ADVERTISEMENT

Could somebody who knows what they are talking about please tell us when the last day Big Z could enroll and play this semester.

The official last day for add/drop was last week. He has allegedly been given an extension by the president. I don’t know if that waiver has an end date or not. I would assume it doesn’t extend indefinitely but who knows. I would expect everything would need to be resolved one way or another within the next week on our end. He could back out at anytime if this continues to drag on much longer.

The official last day for add/drop was last week. He has allegedly been given an extension by the president. I don’t know if that waiver has an end date or not. I would assume it doesn’t extend indefinitely but who knows. I would expect everything would need to be resolved one way or another within the next week on our end. He could back out at anytime if this continues to drag on much longer.

Here's the thing with me- the president can do pretty much whatever he wants, so I would imagine that deadline can go as far as he wants, BUT he also could probably admit the kid himself with a wave of his hand.

Let's get it done.

I believe the president's office tipped its hand last night with that statement it was stampeded into issuing. You don't have the university spokesman chastising 'false reports" and saying,

"The truth is members of our university – from our athletics department to our administration and all other units – are working together efficiently and in a manner that is consistent with the institution’s admissions standards...to do the right thing for an individual wishing to attend the university."

...only to then admit, "well, despite the efforts of the entire administrative staff, we failed..." You'd look like the biggest collection of clowns in America.

It's a matter of how and when they get it done, not if...

Last edited:
Here's the thing with me- the president can do pretty much whatever he wants, so I would imagine that deadline can go as far as he wants, BUT he also could probably admit the kid himself with a wave of his hand.

Let's get it done.
Technically, he could, although the academic side of the house would lose it. But from a class perspective, someone who starts a month into the semester (or whenever it may be) is just set up to fail.

UK admissions website states... you can be conditionally enrolled at UK, if you have failed the English (TOEFLs?) test.. which BigZ failed the reading part, due to his dyslexia... then the site says, after you pass the test, you will "seemlessly" be removed from the conditional status.

So whats the hold up?

UK admissions website states... you can be conditionally enrolled at UK, if you have failed the English (TOEFLs?) test.. which BigZ failed the reading part, due to his dyslexia... then the site says, after you pass the test, you will "seemlessly" be removed from the conditional status.

So whats the hold up?
If the person who evaluated Z’s test results is the same person who wrote “seemlessly” on the website, then Z isn’t the problem.

Let's get it done.

Big Z is the type of NBA player, NBA size, and plays a position we greatly need.. to potentially be the difference between a 2nd round exit as a 5-seed, or a Final4 as a 2-seed. Or beyond.

Whatever the time and cost it takes to get him eligible, you do it.. because if he turns out to be a piece that we need, it could make the school and the basketball program a lot of money if we add some games in march or possibly even cut the nets down.

We finally get a very good prospect from overseas who wants to come here, and this crap happens again. If this one doesn't work out, we need to forget about bringing kids from overseas to play here, this is ridiculous.

No, what we need to do is just do what every other school seems to do. Look the other way, help the kids with whatever he needs to be eligible, use connections and money to help things along, don't give the NCAA anything, etc etc etc..

If the rules are stacked against you.. you don't say "Oh well, guess we will make due".. you fix it.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat

So whats the hold up?
Wait, he has dyslexia? That's an accommodation for students under ADA. Is UK tryting to get sued on top of everything else?
If he failed that part because he was dyslexic, that should have some weight towards his admission.

Big Z is the type of NBA player, NBA size, and plays a position we greatly need.. to potentially be the difference between a 2nd round exit as a 5-seed, or a Final4 as a 2-seed. Or beyond.

Whatever the time and cost it takes to get him eligible, you do it.. because if he turns out to be a piece that we need, it could make the school and the basketball program a lot of money if we add some games in march or possibly even cut the nets down.

At some point, the kid could get tired of hanging around by the balls, and just go to another school that will accept his admission without hesitation or question. That's why this whole fiasco is just freakin stupid. We are supposed to be a fkin basketball school, Jesus Christ.

This reminds me of the stupid alcohol policy we had for our athletes in the early 2000s that cost Desmond Allison a chance at playing in the NCAA tournament. Kentucky always seems to be a really good at doing stupid stuff.

Yeah. Just throw 18 and 19 year old kids away for making mistakes. Maybe Desmond goes on to the NBA if he stays at UK, and ends his generational poverty. Maybe then he doesn't wind up back in the hood and avoids his own murder. Just maybe.

At some point, the kid could get tired of hanging around by the balls, and just go to another school that will accept his admission without hesitation or question. That's why this whole fiasco is just freakin stupid. We are supposed to be a fkin basketball school, Jesus Christ.
And it's not like his academics are questionable. He's got the grades, he speaks 4 languages so he's versatile and intelligent. This whole fiasco is a stain on the university. Stop making it difficult for int'l students to come here.

Surprised that hasn't already happened, since he was coming to UK the whole process was doomed from the get go. Anyone who has paid any attention to UK basketball over the past several years knew there would be some type of major issue or problem

Between Mitch going hard on alcohol, his silly reluctance to embrace NIL, the moronic policies against drinking in the early 2000s, and now seeing how hard it is for Big Z to get admission, Kentucky has all the feel for being the retarded cousin of the SEC family reunion.

We finally get a very good prospect from overseas who wants to come here, and this crap happens again. If this one doesn't work out, we need to forget about bringing kids from overseas to play here, this is ridiculous.
Or find a way to replace the folks in the administration who are holding things up.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
IMO I think UK just wants to make sure they have all of the T's crossed and I dotted and don't want to have another player from overseas that can not play for some reason. They need to get this done as soon as possible.

I believe the president's office tipped its hand last night with that statement it was stampeded into issuing. You don't have the university spokesman chastising 'false reports" and saying,

"The truth is members of our university – from our athletics department to our administration and all other units – are working together efficiently and in a manner that is consistent with the institution’s admissions standards...to do the right thing for an individual wishing to attend the university."

...only to then admit, "well, despite the efforts of the entire administrative staff, we failed..." You'd look like the biggest collection of clowns in America.

It's a matter of how and when they get it done, not if...

Yeah, I mean there will be pitch forks if this kid isn't let into school. Imagine in 2023 a southern state, with a 90%+ acceptance rate, denying a foreign student with dyslexia based on a technicality. Forget about his basketball skills. It would be an incredibly bad look for the UofK.

IMO I think UK just wants to make sure they have all of the T's crossed and I dotted and don't want to have another player from overseas that can not play for some reason. They need to get this done as soon as possible.

I truly hope this is the case, but they could say that...and they didn't. What was said last night seemed like an admittance of what Jones and other called out.

And it's not like his academics are questionable. He's got the grades, he speaks 4 languages so he's versatile and intelligent. This whole fiasco is a stain on the university. Stop making it difficult for int'l students to come here.

What I truly don't understand is that there were/are plenty of students at UK who speak hardly no English.

@Ron Mehico can attest to our time together at UK. 20 years ago there were a ton, I imagine there are even more now. Hell, Drew Franklin claimed to have a friend who dropped a class because he couldn't understand his professor at UK.

That is what makes this so freaking weird.

UK worries about the dotted i and the crossed t from everything to NIL to foreign admissions. Meanwhile UNC, Kansas, Duke, and UConn have collectively won 7 titles since Calipari came here. I guarantee you none of those schools are dotting their I or crossing their ts.

We should probably care a lot less about "doing it the right way." That's loser thinking, and it's precisely why Indiana became Indiana.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
UK worries about the dotted i and the crossed t from everything to NIL to foreign admissions. Meanwhile UNC, Kansas, Duke, and UConn have collectively won 7 titles since Calipari came here. I guarantee you none of those schools are dotting their I or crossing their ts.

We should probably care a lot less about "doing it the right way." That's loser thinking, and it's precisely why Indiana became Indiana.

I'll slightly disagree.

Dabo thinks he's "Doing it the right way" down a Clemson. He's not. He's not using the tools available them. UK is (at least the ball program).

You still have to obey the rules, but in this situation, no one is going to care if you issue a waiver. Especially for one dude. Now, if you did it for like 3 or 4 in one year. Then some eyebrows might get raised.

Issuing Z a waiver would still be doing it "the right way".

Matt jones said on his show that they’re supposed have a meeting today 🤷🏼🤷🏼🤷🏼

Matt jones said on his show that they’re supposed have a meeting today 🤷🏼🤷🏼🤷🏼
Live footage of the "meeting"

this-ding-dong-drove-through-a-group-of-people-in-minnesota

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT