to #7-8....maybe higher. They would likely have to package a couple of 2nd rd picks.......or a 2nd and 3rd rd picks + a kicker.......to make the move.

Trading Higgins might yield a 2nd or 3rd pick....which would help the Bengals set up a trade scenario above. However, the exceptionally deep WR draft class would likely diminish Higgins' trade value.

Also, is Bowers worth a massive trade? He's certainly worth being selected in the top half of the 1st rd, but I'm not sure he's worth trading up 10+ spots....especially given the depth of the WR class.

Cincinnati may have no choice but to move on from Higgins at some point regardless how deep the WR pool is in this year's class. The Bengals could trade him midseason. They risk Tee deciding to sit out the season with the team already dealing with a disgruntled player not happy with the front office after extension talks have gone nowhere. Missing regular season games will diminish his trade value more than anything for a team not having him for an entire season.

He probably walks at the end of the year and the best they can hope for is a 3rd Round compensation pick. The Bengals may be able to make it work for a year. However, they are highly unlikely to be able to retain Higgins AND Chase who is an UFA after 2025. Cincinnati drafts well and having team control over talent on a rookie contract is the best way for a smaller market team to sustain their window to contend in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ky grandpa
Bengals just signed TE Mike Gesiski so Bowers probably not an option.

Cincy needs to upgrade in the trenches now!
So a grand total of 400 yards & 4 receiving touchdowns combined last year between our projected top 2 TE targets (Gesicki & Sample) going into 2024. Typical Bengals move on the open market. They better hope like hell Higgins has a change of heart and keep everyone healthy.

So a grand total of 400 yards & 4 receiving touchdowns combined last year between our projected top 2 TE targets (Gesicki & Sample) going into 2024. Typical Bengals move on the open market. They better hope like hell Higgins has a change of heart and keep everyone healthy.
Injuries and piss poor QB play from Mac Jones certainly had a lot to do with Gesicki's lack of production in New England. Burrow should elevate his game and may be a steal by the time the season ends. I don't believe Mike will be at his peak from Miami getting anywhere from 85-112 targets per season when Bengals TEs combined only had 115 in 2023. It is an upgrade though from Irv Smith and they couldn't go into the season with Sample being your starting TE. He is a solid backup but that is his ceiling. This is a 1-year deal so he is likely gone whether it is a productive season for a bigger contract or an average season leaving Cincinnati still searching for a franchise TE is still in 2025. 4th different starting TE since Burrow has been drafted.

Shocker and wondering who gets the ball on the 1-yard line?

Mixon is 220+ lbs. Moss is 205 lbs. Chase Brown is much smaller.

Moss for now.
I believe it was a good move. Stone is a great sign. Geseicki is a really goid sign too. Hope they hit the trenches next.

Reactions: deep3
Good. That piece of TRASH doesn't deserve to be in the NFL and I hated that he was with Cincinnati.

They’ve only signed 3 FA TEs already. So I guess that tells us their pick won’t be Bowers
Gee, if only I could have seen into the future what the Bengals plans were today when they signed Gesicki before making my post only last night. I could be as smart as you are. For the record, they only added one. Re-Signed Sample who was already on the team!

With the draft LOADED with WR, Higgins value is diminished. Bad year to try and do that.
I hope the Bengals can make it work. If they can keep Joe Cool healthy they have a shot.
Fair point. Though Cincinnati may still need to explore a trade for Higgins if he were to sit out and give Cincinnati nothing this year just to walk at the end of the year. Maybe a team will be more desperate to make a trade in the regular season if a WR gets injured. I'd rather move on from anyone that could bring the locker room down and address other areas Cincinnati needs to fix. Not saying Higgins is going to do that but you can't ignore the possibility either. Health will be the biggest key to a successful Bengals season. So is addressing the interior D-Line, OL depth added safety Geno Stone but still need a CB especially with Awuzie in TN and depth behind Hubbard/Hendrickson.

Last edited:
I’m sure the Tennessee would be interested in Higgins but not sure what the asking price is.

I’m sure the Tennessee would be interested in Higgins but not sure what the asking price is.

I'm not sure either. I've heard rumors from 2-4th rd picks. The Titans have 174 holes to fill.....and don't have a 3rd rd pick. I would tend to think that they'd be out of the Higgins/trade business.

That being said, there's a lot of smoke that the Titans are looking to trade for Sneed.

Reactions: Girthang
offer Higgins and our first round pick to get high enough to draft Bowers, if necessary throw in a 4th round pick

Houston heard the news and just didn't want to wait I guess. They also signed Danielle Hunter from the Vikings. Glad we don't play them.

Houston may have just made an incredible trade in doing so. We'll see, but it looks like a heckuva good deal for them. Win win for both teams if Mixon was going to FA anyway

Last edited:
How do you only get a 7th round pick for a pro bowl RB?
Houston gives Mixon a 3-year $27 million extension. It's fair to say Cincinnati probably could have gotten more for the Bengals 3rd all-time leading rusher to a playoff contender.

Cincy got a leg up today as the Steelers made Russell Wilson their day one starter and traded Pickett to the Eagles. Head scratcher for me, but Pittsburgh starting over with just Wilson in the roster @QB has to make some Bengals fans decently happy.

The bad year/loaded WR draft excuse is out the window when Higgins is going to be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season. They have everything to lose if Higgins does not play this year and he bolts in free agency with no return. They are going to look like fools if this happens.

Last edited:
Cincy got a leg up today as the Steelers made Russell Wilson their day one starter and traded Pickett to the Eagles. Head scratcher for me, but Pittsburgh starting over with just Wilson in the roster @QB has to make some Bengals fans decently happy.
Now they go get Justin Fields. Wow.

• Wow
Just read that @M4CAT
Thanks for the heads up!
I have a buddy that likes the Steelers. He said they're only paying around $5 million combined for the 2 QBs. If so, that is amazing for them and can allow them the payroll flexibility to add weapons around with the already good defense. That is why some team should come calling on the Bengals Jake Browning. A base salary of $915,000. He just kept getting better as the season went on and kept them in playoff contention late into the season. A smart team would make this trade and add weapons all around him with the team friendly contract.

• Love
I have a buddy that likes the Steelers. He said they're only paying around $5 million combined for the 2 QBs. If so, that is amazing for them and can allow them the payroll flexibility to add weapons around with the already good defense. That is why some team should come calling on the Bengals Jake Browning. A base salary of $915,000. He just kept getting better as the season went on and kept them in playoff contention late into the season. A smart team would make this trade and add weapons all around him with the team friendly contract.

I'm a Steelers fan. Also a Bears fan. Good news for me both ways.

Felt bad for Fields being stuck in Chicago with a franchise that no longer cares about football. He's a talented QB and football player that never got the coaching and support he needed there. I liked KP. Disappointed he's been traded, but this will have to do.

Steelers need OL in a BAD BAD WAY. Maybe saving some money in these deals will allow them to get some great linemen. Have to hope that anyway.

Good news for the Bengals is that they should have to face the Steelers in an otherwise down year. Retooling the whole offense is not easy. Will be surprised if any of this pays off as early as 2024.

Reactions: M4CAT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT