ADVERTISEMENT

CJ

That is why I think he returns. It’s going to be hard for him to play that bad 2 years in a row.
This is what has me kinda wanting him back. Regression to the mean. Is he a 47% 3pt shooter, probably not. But I'm certain he's also not a 32% 3pt shooter. If mostly healthy, which is a big IF for him, I think he has >50% chance to be at least a 40% 3pt shooter. But I think we now know you can't depend on him as one of our top 8 guys, but if he plays/shoots his way into that mix then great (I hope we have 11-12 guys do that).

And he was getting some open looks this year, and missing those. Actually he played smart and didn't force too many tough 3's.

I hope CJ wants to play another year. He put up some good stats this year, 92% FT, 41 Ast, 14 Stls and only 14 TO. Plays decent defense. What if he's fully healthy next season and shoots 45% from 3. It would be nice to have him off the bench for spot minutes.
I hope he comes back another year too, but I don't think anyone should ever expect a fully 100% healthy CJ Frederick. Some people just unlucky with injuries and he is one of those guys. With him It's hard to even guage how good he is or could be because where he sit out so much and missed so much time... he's missed a full season then bounced back then hurt again and again and it takes it toll mentally as well as physically. Sometimes less is more and that's what it's gonna have to be for CJ but I think he can help us and come up big at times in that role. I think he definitely willing to play that role.

Word on the street is Blair is coming back to finish her master's so CJ will be back as well. This from my daughter's co-worker who has family member in the athletics dept

Not sure I follow the logic. If you are bad you are capable of playing bad an infinite number of years in a row. He seemed slow and intimidated all year. Nothing is likely to change that.
He wasn't bad before he got here. As a matter of fact, according to evanmiya.com, he had the 12th best Offensive Bayesian Performance Rating in all of Division I his last year at Iowa, and was 78th in overall Bayesian Performance Rating. His terrible luck with injuries totally destroyed his last 2 seasons. Table below is sorted by OBPR.

image.png

Here are the definitions of these metrics:
  • OBPR: Offensive Bayesian Performance Rating reflects the offensive value a player brings to his team when he is on the court. This rating incorporates a player's individual efficiency stats and on-court play-by-play impact, and also accounts for the offensive strength of other teammates on the floor with him, along with the defensive strength of the opponent's players on the floor. OBPR is interpreted as the number of offensive points per 100 possessions above D1 average expected by the player's team if the player were on the court with 9 other average players. A higher rating is better.
  • DBPR: Defensive Bayesian Performance Rating reflects the defensive value a player brings to his team when he is on the court. This rating incorporates a player's individual efficiency stats and on-court play-by-play impact, and also accounts for the defensive strength of other teammates on the floor with him, along with the offensive strength of the opponent's players on the floor. DBPR is interpreted as the number of defensive points per 100 possessions better than (below) D1 average expected to be allowed by the player's team if the player were on the court with 9 other average players. A higher rating is better.
  • BPR: Bayesian Performance Rating is the sum of a player's OBPR and DBPR. This rating is the ultimate measure of a player's overall value to his team when he is on the floor. BPR is interpreted as the number of points per 100 possessions better than the opponent the player's team is expected to be if the player were on the court with 9 other average players. A higher rating is better.

If he comes back I don’t expect him back to play well considering his coach doesn’t draw up plays to set up shooters like him (set shooter). I also don’t expect him to stay healthy enough to complete a season of college ball.
Cal runs plays for shooters all game

CJ had many open looks.

This offense didn’t stifle Quickley or Maxey.

Why did it stifle CJ and Allen?

Cal runs plays for shooters all game

CJ had many open looks.

This offense didn’t stifle Quickley or Maxey.

Why did it stifle CJ and Allen?
I have seen very few set plays run by Cal. And we only learn one defense.

The great coaches adapt their offense and defense to their players. Cal’s one size fits all mentality has proven to be bad for quite a number of his players. I can’t think of any player who transferred from Cal and ended up playing worse at their destination. A large majority of them ended up performing better at their destination and quite a few became the star/a star of their program.

You don’t need a roster of future NBA players to make it a FF or championship game if your coach knows how to use the tools he assembled. I bet most other HoF coaches would’ve implemented a zone defense to switch to if they had this team.

I don’t think it’s all on Cal. Obviously these guys thought they were up to task of being coached by him. But it didn’t work out and UK pays Cal $9 mil to make it work out. So I’m not sure what to tell you. Even if you’re right, Cal still recruited them and failed to get the best out of them.

I hope CJ wants to play another year. He put up some good stats this year, 92% FT, 41 Ast, 14 Stls and only 14 TO. Plays decent defense. What if he's fully healthy next season and shoots 45% from 3. It would be nice to have him off the bench for spot minutes.

I agree. He is an 8 to 10 minute a game player. That's all we need.

Would love to have CJ back, however he is trying to get his shot off in the most athletic and best defensive league in CBB. It is a big difference getting open looks vs. Big 10 teams.

Reactions: megablue
How would you know? Cal never attempted to run plays to get him open.
I thought he had many open shots. True, he wasn't the focal point of the offense but come on, he had open shot opportunities. He had many as a matter of fact. He just couldn't make them at a reasonable percentage. I would still like to have him back though.

Would love to have CJ back, however he is trying to get his shot off in the most athletic and best defensive league in CBB. It is a big difference getting open looks vs. Big 10 teams.
He got plenty of looks this year. He was 2nd only to Reeves in 3pt attempts per 40 min, and Wallace was a distant 3rd.

The problem before his injuries was simply not getting enough reps playing against the better defenders he saw starting with Mich St. Remember, before the start of the season Cal stated that Wheeler and Wallace were going up against each other at PG in practice, so my guess is that CJ and Reeves were covering each other. I think if CJ and been getting covered by Wallace in practice he would have been much better prepared for the likes of Mich St., Gonzaga, and UCLA at the start of the season.

And then he dislocated his finger on his shooting hand, and his first game back without having to wear the splint against Florida, he hits his first three 3s but cracks his ribs, hindering him for the rest of the season.

Just a run of bad luck. A lot of Iowa fans hate him for transferring. My guess is there are some well-used voodoo dolls out there.

Charmin enough to have a broke rib by just barely touching a camera. Not to mention his 4000 other injuries. If he looked at someone hard, his eyeball fell out.
Barely touching a camera? Dude, the guy was running full speed down the court and got knocked out of bounds on the layup. I think he actually landed hard on the cameraman's knee that was sticking up.

Charmin enough to have a broke rib by just barely touching a camera. Not to mention his 4000 other injuries. If he looked at someone hard, his eyeball fell out.
Come on, man. This really isn't fair. If you break a rib hitting a camera, then it wasn't by barely touching it. Injuries happen, that one isn't chalked up to being soft. I have had a cracked rib, it's a painful injury.

How would you know? Cal never attempted to run plays to get him open.
Despite cal running plays to get him open CJ still had a lot of good looks and many looked great but would rim out. I honestly think a lot of his problems were just kind of not being able to see a few go down to get some rhythm. I think it's one of those things where if there was more season to play out and he had more shooting opportunities he could have eventually gotten red hot to where his percentages balanced out. I would take him back and give him more opportunities with the freshmen we have coming in. He definitely wouldn't be a starter but I could see him getting that knock down shooting ability back especially if the team would get early leads and take pressure off.

Reactions: KFuqua
Come on, man. This really isn't fair. If you break a rib hitting a camera, then it wasn't by barely touching it. Injuries happen, that one isn't chalked up to being soft. I have had a cracked rib, it's a painful injury.
Nobody said it wasn’t painful, they are. What I’m saying is the kid didn’t hit the camera hard enough to break a rib. I wrestle fight with my boys and hit them harder than that in the ribs. It shouldn’t have broke with that minimal force

• Haha
Who cares? Guy could not stay healthy and can't hit the broad side of a barn under pressure so he can kick rocks...

You want this guy on the team and the ball comes to his hand and we're in the NCAA tournament and we need a shot to go in? Do you?

Reactions: DeerTurkHunter1
Who cares? Guy could not stay healthy and can't hit the broad side of a barn under pressure so he can kick rocks...

You want this guy on the team and the ball comes to his hand and we're in the NCAA tournament and we need a shot to go in? Do you?
Yes.

Early this year he was very rusty, having not played against quality defense for over 18 months, so he struggled with Mich. St., Gonzaga, etc. Before he could get into a rhythm, he dislocated his finger. When that finally healed to the point he could take off the splint, he broke his ribs (after hitting his first three 3s against UF).

At Iowa he did things like score 21, going 5-7 from 3, against UNC. Thats just 2 fewer points than UNC's starting guards Caleb Love and RJ Davis had *combined*.

Early in his R/S freshman year, he had 16 against DePaul, 10 against Texas Tech (5 were clutch in the last 1:29, after Tech had whittled Iowa's lead from 10 down to 2 and had all the momentum), and 16 against a very good San Diego St. team (they finished 30-2 that year).

He also had big games in Big Ten play against Michigan (21), Illinois (18), Wisconsin (17), Minnesota (23), Northwestern (19), Penn St. (18).

So yes, he's way overdue for some good luck and good health, and if he can get back even close to where he was at Iowa he could make major contributions.

Yes.

Early this year he was very rusty, having not played against quality defense for over 18 months, so he struggled with Mich. St., Gonzaga, etc. Before he could get into a rhythm, he dislocated his finger. When that finally healed to the point he could take off the splint, he broke his ribs (after hitting his first three 3s against UF).

At Iowa he did things like score 21, going 5-7 from 3, against UNC. Thats just 2 fewer points than UNC's starting guards Caleb Love and RJ Davis had *combined*.

Early in his R/S freshman year, he had 16 against DePaul, 10 against Texas Tech (5 were clutch in the last 1:29, after Tech had whittled Iowa's lead from 10 down to 2 and had all the momentum), and 16 against a very good San Diego St. team (they finished 30-2 that year).

He also had big games in Big Ten play against Michigan (21), Illinois (18), Wisconsin (17), Minnesota (23), Northwestern (19), Penn St. (18).

So yes, he's way overdue for some good luck and good health, and if he can get back even close to where he was at Iowa he could make major contributions.
No, he will never make major contributions unless he goes to Morehead or Eastern, he can’t play basketball, he just can’t.

• Haha
It interesting how some fans don't get that we need experienced players to know where to set screens, position themselves, have fundamentals in passing and knowing when, etc. If you are all hyped about the MdD's game pay attention to where were those fundamentals. Even D.J. made some poor passes or fell several times trying to cut too quickly. Plus, there was no such thing as a screen although I understand it wasn't a team and an allstar contest.

CJ was probably the best entry passer to the post on the team last year, at least ran the set plays and screens, but it's true he did miss open looks. To me it looked several times like they were coaching him to have a quick release which seemed a big mistake to me. You can watch his offense at Iowa and he was dead on but it was a slightly slower shot motion. The point that it was rare that they ran a screen for him is true and early in the season it was frustrating as the one time they did he was dead on.

If you think this team is going to win the SEC and anything else with these Freshman only, dream on.

It interesting how some fans don't get that we need experienced players to know where to set screens, position themselves, have fundamentals in passing and knowing when, etc. If you are all hyped about the MdD's game pay attention to where were those fundamentals. Even D.J. made some poor passes or fell several times trying to cut too quickly. Plus, there was no such thing as a screen although I understand it wasn't a team and an allstar contest.

CJ was probably the best entry passer to the post on the team last year, at least ran the set plays and screens, but it's true he did miss open looks. To me it looked several times like they were coaching him to have a quick release which seemed a big mistake to me. You can watch his offense at Iowa and he was dead on but it was a slightly slower shot motion. The point that it was rare that they ran a screen for him is true and early in the season it was frustrating as the one time they did he was dead on.

If you think this team is going to win the SEC and anything else with these Freshman only, dream on.
The same people who are super excited about the incoming freshmen also thought we would be great because we dominated in the Bahamas. Tells you everything you need to know.

I don’t know if it’s lack of set plays but just an overall lack of confidence that Cal has in CJ and IMO that gets in his head —- much like Cal did with Derek Willis . You play any head games with shooters you might cause them to not shoot their best .. whether it’s subconscious or conscious, it affects you .
Having said that if CJ is happy here at UK , then stay , if not , go be happy somewhere . But the guy can play when healthy , I hope he stays and has a shockingly good year .
Is that why Cal implored CJ to keep shooting because of Cal's lack of confidence in CJ's shooting?...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT