ADVERTISEMENT

Companies who don't pay benefits up front each year

NociHTTP

Senior
Mar 8, 2023
Anyone else work at a company that says "you only get your vacation days when they're accrued each month"? We only get 12 paid vacation days per year. Our company just went to this plan.

They also increased shift differential for 2nd and 3rd shift, but have not given raises (except to sups and upper management) in a year and a half to any shift, with no raise in the foreseeable future.

I really don't like this company I've been a part of for over 5 years. My husband has been there for 3 years. Both of us are area team leads. But I don't know ify work situation with pay and benefits is as bad as I think it is.

What are others' thoughts on this here?

Reactions: drew_ukfan
Called PTO (paid time off) where I work. First 5 years you got 10 days (not counting major holidays) with 1 day given every year after till it maxes out at 20. Those are to be used for both vacation and sick days. When they run put you aren't paid for days missed.

I get 4 weeks PTO plus 13 paid holidays and three floating holidays. I can go in the hole up to 80 hours or two full working weeks.

And I never have an issue using every, single, one of my days off!

I hated when past companies made you accrue before use. That always meant LONG MONTHS from Jan - May before I could take any time off!

What I hate about mine is I'm at a carryforward amount and I have to use them every month or else I lose them. So like I can't bank mine in case I want to take a vacation later in the year.

Conversely, this allows me to take off every other Friday which I quite enjoy lol.

Reactions: TheDude73
What I hate about mine is I'm at a carryforward amount and I have to use them every month or else I lose them. So like I can't bank mine in case I want to take a vacation later in the year.

Conversely, this allows me to take off every other Friday which I quite enjoy lol.
Yes, at my place any that are not used by Dec 31st. There is no carryover.

@LineSkiCat14, sadly it's just 12 (8 hour days) per year.

@L.O.D. we get 5 sick days per year. After that's used up, if you miss any more time it's not paid AND you are given an attendance "occurrence".

@PeweeCat Boo Bee Hoo FIFY, hope your day is well.

Anyone else work at a company that says "you only get your vacation days when they're accrued each month"? We only get 12 paid vacation days per year. Our company just went to this plan.

They also increased shift differential for 2nd and 3rd shift, but have not given raises (except to sups and upper management) in a year and a half to any shift, with no raise in the foreseeable future.

I really don't like this company I've been a part of for over 5 years. My husband has been there for 3 years. Both of us are area team leads. But I don't know ify work situation with pay and benefits is as bad as I think it is.

As if complaining about Cal isn’t enough, now you bring your workplace gripes to the board.

Honestly a week of PTO is worth $5k. Maybe even $10k. And not just in your hourly salary or anything.. just in what that week off is worth from a mental and physical standpoint. Even if it's just staying home and taking a break.

Idk, I'd find another line of work (edit, rather a different employer)

I'm at 25 days of PTO. 13 holidays. It doesn't get paid out when I leave, but I can carry 160 hours over (or 4 weeks) into the following year. So during covid and when I was WFH, I never took PTO and saved it all up. Now every year I go in with 9 weeks of pto just in case I need it. This year I used a ton of it for child care for my 1st born. Saved a ton on day care.

Last edited:
I work for our county government.

Think we get 13 or 14 paid holidays. I get 14.5 hrs PTO per month. 35 hours a week is FT, but I work 40, and the extra 5 can be paid or put to PTO. I think mine figures out to 4.5ish weeks vacation, plus holidays.

Health insurance is pretty good, but vision and dental pretty much sucks.

I got unlimited PTO. I take 4 weeks and then they had given us 12 YOU days as well but took those away. Our department is doing them anyways though and just logging pto

Reactions: NociHTTP
Yes, at my place any that are not used by Dec 31st. There is no carryover.

@LineSkiCat14, sadly it's just 12 (8 hour days) per year.

@L.O.D. we get 5 sick days per year. After that's used up, if you miss any more time it's not paid AND you are given an attendance "occurrence".

@PeweeCat Boo Bee Hoo FIFY, hope your day is well.
Wow no carryover? I think we can carry over up to 80 hours (2 weeks) and anything above that is use it or lose it. I've never had any problems using all of my days. Already have 3 weeks planned in summer, one is my annual return to Kentucky for R&R with the fam.

Lol, putting a lot of effort into this charade.

As if complaining about Cal isn’t enough, now you bring your workplace gripes to the board.
Trust me, I don't complain about Cal enough. I support most of those complaints. I need to live up to my reputation, you're a great motivator.

Reactions: MbergCat
Before it's locked

8/hrs every 2 weeks

Can accrue up to 300 hours
Rolls over year to year

I get 120 vacation plus the week between Christmas and new years, and all the federal
holidays. About 2.5 weeks of sick time. It all accrues with each pay period, in small chunks.

But after COVID I only have to come in twice a week, so I’ve got the reverse weekend thing going on basically.

Your employer is a jerk, find a new one.

Companies are continuing to mess with benefits. You sound like you are in a tough spot though. My company (large tech) sent out a survey early this year which was being driven by a large consulting firm. It was sort of "do you prefer this + this or that + that".

Things like unlimited vacation are a ploy businesses are offering to attract people but it is a really a way for businesses to save money. Unlimited vacation will never get used and there are studies that show people will use less when they have that option. On top of that, the company isn't responsible to pay out PTO days when the employee quits or is fired if there is unlimited PTO.

Back to your original question, my company offers vacation accrual as well. We earn so many hours per week...I get 5 weeks PTO and am eligible to carry 40 hours over from previous year. So generally isn't an issue for me....they will also front you the PTO if you are short...if you leave the company before you've accrued those hours back they just come out of final paycheck. I've not taken a sick day in 7 years. If I did, it wouldn't matter as I am salary...unless of course it turned into FMLA or something.

I cannot complain about my company from benefits perspective at all. We get raises annually...5.5% this year (that is on high side)....but I literally did two jobs for 7 months prior to promotion last month. Also got parental leave for two of my kids...4 weeks. Insurance is great. Work is a headache but that comes with the territory.

They have never addressed inflation but no one has really.

Last edited:

Sounds like you need a Union.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
Honestly a week of PTO is worth $5k. Maybe even $10k. And not just in your hourly salary or anything.. just in what that week off is worth from a mental and physical standpoint. Even if it's just staying home and taking a break.

Idk, I'd find another line of work (edit, rather a different employer)

I'm at 25 days of PTO. 13 holidays. It doesn't get paid out when I leave, but I can carry 160 hours over (or 4 weeks) into the following year. So during covid and when I was WFH, I never took PTO and saved it all up. Now every year I go in with 9 weeks of pto just in case I need it. This year I used a ton of it for child care for my 1st born. Saved a ton on day care.

Brother that is awesome....the carryover...we had that when I first started but they nixed it about 5 years ago. Still can carry over a full week so not that bad.

We generally take two legit weeks per year of vacation...about 12 working days. I wrap the rest of mine around holidays off, kids spring break and Christmas, etc. Occasional Monday or Fridays off to golf.

We also used to have early release Fridays for two years and they canceled that this year. Was off at 3p every Friday. Now it is every Friday, 3p off Memorial Day through Labor Day...so that is kinda nice. I work from home though so you know how that goes.

I get 24 days of PTO per year that accrue at 2 per month. You can carry a balance up to 56 days. If you work here long enough, you will accrue that and get paid out 56 days when you leave.

Also get 5 use it or lose it PTO days during the year as part of an IL state law. So technically 29 days a year of PTO that you accrue.

A nice paid holiday schedule too with 4 floating holidays.

Before they stopped giving out raises a year and a half ago, we were getting 1-5% every six months or so. It was based on your reviews. Because 5% was almost never given to anyone but a company favorite or upper management, mine was 4%. That's not embellishment, but it's honestly not much of an increase, either. My email today was because the regional (eastern United States) called everyone from the warehouse and offices to the floor for the meeting. At some point after he blabbered on about the doing away with "PTO" and going to accrued, he asked "does anyone here know why this is happening?". I knew, and he says "why don't you enlighten us". He is unable to hold a conversation with just about anyone he meets. I stood my ground, and jaws dropped. I told him "No, I'm not going to enlighten you, you already know why you're holding the meeting, I'll pass". He then asks "oh, you'll pass?". "Yes, I'll pass".

Why should I be the bad guy? But, yeah, I'm either either naive and forgiving, or incredibly insecure about the"what ifs" that come with the change of a new job and new direction. But, I feel we all have a breaking point.

Before they stopped giving out raises a year and a half ago, we were getting 1-5% every six months or so. It was based on your reviews. Because 5% was almost never given to anyone but a company favorite or upper management, mine was 4%. That's not embellishment, but it's honestly not much of an increase, either. My email today was because the regional (eastern United States) called everyone from the warehouse and offices to the floor for the meeting. At some point after he blabbered on about the doing away with "PTO" and going to accrued, he asked "does anyone here know why this is happening?". I knew, and he says "why don't you enlighten us". He is unable to hold a conversation with just about anyone he meets. I stood my ground, and jaws dropped. I told him "No, I'm not going to enlighten you, you already know why you're holding the meeting, I'll pass". He then asks "oh, you'll pass?". "Yes, I'll pass".

Why should I be the bad guy? But, yeah, I'm either either naive and forgiving, or incredibly insecure about the"what ifs" that come with the change of a new job and new direction. But, I feel we all have a breaking point.
I don’t mind the accrued time, but only getting 12 days makes it very difficult for you to accrue anything.

50 hours advanced (number goes up pretty quickly with time in service) at the beginning of each year, accrued sick leave and 11 holidays. 520 maximum from rollover. Only been in this position about a year.

This country was built on 2 weeks paid vacation and 5 or 6 major holidays. Covid totally ruined the work ethic of America. This isn’t directed at you but a general observation from a 69 year old retiree.

Brother that is awesome....the carryover...we had that when I first started but they nixed it about 5 years ago. Still can carry over a full week so not that bad.

We generally take two legit weeks per year of vacation...about 12 working days. I wrap the rest of mine around holidays off, kids spring break and Christmas, etc. Occasional Monday or Fridays off to golf.

We also used to have early release Fridays for two years and they canceled that this year. Was off at 3p every Friday. Now it is every Friday, 3p off Memorial Day through Labor Day...so that is kinda nice. I work from home though so you know how that goes.

It's a pretty amazing company to work for. We're WFH fully now, and even before COVID we were already partially remote. I forget that we also get half days on Friday's before all of the holidays. Pay is solid, not quite leading the way for my sector and location, but close enough for me,

The carryover is sweet. When you're WFH, there's no reason to ever take sick time, unless you are REALLY sick. And even on days where I might cut out early on a Friday, I just do some work over the weekend.

The 3pm release EVERY friday? That's a sweet deal.

I can't say this enough, it's not always about the money. If you can find one of these companies that values work/life balance, hold onto it. I've told many people "It would take a 30% raise to make me even think of going to a company that's back in the office".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT