ADVERTISEMENT

CI Wrestling Thread #56

It was a very anticlimactic moment. Christian should have been the 6th man in the ladder match. It was the natural, logical, best way to introduce him. How do you whiff on that?

Ethan Page is a really good signing, he was in Impact for years. He and Josh Alexander were tag champs for about a year.

MEH on Christian, would rather it been Angle.
Maybe there's a even better surprise for the end of the show.

Reactions: ryanbruner

Lol, my friend just texted me “guess who the mystery guy is”

I was expecting Angle. Granted, he wouldn’t boost ratings, but dude is a first ballot HOFer.

he says “nope, Christian”.

Lol, I mean, I like Christian, but he’s been a “bit player” his career and won’t help at all in ratings. They really need to curtail these “huge announcements”. Good lord, lol

I didn't like the commentary over it but I enjoyed the street fight.
If there are no more surprises I think it would have been better to have Christian show up on Wednesday and then Big Show tonight.

Lol, my friend just texted me “guess who the mystery guy is”

I was expecting Angle. Granted, he wouldn’t boost ratings, but dude is a first ballot HOFer.

he says “nope, Christian”.

Lol, I mean, I like Christian, but he’s been a “bit player” his career and won’t help at all in ratings. They really need to curtail these “huge announcements”. Good lord, lol
Christian is a hall of famer

That match was insane, but the end seemed like when you buy one of those Kentucky-legal fireworks packages at your local grocery store, and find out once you light the fireworks (despite looking like all kinds of other cool fireworks) that they are all just fountains. Again, anticlimactic.

Guessing there was some sort of pyro malfunction, because you are right that literally was a dud.

That ending felt like the perfect way to describe the show for me. Massive build with maybe the most excitement they could have only to end with a tiny wet fart.

They dropped the ball bad tonight. Bucks match, battle royale, street fight and Omega match were only things worth watching. They screwed up bad with the match order. The middle of the show had like 3-4 straight down/boring matches. Throw in the terrible Christian signing and it just made for a disappointing show imo.

I’m going to have to live listen with Jim and Brian this afternoon because they’re going to rip this show apart lol

I’m going to have to live listen with Jim and Brian this afternoon because they’re going to rip this show apart lol
Jim Cornette would rip the show apart if there were 6 matches that included god himself in every match.
If it isn’t a tag match that includes 15 minutes of Roman Greco roll up wrestling and wrist locks, head locks, and leg drops he’s going to be disappointed. He’s just out of touch.

I thought it was an okay show, I was mainly interested in Mox/Omega. I liked the match, but the end will be what people remember. Kingston selling like he got shot was my favorite part.

AEW/Kahn will probably get some blow back on this show, which could be good. They need to work on some areas.

When I saw those fireworks go off I thought Tony Khan must have also signed future HOFer Gillberg to an AEW contract.

L3TL.gif

From listening to the post match media call looks like they are going to try to make an angle out of the end of the show being a dud. I mean I guess that's all you can do.

My friend sent me a message today and said, “Dixie Gulas reminds of Rick Pitino. Everything is always the “best signing” or “best match”..blah blah”

I told him I once heard Jerry Jarrett say he would tell Lance and Dave to make sure the fans believed you. If you don’t think this is card is the greatest card ever, then don’t say it is...unlike Nick Gulas, who would consistently say “Folks, this is the greatest card ever”every week.

Its when Orton called Tony Khan “Jacksonville Dixie”, I switched it to “Dixie Gulas” because he’s a daddy’s boy that gets to spend his dads money (George), but also makes unrealistic boasts (Nick)

From listening to the post match media call looks like they are going to try to make an angle out of the end of the show being a dud. I mean I guess that's all you can do.

itsgood they’re trying to save face, and we know their core fan base and Meltzer will eat it up, but if the casual fan was watching...they’ll be like “first you bring out Christian for the (supposed) huge signing and then this goofy match? No thanks”

When you do an ultra-gimmicky match like that, you're at the mercy of the gimmick when technical difficulties arise. The story could have easily been told without the pyro or explosions, with Eddie coming out to make the save after a beatdown of Mox. But they wanted bells and whistles and sparklers sticking out their @sses and whatnot. It sucks, but I can't feel bad for AEW that sh!t went south on them because they created a match that was so heavily dependent on the gimmick.

I'm curious where they go from here, whether they will try to continue to develop Eddie's alliance with Mox, or drop that angle all together and pretend it just never happened.

It was a very anticlimactic moment. Christian should have been the 6th man in the ladder match. It was the natural, logical, best way to introduce him. How do you whiff on that?

Yup agree considering his TLC match history - best case scenario would be Christian for the ladder match than a bigger name for the big surprise.

They so badly wanted to recreate Onita covering Funk with Kingston/Mox. I saw Kahn said something like “did you expect us to blow them up?” Well no, but people expected more than a few sparklers going off at the end. I would try to just drop the whole end, and focus on the match. It’s going be lame going with Kenny couldn’t build it properly or whatever.

They so badly wanted to recreate Onita covering Funk with Kingston/Mox. I saw Kahn said something like “did you expect us to blow them up?” Well no, but people expected more than a few sparklers going off at the end. I would try to just drop the whole end, and focus on the match. It’s going be lame going with Kenny couldn’t build it properly or whatever.

onita/Fuchi/Tojo vs Morton and Gilbert is what got me watching wrestling in 1981 and Terry Funk is an top ten all time favorite, but that match is stupid and garbage and that clip showed it was. Horribly overrated.

Has anyone come out and said what exactly went wrong? Was wondering if there was some safety mechanism, or perhaps a person manually detonating who decided someone was in an unsafe location to press the button.

If not, a pyrotechnics expert should be out of a job today.

Reactions: ryanbruner
At this point in the aew arc I’m expecting them to bring in hall and Nash and do the nwo- albeit reminiscent of tna 2005.

I mean it’s cool to bring some underutilized wwe talent but to basically sign all ex-wwe guys is so tna 2005.

Wish they would focus more on guys like archer and mjf-bringing in Christian just bogs all that down.

At this point in the aew arc I’m expecting them to bring in hall and Nash and do the nwo- albeit reminiscent of tna 2005.

I mean it’s cool to bring some underutilized wwe talent but to basically sign all ex-wwe guys is so tna 2005.

Wish they would focus more on guys like archer and mjf-bringing in Christian just bogs all that down.

when they first started, didn’t Dixie Gulas say he wasn’t going to go out and sign a bunch of former wwe guys?

Well in somewhat better news for AEW the match with Shaq/Cargill vs. Cody/Velvet did 1,133 million viewers on Wednesday night. The NXT segment had 713,000 so you actually had close to 1.9 million viewers which is cool.

However that dropped to 975,000 once the match was over and was down to 903,000 by the time of Paul Wight's debut.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT