ADVERTISEMENT

Could Texas A&M come for Stoops?

And, to further your earlier point, talent translates more often than not. It’s why the same teams with the highest rated recruiting classes tend to be ranked at the end of the year, year-in and year-out.
100%

I live in Dallas and know better. Texans are all loud mouths that talk big, but aren't shyt. Especially that cult in College Station. Didn't break the bank for Mike Sherman. Not for Kevin Sumlin. Buzz Williams. Bill Kennedy. They paid too much for Jimbo, but if money was truly no object, they'd fired him two years ago. All hat, no cattle. Some small timer going to get a nice promotion, but not Stoops money.
What about Petrin😎?

Schools coming after Stoops is completely made up hype. I’m willing to bet not even one school has ever contacted him. Even if he was winning, which he isn’t, nobody in this day wants to watch his style.

Stoops getting fired is made up hype too

Just going by stoops history. I think this is his last job. Growing up as a public school coach's son he has more money than he ever thought possible, his dad died on a side line, his older brother retired before 60, I think CMS does the same. That isn't meant to be negative in any way, but his family history is what it is. Time to enjoy his time. I personally think he is one of the better coaches in SEC,
I love ya Grumpy but you all have beaten us like a rented mule since he has been here so forgive me if I don’t agree with you. Lol

Those rankings are not transferring to the on field product. We have some 4 star players not even getting playing time. Rankings from high school do not mean victories in college. His in game management is the worst in the business. Wasted timeouts, stupid penalties, undisciplined play have killed this team. In my opinion and I do not know this to be fact but all indications are that he is a control freak, unwilling to surrender that control when it comes to managing this team. Yes we get some good players but getting 4-5 when other schools are getting 15-20 then not developing them because you refuse to trust your coaches. Kids want to play an exciting brand of football. Running the fewest offensive plays in D1 means they may only get 2-3 opportunities to be involved in a game. It’s boring, they lose focus then they start losing interest. It’s a losing mentality that he’s refused to change over the years. Yes it’s led to some great seasons but each season is different based on personnel. We have had one running back really shine this year, we have wasted our 3 best wide receivers. I would not be a bit surprised if Brown, Key hit the portal. Dane Key looked like he was saying goodbye yesterday.
Excellent post. Been saying this myself.

Reactions: UKTOPDOG
The man hasn't been perfect by any stretch. Can you please give a replacement for him? That's not even including a buyout. I've been pissed at Stoops at times, but I haven't mentally ejaculated on his replacement.

Maybe, you're right and I'm wrong. It wouldn't be the first time I am. Show me a good replacement with the donors to actually pay for it and I'm down.
This has been discussed and it’s really a dumb question. No fan on this board can tell u who the next coach will be, but there will be plenty of applicants. And the next one will be better than Stoops.

Just going by stoops history. I think this is his last job. Growing up as a public school coach's son he has more money than he ever thought possible, his dad died on a side line, his older brother retired before 60, I think CMS does the same. That isn't meant to be negative in any way, but his family history is what it is. Time to enjoy his time. I personally think he is one of the better coaches in SEC,
This is how I feel as well. I think Stoops takes his shot for 5-10 more years here and then hangs it up like brother Bob. Especially with the 12 team playoff coming, he knows he can make the 12 team cut here by finishing 2nd in the East. That’s manageable; and then you get to go beat some overrated team from another conference that only had to get up for 1 major matchup a year to get to the final 6.

They will go cheaper.
Try to get the guy at kansas or liberty or james Madison.

I'm happy with Stoops, but the Bloom is off the rose.
If anyone makes a run, it's Iowa, maybe.
That’s my guess. Stoops offense is actually an upgrade over what Iowa has now.

A&M is not firing Jimbo mid season and ponying up that absurd buyout just to go out and get Mark Stoops

I do believe he could get 1-2 more wins a year with their resources as opposed to ours, but Aggie fans are comparing themselves to Texas and Oklahoma. That might not be realistic but it's what they're shooting for. Hiring Mark Stoops would make zero sense.

I'm sure they'll at least wine and dine Urban Meyer.

If they want boring football and painfully mediocre results, then absolutely!
They’ve spent many a year complaining about the offense with fisher they aren’t going after someone with stoops’ track record on that side of the ball. 1 year in the top half of ncaa offenses isn’t as much of a resume builder as Mitch bought into from Jimmie sexton

Reactions: MbergCat
Dabo would have to do a complete 180° on his NIL and transfer philosophy. A&Ms pocket books are their biggest asset.

This is how I feel as well. I think Stoops takes his shot for 5-10 more years here and then hangs it up like brother Bob. Especially with the 12 team playoff coming, he knows he can make the 12 team cut here by finishing 2nd in the East. That’s manageable; and then you get to go beat some overrated team from another conference that only had to get up for 1 major matchup a year to get to the final 6.
There is no more East

Stoops will be a candidate imo. He’s overachieved at UK by the programs historical standards. Has low buyout relative to the big names. Would recruit TX well. Checks lots of boxes.
There is no way. He’s a down the list fallback candidate for these type places but we pay him so much now it would cost more than fall back money at those places to get him. HR money for fallback hire doesn’t make sense for them

There is no way. He’s a down the list fallback candidate for these type places but we pay him so much now it would cost more than fall back money at those places to get him. HR money for fallback hire doesn’t make sense for them
Stoops will get paid more when or if he leaves UK. I also don’t think there’s as much difference in pay between first and sixth choice as you seem to. Pay Stoops $1.5 million/year more than he makes now and you still save money with his low buyout over four years.

That’s before coaching salaries May as well be Monopoly money at the bluebloods these days.

Oh wait

Matt Jones just called me. He told me he would give me $1M if VM does not take over for Jimbo

Reactions: Dddjdd
I think everybody on this board likes / respects you. You may very well be right on this but UK has some of the best fans anywhere and we’ve been kicked in the gut for most of our lives. Not sure you can relate and that’s not a knock on you. We want / deserve a football team that competes with the Alabamas and Georgias of the world before we die. CMS may be a decent man but he’s peaked here. Watching his vanilla philosophy and lack of discipline is old too. We just want to have a shot to beat a good team on occasion and we can’t even beat Tennessee. Make sense ?

The man hasn't been perfect by any stretch. Can you please give a replacement for him? That's not even including a buyout. I've been pissed at Stoops at times, but I haven't mentally ejaculated on his replacement.

Maybe, you're right and I'm wrong. It wouldn't be the first time I am. Show me a good replacement with the donors to actually pay for it and I'm down.
It’s not anyone’s job on this forum to find a replacement, give it a break. Anyone who is paying attention knows that stoops has hit his ceiling here and it’s mostly due to his own doing. He recruits well enough to compete but he will never get past his conservative nature. He coaches like a scared little girl. With stoops, moving forward we are going to get 7-5 or 6-6 seasons at best and continue to lose by an average of over 26 points to the elite competition in the SEC. No thank you as far as I’m concerned. Bring someone in who has a vision of getting UK to the next step, stoops has shown time and time again he isn’t capable. Settling for stoops is settling for mediocrity.

A replacement is out there. Don’t think he’s irreplaceable. You have to build your team, specifically your offense, around the talent you have. We have 4 and 5 star players getting 1-2 touches a game. I can think of several coaches out there. Kliff Kingsbury, Dan Mullen, Jeff Graylor to name a few.

Reactions: cathouse
Stoops will be a candidate imo. He’s overachieved at UK by the programs historical standards. Has low buyout relative to the big names. Would recruit TX well.
Stoops will get paid more when or if he leaves UK. I also don’t think there’s as much difference in pay between first and sixth choice as you seem to. Pay Stoops $1.5 million/year more than he makes now and you still save money with his low buyout over four years.

That’s before coaching salaries May as well be Monopoly money at the bluebloods these days.
the only program at this point would be Iowa. They would see it as an offensive improvement although their defenses are better than ours year in year out. And I don’t see him moving to Iowa at this point

Mark has ran a clean program here and has turned Kentucky into a really respectable school. I’m proud of what he’s done here and of course as much as I’d love winning the SEC every year, that’s not the reality we live in. Lol We have built a better football program since he’s been here and we’re getting some really good football players to play here and competing hard. . There’s definitely a few better football coaches out there who no doubt would take the next step towards having playoff type seasons, I just don’t think those coaches are knocking down the door to come here at this Point. Now, when Mark Stoops does decide to retire or whatever happens to open up the head football coach position, I honestly hope we go as big and try to get the absolute best coach we can possibly get. I do think Kentucky has a chance to become a better football program, but at this point in time I’m going to enjoy what I have. I will say, I hate losing as much as any human being on the planet, and it makes me sick at my stomach to not win. Football is a sport where you pick your team and live and die with the results!! It just is what it is. Lol.

the only program at this point would be Iowa. They would see it as an offensive improvement although their defenses are better than ours year in year out. And I don’t see him moving to Iowa at this point
Agree to disagree. I think he’d be the second or third option at several big schools that would pay him more than he makes now.

Iowa is interesting. I wonder if their DC would be the front runner but have no idea.

Stoops will be a candidate imo. He’s overachieved at UK by the programs historical standards. Has low buyout relative to the big names. Would recruit TX well. Checks lots of boxes.
Stoops not name dropped in this…but Jon Sumrall is

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT