ADVERTISEMENT

Comfort food recipes ?

1 lb ground beef, 1 lb ground venison, 2 eggs, about a cup of water, - box of stove top stuffing. Mix it up. Put in meatloaf pan and put your favorite sauce on top. Bake for about an hour at 350. Never fail meat loaf just like you asked

bag of navy beans, a couple of ham hocks, a chopped up onion, salt, and pepper. Put all of that in crockpot, covered with water, for about 8 hours on low.
If I may add corn bread recipe to this fabulous bean soup
2 packs jiffy, 1 egg, 1 can creamed corn, 1/2 stick of butter, big dollop of sour cream and a tablespoon of sugar. Bake in pan or muffins at 375 for 20-30

of course you can. Cornbread would definitely improve it. I just never make it

my grandma always made cornbread that was buttery and sweet and I loved it. My grandpa said it wasn't really cornbread if it was buttery and sweet.

Reactions: augustaky1
My Mex Cbread
3 eggs
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup milk
2 green pepper chopped
1 lb sausage cooked separate-drained-don’t rinse
1 3/4 cup self rising corn meal
1 3/4 cup fine shredded cheddar cheese
1 small can cream corn
Mrs Dash sprinkled in like you’d pepper something

mix everything together except the sausage. Cook it separately n drain but don’t rinse. Blend in the sausage n I use old ear corn molds. Cook at 375-400 for 25-30 mins. Results in no heartburn n taste great. If you want it hotter use jalapeños and/or hot sausage.

Last edited:
Take a cast arn (iron) skillet and add a generous portion of bacon grease. Preheat on medium heat.

Add and sautee/sear....

* Diced onion
* Diced red bell pepper
* Corn (fresh if possible)
* Finely chopped chipotle chilies (add a couple of tbsp of Adobo sauce)
* Season to taste w/chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, salt & pepper

* Add 1 cup heavy cream
* Stir in shredded cheese of choice.

In another skillet....

* Fry up chorizo

* Add to and mix with the corn/peppers/onion

* Top with a generous portion of shredded cheese of choice

* Put under the broiler to melt cheese.

It’s comfort food to me because it reminds me of what my mom used to make.

Brown 1/2 pound of ground beef. Set aside.
Brown about 3/4 box of rotini, in butter.
Add 2 cans of Campbell’s beef broth and 1 can of water.
Add some diced onion (or dried) and Fines Herbes
Bring to boil, covered, as the rotini cooks. About 10 minutes.
Drop the ground beef in there with a couple minutes to go.

Mom always called it Iron Skillet Supper because it was based on this, which they stopped making in the early 80s. She found a recipe and recreated it to fit what I liked.

Nothing fancy, but good, warm, easy food.

Delmonico_Pasta_Dinner.jpg

You guys probably know but when I do chili I use 1/2 sausage. You can spice it too by adding hot or spicy sausage

if you want a quick fudge recipe give me a shout

No chicken dumplings? What kind of thread is this.

Like going to a PA Dutch restaurant in Florida , they are famous for their chicken but don't do dumplings. 😩

1 lb ground beef, 1 lb ground venison, 2 eggs, about a cup of water, - box of stove top stuffing. Mix it up. Put in meatloaf pan and put your favorite sauce on top. Bake for about an hour at 350. Never fail meat loaf just like you asked

That sounds really damn good!

Mac and Cheese has to be on any comfort food list. This copycat version from J. Alexander's is a good one. I substitute panko bread crumbs instead of regular to be closer to the restaurant version.

No chicken dumplings? What kind of thread is this.

Like going to a PA Dutch restaurant in Florida , they are famous for their chicken but don't do dumplings. 😩
My mom still makes chicken and dumplings @ once a month and they are out of this world good.

I'm no cook, but I've made/attempted to make them, half a dozen times over the years with mixed results, lol. The chicken is easy, of course; it's the dumplings that are difficult for someone who isn't in the kitchen regularly like myself. They're "drop" dumplings, btw, NOT the "easy", rolled and cut out from dough type.

Anyway, here's how she makes them:

The key, she says, is buy the fattest chicken you can find at your grocer. I even buy a pack of chicken thighs along with the whole chicken to get the extra fat, and of course meat.

In a big pot boil your chicken until tender, adding salt to taste. When it's done take the chicken out, set aside to cool. Once it's cool enough to work with, remove all the meat from the bones and set aside. Add a can or two of chicken broth to the water if you wish and bring it to a boil when you're ready to drop the dumplings.

Dough: in a large bowl combine flour with Crisco shortening and just enough milk to coat the flour. She uses a fork to combine all three, btw. You want the mixture to be "sticky", not too thick or runny. Too thick? Add a little more milk. Too thin? Add a little more flour.

Bring the water you cooked the chicken in, and broth, to a full boil. Take a spoon and "drop" @ a tablespoon at a time into the boiling water. They're done in minutes so keep a watch on them.

Like I said, I've made them about six times with mixed results. Three times they turned out fabulous, the other times, not so much. My mistakes early on while learning were either I put too much Crisco in the mix, ( which causes the dumplings to just melt away, which is the most common error until one has made these many times), or trying to make too many dumplings becase they're just so damn good. If you make too many, it will cause them to not have much flavor.

The first time I made them and they turned out just like my mom's, I was on top of the world, lol. However, I had some friends show up and between us they were gone in no time.

I've had them several different ways, but drop dumplings, if made right, are far and away the very best.

Great, it's snowing and the roads are slick, but I'm now tempted to make the one mile trip to Meijer for some chicken so I can make myself and my son some. :) ( Got a bunch of holidays I've saved so I took the next 10 days off.)

Chicken and dumplings....it's what's for dinner.

I've gotten a lot of easy recipes off Google's "Suggested reads" when I open up a browser tab. This week I made really good Goulash and it hit all the marks:

Cheap meal
Easy to make
Less than an hour to make
perfect comfort/WINTER(!) food
Makes good deal of leftovers
Only needs one pot.

Reactions: Punkin Puss
My mom still makes chicken and dumplings @ once a month and they are out of this world good.

I'm no cook, but I've made/attempted to make them, half a dozen times over the years with mixed results, lol. The chicken is easy, of course; it's the dumplings that are difficult for someone who isn't in the kitchen regularly like myself. They're "drop" dumplings, btw, NOT the "easy", rolled and cut out from dough type.

Anyway, here's how she makes them:

The key, she says, is buy the fattest chicken you can find at your grocer. I even buy a pack of chicken thighs along with the whole chicken to get the extra fat, and of course meat.

In a big pot boil your chicken until tender, adding salt to taste. When it's done take the chicken out, set aside to cool. Once it's cool enough to work with, remove all the meat from the bones and set aside. Add a can or two of chicken broth to the water if you wish and bring it to a boil when you're ready to drop the dumplings.

Dough: in a large bowl combine flour with Crisco shortening and just enough milk to coat the flour. She uses a fork to combine all three, btw. You want the mixture to be "sticky", not too thick or runny. Too thick? Add a little more milk. Too thin? Add a little more flour.

Bring the water you cooked the chicken in, and broth, to a full boil. Take a spoon and "drop" @ a tablespoon at a time into the boiling water. They're done in minutes so keep a watch on them.

Like I said, I've made them about six times with mixed results. Three times they turned out fabulous, the other times, not so much. My mistakes early on while learning were either I put too much Crisco in the mix, ( which causes the dumplings to just melt away, which is the most common error until one has made these many times), or trying to make too many dumplings becase they're just so damn good. If you make too many, it will cause them to not have much flavor.

The first time I made them and they turned out just like my mom's, I was on top of the world, lol. However, I had some friends show up and between us they were gone in no time.

I've had them several different ways, but drop dumplings, if made right, are far and away the very best.

Great, it's snowing and the roads are slick, but I'm now tempted to make the one mile trip to Meijer for some chicken so I can make myself and my son some. :) ( Got a bunch of holidays I've saved so I took the next 10 days off.)

Chicken and dumplings....it's what's for dinner.

Awesome, drop dumplings really make the difference. Hard to find anyone that still does it instead of the rolled out strips of dough,

Got some butterfly lamb shank from Aldi. Made a lamb and beef stew this past weekend with red potatoes, Yum.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
I'm far from a cook, but I make Potato Soup that is pretty close to what they serve at The Apple Barn in Sevierville Tennessee, which I love.

1. 7-8 large potatoes chopped to whatever size you like
2. 1 lb bacon fried crispy enough to chop and add to soup
3. 1 pint heavy whipping cream
4. Sour cream, I use the medium size container
5. Chicken broth, usually takes 1 1/2 of the large containers
6. Chives or some green onions chopped fine. I use the dried chives and some
chopped onion sometimes.

7. Handful of cheddar cheese

Cook until potatoes are tender and you're ready to go.
I like mine with REAL cornbread...NO SUGAR!

Think I'll cook up a big pot for the Super Bowl! Wife will makes us a cheese ball, pigs in a blanket, and meatballs that she makes in the crock pot with a jar of grape jelly and a jar of BBQ sauce! Go Bucs!!!

Last edited:
If I may add corn bread recipe to this fabulous bean soup
2 packs jiffy, 1 egg, 1 can creamed corn, 1/2 stick of butter, big dollop of sour cream and a tablespoon of sugar. Bake in pan or muffins at 375 for 20-30
Beat me to it which was wrong. You already had your say.

I'm far from a cook, but I make Potato Soup that is pretty close to what they serve at The Apple Barn in Sevierville Tennessee, which I love.

1. 7-8 large potatoes chopped to whatever size you like
2. 1 lb bacon fried crispy enough to chop and add to soup
3. 1 pint heavy whipping cream
4. Sour cream, I use the medium size container
5. Chicken broth, usually takes 1 1/2 of the large containers
6. Chives or some green onions chopped fine. I use the dried chives and some
chopped onion sometimes.

7. Handful of cheddar cheese

Cook until potatoes are tender and you're ready to go.
I like mine with REAL cornbread...NO SUGAR!

Think I'll cook up a big pot for the Super Bowl! Wife will makes us a cheese ball, pigs in a blanket, and meatballs that she makes in the crock pot with a jar of grape jelly and a jar of BBQ sauce! Go Bucs!!!

Sounds delicious and detriment to my cholesterol levels.

Reactions: ekywildcat
You guys probably know but when I do chili I use 1/2 sausage. You can spice it too by adding hot or spicy sausage

if you want a quick fudge recipe give me a shout
You would not be using 16oz's of peanut butter and 16oz's of Betty Crocker Creamy Vanilla Icing and microwaving it until soft pouring it into a bowl and mixing then into a pan laced with wax paper sprayed with butter spray and letting it set in the frig until hard would you? (Peanut butter fudge) Chocolate would have 16oz's of sweetened condensed milk with with 16oz's of semi sweet chocolate chips melted in the same fashion and mixed together in the same fashion as above.

Reactions: Littlefeller
Uh no but that sounds really good and the latter is close. I microwave a can of condesed milk for 45 seconds add teaspoon vanilla and dash of salt and the chips n microwave 45 seconds then use a mixer to blend til smooth pour in was lined cantainer place chopped nuts on top n refridge til firm

Last edited:
Kinda random and this is only Thanksgiving and/or Christmas casserole with my extended family...but everyone demands I make it every year. I don’t cook ever and have no talent for it but I can combine a bunch of calories. My kids/nieces/nephews refer to it as Rex’s Cheesy Potato Surprise....”where the secret ingredient....is calories”. Crowd pleaser for 20+

- 5 or 6 cartons of the Bob Evans microwave mashed potatoes....yeah, **** off....they’re good and they work. Start with 3 that have been heated up in a mixing bowl....add the rest in later to thicken as needed bc it’ll be a little runny if not. Believe me no one knows or cares they aren’t hand mashed. Shame on you for what you’re thinking of me right now. You’re wrong. They’re great.

- soften a stick of salted butter...mix it in
- soften 8oz of cream cheese...mix it in
- 8oz of sour cream...mix that **** in
- got to get some cracked pepper and sea salt at this point.
- add more potatoes in as needed....this is where it’s runny
- chop up some chives...throw em in

- controversial step that I deviated from my Aunt’s original guidance: mixing in shredded cheese. Originally it was sharp cheddar had stirred in. It’s awesome, it kinda melts throughout. Where I venture out year to year is trying some different cheeses here to see what the crowd thinks. Feel free to really explore the space here.

- finally, pour greatness into a casserole dish thingy or two....then a layer of sharp cheddar to melt on top. Sharp is not to be deviated from here. No getting squirrelly. Tried and true.

- heat at 200 or 250 for 10-20 minutes until it’s melted niiiiice on top.

That’s a comfort food if there ever was one, but yeah that’s only once a year or you might die. You’ll be napping in front of crappy Thanksgiving NFL football in no time.

You’re welcome Catpaw, go be a hero.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Kinda random and this is only Thanksgiving and/or Christmas casserole with my extended family...but everyone demands I make it every year. I don’t cook ever and have no talent for it but I can combine a bunch of calories. My kids/nieces/nephews refer to it as Rex’s Cheesy Potato Surprise....”where the secret ingredient....is calories”. Crowd pleaser for 20+

- 5 or 6 cartons of the Bob Evans microwave mashed potatoes....yeah, **** off....they’re good and they work. Start with 3 that have been heated up in a mixing bowl....add the rest in later to thicken as needed bc it’ll be a little runny if not. Believe me no one knows or cares they aren’t hand mashed. Shame on you for what you’re thinking of me right now. You’re wrong. They’re great.

- soften a stick of salted butter...mix it in
- soften 8oz of cream cheese...mix it in
- 8oz of sour cream...mix that **** in
- got to get some cracked pepper and sea salt at this point.
- add more potatoes in as needed....this is where it’s runny
- chop up some chives...throw em in

- controversial step that I deviated from my Aunt’s original guidance: mixing in shredded cheese. Originally it was sharp cheddar had stirred in. It’s awesome, it kinda melts throughout. Where I venture out year to year is trying some different cheeses here to see what the crowd thinks. Feel free to really explore the space here.

- finally, pour greatness into a casserole dish thingy or two....then a layer of sharp cheddar to melt on top. Sharp is not to be deviated from here. No getting squirrelly. Tried and true.

- heat at 200 or 250 for 10-20 minutes until it’s melted niiiiice on top.

That’s a comfort food if there ever was one, but yeah that’s only once a year or you might die. You’ll be napping in front of crappy Thanksgiving NFL football in no time.

You’re welcome Catpaw, go be a hero.
That actually does sound good, may give it a try soon. And yes, BE Mashed Potatoes are good, no question.

Reactions: Rex Kwon Do
Couple of slices of buttered bread, 2 slices of American cheese, put in fry pan low and slow, open can of Campbell's tomato soup, heat in sauce pan, pour in bowl, plate grilled cheese and profit.

Follow me for more recipes.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT