ADVERTISEMENT

Conference Expansion: Will There Be A Casualty?

I think Kansas will be fine because they are in the Kansas City market. They are probably the most likely to get invited to the Big 10 out of all the remaining Big XII teams. They haven't always been this bad at football. They are only about a decade removed from winning the Orange Bowl.

The Big XII needs to add Houston, Memphis, Cincinnati and South Florida if they want to stay in existence.

I agree those would
What I'm saying is that you have the ACC at 15 right now, which is true except for football. That was a one year deal with ND because of covid. So adding just WVU would give us an odd number of teams.

And ND will never join the B1G. They're an old BIG East school with all the subway alumni in the northeast and mid-atlantic. They recruit nationally. Joining the B1G would regionalize them because they lose there footprint in the south. Not to mention they're a small private catholic school, so they share nothing in common with the B1G schools. The ACC is a much better fit, but until they join, they're still an independent.

Well times are changing, NCAA is just a nameplate now, no longer will they be able to protect ND. ND will either join a conference for football or become a mid major program. It will likely be the ACC because of the relationship it already has or the Big10. Cinncy would jump at the chance to be in the ACC, Big10 or the SEC. I don't know anything about their academics, but probably as good as Louisville

I agree....BB is a non-factor, and KU will finally pay a price for the putrid FB they've been putting on the field. FB is the goose that lays the golden egg and the Rock-Chalk AAU eggheads from Lawrence never the got the memo. Plus, their BB team has the specter of sanctions still hanging over it.

Honestly, I think the remaining Big 12 members should have already gone out to UCF, Cincy, Memphis, Boise St, Houston, SMU, BYU, and Colorado St to fill out their own 16-team conference and be in second place in the race to have a 16-team league. This would also cut off the B1G, PAC12, and ACC from adding teams from the same population.

But....the Big 12 history is "day late and dollar short," so I suppose they'll stand pat and get picked off one by one.

If B12 dissolves, I see Ok state, ISU, Texas Tech, finding homes because they represent decent FB and they're big schools that can add some value to either B1G, ACC, or PAC12. ISU is also AAU qualified, so they may have an inside track with the B1G.

Baylor and TCU are good but small private schools and they "might" get some play with the ACC....I don't see any other options for them....probably less than 50/50.

WVU...maaaaaaybe the ACC but I doubt it because they're academic bottom-feeders. No one likes going to Morgantown anyway because you find yourself dodging batteries and beer bottles in the stadium and burning couches on roadways on the way out of town.

KSU and KU twisting in the wind, and they are American Athletic Conference bound IMO....but they'll have those periodic trips to East Carolina to energize their fanbase (sarc off).

GBB!

Lol. Truth about Morgantown. Cows being pushed off the top of dorm buildings.

I agree those would

Well times are changing, NCAA is just a nameplate now, no longer will they be able to protect ND. ND will either join a conference for football or become a mid major program. It will likely be the ACC because of the relationship it already has or the Big10. Cinncy would jump at the chance to be in the ACC, Big10 or the SEC. I don't know anything about their academics, but probably as good as Louisville
If ND is facing the potential for 3 or 4 super-conferences with a total of 60+ members overall...they will have to join a conference to secure some type of guaranteed pathway to the CFP. I would bet they tell the ACC to kiss off, and they join the B1G because of proximity, historic rivalries with Michigan and MSU, better academics in the B1G, AND more money with the Big 10er's TV deal.

ACC got used like a rental car last year, and will get stood up at the alter for the B1G IMO.

GBB!

Reactions: ok-cats-computer
If ND is facing the potential for 3 or 4 super-conferences with a total of 60+ members overall...they will have to join a conference to secure some type of guaranteed pathway to the CFP. I would bet they tell the ACC to kiss off, and they join the B1G because of proximity, historic rivalries with Michigan and MSU, better academics in the B1G, AND more money with the Big 10er's TV deal.

ACC got used like a rental car last year, and will get stood up at the alter for the B1G IMO.

GBB!

Nah. What I posted above. That'll never happen. B1G is terrible fit. And they obviously don't care about the money. Their NBC contract is mediocre by todays standards and they only get about $10 million from the ACC. They're already halfway there and if they join a conference in football before 2036 it has to be the ACC.

Last edited:
I have no insight to what’s going to happen, but I love the chaos! And F the Big 12 forever and always.

I do think that UCF, Memphis, and Cincinnati deserve to land somewhere- the thing that bothers me is that the era of “super” conferences means less teams have a chance to compete, and that’s bad for the long-term health of college football

GBB!
They would never join the Big Ten...way too much bad blood...talk to just about any Notre Dame Alum

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
I agree those would

Notre Dame was at the table with the SEC Commissioner when they crafted the new CFP Playoffs. They will not be forced to do anything. The NCAA is a nameplate but from appearances the ones that actually control College Football and that is the Commissioners of the Autonomous Five League are allowing it.

I agree....BB is a non-factor, and KU will finally pay a price for the putrid FB they've been putting on the field. FB is the goose that lays the golden egg and the Rock-Chalk AAU eggheads from Lawrence never the got the memo. Plus, their BB team has the specter of sanctions still hanging over it.

Honestly, I think the remaining Big 12 members should have already gone out to UCF, Cincy, Memphis, Boise St, Houston, SMU, BYU, and Colorado St to fill out their own 16-team conference and be in second place in the race to have a 16-team league. This would also cut off the B1G, PAC12, and ACC from adding teams from the same population.

But....the Big 12 history is "day late and dollar short," so I suppose they'll stand pat and get picked off one by one.

If B12 dissolves, I see Ok state, ISU, Texas Tech, finding homes because they represent decent FB and they're big schools that can add some value to either B1G, ACC, or PAC12. ISU is also AAU qualified, so they may have an inside track with the B1G.

Baylor and TCU are good but small private schools and they "might" get some play with the ACC....I don't see any other options for them....probably less than 50/50.

WVU...maaaaaaybe the ACC but I doubt it because they're academic bottom-feeders. No one likes going to Morgantown anyway because you find yourself dodging batteries and beer bottles in the stadium and burning couches on roadways on the way out of town.

KSU and KU are twisting in the wind, and they are American Athletic Conference bound IMO....but they'll have those periodic trips to East Carolina to energize their fanbase (sarc off).

GBB!
If I was running the Big12 I'd try this. Invite Houston, Cincy, UCF, and Memphis. Then all 3 service academies and then give ND anything they want to join and keep playing the military. Probably no chance the Domers do it, but I'd make them tell me no.

KSU and KU are twisting in the wind, and they are American Athletic Conference bound IMO....but they'll have those periodic trips to East Carolina to energize their fanbase (sarc off).

GBB!

There is some good options in the remaining Big 12 teams, but would the Big 10 want 2teams in Iowa, would that expand their media footprint to justify a share of Big10 revenue? Kansas or KSU, but I dont think both. If ND thinks they need to join a conference, I think they ditch the ACC and head to the Big10 but 3 Indiana teams? What about the Pac12, they would roll there.

If the Big 12 folds, and with 12 spots in the playoffs open, I the the G5 teams try to form a 5th P5 conference with some of the leftover Big 12 teams. Say TCU, Baylor, Kansas, WVU, I dont think anyone really wants them combined with Houston, Ragin Cajans, Memphis, UCF, BYU, Liberty Cincy, Tulsa, BSU, Coastal Carolina, Southern Miss UFI. I dont know what determines a P5 conference but that is a pretty decent list and at least 1 of them will be in the playoffs give it to them. If you dont they they deserve it schedule all you OOC games against them. Will be a much better win than against an alphabet team.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
NgwZY5N.jpg

I wonder if Nebraska and/or Colorado would consider breaking away and going to the Big XII? Both are kind of lost in their new conferences it seems.

There is some good options in the remaining Big 12 teams, but would the Big 10 want 2teams in Iowa, would that expand their media footprint to justify a share of Big10 revenue? Kansas or KSU, but I dont think both. If ND thinks they need to join a conference, I think they ditch the ACC and head to the Big10 but 3 Indiana teams? What about the Pac12, they would roll there.

If the Big 12 folds, and with 12 spots in the playoffs open, I the the G5 teams try to form a 5th P5 conference with some of the leftover Big 12 teams. Say TCU, Baylor, Kansas, WVU, I dont think anyone really wants them combined with Houston, Ragin Cajans, Memphis, UCF, BYU, Liberty Cincy, Tulsa, BSU, Coastal Carolina, Southern Miss UFI. I dont know what determines a P5 conference but that is a pretty decent list and at least 1 of them will be in the playoffs give it to them. If you dont they they deserve it schedule all you OOC games against them. Will be a much better win than against an alphabet team.

That's what I'm saying. The B1G does nothing for ND. They already play games in South Bend. USC gives them CA. And the ACC gives them the south.

That's what I'm saying. The B1G does nothing for ND. They already play games in South Bend. USC gives them CA. And the ACC gives them the south.
What the ACC gives them is a conference where they can play maybe one good team each year and have an easy path to the playoff.

What the ACC gives them is a conference where they can play maybe one good team each year and have an easy path to the playoff.

We have a good shot this year. But they were definitely a handful for us last year. It was a lot harder to move the ball against them than it was A&M. And we had most of our starters against the Irish. I don't like them. I'd rather not have them in the ACC. But that's their most likely destination if they join a conference.

Last edited:
This article from The Athletic explains why it is unlikely that the remaining 8 schools in the Big XII will have any suitors to the 4 Remaining now P4 Leagues...From Stewart Mandel of The Athletic:

Unfortunately, that $7 million-to-$12 million range does not bode well for the Left-Behind 8’s chances of landing an invitation to one of the other Power 5 conferences. The ACC, Big Ten and Pac-12 are unlikely to invite a school that would drag down its current members’ slice of the conference pie. All three currently make far more than that from media rights.

The more realistic play is for the AAC and Left-Behind 8 to join forces in some capacity. The only question is which league will raid the other. Sources told The Athletic’s Nicole Auerbach that the “Power 6” conference plans to become an aggressor.

Meanwhile, a Big 12 AD lamented to The Athletic’s Bruce Feldman last week that “bringing in a Cincinnati and UCF doesn’t bring any eyeballs.”

Technically, that AD’s not wrong. There’s no evidence to suggest those schools bring in more eyeballs than his. But he may need to come to terms with the reality that his school may soon be held in similar regard.

Last edited:
Reactions: oddis500
Notre Dame is already having a problem scheduling quality opponents. If we see them move to 9 or 10 conference games and a consolidation of major conferences Notre Dame will have to make a decision about joining a conference at that point. It’s either that or they basically start playing a group of 5 schedule.

At minimum, my guess is that the days of any team in the SEC playing Notre Dame in the regular season are over as soon as OU and Texas join. At that point the SEC will move to at least a 9 game conference schedule and there is absolutely no incentive to add the Irish to the schedule.

Reactions: ok-cats-computer
This article from The Athletic explains why it is unlikely that the remaining 8 schools in the Big XII will have any suitors to the 4 Remaining now P4 Leagues...From Stewart Mandel of The Athletic:

Unfortunately, that $7 million-to-$12 million range does not bode well for the Left-Behind 8’s chances of landing an invitation to one of the other Power 5 conferences. The ACC, Big Ten and Pac-12 are unlikely to invite a school that would drag down its current members’ slice of the conference pie. All three currently make far more than that from media rights.

The more realistic play is for the AAC and Left-Behind 8 to join forces in some capacity. The only question is which league will raid the other. Sources told The Athletic’s Nicole Auerbach that the “Power 6” conference plans to become an aggressor.

Meanwhile, a Big 12 AD lamented to The Athletic’s Bruce Feldman last week that “bringing in a Cincinnati and UCF doesn’t bring any eyeballs.”

Technically, that AD’s not wrong. There’s no evidence to suggest those schools bring in more eyeballs than his. But he may need to come to terms with the reality that his school may soon be held in similar regard.

The last like says it all: schools like Kansas and Texas Tech have looked down their noses at schools like Cincy, Memphis, and UCF for years, when the reality is ALL of those teams are better programs and markets, and have been doing it with a very unfair playing field.

Given similar resources, those schools will out-recruit and out draw most of the teams left in the Big 12. The AAC very well may poach a few of the leftovers and end up the better conference.

Reactions: KT34
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT