ADVERTISEMENT

Comparing Nick Richards to Willie Cauley-Stein

DerekMcPwn

Senior
Sep 13, 2016
Louisville, KY
Nick Richards’ physical profile and basketball inexperience compare closely to Willie Cauley-Stein - another raw, project player with jaw-dropping athletic capabilities. I’ll start by breaking down their measurements and freshman per 40 stats; the superior of the two will appear in bold.

Nick Richards

Height w/ shoes: 7’0.25”
Wingspan: 7’5”
Weight: 245 lbs

Vertical: 35.5”
Body fat: 7.11%

Minutes per game: 14.7
Rebounds: 12.1
Blocks: 2.4
Fouls: 5.6
Turnovers: 1.9
FG%: 61.6
FT%: 71.8
PER: 19.9

Willie Cauley-Stein

Height w/ shoes: 7’0.5”
Wingspan: 7’3”
Weight: 242
Vertical: 37”
Body fat: 6.3%

Minutes per game: 23.6

Rebounds: 10.5
Blocks: 3.5
Fouls: 4.1

Turnovers: 2.8
FG%: 62.1
FT%: 37.2
PER: 22.1

A stat comparison suggests that these are very similar players. I didn’t include standing reach, because I found several different results, but the average suggests these guys are identical in that metric. I suspect Richards has the better upper body, having dramatically topped the team for bench press.

One striking difference is free throw percentage. Nick’s is excellent for a center, while Willie’s is atrocious.

It isn’t a surprise to anyone who watched the season, but I suspect the biggest difference between these players, and Nick’s greatest impediment, arises from their unique intangibles. Although both players were relatively new to basketball when they arrived at Kentucky, WCS had significant experience as a wide receiver, a position where hand-eye coordination and hand strength are critical. Unsurprisingly, Willie was an excellent lob target from the first day. He had no shooting touch, but he could finish a dunk. Nick’s athletic backgrounds were soccer, track, and volleyball. His hand strength and hand-eye coordination are understandably behind.

I suspect that Richards will follow a trajectory similar to Cauley-Stein’s. We should anticipate that he will lag slightly behind Willie’s developmental arc. However, Nick may have the higher ceiling of the two players, having already demonstrated a solid free throw stroke and jump shooting capability at mid-range. If we are lucky, Richards will commit to a three or four-year career at Kentucky, and we will see him realize his immense potential.

I like Nick, think he could really be a good player. In spite of your statistical analysis, can you really ever see him as the type of mobile 7 footer who can step out on the perimeter and lock down a wing or a guard? National Defensive Player of the Year? First Team All- American? I don’t.

We have to be careful thinking we know everything about a player based on a freshman season. As a freshman, Frank Mason averaged 6 points, 1 rebound, and 2 assists. As a senior, he averaged 21 points, 4 rebounds, and 5 assists, and was the National Player of the Year. Between years one and four, his PER doubled from 12.6 to 25.5.

I’m not saying Nick Richards will perform a similar feat, but he has only been playing basketball since he was 15. He was thrown into a league of adults who have been playing since they could walk. It’s probably best to reserve judgment on a player that raw.

I think everyone would. I think Willie was benefited by going up against Nerlens in practice his freshman year. Nick didn't have a sparring partner of that quality.

YES! I am so glad you mentioned that, I meant to include it in my intangibles section. If we had gotten Mo Bamba this past cycle, it would have been huge for Nick. WCS benefitted from sharing the team with an elite version of himself. He never had to get creative, just emulate Nerlens Noel.

I never thought of WCS as being a great player... or even a good player. He was serviceable. I hope Richards is 2x the player that WCS was.

Reactions: UKGrad93
Nick Richards’ physical profile and basketball inexperience compare closely to Willie Cauley-Stein - another raw, project player with jaw-dropping athletic capabilities. I’ll start by breaking down their measurements and freshman per 40 stats; the superior of the two will appear in bold.

Nick Richards

Willie Cauley-Stein

A stat comparison suggests that these are very similar players. I didn’t include standing reach, because I found several different results, but the average suggests these guys are identical in that metric. I suspect Richards has the better upper body, having dramatically topped the team for bench press.

One striking difference is free throw percentage. Nick’s is excellent for a center, while Willie’s is atrocious.

It isn’t a surprise to anyone who watched the season, but I suspect the biggest difference between these players, and Nick’s greatest impediment, arises from their unique intangibles. Although both players were relatively new to basketball when they arrived at Kentucky, WCS had significant experience as a wide receiver, a position where hand-eye coordination and hand strength are critical. Unsurprisingly, Willie was an excellent lob target from the first day. He had no shooting touch, but he could finish a dunk. Nick’s athletic backgrounds were soccer, track, and volleyball. His hand strength and hand-eye coordination are understandably behind.

I suspect that Richards will follow a trajectory similar to Cauley-Stein’s. We should anticipate that he will lag slightly behind Willie’s developmental arc. However, Nick may have the higher ceiling of the two players, having already demonstrated a solid free throw stroke and jump shooting capability at mid-range. If we are lucky, Richards will commit to a three or four-year career at Kentucky, and we will see him realize his immense potential.

That free-throw percentage on WCS can't be correct? ;) (Did we transpose?)

(+ 61% his final UK season)

Last edited:
I like Nick, think he could really be a good player. In spite of your statistical analysis, can you really ever see him as the type of mobile 7 footer who can step out on the perimeter and lock down a wing or a guard? National Defensive Player of the Year? First Team All- American? I don’t.

Defensively not many players were as good as Willie, being a great athlete like the OP said helped him a lot in that area. Offensively if Nick stays, he will be better in that area it looks like. I hope he stays 3 years, he might surprise us all.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Defensively not many players were as good as Willie, being a great athlete like the OP said helped him a lot in that area. Offensively if Nick stays, he will be better in that area it looks like. I hope he stays 3 years, he might surprise us all.

A seven footer staying three years at UK....one can hope... Is Woo back?

I guess when I watched WCS I saw a well above average athlete the vast majority of games at UK. WCS was quick leaper, could switch on guards in pick and rolls very well by moving his feet, and his obvious height was what made him a top pick in NBA draft. He was solely drafted to be a defensive dynamo in NBA (i.e. Tyson Chandler, etc..).

When I watch Nick...I simply don't see a plus athlete for a big man. His feet aren't quick, his reaction to block shots is a beat slow, etc... Some of this may be due to lower B-ball IQ which should improve over time.

I struggle to see Nick ever being a defensive dynamite that I saw in WCS.

Nick Richards

Willie Cauley-Stein

How are the points & rebs per game figured? It looks like they're figured on 40 mins since neither averaged a double/double their freshman year. Are the other stats per game or per 40 mins.

Either way, I like your research. (Just curious what I'm reading.) I've always thought Richards has a very high ceiling for the very reason you pointed out. His FT% indicates he has good shooting ability. I suspect he'll get more mid-range shots. Cal knows the new big men (Wiseman, etc ...) want to develop more game facing up because of the NBA game.

WCS once talked about the time he really felt like he belonged at UK and his confidence went through the room. His game followed his confidence and preparation.

Richards needs the same level of confidence boost. He belongs at UK and has all the physical skills needed to dominate. I'm hoping the mental side of it 'turns on' for him. Everything else will follow.

I guess when I watched WCS I saw a well above average athlete the vast majority of games at UK. WCS was quick leaper, could switch on guards in pick and rolls very well by moving his feet, and his obvious height was what made him a top pick in NBA draft. He was solely drafted to be a defensive dynamo in NBA (i.e. Tyson Chandler, etc..).

When I watch Nick...I simply don't see a plus athlete for a big man. His feet aren't quick, his reaction to block shots is a beat slow, etc... Some of this may be due to lower B-ball IQ which should improve over time.

I struggle to see Nick ever being a defensive dynamite that I saw in WCS.

Like I said few will ever be a defensive athlete like Willie, our hope needs to be that Nick can become an offensive threat and great rebounder.

Reactions: K_TIME
I think, the initial statistic suggest that Nick Richards has better room for growth than WCS.

WCS's offensive game was non existent...and that's one of the reason why statistically, he made no progress through the years, except free throw percentage. As WCS tried to expand his offensive game, it only impacted his overall FG down. His overall efficiency remained the same.

The fundamental difference between WCS and NR is mostly on the offensive end. NR can make shots, and that's why his ability to expand his game will most likely more noticeable. He shot FT at 71.6% as a freshman. WCS never reached that heigh in FT, and that's why he never were able to dominate on the offensive end.

Also, WCS never had Fort Wayne moment as a freshman or sophomore or Junior, because his offensive game is not good at all comparatively.

I think NR will become better than WCS, IF he stays 3 years. Polish is the major key for NR. He just lacks it, but he has everything to grow from.

Reactions: JASUN74
Big Willie was better for us but Nick seems to have better offensive touch considering he hasn't played for very long.

Nick certainly has the right attitude.:okay:
This gets me excited. He really does have all the tools to be a great Player. I remember years ago at commonwealth, I saw Riddick and Camara and I was so surprised at how small they were. Nither one of those guys looked over 200lbs. I’ve always worked out but it looked like my wrist was as big as their biceps. Lol. Anyway Richards is almost 250 and just a big guy with a good SEC upper body. As his confidence gets better and better he’s going to be hard to stop. Sorry for the long post but I really am happy to have a second season of Nick Richards.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Great post, OP, thanks for all your research. I would agree with others that WCS was ahead of where Richards was in his freshman season but I'm hoping he has put in a lot of work during off season and matures as a player while gaining more confidence in his game. If so, we all could be in for a nice surprise.

Reactions: DerekMcPwn
How are the points & rebs per game figured? It looks like they're figured on 40 mins since neither averaged a double/double their freshman year. Are the other stats per game or per 40 mins.

Either way, I like your research. (Just curious what I'm reading.) I've always thought Richards has a very high ceiling for the very reason you pointed out. His FT% indicates he has good shooting ability. I suspect he'll get more mid-range shots. Cal knows the new big men (Wiseman, etc ...) want to develop more game facing up because of the NBA game.

WCS once talked about the time he really felt like he belonged at UK and his confidence went through the room. His game followed his confidence and preparation.

Richards needs the same level of confidence boost. He belongs at UK and has all the physical skills needed to dominate. I'm hoping the mental side of it 'turns on' for him. Everything else will follow.

Everything that can be adjusted is a per 40 minute stat (points, rebounds, fouls, etc.). Obviously, there are several stats that cannot be adjusted like FG%, PER, and minutes per game, which are presented raw.

Reactions: bballcat4
Serviceable? First Team All-American? National Defensive POY?

Yep, decent defensive guy and lacked the offensive and rebounding you would think from a 7' guy with unreal athleticsm. Only averaged around 8 points and 6 rebounds and a Blk or 2 a game. Shoot if I remember right his stats didn't change much except maybe his shooting improved but like Briscoe all you could do was go up. Also couldn't play real long because he didn't have enough air. Cal called him out on this several times.

If he was at another school and had those numbers as a junior you guys would say he sucked and sucked bad.

In my honest assessment he was serviceable. We've had much better at center.

I mean everyone was criticizing Richards but if you look at his stats it was pretty much right in line with WCS. If I'm picking between Towns and WCS I'm going with Towns all day long and twice on Sunday. And towns wasn't a first team all American.

Against Wisconsin when he had to go up against another good big he got abused. He played 33 minutes and had 2 points 5 rebounds. The game before that against ND he had to go up against another decent big In Augustine?? Got abused again and WCS had 6 points 4 rebounds in 33 minutes.

Hardly first team stats but hey I'll take the accolades even if he didn't deserve it.

Reactions: crestcat
Yep, decent defensive guy and lacked the offensive and rebounding you would think from a 7' guy with unreal athleticsm. Only averaged around 8 points and 6 rebounds and a Blk or 2 a game. Shoot if I remember right his stats didn't change much except maybe his shooting improved but like Briscoe all you could do was go up. Also couldn't play real long because he didn't have enough air. Cal called him out on this several times.

If he was at another school and had those numbers as a junior you guys would say he sucked and sucked bad.

In my honest assessment he was serviceable. We've had much better at center.

I mean everyone was criticizing Richards but if you look at his stats it was pretty much right in line with WCS. If I'm picking between Towns and WCS I'm going with Towns all day long and twice on Sunday. And towns wasn't a first team all American.

Against Wisconsin when he had to go up against another good big he got abused. He played 33 minutes and had 2 points 5 rebounds. The game before that against ND he had to go up against another decent big In Augustine?? Got abused again and WCS had 6 points 4 rebounds in 33 minutes.

Hardly first team stats but hey I'll take the accolades even if he didn't deserve it.
This is so far beyond clueless I don't even know what to call it.

The 14-15 UK team was one of the greatest defensive teams in college basketball history. WCS was, easily, the best individual defender on that team.

He probably didn't deserve 1st team AA (KAT was more deserving of that), but what you just typed is a ludicrous short-sell of what he was as a player.

If he had the kind of jump wcs had after his freshman yr good things are sure to come. Richards is a good player and will only get better. I think having ej will make him even better this yr. I would love to have Richards 3 years which could very well be possible unless he makes a giant impact this yr and we win the title

Stein was cat quick. He was also very fast off the floor. Would love to see Richards develop like that, but Steins quickness will be exceedingly difficult to match.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Personally, I am paying very, very little attention to the statistics between the two young men. Rather, I simply look at the edge that WCS starting playing with around halfway through his second season, which was on full display his junior season. For an overwhelming majority of his junior season, WCS was offended when a player scored on him. Furthermore, he brought a Magloire-style no-nonsense attitude, which was certainly missing from last season. I know many will say he was lackadaisical in the Wiscy game, which I don't personally disagree with, but without him, UK never has a chance at an undefeated season.

Reactions: STL_Cat
I never thought of WCS as being a great player... or even a good player. He was serviceable. I hope Richards is 2x the player that WCS was.
WCS was the 6th overall draft pick in the 2015 NBA Draft and your evaluation of him graded out as “not very good” and “serviceable”? No offense but that’s undoubtedly the most ignorant statement ever made in the history of Rupp Rafters.

I will conveniently point toward the video in your signature. I don' know if Richards will be making plays like that...ever. That said, he doesn't have to. If he can rebound at a decent clip, hold his ground on defense and even block a few per game along with making a handful of layups per game he will be a great player for us. I feel strongly he can do at least those things. I think we are going to be pleasantly surprised by his progress over the summer. I am excited to see this group on the floor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT