ADVERTISEMENT

Coach here with a January Post.

Aug 23, 2016
Hello Wildcat fans.

Been a tough week for you all, and I seemed to raise a stir about some comments I made Sunday morning when I had a few minutes to check-in on this board. I’ve avoid posting and viewing lately because everytime I post it gets negative. Not just post by me, but people in general. Geez people, do you not realize you have one of the best programs and coaches in the nation? Maybe it’s the way I grew up and live, but life is so much better and more enjoyable when you’re positive.

So I figured I’ll post on some “rumors” that are not for certain to happen, but this is what I have heard. TAKE FOR A GRAIN OF SALT.

1. Assistant Coaching Comment- I have in fact heard that there has some fillers out to some younger coaches about who they could bring to Kentucky. Now, you have to realize that the job of an assistant is getting players to your school. In most circumstances, assistants lose their jobs if they can’t deliver for their head coach. If it’s not a NBA guy, look at top Nike school assistants.

2. As far as which coach leaves for UK. I assume unless Payne gets a head job, it’ll be Barbee. The young assistant Justus is supposedly doing well with connections with younger classes. This may not pay off this year, but in the next few years he will be seen as an asset. I know there is a relationship with Barbee. Just my reading between the lines.

3. NBA Comment- I have heard that several former NBA players WOULD be in play if any openings were too occur. It’s not fair to those guys that I mention anything because people obviously read these posts and rumors spread like wildfire. I as a coach wouldn’t want people spreading gossip that I’m leaving my kids in the middle of the season. I WILL say this: Look at the former NBA players who are active in coaching high level kids. NOT saying a new assistant WILL be a former league guy, just know there are some interest.

4. This Team- I’m shocked by this team in all honesty by the fact that they have won as much as they have. I think we all (including coaching staff” overrated the “SKILL” level of this Kentucky team. There isn’t a lot of good ball handling or other essential skills that are needed to win in March. This includes basketball IQ, which is one of my top qualities I look for in players. Blame Cal, blame AAU, blame whoever you want. However, these kids should know how to play basketball by now. This isn’t normal or typical for previous Coach Cal teams. Hopefully the return of Vanderbilt will help you all. He’s both skilled and has a high BBIQ.

5. Coach Cal- I think he should consider changing the type of players he recruits.. 5-10 years ago it was okay to bully people and get big bodies and just grind on them. Now the game is being much more finesse, and the skill and shooting levels of non-elite players are higher than even. The game is going more towards floor spacing, driving, then kick-out jump shots. You combine that with UK’s length and lacking of lateral quickness, you get a more level playing field Just an outsider looking on, it seems like UK hasn’t recruited guys like that in past few years. Basketball is an ever changing game, coaches adapt to what's working. For example, the match-up zone was a big thing just a few years ago. You got to adapt.

6. Recruiting (The big one)- I think the Kentucky brand is no longer the “IT” school right now. Other schools are finding more and more ways to outduel UK on the trail. I think part of it is that Coach Cal is now perceived as being too hard on his players(the antics on the sidelines). Look, I work with millenials all the time, they’re soft. Most can’t handle the kind of “old school” coaching that Cal does, it’s hurting him some with kids. I’m sure some of you all have kids that age, it’s just how this world is going. It makes them harder to coach. Another reason is the fact more kids are having success staying close to home.

7. Next Year Cats- I think the three they currently have will help next year. They all are highly skilled and smart players who can score in multiple ways. Keldon and Quickley are top 10 in my mind. Herro is a great outside shooter that could be a big time player. I also think you’ll see 3-4 leave. A couple because of the NBA, and a couple because it’s just not working out.

You guys have a top 5 coach in America, sure you guys are getting more critical of him, and rightfully so. However if you don’t think that Coach Cal is going to just sit back and not take some type of action and change some things this offseason, then you don’t know how he operates. He now has some pressure on him, which is probably good for everyone.

For those wanting a new coach, you won’t get a better package of everything involved within a coach than Cal. However, my first call would be to Tony Bennett. He won’t be at Virginia too much longer. That’s the next great coach. Besides me of course ;)

Lastly, save the I’m fake or don’t know anything posts. The last post I made had enough of those and I’m sure I already know the haters feel. #FakeNews

I'll answer anything else I can, please @ me, so it'll show up in my alerts.

Hello Wildcat fans.

Been a tough week for you all, and I seemed to raise a stir about some comments I made Sunday morning when I had a few minutes to check-in on this board. I’ve avoid posting and viewing lately because everytime I post it gets negative. Not just post by me, but people in general. Geez people, do you not realize you have one of the best programs and coaches in the nation? Maybe it’s the way I grew up and live, but life is so much better and more enjoyable when you’re positive.

So I figured I’ll post on some “rumors” that are not for certain to happen, but this is what I have heard. TAKE FOR A GRAIN OF SALT.

1. Assistant Coaching Comment- I have in fact heard that there has some fillers out to some younger coaches about who they could bring to Kentucky. Now, you have to realize that the job of an assistant is getting players to your school. In most circumstances, assistants lose their jobs if they can’t deliver for their head coach. If it’s not a NBA guy, look at top Nike school assistants.

2. As far as which coach leaves for UK. I assume unless Payne gets a head job, it’ll be Barbee. The young assistant Justus is supposedly doing well with connections with younger classes. This may not pay off this year, but in the next few years he will be seen as an asset. I know there is a relationship with Barbee. Just my reading between the lines.

3. NBA Comment- I have heard that several former NBA players WOULD be in play if any openings were too occur. It’s not fair to those guys that I mention anything because people obviously read these posts and rumors spread like wildfire. I as a coach wouldn’t want people spreading gossip that I’m leaving my kids in the middle of the season. I WILL say this: Look at the former NBA players who are active in coaching high level kids. NOT saying a new assistant WILL be a former league guy, just know there are some interest.

4. This Team- I’m shocked by this team in all honesty by the fact that they have won as much as they have. I think we all (including coaching staff” overrated the “SKILL” level of this Kentucky team. There isn’t a lot of good ball handling or other essential skills that are needed to win in March. This includes basketball IQ, which is one of my top qualities I look for in players. Blame Cal, blame AAU, blame whoever you want. However, these kids should know how to play basketball by now. This isn’t normal or typical for previous Coach Cal teams. Hopefully the return of Vanderbilt will help you all. He’s both skilled and has a high BBIQ.

5. Coach Cal- I think he should consider changing the type of players he recruits.. 5-10 years ago it was okay to bully people and get big bodies and just grind on them. Now the game is being much more finesse, and the skill and shooting levels of non-elite players are higher than even. The game is going more towards floor spacing, driving, then kick-out jump shots. You combine that with UK’s length and lacking of lateral quickness, you get a more level playing field Just an outsider looking on, it seems like UK hasn’t recruited guys like that in past few years. Basketball is an ever changing game, coaches adapt to what's working. For example, the match-up zone was a big thing just a few years ago. You got to adapt.

6. Recruiting (The big one)- I think the Kentucky brand is no longer the “IT” school right now. Other schools are finding more and more ways to outduel UK on the trail. I think part of it is that Coach Cal is now perceived as being too hard on his players(the antics on the sidelines). Look, I work with millenials all the time, they’re soft. Most can’t handle the kind of “old school” coaching that Cal does, it’s hurting him some with kids. I’m sure some of you all have kids that age, it’s just how this world is going. It makes them harder to coach. Another reason is the fact more kids are having success staying close to home.

7. Next Year Cats- I think the three they currently have will help next year. They all are highly skilled and smart players who can score in multiple ways. Keldon and Quickley are top 10 in my mind. Herro is a great outside shooter that could be a big time player. I also think you’ll see 3-4 leave. A couple because of the NBA, and a couple because it’s just not working out.

You guys have a top 5 coach in America, sure you guys are getting more critical of him, and rightfully so. However if you don’t think that Coach Cal is going to just sit back and not take some type of action and change some things this offseason, then you don’t know how he operates. He now has some pressure on him, which is probably good for everyone.

For those wanting a new coach, you won’t get a better package of everything involved within a coach than Cal. However, my first call would be to Tony Bennett. He won’t be at Virginia too much longer. That’s the next great coach. Besides me of course ;)

Lastly, save the I’m fake or don’t know anything posts. The last post I made had enough of those and I’m sure I already know the haters feel. #FakeNews

People here would hate Bennetts offensive gameplan. Penny Hardaway and T-Mac are who I want as UK next assistant. And I know T-Mac is a pipe dream.

Hello Wildcat fans.

your 1st paragraph says it all....this site has gotten way to disrespectful...lost many gd posters

I have said for the past couple years call needs to bring in more skill and less high flyers.. Ill take Herro who is lower rated over the Diallo types..

I agree Cal needs to stop the yelling.It's not working with the pampered kids of today.Just like Bobby Knight's style came to an end... Yell a little in practice not in games when everyone is watching

Id like to see Barbee go .Bring in Rose or Penny

No thx on Bennett

I don't care if the rumors are true or if you're just making all of this up. At least you have some common sense about the state of the program, which is probably easier to do as an outsider looking in without that emotional attachment.

As for the NBA player turned assistant, the hot name is obviously Penny, but I wonder about Brandon Roy as well. Kids love the guy, and he's been successful at the HS level in his brief time.

Bennett will NEVER be the coach of Kentucky. His style of play is totally opposite of what is successful to win a championship.

I have thought for a while Cal's constant screaming on the sidelines and berating of players was going to eventually turn kids off... Not saying I agree with that but it's just reality. He does go overboard with it sometimes to this point it's almost embarrassing.

Bennett will NEVER be the coach of Kentucky. His style of play is totally opposite of what is successful to win a championship.
Well what if Bennett came to Ky and could recruit better players than he gets at VA....He would be an excellent choice...the best defensive team I have ever seen...I bet he would change his offense a little

Hello Wildcat fans.

Thanks coach. Don't necessarily agree with 4 tho. This actually has been the way several of Cals teams have done particularly 2014

When Cal decides to leave, which I hope isn't for along time, I would be fine with Bennett. He has to play that type of style at UVA because of the players who come there. This type of style let's him compete with the more talented rosters of the ACC (Duke, UNC, Miami, FSU etc.) He isn't getting the 5* players, but he makes the most of what he gets. He gets them to buy in defensively right when they get there, which is the hardest thing to do with high school players. If he came here, got some good assistants to bring in high level talent, he would have the ability to switch his offensive style, while getting his players to lock down defensively. Many on this board hate on Bennett. I like him as a coach and would absolutely take him.

And thanks for the post. Many on here appreciate your effort.

Last edited:
Coach,

Thanks for the post. Not sure why some people can't just read and move on without giving their passive aggressive b/s comments. I like reading your posts whether I agree or not because they are typically well thought out and written.

Thanks for contributing.

Well what if Bennett came to Ky and could recruit better players than he gets at VA....He would be an excellent choice...the best defensive team I have ever seen...I bet he would change his offense a little
Very good point. I was thinking the same thing. Or, he could be like an ex UK Coach, and just claim the team is gonna run more during every offseason. [laughing]

Coach Cal- I think he should consider changing the type of players he recruits.. 5-10 years ago it was okay to bully people and get big bodies and just grind on them. Now the game is being much more finesse, and the skill and shooting levels of non-elite players are higher than even. The game is going more towards floor spacing, driving, then kick-out jump shots. You combine that with UK’s length and lacking of lateral quickness, you get a more level playing field Just an outsider looking on, it seems like UK hasn’t recruited guys like that in past few years. Basketball is an ever changing game, coaches adapt to what's working. For example, the match-up zone was a big thing just a few years ago. You got to adapt.

This is the only thing Coach said I misunderstood....I am not sure I see these big bodies he is talking about...most of our guys need to add about 20 - 30 pounds...

Bennett's style is a disgrace to basketball and I don't care how much he wins with it. The UK football team is already a chore to watch as they grind it out even against D2 opponents, if we have to watch basketball do that too this fanbase will die en masse of boredom.

It isn't going to happen, why would he reclass when he'd have to play 2 years at UK?
Better than playing another year of HS and 1 college season isn't it?
But why would he have to play 2 years? Bagley can leave after this year.

Reactions: Dablueman
Coach,

BTW--I do find your comment about Cal being too hard on the kids interesting. I think it is more than just a generational thing. I think to his core, Coach Cal wants to see these young men reach their full potential. What they have in front of them is there for the taking but there are thousands of others that want that same brass ring. It has to be extremely frustrating when a young man comes to your program to get better, you know you can help him and they just don't seem to want the help sometimes.

I believe Cal really wants it so bad for the kids and sometimes you just want it more than the kid does for himself. When that happens, damn that is frustrating.

See his comment in the presser. Paraphrasing that "we are not about socialism here", "if you believe the university and state will take care of you, I have some swamp land to sell you". "Here we prepare you to depend on yourself and bring others along".

Last edited:
I don't understand why Cal would replace an assistant for another solely for recruiting more elite players if, as you said, the game is going towards a finesse game with better shooters (who're historically lower down in the rankings) leading the way. I don't think UK/Cal would have any trouble picking up great shooters who are in the 10-35 range of rankings. No need to give up a sound coach for a hired recruiting gun if we're not going to need to use him/her for recruiting.

Hello Wildcat fans.

Fake news never sounded better!

Reactions: struggler
I dont appreciate some yahoo trying to stop me from calling him fake news before I can call him fake news.... damn it.

it is a fun new way to take HOB information and bring it to the free board without getting it deleted or getting a time out / ban.

Im just messing with ya Coach.... thanks for the info

Reactions: JFCats22
Tony Bennett can coach. He would get better players here than he does at Virginia for sure. Not as good as Cal but better than Tunby did. He is extremely disciplined and a very strong Christian. Our AD would love him. He has no scandals, a great family, and has won with next to no talent at WSU. I was there during his tenure and he gets the maximum effort out of his players. Style is deliberate but effective. He is his Dad's disciple with a lot more grace and tact. I believe UK fans would learn to love him if he would ever be given the chance. Been a UK fan since 66 and have followed college ball earnestly since that time. Ive seen many different styles in coaching that can produce W's. Cals ways have worked for him until recently. He doesn't need to reinvent himself but he does need to continually be transforming. I think this season has given him the smelling salts that will awaken the "best version of himself Cal"

I have thought for a while Cal's constant screaming on the sidelines and berating of players was going to eventually turn kids off... Not saying I agree with that but it's just reality. He does go overboard with it sometimes to this point it's almost embarrassing.

Yet Coach K doesn't have that thought of him, even though he does it as much as anyone.

Hello Wildcat fans.

Nothing controversial in that post. :)

ADVERTISEMENT