ADVERTISEMENT

Comparing Nick Richards to Willie Cauley-Stein

Nick Richards’ physical profile and basketball inexperience compare closely to Willie Cauley-Stein - another raw, project player with jaw-dropping athletic capabilities. I’ll start by breaking down their measurements and freshman per 40 stats; the superior of the two will appear in bold.

Nick Richards

Height w/ shoes: 7’0.25”
Wingspan: 7’5”
Weight: 245 lbs

Vertical: 35.5”
Body fat: 7.11%

Minutes per game: 14.7
Rebounds: 12.1
Blocks: 2.4
Fouls: 5.6
Turnovers: 1.9
FG%: 61.6
FT%: 71.8
PER: 19.9

Willie Cauley-Stein

Height w/ shoes: 7’0.5”
Wingspan: 7’3”
Weight: 242
Vertical: 37”
Body fat: 6.3%

Minutes per game: 23.6

Rebounds: 10.5
Blocks: 3.5
Fouls: 4.1

Turnovers: 2.8
FG%: 62.1
FT%: 37.2
PER: 22.1

A stat comparison suggests that these are very similar players. I didn’t include standing reach, because I found several different results, but the average suggests these guys are identical in that metric. I suspect Richards has the better upper body, having dramatically topped the team for bench press.

One striking difference is free throw percentage. Nick’s is excellent for a center, while Willie’s is atrocious.

It isn’t a surprise to anyone who watched the season, but I suspect the biggest difference between these players, and Nick’s greatest impediment, arises from their unique intangibles. Although both players were relatively new to basketball when they arrived at Kentucky, WCS had significant experience as a wide receiver, a position where hand-eye coordination and hand strength are critical. Unsurprisingly, Willie was an excellent lob target from the first day. He had no shooting touch, but he could finish a dunk. Nick’s athletic backgrounds were soccer, track, and volleyball. His hand strength and hand-eye coordination are understandably behind.

I suspect that Richards will follow a trajectory similar to Cauley-Stein’s. We should anticipate that he will lag slightly behind Willie’s developmental arc. However, Nick may have the higher ceiling of the two players, having already demonstrated a solid free throw stroke and jump shooting capability at mid-range. If we are lucky, Richards will commit to a three or four-year career at Kentucky, and we will see him realize his immense potential.
Great analysis!

As others have stated, don't think Nick can have the defensive impact in Cal's switching defense that Willie did. Willie had amazing lateral quickness, anticipated well and played defense with his feet first.
True, but then you could distinguish WCS from just about any 7 footer that ever played the game on those grounds. His ability to switch on a screen up top and guard, straight up, the other team's 1, say, well, we may never see that again.

Still, Richards gives you something no one else on this team does, and that is a prototypical rim protector. He's just build that way, the length, the ability to get off the floor pretty quickly. The only other possibility is EJ, and he is not built that way. All of Cal's best teams seem to have the guy who is made like this........

Well, maybe not. I'm talking myself out of that point. Cousins is really closer to EJ than he is Richards. 2011 made the final four with Josh. 2017 was a very very good team, with Bam in the middle. So there are exceptions, but I think Cal certainly favors having one like Richards. Question is, how many minutes can he give......

True, but then you could distinguish WCS from just about any 7 footer that ever played the game on those grounds. His ability to switch on a screen up top and guard, straight up, the other team's 1, say, well, we may never see that again.

Still, Richards gives you something no one else on this team does, and that is a prototypical rim protector. He's just build that way, the length, the ability to get off the floor pretty quickly. The only other possibility is EJ, and he is not built that way. All of Cal's best teams seem to have the guy who is made like this........

Well, maybe not. I'm talking myself out of that point. Cousins is really closer to EJ than he is Richards. 2011 made the final four with Josh. 2017 was a very very good team, with Bam in the middle. So there are exceptions, but I think Cal certainly favors having one like Richards. Question is, how many minutes can he give......

The rest of Richards’ profile tells me he should be playing until he fouls out in every game, especially when the opponent doesn’t shoot free throws well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT