ADVERTISEMENT

Coach here with a January Post.

Or Cal should stop acting like a maniac and stop screaming? If it is truly turning kids away and putting them off, then he needs to adapt, if it is causing these top recruits to go elsewhere.

You guys are kidding yourself if you don;t think most of if not all coaches rip these kids as much as Calipari does. I've heard Duke fans that have set right behind the Duke bench say that Coach K cusses his players as bad as anything they've ever heard before.

@CoachX11 thanks as always for stopping by! It means a great deal to here from a true professional. I think we need to bring in some new younger coach with some flair. Cal is a little hot headed but a different opinion could really help. He shouldn't cave into critics from the fan base.
I just saw where E.J. Montgomery may be back on our recruiting board. Have you heard any details on him? I don't expect Cal to offer Moses Brown, a good kid just needs to much work to land here.

Thanks so much for your time and friendship. Perhaps you may end up here some day. Best wishes and keep us tuned in!

Last edited:
You guys are kidding yourself if you don;t think most of if not all coaches rip these kids as much as Calipari does. I've heard Duke fans that have set right behind the Duke bench say that Coach K cusses his players as bad as anything they've ever heard before.
Trust me, I do believe every coach does it. But Cal does it for everyone to see. Most do it on the bench during time outs. Cal over emphasizes everything, which I believe he has to do at times to make his young players get it through their head. But if we are to believe what Coach is saying, and it is turning kids away, then he needs to adjust.

@CoachX11, I realize that you can't name specific schools or coaches, but what kinds of things do coaches ,at big time programs, use to recruit? I mean top 25 type kids. I know it's not bags of cash, but are parents, family getting new jobs or living arrangements, or travel costs covered, etc? How do boosters help with recruiting? Basically, without naming names, how does recruiting work in college basketball today?

My guess would be that Penny is the former NBA guy. He's been very successful in Memphis. I have been against hiring a coach to get a kid but after what I have seen lately, I say do it.
There is likely a former NBA guy nobody is aware of, but I think it would be a great move.

Bennett at UK and his boring, methodical style of play? No way! You have no appreciation of Kentucky basketball history to recommend Bennett. He would be an epic fail.

Finally, I don't know what kind of "coach" you are or whether you are even a coach. However, rather than rely upon the "rumors" you claim have heard and choose to spread on this board, I opt to defer to Coach Cal and his decision as to what he needs to change, if anything.

Reactions: struggler
Hello Wildcat fans.

Been a tough week for you all, and I seemed to raise a stir about some comments I made Sunday morning when I had a few minutes to check-in on this board. I’ve avoid posting and viewing lately because everytime I post it gets negative. Not just post by me, but people in general. Geez people, do you not realize you have one of the best programs and coaches in the nation? Maybe it’s the way I grew up and live, but life is so much better and more enjoyable when you’re positive.

So I figured I’ll post on some “rumors” that are not for certain to happen, but this is what I have heard. TAKE FOR A GRAIN OF SALT.

1. Assistant Coaching Comment- I have in fact heard that there has some fillers out to some younger coaches about who they could bring to Kentucky. Now, you have to realize that the job of an assistant is getting players to your school. In most circumstances, assistants lose their jobs if they can’t deliver for their head coach. If it’s not a NBA guy, look at top Nike school assistants.

2. As far as which coach leaves for UK. I assume unless Payne gets a head job, it’ll be Barbee. The young assistant Justus is supposedly doing well with connections with younger classes. This may not pay off this year, but in the next few years he will be seen as an asset. I know there is a relationship with Barbee. Just my reading between the lines.

3. NBA Comment- I have heard that several former NBA players WOULD be in play if any openings were too occur. It’s not fair to those guys that I mention anything because people obviously read these posts and rumors spread like wildfire. I as a coach wouldn’t want people spreading gossip that I’m leaving my kids in the middle of the season. I WILL say this: Look at the former NBA players who are active in coaching high level kids. NOT saying a new assistant WILL be a former league guy, just know there are some interest.

4. This Team- I’m shocked by this team in all honesty by the fact that they have won as much as they have. I think we all (including coaching staff” overrated the “SKILL” level of this Kentucky team. There isn’t a lot of good ball handling or other essential skills that are needed to win in March. This includes basketball IQ, which is one of my top qualities I look for in players. Blame Cal, blame AAU, blame whoever you want. However, these kids should know how to play basketball by now. This isn’t normal or typical for previous Coach Cal teams. Hopefully the return of Vanderbilt will help you all. He’s both skilled and has a high BBIQ.

5. Coach Cal- I think he should consider changing the type of players he recruits.. 5-10 years ago it was okay to bully people and get big bodies and just grind on them. Now the game is being much more finesse, and the skill and shooting levels of non-elite players are higher than even. The game is going more towards floor spacing, driving, then kick-out jump shots. You combine that with UK’s length and lacking of lateral quickness, you get a more level playing field Just an outsider looking on, it seems like UK hasn’t recruited guys like that in past few years. Basketball is an ever changing game, coaches adapt to what's working. For example, the match-up zone was a big thing just a few years ago. You got to adapt.

6. Recruiting (The big one)- I think the Kentucky brand is no longer the “IT” school right now. Other schools are finding more and more ways to outduel UK on the trail. I think part of it is that Coach Cal is now perceived as being too hard on his players(the antics on the sidelines). Look, I work with millenials all the time, they’re soft. Most can’t handle the kind of “old school” coaching that Cal does, it’s hurting him some with kids. I’m sure some of you all have kids that age, it’s just how this world is going. It makes them harder to coach. Another reason is the fact more kids are having success staying close to home.

7. Next Year Cats- I think the three they currently have will help next year. They all are highly skilled and smart players who can score in multiple ways. Keldon and Quickley are top 10 in my mind. Herro is a great outside shooter that could be a big time player. I also think you’ll see 3-4 leave. A couple because of the NBA, and a couple because it’s just not working out.

You guys have a top 5 coach in America, sure you guys are getting more critical of him, and rightfully so. However if you don’t think that Coach Cal is going to just sit back and not take some type of action and change some things this offseason, then you don’t know how he operates. He now has some pressure on him, which is probably good for everyone.

For those wanting a new coach, you won’t get a better package of everything involved within a coach than Cal. However, my first call would be to Tony Bennett. He won’t be at Virginia too much longer. That’s the next great coach. Besides me of course ;)

Lastly, save the I’m fake or don’t know anything posts. The last post I made had enough of those and I’m sure I already know the haters feel. #FakeNews

I'll answer anything else I can, please @ me, so it'll show up in my alerts.

Thanks coach, totally agree with Cal's style being a hindrance...look at how K engages with players vs. Cal, can see how kids would prefer the more calm mentoring approach. And most successful NBA coaches have the same approach.

Fake news never sounded better!
Man - I have read this guys post over the years... Hate to doubt someone who puts that much time into a post - but I am beginning to be on board with you on this. I hate that because so many seem to trust him and be convinced. To me - it's all generalities, speculations and even personal commentary as to what he thinks Cal should do better or differently (as if Cal's not on an already pretty high coaching level). I guess sometimes if you just give people something they want to hear - they accept it.

I'm sure I'll get bashed for agreeing with you. But as of today - it's not a stretch to say any of that stuff. Personnel changes - duh. Adjustments to the sport - even game to game - duh. UK not the "IT" school (esp. on the heels of Saturday) - duh... players leaving at end of season - duh. Sunshine pump our recruits to win your favor and trust - duh.

Sorry if I'm wrong or out of line - but that post reads like a summary page of the past week on this board and has nothing specific.... at all.

BTW I'm not a fan of Cal's over the top rants on the sidelines - at all - but I don't think that is a deterrent as much as it is just embarrassing. Cal wants these guys to be able to handle the hell the NBA is. Anyone can look calm on camera - and most NBA coaches don't publicly rant on players... but if a player is not ready and tough - they are going to have a tough time making it. Okafor anyone??

Last edited:
Great post. I guess my questions are:

How can Nick Saban get his recruits when he's much more of a tyrant than Cal is? I get that it's a different sport, a contact sport where you have to be tough, and that plays a huge part in mentality. But Saban doesn't give a shit about players after they leave. He's not a player's coach like Cal is.

And I'm not sure I'd want Bennett. He's yet to do anything in the tournament despite being very battle tested by the ACC. But.. maybe at a marquee school his recruiting would uptick. Maybe this whole 1AD thing, while great for a while, has run it's course. Maybe it can't truly win titles and maybe that freshman mentality just doesn't work.

Reactions: docholiday51
  1. For those wanting a new coach, you won’t get a better package of everything involved within a coach than Cal. However, my first call would be to Tony Bennett.

@Wildcat-in-STL , just waiting for you to tear into Coach for using this racist, misleading phrase. He's enabling the trolls! He needs to "provide names or shut the hell up!" or something to that effect.

Last edited:
Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Hello Wildcat fans.

Been a tough week for you all, and I seemed to raise a stir about some comments I made Sunday morning when I had a few minutes to check-in on this board. I’ve avoid posting and viewing lately because everytime I post it gets negative. Not just post by me, but people in general. Geez people, do you not realize you have one of the best programs and coaches in the nation? Maybe it’s the way I grew up and live, but life is so much better and more enjoyable when you’re positive.

So I figured I’ll post on some “rumors” that are not for certain to happen, but this is what I have heard. TAKE FOR A GRAIN OF SALT.

1. Assistant Coaching Comment- I have in fact heard that there has some fillers out to some younger coaches about who they could bring to Kentucky. Now, you have to realize that the job of an assistant is getting players to your school. In most circumstances, assistants lose their jobs if they can’t deliver for their head coach. If it’s not a NBA guy, look at top Nike school assistants.

2. As far as which coach leaves for UK. I assume unless Payne gets a head job, it’ll be Barbee. The young assistant Justus is supposedly doing well with connections with younger classes. This may not pay off this year, but in the next few years he will be seen as an asset. I know there is a relationship with Barbee. Just my reading between the lines.

3. NBA Comment- I have heard that several former NBA players WOULD be in play if any openings were too occur. It’s not fair to those guys that I mention anything because people obviously read these posts and rumors spread like wildfire. I as a coach wouldn’t want people spreading gossip that I’m leaving my kids in the middle of the season. I WILL say this: Look at the former NBA players who are active in coaching high level kids. NOT saying a new assistant WILL be a former league guy, just know there are some interest.

4. This Team- I’m shocked by this team in all honesty by the fact that they have won as much as they have. I think we all (including coaching staff” overrated the “SKILL” level of this Kentucky team. There isn’t a lot of good ball handling or other essential skills that are needed to win in March. This includes basketball IQ, which is one of my top qualities I look for in players. Blame Cal, blame AAU, blame whoever you want. However, these kids should know how to play basketball by now. This isn’t normal or typical for previous Coach Cal teams. Hopefully the return of Vanderbilt will help you all. He’s both skilled and has a high BBIQ.

5. Coach Cal- I think he should consider changing the type of players he recruits.. 5-10 years ago it was okay to bully people and get big bodies and just grind on them. Now the game is being much more finesse, and the skill and shooting levels of non-elite players are higher than even. The game is going more towards floor spacing, driving, then kick-out jump shots. You combine that with UK’s length and lacking of lateral quickness, you get a more level playing field Just an outsider looking on, it seems like UK hasn’t recruited guys like that in past few years. Basketball is an ever changing game, coaches adapt to what's working. For example, the match-up zone was a big thing just a few years ago. You got to adapt.

6. Recruiting (The big one)- I think the Kentucky brand is no longer the “IT” school right now. Other schools are finding more and more ways to outduel UK on the trail. I think part of it is that Coach Cal is now perceived as being too hard on his players(the antics on the sidelines). Look, I work with millenials all the time, they’re soft. Most can’t handle the kind of “old school” coaching that Cal does, it’s hurting him some with kids. I’m sure some of you all have kids that age, it’s just how this world is going. It makes them harder to coach. Another reason is the fact more kids are having success staying close to home.

7. Next Year Cats- I think the three they currently have will help next year. They all are highly skilled and smart players who can score in multiple ways. Keldon and Quickley are top 10 in my mind. Herro is a great outside shooter that could be a big time player. I also think you’ll see 3-4 leave. A couple because of the NBA, and a couple because it’s just not working out.

You guys have a top 5 coach in America, sure you guys are getting more critical of him, and rightfully so. However if you don’t think that Coach Cal is going to just sit back and not take some type of action and change some things this offseason, then you don’t know how he operates. He now has some pressure on him, which is probably good for everyone.

For those wanting a new coach, you won’t get a better package of everything involved within a coach than Cal. However, my first call would be to Tony Bennett. He won’t be at Virginia too much longer. That’s the next great coach. Besides me of course ;)

Lastly, save the I’m fake or don’t know anything posts. The last post I made had enough of those and I’m sure I already know the haters feel. #FakeNews

Thanks for your assessments. I have to agree with a lot you say. Cal will adjust, simply because he is a great innovator, and he thinks outside the box. Must also agree that you just can't pound inside anymore, and that is one reason why we are currently struggling. Can't kick it out to anyone who can consistently knock down the 3. Next year, it should be different with who we have coming in. Still wouldn't trade Cal for anyone else.

Barbee needs to be the guy that leaves.......he brings nothing to the table

I don't care how hard Cal is on the players in practice, but you can not jerk them out every time they make a mistake or miss a rebound.. Now if they do it 2 or 3 trips down the floor, then yes, but not because they dropped a pass, or took a bad shot. As bad as I hate to say it K gives his guys offensive freedom to run & gun, where Cal wants a more controlled tempo.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
Better than playing another year of HS and 1 college season isn't it?
But why would he have to play 2 years? Bagley can leave after this year.
Exactly! It is way better be a soph start making poy noise First team All American. Its tons more exposure and will do nothing but help his draft stock

If the kids can't take the yelling then maybe they should find another hobby/profession? Maybe crocheting or become florists?

You are so misguided. Some personalities respond to a kick in the butt. Others respond to encouragement. The successful leader recognizes both types and acts accordingly.

Or Cal should stop acting like a maniac and stop screaming? If it is truly turning kids away and putting them off, then he needs to adapt, if it is causing these top recruits to go elsewhere.
Kids are softer now days sadly, and as a coach you have to adjust if you're going to have players that don't respond to a blunt approach.
Didn't he have a team in the last couple of years where mid way through the year; Cal had to take a more laid back approach and they responded well after that change. He was going to sit back more and let Kenny Payne instruct more. It may have been one of his "tweaks". Was that last year's team that in thinking of?

I think that approach could help with team , they look miserable out there. It would help with recruits if this generation doesn't respond to constant yelling. His yelling has rarely bothered me, but even the last couple of years I've caught myself a few times saying "Man Cal tone it back a little, I'm getting tired of hearing it from my couch ". I mean when's the last time we seen Cal actually have fun &smile on the sidelines?!?!

Maybe this is in part why we've seen kids gravitate towards Ratface the last couple of years, for the most part his demeanor towards the players is low key. Hate to say it but maybe that staff has realized that today's kids don't tend to react to a brunt approach.

@Wildcat-in-STL , just waiting for you to tear into Coach for using this racist, misleading phrase. He's enabling the trolls! He needs to "provide names or shut the hell up!" or something to that effect.

He didnt put it in the thread title.

you should know espn and other media members read this board because they've used bull sh*t like your thread to bash us in the past .......... not enough people want Cal gone but you devoting a thread to it makes it sound like there are a LOT of people wanting him gone..... simply NOT TRUE

I know K does rip his players, but when's the last time you've seen him yelling at the top of his lungs multiple times a game at his players? He tends to rip them in a passive aggressive manner

Eh....

1. These kids aren't your typical millennial. A lot of them grow up with dads and coaches that put them through a ringer. Cal speaks their language, I'm not buying that one. I coached as well, I know the ones you are talking about, but Cal doesn't recruit 8 grade ice cream eaters. The players in college basketball typically cuss worse than Cal and K combined. Also, Cal doesn't just go crazy. He's a quick screamer and then moves. He doesn't show them up, he's just a tough coach and most people actually don't realize this. They think Cal is more progressive there and he isn't. Cal is brutal, but Pj Washington doesn't scare. Sell.

2. Everything you said is as obvious as a 4000 lbs gorilla's ass. I'm sorry, it's not a knock on ya, I'm sure you work somewhere and talk to a few people, but all just fairly obvious.

He didnt put it in the thread title.

you should know espn and other media members read this board because they've used bull sh*t like your thread to bash us in the past .......... not enough people want Cal gone but you devoting a thread to it makes it sound like there are a LOT of people wanting him gone..... simply NOT TRUE
Reach. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Man - I have read this guys post over the years... Hate to doubt someone who puts that much time into a post - but I am beginning to be on board with you on this. I hate that because so many seem to trust him and be convinced. To me - it's all generalities, speculations and even personal commentary as to what he thinks Cal should do better or differently (as if Cal's not on an already pretty high coaching level). I guess sometimes if you just give people something they want to hear - they accept it.

I'm sure I'll get bashed for agreeing with you. But as of today - it's not a stretch to say any of that stuff. Personnel changes - duh. Adjustments to the sport - even game to game - duh. UK not the "IT" school (esp. on the heels of Saturday) - duh... players leaving at end of season - duh. Sunshine pump our recruits to win your favor and trust - duh.

Sorry if I'm wrong or out of line - but that post reads like a summary page of the past week on this board and has nothing specific.... at all.

BTW I'm not a fan of Cal's over the top rants on the sidelines - at all - but I don't think that is a deterrent as much as it is just embarrassing. Cal wants these guys to be able to handle the hell the NBA is. Anyone can look calm on camera - and most NBA coaches don't publicly rant on players... but if a player is not ready and tough - they are going to have a tough time making it. Okafor anyone??
I have thought this for a long time that he was baiting us.....I hope I am wrong...Has he ever been right on a recruit....He said nothing that was not discussed in a long thread last night....

Hello Wildcat fans.

OUTSTANDING analysis!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GBB!!!!!

If the kids can't take the yelling then maybe they should find another hobby/profession? Maybe crocheting or become florists?
I've never heard Cal yell at a player for playing well. These guys need yelling or they'll keep making the same mistakes. What really get's Cal going is when he coaches guys about something all week, talks about it in the time out huddle and they go out and make the same mistake. We've had a lot of that recently. Play better and get yelled at less. Pretty simple.

Reactions: st-louie-blue
Hello Wildcat fans.

LOL

Fantastic post, spot on and I completely agree with you on Bennett.
I do think the Herro kid is going to be fascinating to watch how he is utilized.

This kid looks to me like a poor mans Rex Chapman with a confidence/cockiness that is so very important, if he is under utilized,thIs will not bode well for the direction of the program, now I will duck

I have often wondered about Cal’s sideline antics. He will berate or instruct a player while play is going on. It seems at times that he could lose focus on gameplay while he’s “talking” with an individual player. He also seems to want other players to witness his individual tirade.
As far as Bennett if it ever came time for another coach, I don’t think he’s ready for everything that comes with the Kentucky job.
I would consider Jay Wright first.

I think Bennett is a good coach. But not sure I want someone who hasn’t been to a final four. Also think he should recruit better at VA. But that may be cause of the style he plays.

I have never called out a poster and I don't post a lot, but I also am calling fake news on this coach guy. All of his posts are nothing but broad generalizations without any real insight.

Thing is you don't have to sit behind the UK bench to see it. You can be sitting 1100 miles away in your living room.

I don't know the effect but Cal's marching out onto the floor to ream Nick Richards before he could get to the time out huddle would in another sport be called bush league.

Hopefully that was a one time thing and we never see it again. Says to me Cal is feeling some pressure.

As for Bennett, he would be an excellent choice. His half-court offense is slower than Cal's but almost always produces a better shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are so misguided. Some personalities respond to a kick in the butt. Others respond to encouragement. The successful leader recognizes both types and acts accordingly.
No misguidance here. If these guys want to become men then they need to be able to take criticism. I am sorry I don't buy into the snowflake principle. That's the problem we have today in this society.

I agree with Coach on the screaming. I watch 100 games a year, very few coaches screams and yells the whole time, Cal is one. They play like robots, waiting foř the next command yelled to them. A coach yells and screams during practice, and timeouts, not 20ft on the court with thousands watching tv. Those days have passed.

Reactions: qwesley
Eh....

1. These kids aren't your typical millennial. A lot of them grow up with dads and coaches that put them through a ringer. Cal speaks their language, I'm not buying that one. I coached as well, I know the ones you are talking about, but Cal doesn't recruit 8 grade ice cream eaters. The players in college basketball typically cuss worse than Cal and K combined. Also, Cal doesn't just go crazy. He's a quick screamer and then moves. He doesn't show them up, he's just a tough coach and most people actually don't realize this. They think Cal is more progressive there and he isn't. Cal is brutal, but Pj Washington doesn't scare. Sell.

2. Everything you said is as obvious as a 4000 lbs gorilla's ass. I'm sorry, it's not a knock on ya, I'm sure you work somewhere and talk to a few people, but all just fairly obvious.

Disappointing response. Almost sorry I gave you a like on yours.

Great post coach. I agree 100% with your comments on these kids. I train them every day at work. Not bad kids but just can’t take criticism at all. I also agree with your take on how basketball is changing. We need kids that can can shoot and are athletic. I remember the team AK had back in the 70’s. They could jump out of the gym and shoot, maybe that’s what we need. Kids that can rebound with bigs and shoot, I’ll take that everyday. The game is going more toward the way the NBA plays, we need to recruit kids that fit that profile. I also think we need to do a better job of assessing some of these 4 star kids that don’t play on the AAU circuit. Look at all of the teams that are in the top 25 each year, and count how many 5 stars they have. Alexander is a good example of a player we need to recruit. Love ya coach. Keep on keeping on. Do what I do and just ignore the buttholes, we do have a lot of them.

A couple interesting things in Coach's post.

1. Some players may leave because "it isn't working out". What does that mean exactly? Playing time? Personal issues with Cal?
2. Cal's sideline antics have been old for quite some time now. I'm 49 and the ridiculous yelling is probably the worst. In a quiet arena it's pretty embarrassing really. So, I can see how "soft" high school players might be turned off by it.
However, a zebra can't change his stripes and after all these years how does Cal change something that has likely become 2nd nature to him?

Anyone who doesn't think the program has some issues right now is just not accepting the reality of the situation. I really think the off-season will be the most important in Cal's coaching stint at UK. He HAS to change things or risk a slow, painful decline.

Reactions: Pluto is a Planet
Hello Wildcat fans.

Good post you made some great points of interest..!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT