ADVERTISEMENT

CI Wrestling Thread #56

- The Ricochet/McDonagh match was fantastic.

- If Raw was a preview of what we'll see on Netflix, I'm excited. We're seeing Attitude Era numbers again and they're allowing a select few to say whatever they want. It's insane how things changed for the better once Punk and Rock returned and Dunn retired (plus the sex pest isn't around anymore). Just the last few weeks seeing the evolution of Rock's entrance has been impressive.

- Punk, Rollins, Drew...surprise surprise. It's like they're grown adults who were willing to put business first for the fans and to help improve the company they work for. True, he may end up being CM Glass, but he's elevated the games of Rollins and Drew just by being around. SummerSlam may end up being Punk vs Drew, Cody vs Rock.
Richochets match got high marks on cage match

Last I saw Monday's show was the third highest rated Raw ever on Cagematch.

If you're interested Brutus Beefcake is tonight's episode of Dark Side Of The Ring.

Last I saw Monday's show was the third highest rated Raw ever on Cagematch.

If you're interested Brutus Beefcake is tonight's episode of Dark Side Of The Ring.
Inflated by WWE bots

But their reviews raise the question: have they seen a better Raw with someone else’s eyes since this was the best with their own eyes?

Of course there aren't AEW Bots. Everyone agrees that fat tub of goo Eddie Kingston is better then Kurt Angle per Meltzer and his disciples

Reactions: Wesley91581
Here is a partial list of wrestlers Cagematch ranks below Eddie Kingston

Brock Lesnar
Bruiser Brody
Tully Blanchard
Randy Orton
Kane
Austin Idol
Drew McIntyre
Diamond Dallas Page
Bobby Eaton
John Cena
Jeff Hardy
Sheamus
Jerry Lawler
Sabu
Cody Rhodes
Ernie Ladd
Paul Orndorff
Ric Martel
Stan Lane
Kevin Von Erich
Dusty Rhodes
Ole Anderson
Barry Windham

• Haha
Reactions: TheBlueCat

Brock Lesnar
Bruiser Brody
Tully Blanchard
Randy Orton
Kane
Austin Idol
Drew McIntyre
Diamond Dallas Page
Bobby Eaton
John Cena
Jeff Hardy
Sheamus
Jerry Lawler
Sabu
Cody Rhodes
Ernie Ladd
Paul Orndorff
Ric Martel
Stan Lane
Kevin Von Erich
Dusty Rhodes
Ole Anderson
Barry Windham
I enjoy watching wrestling but don't keep up with stuff like some of you guys do. With that said I don't know who runs "Cagematch" but their last name must be Kingston. 🤣

Raw did 1,729,000 viewers and a .57 on Monday.
The segment with Punk and Drew did 2.2 million.

Dynamite for tonight

AEW Tag Team Championship Tournament Quarter-Final: Private Party vs. The Young Bucks.
AEW Tag Team Championship Tournament Quarter-Final: Best Friends vs. Undisputed Kingdom.
Swerve Strickland vs. Konosuke Takeshita to determine the top contender for the AEW Championship.
Kris Statlander vs. Willow Nightingale vs. Skye Blue vs. Anna Jay to determine top contender to AEW TBS Championship.
Mercedes Mone on commentary during Four-Way bout.
Will Ospreay vs. Katsuyori Shibata.

Raw did 1,729,000 viewers and a .57 on Monday.
The segment with Punk and Drew did 2.2 million.

Dynamite for tonight

AEW Tag Team Championship Tournament Quarter-Final: Private Party vs. The Young Bucks.
AEW Tag Team Championship Tournament Quarter-Final: Best Friends vs. Undisputed Kingdom.
Swerve Strickland vs. Konosuke Takeshita to determine the top contender for the AEW Championship.
Kris Statlander vs. Willow Nightingale vs. Skye Blue vs. Anna Jay to determine top contender to AEW TBS Championship.
Mercedes Mone on commentary during Four-Way bout.
Will Ospreay vs. Katsuyori Shibata.
Will be funny if the Best Friends beat the Kingdom. Ever since MJF/Cole got involved with those ROH tag belts got involved with those belts have been buried to dust.

Brock Lesnar
Bruiser Brody
Tully Blanchard
Randy Orton
Kane
Austin Idol
Drew McIntyre
Diamond Dallas Page
Bobby Eaton
John Cena
Jeff Hardy
Sheamus
Jerry Lawler
Sabu
Cody Rhodes
Ernie Ladd
Paul Orndorff
Ric Martel
Stan Lane
Kevin Von Erich
Dusty Rhodes
Ole Anderson
Barry Windham

You got to be kidding me.

Great match but we really didn’t need Tony to yell “this was a 5 star match”

Will/shibata was good

Didn’t need Jackson’s to show up 2x

Mone still has offered nothing but dancing and boring mic work
Is Mone still injured? It makes no sense for her to still be on the sideline, what, 6 weeks or so in?

The cow can’t even get her own damn food. She’s gotta mooch off the people that have already paid for tickets like a ****in zoo animal. Like tossin a cookie to a hippo.

• Haha
Whoa - looks like it’ll be an interesting day on twitter

AEW has lasted longer than Eric Bischoff's entire tenures in WWE and TNA and longer than his tenure as booker in WCW.

He did so bad in TNA that they sent his ass home to sit out the remainder of his contract after running that company into the ground and WWE basically wrote him off TV after only three or four years lol

Last edited:
Ah...for some reason I thought it had been longer than that. My mistake. But I do hope they get her in a match sooner than later.
Given we're three weeks away from a PPV, I assume that's when her first match will be. Anything before then will just essentially be some random match.

Reactions: GeraldV
Given we're three weeks away from a PPV, I assume that's when her first match will be. Anything before then will just essentially be some random match.
I’m honestly not sure about that - they keep having her talk trash about willow and Julia hart stared her down but willow/julia have a match at the ppv?

Looks like Bischoff already has something new in the works.

Guessing something he might talk about is last night's Dynamite rating, and it wasn't good.

747,000 and a .23

Oof

Saw someone a few hours ago online call it - Tony is on the attack today so ratings must be under 800,000. SRS once blamed a Republican debate for a low Dynamite rating. AEW fans then blamed college sports, and now it's the NBA's fault. It's like trying to defend Cal at this point.

Not all, but I think many AEW fans have adopted TK's "everything is great" mindset. Everything AEW-related is a banger and almost every Dynamite is incredible and can't miss. If you criticize the product, you're a "fed drone", or WWE troll. Cagematch ratings and five stars given out are taken seriously while ears are plugged and eyes closed when the weekly ratings come out. As the niche audience stays in love with the current product, non-hardcores are running away every week. Meanwhile, Tony is spending untold millions on talent who can't move the needle but we're not supposed to talk about that because it's not our money and who cares. Shew...I said a while back that Dynamite could end up avg. in the 700,000s by year's end. They're there now. At this point I'm not entirely sure they'll ever see an avg. close to 900,000 again.

So here’s one point someone brought up that was illogical booking

Takeshita just lost to osprey but gets to compete in a #1 contender for AEW title match against Swerve

And Kingston dropped one of his meaningless belts to Okada but the Continental Classic is supposed to be a yearly thing so I guess the current champion at the end of the year will have to be in this long tournament? And rankings are back but didn't matter or make sense after two weeks. And Sting was given a tiny tag title run so he could retire as a champion and now there's another tournament, this time in spring after we just watched a very long singles points tournament in December. And Mercedes may end up with the TBS title at some point but what does that title mean to anyone? It'd be like WWF having a Spike Channel title back in the day.

At one point in Dumb and Dumber Jim Carrey screams, "No, and I don't care!" People don't care about tournaments not named King of the Ring, lower card belts, and rankings.

Let me ask this question:

Since Tony Khan is spending on a fortune on these new signings and there doesn't seem to be much improvement (yet), what else can he do to turn things around when it comes to ratings and attendance?

Let me ask this question:

Since Tony Khan is spending on a fortune on these new signings and there doesn't seem to be much improvement (yet), what else can he do to turn things around when it comes to ratings and attendance?
I think MJF or Omega returning healthy would cause ratings to rebound, but the extent of the bounce? I don't know if it would be 100K, 50K, or 10K.

Honestly, the product is pretty good IMO, so the continued ratings slide has me baffled.

Alright, this will be long and these are things that have been said before but I'm off tomorrow so I've got a little time. It's mainly lackluster and confusing booking, a lack of interesting stories, and the belief that bangerz = success. MJF was involved in Santino-like vignettes with Cole, was an ROH tag champion as the AEW world champion, and had the awful Devil storyline surrounding him, so just having MJF back for an occasional segment or match isn't a magic answer.

1) Split the roster. Make ROH or Rampage your Sunday Night Heat/OVW and promote those like WWE promotes NXT. Tomorrow's stars and such. Have set rosters for Dynamite and Collision so we don't have Star A on Dynamite for four straight weeks, then Collision for two, then Rampage, then back on Dynamite after a three week absence. WWE is uniform. No reason AEW needs to be the opposite.
2) Find and hire wrestling minds. They should be former, respected wrestlers and give them the book. Tony can have final say like Vince did, but it should've never been a mark and current talent making booking decisions.
3) Do personal interviews. Think Jim Ross/Mick Foley or what WWE did with Sami recently. Why should I care about some of these top talents? You're a great wrestler, so what? Lance Storm was a great wrestler too and in WWE no one cared.
4) Never mention WWE again. They've brought up Joe in rain gear as a commentator twice in recent months. We get it - he was injury prone in WWE and deserved more. That was years ago. Stop using WWE as a crutch.
5) Improve elements outside the ring like merch and tix sales. AEW, a newer, smaller promotion should never be more expensive than a ticket to Raw or SD.
6) Drop the constant gimmick matches, all the tournaments, the rankings system, the records, etc. You're not the NFL and this isn't the Playoffs.
7) Don't start and stop. Vince did that for years. As long as Wardlow is in AEW, I'm never going to give a shit about him. Why should I? He's been a lacky and chump for years. Now look at what WWE has done with Bron Breakker in NXT. He's a future world champion.

I could go on for an hour, seriously.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT