ADVERTISEMENT

Collins??

tomrain

Blue Chip Prospect
Feb 18, 2004
It seems awfully quiet on the Collins front. Wonder what he is waiting on to make his announcement? Anybody heard anything, other than its just assumed he is leaving to be closer to home.

Chris Fisher or Kyle Tucker on Leach Report other day talking about how this is a much harder decision for Collins than most think. Saying he became incredibly close to Calipari after passing of his father. They said he was already close to him (moreso than some) and that after Cal bent over backwards to help him in grieving process.

He's probably still waiting to see who else leaves. A guy like Collins.. his decision really hinges on others. Where as someone like Oscar knows He'll get his minutes if he comes back.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Chris Fisher or Kyle Tucker on Leach Report other day talking about how this is a much harder decision for Collins than most think. Saying he became incredibly close to Calipari after passing of his father. They said he was already close to him (moreso than some) and that after Cal bent over backwards to help him in grieving process.

I thought that, and stated on here all season, that Cal (or an assistant) may have became a father-like figure for him this season, so it wasn't "a lock" that he would transfer, or that he "wants to leave UK".

Now he might still leave it the numbers look like he won't play much, for example if we had both Oscar and Dickinson.

So I'm sure he wants to talk it over with his mom after the semester. And he also wants to see what Oscar does, and if we add Dickinson. Had UKO not returned, that would have increased the chances.

We give Cal crap on here, but then you hear stuff like this that makes me realize he still is a good guy. A crappy in game coach that won’t change but a good guy.

The path for Collins at Kentucky definitely has been strange. I remember his first season the NBA combine experts (and I trust them more than us experts here) had him as great NBA potential and one of the best athletes on our team. There were one of two games where he was really good but overall it appeared he didn't have many offensive moves. The past season of course there was his personal issue but even before on after on the court he did not appear someone who was better than anyone else or having improved. He needs playing time and maybe our offense isn't the right fit.

A lot of times, skinny high school kids are said to have frames that will put on weight when he gets older. Collins is skinnier than I was. And I was so skinny I usually wasn't even there.

I thought that, and stated on here all season, that Cal (or an assistant) may have became a father-like figure for him this season, so it wasn't "a lock" that he would transfer, or that he "wants to leave UK".

Now he might still leave it the numbers look like he won't play much, for example if we had both Oscar and Dickinson.

So I'm sure he wants to talk it over with his mom after the semester. And he also wants to see what Oscar does, and if we add Dickinson. Had UKO not returned, that would have increased the chances.

I honestly think the best thing he could do would be to redshirt. I know that sounds bizarre in this day and age but man...what he went through has to be a lot to deal with at a young age.

Stay with program, take a year to get mind and body right and come back next year ready to roll.

JMHO

There's also been some speculation/rumor that he lost his Grandfather recently too. Which would explain putting basketball stuff on hold. Really hope that was an incorrect rumor because this young guy has dealt with enough pain and suffering.

He should take a red shirt wherever he is next year

the kid had a devastating loss and you are being a dick about the situation just to get a jab in at Cal? WOW
Uhh yea. Sure buddy. His dad passing has absolutely nothing to do with Cal not giving him a fair shake or knowing how to use him properly. Try again.

I’d love to see him come back, but anyone that hates on his decision to move close to home with his family with all he has been through can kiss my A$$

It seems awfully quiet on the Collins front. Wonder what he is waiting on to make his announcement? Anybody heard anything, other than its just assumed he is leaving to be closer to home.
No veratility in his game offensively. Needs to stay. Needs to get stronger. Never smiles.

I think he's gone... why come back and continue not to get playing time?

He's going to be a Junior with no path to starting he's gone.
NIL and his friendships at UK will probably keep him here. While it would be nice to move back closer to home I feel like he'll stay to support family financially.

I expect Damion to mature significantly and improve to honor his Dad. Like someone mentioned before, he has a close relationship to Cal and his Dad wanted to keep committed to the process at KY.

Reading the tea leaves there's a reason UK hasn't reached out for another 4 in the portal.

The path for Collins at Kentucky definitely has been strange. I remember his first season the NBA combine experts (and I trust them more than us experts here) had him as great NBA potential and one of the best athletes on our team. There were one of two games where he was really good but overall it appeared he didn't have many offensive moves. The past season of course there was his personal issue but even before on after on the court he did not appear someone who was better than anyone else or having improved. He needs playing time and maybe our offense isn't the right fit.
Man...that was all baloney. Collins is probably the second worst 5 star at UK in Cal era behind Whitney. Collins is a total bust on recruiting services. They must have saw a fw lob dunks and gave him a 5 star like a ten year old kid.

All that said....I hope Collins stays and gets a bit stronger and develop. But what NBA potential does he really have? He has no handles, no strength, no bbal IQ and he is not even that much of a face up shooter (has not hit a 3pt in two years)....so outside of a tall dude who can get up....what skill does he bring to the table? He might develop a decent offensive threat but he'll never be a guy you can run offense thru.

Uhh yea. Sure buddy. His dad passing has absolutely nothing to do with Cal not giving him a fair shake or knowing how to use him properly. Try again.
really dumbass? nice try to cover your lack of compassion for the kid...didn't work...you were being a dick and you know it....

really dumbass? nice try to cover your lack of compassion for the kid...didn't work...you were being a dick and you know it....
Nice try but not at all. Why would anyone have any ounce of “lack of compassion” for that kid? Dumbass.

Our coach? Different story.

It seems awfully quiet on the Collins front. Wonder what he is waiting on to make his announcement? Anybody heard anything, other than it’s just assumed he is leaving to be closer to home.
Word is he’s going home and that they are just keeping it out of the spotlight. No surprise and no announcement really needed as most know his situation.

There's also been some speculation/rumor that he lost his Grandfather recently too. Which would explain putting basketball stuff on hold. Really hope that was an incorrect rumor because this young guy has dealt with enough pain and suffering.
Man, I really feel for him if that’s the case. I lost my dad and my grandpa one year apart, in the other order. Not what I’d wish on anyone.

Reactions: tomrain and dl51344
I honestly think the best thing he could do would be to redshirt. I know that sounds bizarre in this day and age but man...what he went through has to be a lot to deal with at a young age.

Stay with program, take a year to get mind and body right and come back next year ready to roll.

JMHO
Shit. Nothing sounds strange to me anymore. Seriously, that would not be the worst idea in the world. I can't see many scenarios where guys redshirts these days unless it's injury or death to a family member. Last yr woulda been good year for DC to redshirt especially the amount of mins he played. Sometime basketball is not that important when you lose a love one.

I believe this is why Coach Cal has not been trying to pick up 2-3 transfers that we thought UK would need next season 2023-24. It sounds like the one big Question Mark who will it be starting at Center either Oscar or Hunter Dickinson. Lets say UK does get Hunter Dickinson we already know that Reeves will probably be returning along with Thiero, Ugo, Ware, and the question marks are Collins, Livingston, and Fredrick. Lets say UK does bring back Collins, Livingston, Fredrick, Ugo, Thiero, Ware, Reeves along with transfer Dickinson that is 8 players to go with the 5 Freshmen. That would have UK sitting at 13 schollies with the 5 Freshmen, 7 returning players, and 1 transfer. That is probably the reason that Coach Cal hasn't went hard for 2-3 players in the Transfer Portal that we thought would be a great fit next season. Cal is waiting on what Oscar and Reeves will be doing after the NBA workouts, seeing if Collins, Livingston, and Fredrick are heading to the transfer portal. If that would happen and Collins, Livingston, and Fredrick head for the transfer portal that would put UK at 10 players and I would see Cal going after another player or two that is left in the Portal.

Reactions: Fox2monk
In the 80s and 90s this was the kind of kid that stayed 4 years and become a really good player before he left, today no. For one reason Cal always goes with the kids he brings in. He HAS TO or his whole model crash3s. If the kids wants to PLAY h3 should leave

Man...that was all baloney. Collins is probably the second worst 5 star at UK in Cal era behind Whitney. Collins is a total bust on recruiting services. They must have saw a fw lob dunks and gave him a 5 star like a ten year old kid.

All that said....I hope Collins stays and gets a bit stronger and develop. But what NBA potential does he really have? He has no handles, no strength, no bbal IQ and he is not even that much of a face up shooter (has not hit a 3pt in two years)....so outside of a tall dude who can get up....what skill does he bring to the table? He might develop a decent offensive threat but he'll never be a guy you can run offense thru.
Exactly, I don’t know how he was ranked so high. It’s like as long as you’re athletic enough you can get a 5 star ranking if you’re tall. He has very little skill, but his main issue IMO is strength. He hasn’t gained any in 2 years and his frame isn’t the kind to put on much.

I believe this is why Coach Cal has not been trying to pick up 2-3 transfers that we thought UK would need next season 2023-24. It sounds like the one big Question Mark who will it be starting at Center either Oscar or Hunter Dickinson. Let’s say UK does get Hunter Dickinson we already know that Reeves will probably be returning along with Thiero, Ugo, Ware, and the question marks are Collins, Livingston, and Fredrick. Let’s say UK does bring back Collins, Livingston, Fredrick, Ugo, Thiero, Ware, Reeves along with transfer Dickinson that is 8 players to go with the 5 Freshmen. That would have UK sitting at 13 schollies with the 5 Freshmen, 7 returning players, and 1 transfer. That is probably the reason that Coach Cal hasn't went hard for 2-3 players in the Transfer Portal that we thought would be a great fit next season. Cal is waiting on what Oscar and Reeves will be doing after the NBA workouts, seeing if Collins, Livingston, and Fredrick are heading to the transfer portal. If that would happen and Collins, Livingston, and Fredrick head for the transfer portal that would put UK at 10 players and I would see Cal going after another player or two that is left in the Portal.
I think we need 2 more. Collins goes home and CJ retires IMO.

In the 80s and 90s this was the kind of kid that stayed 4 years and become a really good player before he left, today no. For one reason Cal always goes with the kids he brings in. He HAS TO or his whole model crash3s. If the kids wants to PLAY h3 should leave
Yeah, but his models been crashed. I mean the guy won't even get certain players off the bench regularly in some very reasonable times. Be up by 15 on anyone in the country, cupcake or UT and he won't even get certain guys in for 3-4 mins to see what they are capable of. I know he sees them in practice but that's bullshit because game mins or different and do something good in a game and confidence go ups. If a mistake is made then fine pull the guy out and try to correct it but Cal has plenty of opportunities to work guys in but he is full of shit. How many times you see UK up 25 with 2:00 to go and he won't even get em in then. He been lucky he hadn't had a injury in that scenario yet.

The reality for Collins is, he doesn't really fit on this UK team. Especially if Dickinson comes in and Livingston returns. There is really no opportunity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT