ADVERTISEMENT

Coen interviewing with bears

The information that is coming out indicates there was no riff between Stoops and Coen, he just wanted to test the NFL waters again to see what he was worth. My own take is when Stoops decided to interview with A&M Coen felt that gave him a free pass to do likewise.

Regarding the offense. Coen calls the plays and is also responsible for substitutions along with the position coaches. His offense has a lot of motion and "eye candy" to get the defense to expose itself presnap. It also has a lot of subing. The pace is strictly part of Coen's design and he has spoken about this in pressers indicate that he is looking for ways to speed it up.

I realize Stoops is a lot of people's favorite target right now everything from offense pace to the price of tea in China, but those thoughts are without any basis or merit. Stoops is committed to modernizing the offense which is why he brought Coen in, in the first place. The offense is a work in progress and though it had it's issues, they still put up 10 PPG more than last season. Regardless of how many plays you run that's measurable progress.

Last edited:
The information that is coming out indicates there was no riff between Stoops and Coen, he just wanted to test the NFL waters again to see what he was worth. My own take is when Stoops decided to interview with A&M Coen felt that gave him a free pass to do likewise.

Regarding the offense. Coen calls the plays and is also responsible for substitutions along with the position coaches. His offense has a lot of motion and "eye candy" to get the defense to expose itself presnap. It also has a lot of subing. The pace is strictly part of Coen's design and he has spoken about this in pressers indicate that he is looking for ways to speed it up.

I realize Stoops is a lot of people's favorite target right now everything from offense pace to the price of tea in China, but those thoughts are without any basis or merit. Stoops is committed to modernizing the offense which is why he brought Coen in, in the first place. The offense is a work in progress and though it had it's issues, they still put up 10 PPG more than last season. Regardless of how many plays you run that's measurable progress.
Thank you Mike Stoops. 12 years here or whatever, and the offense is still a work in progress. What does that tell you?

Anti-Stoopers have gigged everything about the past season, some admittedly with good reason. But none have commented on the efficient offense of the last 2 games when UK actually looked like a different team. I'm looking forward to how the new plug and plays fit in.

Anti-Stoopers have gigged everything about the past season, some admittedly with good reason. But none have commented on the efficient offense of the last 2 games when UK actually looked like a different team. I'm looking forward to how the new plug and plays fit in.
Yeah it's amazing what an offense looks like when we catch the ball and limit penalties!

Lol.

You must have missed 2023.

We wasted dozens of downs trying to hit lengthy patterns to Barrion Brown, with the most efficient back in Stoops’ tenure being limited by the stress on passing.
I agree with the passes being thrown to Brown.

And they put up 29 PPG averaging the fewest number of plays run in the Country just about. So something needs to be said for efficiency. I know talk is cheap but they have discussed upping the pace next season. I hope they stick to that.

Reactions: cathouse
When will we have a final answer on the Coen question. I tend to think it will be soon
Actually from an article on TOS they indicated it'll be a while before a resolution is reached. Made the point that pro teams are very slow, methodical in their process.

Actually from an article on TOS they indicated it'll be a while before a resolution is reached. Made the point that pro teams are very slow, methodical in their process.
I'm still trying to figure out if interviewing Coen is even real. His history tells me they have to have better options.

Good year at UK (NFL caliber QB)
Failed year in NFL
Marginal year at UK (very average QB)

Thats his last 3 years in a nutshell. Why would an NFL team want that guy?

And they put up 29 PPG averaging the fewest number of plays run in the Country just about. So something needs to be said for efficiency. I know talk is cheap but they have discussed upping the pace next season. I hope they stick to that.

I agree our efficiency was pretty good and bears highlighting because our stats are heavily skewed by snaps per game.

That said:

Special teams and (especially early before Max broke his hand) defense contributed nicely to those numbers. That should be pointed out.

Efficiency continues to prove Leary wasnt nearly as bad as fans thought. He was a disappointment in terms of expectations but still produced better than fans give credit.

It will be hard to recruit in the future if your OC has one foot out of the door at the end of each season in spite of being paid in the top 10% of OC's. So I think we take our lumps and find someone who is willing to sign a three year contract with a huge buyout for both sides

That isn't stoops. It's all the long play calls, shifts, motions, then snaps. Later on his first year, he said he figured out all that was too much so he cut it out; and we took off. I assumed he would just pick up that adjustment immediately but he never did. Weird.

Thought it very interesting Saban said Michigan just lining up and going was a big issue for them. We do so much before the snap it's counterproductive. Line up, motion, go.

Switch it up once in a while, but by all means get their asses to the line right away and skip the 15 sec huddle.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity

Excellent post. Coen should talk to Gran about how to speed up the offense. Gran had to slow the offense down very early on

Thanks, I hadn't researched it at all. I hope he stays but it will be what it will be. I would like to see us keep the players we have on hand and keeping Coen probably gives us the best chance to do that.

Reactions: mrschwump
No way he leaves to be a “ pass game coordinator” under an actual OC. Is there? Nah. No way.

Coen literally left the Rams because he didn't like watching McVey call the plays. Ihe & his agent are very justified in working over the Bears where he gets a raise plus the playcaller headset, or no deal. We'll see.

Switch it up once in a while, but by all means get their asses to the line right away and skip the 15 sec huddle.

That would definitely be a good changeup.

Imo we would've been fine without the shifts. Motions are majorly effective. I just don't see what shifts add when we motion 10 seconds later.

All the shifts do is cause the play call to be longer, make players remember more, gives more opportunity for presnap issues/penalties, and eats into OL because they're in a stance for several seconds.

Reactions: K_TIME
It’s a short leash everywhere except for head coaches with excessive contract lengths and buyouts. Stoops let go of 2 oc’s after a single season

Reactions: K_TIME
That would definitely be a good changeup.

Imo we would've been fine without the shifts. Motions are majorly effective. I just don't see what shifts add when we motion 10 seconds later.

All the shifts do is cause the play call to be longer, make players remember more, gives more opportunity for presnap issues/penalties, and eats into OL because they're in a stance for several seconds.
Agreed. The shifts mainly caused motion penalties and having Oline in a stance is harder on them

But why so many hammer Stoops for pace of offense when we literally threw it more then we ran it ….beyond me 💁‍♂️

It’s like Coen js golden child and it’s all Stoops fault if it goes bad

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
An episode Wed that could've been a tip off on what's ahead. Marrow, Yenser and....White visited Kattus/Greene, 2 huge '25 recruits, OTs both and vital to the success of the '25 class. But not Coen. Why wouldn't your OC not visit such important recruits? I had been confident of Coen's return but my faith of that return has been shaken by Coen's absence of that event.

An episode Wed that could've been a tip off on what's ahead. Marrow, Yenser and....White visited Kattus/Greene, 2 huge '25 recruits, OTs both and vital to the success of the '25 class. But not Coen. Why wouldn't your OC not visit such important recruits? I had been confident of Coen's return but my faith of that return has been shaken by Coen's absence of that event.
I think it is obvious that Coen’s name is popping up for these different job openings for a reason...........

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT