ADVERTISEMENT

CI Wrestling Thread #56

Color me surprised TK is actually having spring releases. I don't know who tf Jose The Assistant and Slim J are but it's needed unless you somehow think it's a positive to have a 400 person roster with no one seeing or having heard of 250 of them.

There is nothing in wrestling that I hate more than the "What?" chant, and I'm not even sure it's close.
The Office Thank You GIF

Listening to it is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. It is so bad that if I found a time machine that would allow me to go back into history and change 1 thing I would go back and stop that stupid chant by any means necessary.

Reactions: Col. Angus
The Undertaker had the perfect response to this:

“Say ‘What’ if you sleep with your sister.”

That’s cut straight out of the “say ‘huh’ for a biggun,” playbook we did back in middle school. [laughing] Might be problematic for the AEW crowd but you never know. [winking]
When opposing student sections are chanting LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT… SIT DOWN!!! When a player fouls out and walking to the bench, I’ve often wondered why said player didn’t just do a tap dance for a bit, fake sitting down and then stand back up, tap dance some more, fake sitting down… just **** with em.

Never seen anybody do it. I’d do it.

The student section where I used to coach would have a response to that. There were a few players that would fake sitting down or go stand by the water cooler. They would change the chant to:

“Drink the water, drink, drink the water!”

Or

“You can stand if you want , but you’re still in the bench; you can stand if you want, but you’re still on the bench.”

But a tap dance would be hilarious.

When I played at Madisonville North Hopkins, Henderson Co. always had the best fans. They would have fans sit on both sides of the court, one side would stand up and yell "taste great" the other side then would stand up and say "less filling." I was always amused by that chant. Also, when they had a lead at the end, the band would play a drum beat and then the fans would yell "crank the bus" at the end of the drum beat. It was if they practiced it, a true Pep Club, it was just perfectly done and on cue every time.

I haven't been to a WWE event since late Attitude Era but if you're there and the WHAT chant starts, I'm pretty sure you're going to join in. I don't think any of us would just stand there, tight-lipped, as 10,000-15,000 other fans around us do it. If anything, it's become a test for young wrestlers. If you can handle it and not get frazzled or even better be so engaging that fans stop and listen, then you've passed.

Reactions: Untouchables40
Anyone following the bleacher report goat list? I can’t link on here but tomorrow they’re posting the top 10 - I think they’ve revealed 100-11 so far.

When opposing student sections are chanting LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT… SIT DOWN!!! When a player fouls out and walking to the bench, I’ve often wondered why said player didn’t just do a tap dance for a bit, fake sitting down and then stand back up, tap dance some more, fake sitting down… just **** with em.

Never seen anybody do it. I’d do it.

I remember that happened at Rupp with maybe someone from UF or Arkansas in the early 2000s and the dude who fouled out didn’t sit down for the rest of the game. I kind of respected that.

Reactions: Col. Angus
Punk's interview must've really rattled some cages within AEW. Tony sent Copeland out there for a goodwill cheerleader speech and to kiss The Elite, Tony, and AEW's ass while at the same time looking into the camera as if he's speaking to Punk himself lol. That was weird and reminded me when Stephanie came out and urged "The Universe" to kiss Vince's ass during some of his...troubles. AEW didn't need to do a toxic positivity speech there.

Reactions: Wesley91581
Punk's interview must've really rattled some cages within AEW. Tony sent Copeland out there for a goodwill cheerleader speech and to kiss The Elite, Tony, and AEW's ass while at the same time looking into the camera as if he's speaking to Punk himself lol. That was weird and reminded me when Stephanie came out and urged "The Universe" to kiss Vince's ass during some of his...troubles. AEW didn't need to do a toxic positivity speech there.
Yup I wasn’t 100% paying attention but that’s how it came off

No rain in Philly for Wrestlemania but it looks like it will be in the 30’s and windy. Not sure why they do an outdoor Mania in the northeast
I always wondered that what if it rained or stormed especially now that it’s two days - that’s seems like an awful idea

Especially why not have it at cowboys stadium like they had a long time ago at Toronto sky dome

It’s almost like the one year they had the superbowl in New York/New Jersey and everyone was miserable

Last edited:
Yup I wasn’t 100% paying attention but that’s how it came off
AEW should put themselves over but that was a state of the union address because of CM Punk and maybe the firings on Monday (which is a reality in business). I occasionally read show threads for Raw, SD, and Dynamite and the Dynamite threads are usually over the top positive with a mix of aggression towards WWE fans and "haters" (even though it's only AEW hardcore fans posting). It reminds me of UofL message boards back when we were killing it and constantly in the top 10 and Louisville was struggling and no one was talking about them. AEW does get criticized too much but I think it's because with some changes here and there, they could be great. Not niche great but legit great.

#DaveMeltzer has said that #AEW's recent releases are 'concerning' following previous comments made by #TonyKhan:

"It does make sense, but at the same time, the one thing that I do remember, one of Tony Khan's things was if I sign you to a three year contract, you know you're with me for three years, unlike there where they can cut you any time.

"These are actual cuts. It concerns me in the sense that he has always been strong on that, and then there's cuts.

"The fact that these people were cut I totally understand because they weren't being used. They just signed three giant contracts, and all of these cuts combined was probably well under any of those people.

"As far as explanations, I don't have anything other than it's interesting because of what Tony said, but at the same time they have too many guys and they don't have television time for all of them, and it's unfortunate because some of those guys are very good, but they weren't being used."

(Wrestling Observer Radio)

They put more in that willow interview to care about her then they ever have before - they need more of that even if it’s a vignette - it’s about being invested in the characters

And then Sasha danced up and down the ramp I was kinda hoping she’d trip on the side and face plant.

Yeah, comes out. Says 1 line, dances around, pockets her $500,000 or so for 5 mins of work and bounces.

Good work if you can get it

Reactions: Wesley91581
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT