ADVERTISEMENT

CI Wrestling Thread #56

If Jericho can be reigned in, he can be of some value.

Broken (down) Matt Hardy should be no where on anyone’s tv unless he’s a road agent breaking up fights
I think he would have been reigned in by now - his ego is too big and being one of if not the first AEW signings I think he thinks his current standing is bigger than it actually is.

Reactions: UKWildcatT
Toni exposed her gimmick there. I thought she was "broken" and lived in a black and white world, yet she wanted her promo to be in color. So she's faking everything? Her gimmick doesn't make sense.

- FTR vs the Bucks. The build involves Punk and Perry and apparently FTR was behind the Punk stuff and the Bucks lost that match because they weren't able to pray beforehand because of all the backstage drama. That's your story for this lol. Stupid.
- Pac vs Okada. A guy who rarely shows up (visa issues?) vs the supposed best in the world who's beaten Kingston for a meaningless belt and some jobbers. No build.
- Danielson vs Ospreay. 30 min. of holds, dives, and 42 kick-outs. It will get 7 stars by Tues. and will be match of the year several months from now with both Danielson and Ospreay winning several other categories on the Observer ballot. Seriously, this will be great if they don't kill each other with stupid risk moves but I personally don't care because there's no build here. You can't live off dream matches.
Joe vs Swerve. Joe hasn't done much as champion and his reign is forgettable. Swerve is solid but unfortunately doesn't draw and he shouldn't have the Embassy and a tiny manager who does a silly dance around him. Towards the end, MJF's reign sucked and Joe's reign is likely to be what Priest's reign is...just there. Hopefully Swerve brings more to the table and not more Page matches but again, dude doesn't draw. That's an issue if you're world champion.
Sir, the broken gimmick is Matt Hardy and he is in TNA. No wonder it doesn't make sense to you since you're too incompetent to recognize the difference.

Congrats to Swerve…

…If Tony’s motto is to give the fans what they want the fans chanted “please retire” during the Jericho match the only way it makes any sense is if it’s hook’s last match in AEW.

Reactions: GeraldV
Heck of a show last night, I kept thinking Hangman was going to show up and cost Swerve the title, glad that didn't happen.
Jericho has been one of my favorite all-time wrestlers but he needs to go away for a while. The crowd chanting "please retire" and "Fozzy sucks" was cracking me up.

As you all said unless Hook is leaving that didn't make any sense. I was hoping for Taz to get involved some way.

Reactions: AmericanDragon
Stole the PPV like it was 2010 again to see Danielson/Osprey.

Solid show. Danielson/Osprey was match of the night and likely MOTY. Nobody works an injury angle like Danielson.

Results of the Bucks match with a returning Jack Perry was very predictable. The Bucks are still must skip TV for me. They have Nia Jax go away heat with me no matter if the on screen character is heel or babyface.

I was happy for Swerve and thought that was a really good Joe match. Hope Swerve has a nice reign.

The rest of the show was fine, but nothing really stood out as spectacular. Jericho needs to hang em up. Looks like shit, work is mid to poor and the fans are tired of him.

Jericho is a 2010's WWE character living in a 2024 promotion who largely dislikes WWE, so his schtick doesn't fit there and likely wouldn't fit in current WWE. I have no idea what the Painmaker gimmick means or why anyone wants to travel back in time with him to relive the Lionheart version of himself. His part time rock lifestyle doesn't jive with the wrestling part either because when he gets around his aging rock buddies who were big in the 80's, while they're chilling with their families, I have a feeling Jericho is drinking like he's back in 1990 because he shows back up in AEW a sweaty, bloated, and slow mess.

Reactions: AmericanDragon
Jericho is a 2010's WWE character living in a 2024 promotion who largely dislikes WWE, so his schtick doesn't fit there and likely wouldn't fit in current WWE. I have no idea what the Painmaker gimmick means or why anyone wants to travel back in time with him to relive the Lionheart version of himself. His part time rock lifestyle doesn't jive with the wrestling part either because when he gets around his aging rock buddies who were big in the 80's, while they're chilling with their families, I have a feeling Jericho is drinking like he's back in 1990 because he shows back up in AEW a sweaty, bloated, and slow mess.
My suspicion is that they gave him such a big contract when he originally signed to "legitimize" AEW that he's had the loudest voice in the rom ever since, and no one stand up against his opinions. Wasn't he the highest paid guy when they started, or in the handful of highest paid guys?

My suspicion is that they gave him such a big contract when he originally signed to "legitimize" AEW that he's had the loudest voice in the rom ever since, and no one stand up against his opinions. Wasn't he the highest paid guy when they started, or in the handful of highest paid guys?
You're correct on all fronts. I've heard it was a 10 year deal which I suppose means he'd have around 5 years left. Of course that's just what's been rumored. I don't hate the guy but it's been clear for a long time that there isn't a plan in place, ever. TK trusts him completely and he likely has full control of his creative, so we get JAS, alternating gimmicks, and random 50/50 feuds that go nowhere. He's got some old school wrestling politician in him as well and in a youngish locker room, he's taken advantage of that.

Raw for this evening

The new Women's World Champion will be crowned in a Battle Royal.
WWE World Tag Team Champions The Miz & R-Truth will make their first championship defense vs. DIY.
Judgment Day's Dominik Mysterio & JD McDonagh vs. Andrade & Ricochet.

Oh, and I know I pretty much trashed the Dynasty card yesterday but I'm honestly glad it's getting crazy good reviews. I can't imagine anyone disliking Swerve and him as champion is hopefully what kickstarts AEW in a more positive direction. The Punk/Perry footage decision aside, it's actually given Perry a purpose and even though all three are putz's, Perry and the Bucks are one effective, hateful trio. I'm sure Tony will want Ospreay to take the title at Wembley but I'd hold off. I don't think he needs the world title anytime soon. It took Cody two years. Let momentum build and build for Ospreay and give it to him in August '25.

Oh, and I know I pretty much trashed the Dynasty card yesterday but I'm honestly glad it's getting crazy good reviews. I can't imagine anyone disliking Swerve and him as champion is hopefully what kickstarts AEW in a more positive direction. The Punk/Perry footage decision aside, it's actually given Perry a purpose and even though all three are putz's, Perry and the Bucks are one effective, hateful trio. I'm sure Tony will want Ospreay to take the title at Wembley but I'd hold off. I don't think he needs the world title anytime soon. It took Cody two years. Let momentum build and build for Ospreay and give it to him in August '25.
I can understand the holding off thing. But at the same time if you hold off you can miss the window capitalizing at the hottest time. Just putting a title on someone isn’t enough to get the spark going again all on its own. And as we all are well aware of, TK’s track record for being able to keep someone hot for the long term is pretty poor.

Raw for this evening

The new Women's World Champion will be crowned in a Battle Royal.
WWE World Tag Team Champions The Miz & R-Truth will make their first championship defense vs. DIY.
Judgment Day's Dominik Mysterio & JD McDonagh vs. Andrade & Ricochet.
Idk why they are doing a battle royal - it won’t be anyone other than Becky/liv/nia unless they bring someone out of nowhere like Alexa bliss.

Danielson-Ospreay had about as high of expectations as I’ve ever had for a match, perhaps unfairly and unrealistically high, and somehow those sons of bit¢hes managed to exceed those expectations. That was a generational match.

An all-timer PPV. Only stupid/bad thing was Jericho inexplicably winning. Willow-Julia match wasn’t much, but Julia was banged up and she isn’t exactly a great worker to begin with to say the least. So not surprised it was a short, forgettable match but the right person won.

Strong TV shows last week as well.

And lastly, we got thru a PPV week without any off screen/presser bullshit. Remarkable. A big W of a week for AEW.

Reactions: GeraldV
Idk why they are doing a battle royal - it won’t be anyone other than Becky/liv/nia unless they bring someone out of nowhere like Alexa bliss.
Regular battle royals might be the worst all time gimmick match. Just a cluster **** or boringness until the field gets whittled down to like 4 grapplers. And trust this is no Fed-is-bad thing, I hate when AEW wastes my time with them too. If I never saw another battle royal I could live in bliss.

Haven’t been here in a while, is Kenny Omega a household name yet? Did AEW need or not need CM Punk?

The only people that may, even remotely, be a household name in AEW are Chris Jericho and Danielson. I think more Jericho since he’s done pop culture stuff.

My wife would know him, but never watched wrestling, but couldn’t pick Danielson out of a lineup

Reactions: Crystalglass
You can pretty much count on one hand the number of “active” wrestlers that are household names that can be recognized on the street - Rock, Cena, and Logan Paul. Cody could get there.

Roman might would have a chance if he wasn’t the doppelgänger of the far more widely known Jason Mamoa.

You basically have to be a mover and a shaker outside of wrestling to become a household name these days. No one becomes a household name if all they are doing is getting a few minutes of TV time a week on a show being watched by between 1.6-2.3 million people.

I know some people that know who Roman Reigns is because of football. Similar to Goldberg in that whenever he’s in Atlanta the local media always makes a deal because he played for Georgia Tech. So for example my brother and his wife know who he is but couldn’t name an active wrestler in the past 20 years.

Reactions: Wesley91581
I know some people that know who Roman Reigns is because of football. Similar to Goldberg in that whenever he’s in Atlanta the local media always makes a deal because he played for Georgia Tech. So for example my brother and his wife know who he is but couldn’t name an active wrestler in the past 20 years.
Yeah and there’s the key, LOCAL media. Neither one of those guys are anywhere remotely close to household names for their middling football careers.

Drop Roman in a place like Phoenix where no one gives a damn about his football career and you’d be lucky to find a single person that knows Roman due to football.

Reactions: WildcatFan1982
It's not that I want Nia Jax to get hurt. I just want her on the 30 minutes of RAW that gets cut when I watch on Hulu the next day like I do most of the time.

Edit: Why? Because she can't even power bomb someone through the table properly because she overshot that on Becky and she landed on the back of her head.

Wasn't it Meltzer who said a couple of weeks ago that Jericho shouldn't be losing any matches unless it's against top competition?

• Haha
Yeah and there’s the key, LOCAL media. Neither one of those guys are anywhere remotely close to household names for their middling football careers.

Drop Roman in a place like Phoenix where no one gives a damn about his football career and you’d be lucky to find a single person that knows Roman due to football.

I actually watched the today show the morning after mania. Cody was on there for about 5 minutes and it was pretty much ‘ooh look at the shiny belts’ and that was it. Kind of funny after hyping him.

My thing with Jericho is that he was great and deserves all the flowers. He still is very good but time is catching up. I'm sure he will even admit that but the ego is still that of 2007 Chris Jericho. He needs to humble himself a bit and take a step back. I will give him credit on how he keeps reinventing himself or rehashing himself. That said, the Lionheart version doesn't really do it for me. WCW Chris Jericho was a good talent in the ring but was just another dime a dozen cruiserweight when it was the masked luchadors getting all the hype in that division. I think he really took off as a personality when he came to WWF and got a push.

I like seeing Swerve getting the title.

I freely admit that I didn't watch the match. I know Daniel Bryan and Osprey are both uber talented but I have a feeling without knowing how it went that I wouldn't be a fan of the match. Credit to them because if it went how I believe it did, there is a huge wrestling population that loves that style. I'm sure it stole the show. Just probably wasn't my cup of tea although I'll watch it when i get a chance.

We all know im a WWF guy but try to keep up with some of what's going on with AEW. I still hate the bucks and think they're atrocious both in ring and out of ring. Why are they and Jack Perry so persistent about keeping the CM Punk stuff going? He will mention it if asked but I highly doubt he gives the first damn about what 3 155 lb twerps with goofy facial hair and pony tails are doing. Kenny has even risen above the petty BS. They just need to focus on making their product better and continue to provide a solid alternative company to the boys.

Speaking of Omega:

I was doing my notes for the upcoming cornette show and we have a segment of more Kenny playing video games and commenting on things.

I’d never even heard of this Rossy Ogawa until a couple months ago, but omega is literally calling him a Pedo, lol. I know he was some owner and is opening some new Japanese Womens promotion, but when you hear the segment, it definitely sounds creepy.

Omega talking freely about stuff while playing video games has been pretty interesting.
Ogawa ran Stardom for years and has a new promotion starting now. He posted something about looking for attractive girls between 13 and 30 for his new group.

Two more WWE releases, Cameron Grimes and Von Wagner.

Sensational Sherri is the subject of Dark Side Of The Ring tonight.

Omega talking freely about stuff while playing video games has been pretty interesting.
Ogawa ran Stardom for years and has a new promotion starting now. He posted something about looking for attractive girls between 13 and 30 for his new group.

I actually kind of liked that Cameron Grimes the couple times I saw him as the Million Dollar Man’s flunky or friend or whatever.

I know that Von Wagner is one of the Beverly Brother's son. He looks like some big cro-magnon. He would've been the head of the company had he wrestled during his dad's era seeing as how vince loved gimmicks. Give him a fuzzy cave man outfit and a club, then there you go.

I saw a Sherri clip today…

She was on of my fav Womens wrestlers, but had no idea she abandoned her THREE MONTH OLD baby because she wanted to be a wrestler. Truly disturbing stuff

Reactions: Col. Angus
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT