ADVERTISEMENT

Coen to the Bucs

Theres not one thing here to prove that he's a routine liar. As far as how he's leaving It's happened a millions of times in sports and will happen a million times more. Glad to know that you're a Saint. See ya.
You probably won't see me, since you don't know me. He lied in this case. Lying is unethical, period. The fact that it happens a lot in sports doesn't make it any less unethical. It's not that hard. Do what you say and say what you mean.

Last edited:
Theres not one thing here to prove that he's a routine liar. As far as how he's leaving It's happened a millions of times in sports and will happen a million times more. Glad to know that you're a Saint. See ya.
Well that "I'm going to stay at least 2 years thing"....

My only reason to be not too pissed at Coen is Stoops tried to leave for Texas Am...so in some way does that nullify those sentiments by Coen if Stoops is going to up and go.

Hard onion to peel back...but regardless...the coaches are making bank and UK is the one in the shadows on this saga.

Reactions: Cold Stout Beer
Well that "I'm going to stay at least 2 years thing"....

My only reason to be not too pissed at Coen is Stoops tried to leave for Texas Am...so in some way does that nullify those sentiments by Coen if Stoops is going to up and go.

Hard onion to peel back...but regardless...the coaches are making bank and UK is the one in the shadows on this saga.
I would be more forgiving as well if Stoops tried to leave after asking Coen for a certain number of years. Unfortunately, we don't really know what happened there. Stoops says he never accepted the job and A&M media say he did. Both have reasons to lie so we'll never really know for sure.

I wonder if this is an indictment of Vandagriff....maybe he saw him and is not a believer or maybe he's worried that we end up with another dud transfer and it will hurt his career.

Regardless, every single person here would take care of themself so all the Coen hating is pathetic hypocrisy.
I really doubt this. Vandagriff is admittedly a bit of an unknown quantity at this point, but spring practice hasn’t even started yet. Seems highly unlikely that Coen would have liked him in December and then noped out because of what little he would be able to see in informal January workouts.

Well, which is it?

Do you want an OC that runs a faster pace of offense and has more plays per game, or did you want Coen?

Did you want a PRO STYLE offense with motions that takes time off the clock or one like what Kiffin is running at OleMiss, and the UT runs?

Do you want to have a good running game, or just fling it everywhere? We don't have and don't seem to be recruiting a lot of 5 star OL right now, so we may have to choose.

I don't care if Coen is the OC. I just want a great recruiter and someone that can run an offense that is hard for defenses to adjust to. I don't care if our coaches leave, as long as we can upgrade. I don't care if they are candidates for jobs. I don't care if they interview somewhere else.

I never thought Coen was being honest about settling down in Lexington. His body language wasn't right. I didn't care then and don't care now. It put 2 QBs on our commitment lists that we probably didn't get otherwise with Scang or someone else, and we still have a shot at holding onto them. Gonna take the glass half full look at this.

Sure hope we can upgrade at the OC position and move forward.

Last edited:
I wonder if this is an indictment of Vandagriff....maybe he saw him and is not a believer or maybe he's worried that we end up with another dud transfer and it will hurt his career.

Regardless, every single person here would take care of themself so all the Coen hating is pathetic hypocrisy.

No. I think it's more likely Coen realized he was going to have to change things up to get the plays in faster, get the ball snapped quicker, and had ZERO ability and desire to do so. NFL gives him what... 5 more seconds of motions that don't actually disguise anything

I don't agree. If you are going to look for opportunities every year you don't give your word you will be here for 2 or 3 years, whatever Coen promised. If you give your word, you don't look around until you have fulfilled your promise.

Agreed. It was an immature thing to do.

I told you all I was against bringing him back when the rumors were about him returning. I knew he would have one foot out the door before he even got here. We need a college guy and not a failed NFL guy. Get the right guy and pay him to stay (make him the highest paid OC in college if you have to) and let him run the offense as he chooses. We need one that will run an offense that benefits college players here and gets them lots of plays. Dump the pro set. We just can't keep having a new OC every year at a place like Kentucky.
Well said.

I don't know what, but something behind the scenes must have happened. Just a year ago he was talking about his family needing to plant roots somewhere and how he loved Lexington and how he was tired of putting them through moves. He had every tool here to be successful and be happy, yet at the first chance he got he was interviewing for any job he could. Whatever he's chasing, I hope he finds it.
Yeah it was odd. I think part of it was the honeymoon kind of ended with some of our struggles this past year and maybe Stoops looking around sparked it too. But man I cant remember a guy that got more grace and support from the fans for the short time they knew him than this guy so it does leave little sour taste in my mouth that he would leave like this again.

That said I am not one that thinks its that big of a blow as far as pure coaching, Coen was ok but not some guru that most people keep making him out to be. He still has a long way to go in the college game and had his struggles for sure. But I am afraid in the short run it may cost us some players since they did have a high opinion of him.

Last edited:
It’s his life and good riddance

But here is the lack of logic to me
1. You were oc with Rams …under McVay …who the entire league hires his OC for head coaching positions year after year. You have Matt stafford (albeit aging) some good Wr but a really solid head coach and organization in LA
2. You come to UK..for whatever the reasons
3. Then go back to nfl as OC but wjtb the bucs. Maybe baker mayfield is decent…maybe not. But that roster is aging..they only made playoffs as the division is crap. And Todd Bowles isn’t Sean McVay

Why did he leave rams to go back but with Bucs? Stoops and him must have had a falling out
I dont thing there is any question the dynamic between he and Stoops took a hit this year. Just not sure if it started before Stoops sniffed around with A&M or if that caused it. And then theres the whole weird health situation

Now people are probably wondering if Wolford is going to bolt again, I don't think he will because it will cost him money if he does. But it really doesn't matter because if he doesn't want to be here and some team wants him bad enough, they will pay his buyout anyway.

Reactions: RunninRichie
No way Woodward gets fired without coen's blessing. None. Me and others wondered about the wisdom of firing him rather than finding another spot for him in case this very thing happened. He wouldn't be as good but he would be good enough and probably keep the players while we found someone better.

Instead now once again we're all just left high and dry after the coaching carousel stopped spinning. The first time was understandable. This time is unforgivable
You know I forgot about Woodward, that could have played a part too.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Well, which is it?

Do you want an OC that runs a faster pace of offense and has more plays per game, or did you want Coen?

Did you want a PRO STYLE offense with motions that takes time off the clock or one like what Kiffin is running at OleMiss, and the UT runs?

Do you want to have a good running game, or just fling it everywhere? We don't have and don't seem to be recruiting a lot of 5 star OL right now, so we may have to choose.

I don't care if Coen is the OC. I just want a great recruiter and someone that can run an offense that is hard for defenses to adjust to. I don't care if our coaches leave, as long as we can upgrade. I don't care if they are candidates for jobs. I don't care if they interview somewhere else.

I never thought Coen was being honest about settling down in Lexington. How body language wasn't right. I didn't care then and don't care now. It put 2 QBs on our commitment lists that we probably didn't get otherwise with Scang or someone else, and we still have a shot at holding onto them. Gonna take the glass half full look at this.

I just want a guy that can recruit and develop QB's that runs an offense that is attractive to ALL offensive players!!! If you can get the right QB, everything else will fall into place.

From reading what some of the recruits said, especially Stone Saunders, Coen outright LIED to them all about leaving.

That is something that I really didn't like. It reveals a character flaw that would have eventually reared it's head, so UK is better off knowing it NOW.

You know I forgot about Woodward, that could have played a part too.

Coen most surely have the approval to not renew his contract. That was pretty much a stab in the back for Woodward considering he was a QB coach who was on staff as an analyst. Woody only ever became wr coach because boughknight was caught speeding on 75 drunk with an empty bottle of liquor rolling around.

Jmo but reading the situation, that's who coen threw under he bus for the wr performance. Because what should've happened, woody should've been kept on staff in some capacity while we hired an actual wr coach.

Of course that's assuming you can believe anything from coen about how awesome they worked together. But I think you can believe that because our offense looked better this season too with woody in the box and coen on the field.

Guys, grow up, coaches lie, all of them all the time.

The greatest CFB coach of all time looked a tv camera in the face and plainly said "I will not be the head coach of Alabama" - 2 weeks before quitting his Dolphins job and becoming the Bama coach.

Not saying you can't be mad at Coen or hate him or vow to cheer against him the rest of your life. Go ahead. But stop with the HE LIED TO US HE HAS NO HONOR OR DIGNITY!!!

they
all
lie
all
the
time
about
everything

Reactions: Cat_Man_Blue
Guys, grow up, coaches lie, all of them all the time.

The greatest CFB coach of all time looked a tv camera in the face and plainly said "I will not be the head coach of Alabama" - 2 weeks before quitting his Dolphins job and becoming the Bama coach.

Not saying you can't be mad at Coen or hate him or vow to cheer against him the rest of your life. Go ahead. But stop with the HE LIED TO US HE HAS NO HONOR OR DIGNITY!!!

they
all
lie
all
the
time
about
everything
I just think it's hilarious that Coen traded UK Football for Baker Mayfield!!

I realize we aren't one of the Big Boys, but Baker FREAKIN Mayfield????!!!!!!

That is CRAZY!!!!

Coen most surely have the approval to not renew his contract. That was pretty much a stab in the back for Woodward considering he was a QB coach who was on staff as an analyst. Woody only ever became wr coach because boughknight was caught speeding on 75 drunk with an empty bottle of liquor rolling around.

Jmo but reading the situation, that's who coen threw under he bus for the wr performance. Because what should've happened, woody should've been kept on staff in some capacity while we hired an actual wr coach.

Of course that's assuming you can believe anything from coen about how awesome they worked together. But I think you can believe that because our offense looked better this season too with woody in the box and coen on the field.
Forgot about all that. Been a little drama in uk football over the years.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
It’s NIL and the portal. We’re seeing collegiate head coaches bolt for coordinator jobs in the NFL, something unheard of before. Word is Chip Kelly is trying to do the same, as he just interviewed for an OC position.. Get used to it and who can blame them? It’s destroying the game we love.

Piss on Coen. He's a one trick pony anyway with zero adaptability, something which is critical in the college game. Go offer Joe Moorhead $2 million a year to come be our OC and we won't miss a single beat. In fact, he would likely be a significant improvement over Coen. He was the guy I wanted when we hired Coen the first time.

I know this will go over like a wet blanket on here but maybe Liam Coen just isn't that good? This is like his 4th move in 5 years. I think his reputation keeps him involved but I think the Bucs will find out he isn't the genius Matt Jones thinks he is.
Neither was our current o line coach when he left, now he hung the moon again

Reactions: bigbluedon
Angry Over It GIF by Famous in Love

• Haha
Reactions: catben
Been a UK football fan since the mid-70’s and I’ll keep watching but the new transfer rules and constant coach shifting is slowly making me lose interest. It’s like the one and done in bball, you never really know who half your starters or coaches are going to be from year to year. Really hurts a team like us who’s in the toughest conference in all of football and possibly losing some or several of our playmakers. Yeah, all teams lose guys in the portal but it can kill a program like ours.

That said, I really feel there’s an internal problem going on and the only factor is CMS. Love the guy but he’s definitely a micromanager as exhibited through our tendencies to do the same thing in certain situations no matter who we have as OC or DC. Slow the game down on offense, sitting back in defense hoping our opponent makes a mistake, sitting on the ball before the half; hard to work for a guy like that.

Will see alot of coaches to the pro game and is a trend. College is no longer about football and is about nil and roster management. CFB is the wild west and currently a dumpster fire. Needs some mechanisms put in place like nfl to stay relevant.
How would you like to be a Offensive or Defensive Coordinator with the revolving door College football has become? How do you implement a successful system when you have constant turnover. Look what constant turnover has done to our basketball program.

Well, which is it?

I never thought Coen was being honest about settling down in Lexington. How body language wasn't right. I didn't care then and don't care now. It put 2 QBs on our commitment lists that we probably didn't get otherwise with Scang or someone else, and we still have a shot at holding onto them. Gonna take the glass half full look at this.

Well said. For a lot of the reasons you pointed out I've never been as enamored as some with Coen's offense. Too slow, too reliant on long developing routes which require pass protection, lack of quick strike plays and use of the underneath areas. And asks QB to ride the pocket too much instead of taking off when needed. Play calling was erratic as well. The only problem I have with him leaving is the timing and the instability it creates.

This may be a stupid take but why do offensive coordinators try to force their personnel into a certain type of offense and make that work. Why don’t they look at the personnel they have and build an offense based on their strengths instead of forcing them to fit into a certain system. This past season i saw a lot where coens offense was hard to grasp and that Leary struggled to pick up and understand aspects of it. To me if a qb and other players are struggling to understand certain aspects of the offensive that should be a problem
Not all OCs do, Eddie Gran comes to mind.

Dude looked like he had aged 10 years in his one year as Rams OC, came back to UK - had an undisclosed medical episode that appeared to be stress related and now he's back to the NFL where he's got less job security. None of it makes sense
This is the exact thing I was thinking. His health must of not have been that big of an issue.

This is the exact thing I was thinking. His health must of not have been that big of an issue.
We will NEVER get this mess cleaned up until Stoops is fired. Why in heck do we seem to think he has helped UK football. Hell, take away our three bought wins for the past several years, what would Stoops record be. He has not beat shxt in eleven years. I am sick and tired of his bullshxt coaching & recruiting. It sucks and half this board don't have the gonads to move on to a younger more offensive coach. Defense use to win championships, OFFENSE wins in 2024. We have zero balls to accept what Stoops give us. I would rather win 45 to 42 than to lose 14 to 10. Everyone is afraid that Stoops has given us more than we use to get. Who wants to go 7 & 5 and call that good. Eleven years and actually we still are lower middle of the pack in SEC. With TX & OK next year, we will NEVER win a championship with Stoops. NEVER. Clean house starting with AD, Head Coach and ALL assistant coaches. In two years we will be better than our current staff will ever reach.

Reactions: bigbluedon
We will NEVER get this mess cleaned up until Stoops is fired. Why in heck do we seem to think he has helped UK football. Hell, take away our three bought wins for the past several years, what would Stoops record be. He has not beat shxt in eleven years. I am sick and tired of his bullshxt coaching & recruiting. It sucks and half this board don't have the gonads to move on to a younger more offensive coach. Defense use to win championships, OFFENSE wins in 2024. We have zero balls to accept what Stoops give us. I would rather win 45 to 42 than to lose 14 to 10. Everyone is afraid that Stoops has given us more than we use to get. Who wants to go 7 & 5 and call that good. Eleven years and actually we still are lower middle of the pack in SEC. With TX & OK next year, we will NEVER win a championship with Stoops. NEVER. Clean house starting with AD, Head Coach and ALL assistant coaches. In two years we will be better than our current staff will ever reach.
Wait... we "bought wins"?

Reactions: Girthang
Been a UK football fan since the mid-70’s and I’ll keep watching but the new transfer rules and constant coach shifting is slowly making me lose interest. It’s like the one and done in bball, you never really know who half your starters or coaches are going to be from year to year. Really hurts a team like us who’s in the toughest conference in all of football and possibly losing some or several of our playmakers. Yeah, all teams lose guys in the portal but it can kill a program like ours.

Musical chairs is what it is, and I hated that game as a kid.

Coen was supposed to speed things up and get us more vertical, with more plays per game. Didn't happen

Reactions: bluecoon1
For God's sake, have any of the interested parties even acknowledged that there are ongoing discussions or ever have been discussions between the parties, much less official confirmation that the rumors are true?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT