ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Coyte, "it was not" incidental contact

I'm not in favor of fan harassment of referees off the field, but Stoops should have called the Longest Yard play and had Smitty fire one at his nuts.

Reactions: KYtotheCore
I guess he thinks people live in the 50s, lol. It’s easy to prove someone is lying, which this buffoon obviously is

Yep...reminds me of a couple of years ago when Coach Rodent admonished Oregon's Dylan Brook in the handshake line after Dook lost, then denied it when asked about it, pretty much making the Brooks kid out to be a liar, only to have the audio turn up several hours later that proved Coach Rodent was the liar.

The context of the play in question is also notable. The referees had flagged a UK defensive back (Baird, IIRC), a series or two before that for taking a receiver to the ground hard after the whistle blew with the stopping of forward progress. I didn't love the call, but understood and didn't question it. Fast forward to Snell's run, and he's taken down by three defenders well after the whistle when forward progress was stopped and Snell had stepped out of bounds. The consistent call would have been to throw a flag for a personal foul (though I didn't feel strongly about it. Instead, the head referee loses his cool, throws a flag that killed a UK drive that should have been second and 14 or so from the NU 42, and tosses UK's best player.

It was an indefensible call. At least it has helped further clarify the resident trolls on this board.

There is video proof that the first contact between Snell and the Official was instigated by the official. Enough Said.

GO CATS

Reactions: WildcatDJ
I will add that too many of our players(DB's and WR's) do too much yapping and acting like fools after doing their jobs. I don't like it and watching too many other schools that don't do it. It includes getting in opponents face, over acting and celebrating, and not returning to your starting position in a timely manner. This is an unprofessional attitude that position coaches should stop and Stoops as well. I don't see it when they miss tackles or have interference calls.

Snell pushes off, it’s not like he did nothing at all. It was minor and not worthy of ejection but let’s be objective, his attitude bit him in the ass. He plays that way all year but he needs to chill out when it comes to the refs. Snell push off on other players all year with a lot of attitude after plays, he and the team just need to bring it down a notch. If you give a ref an opportunity to make a bad call then it’s more likely to happen.

In the end, the ref touched him first and should have left him be. Once the ref decided to touch him, he should have been able to restrain himself when Snell did the equivalent of “I don’t need help.” Say what you want, this is *all* on the ref.

Last edited:
Then why don’t you see more players doing that? Do they not have heat of the moment at other schools? Yet I’ve never witnessed another player do that in decades of watching cfb, so heat of the moment is no excuse.
Look.... I'm not going to debate you about this. The kid pulled his hand away from the referee's hand real quick. That is all that he did. If you tell me that you have ever seen a player ejected from a ballgame for refusing help getting to his feet, I insist that you provide a video of the action.

Reactions: crestcat
Look.... I'm not going to debate you about this. The kid pulled his hand away from the referee's hand real quick. That is all that he did. If you tell me that you have ever seen a player ejected from a ballgame for refusing help getting to his feet, I insist that you provide a video of the action.
Then you’re either dishonest or have trouble with vision because he did more than pull away. Since you’re willing to distort that obvious truth then I suspect you’ll say whatever is necessary to make Snell look like a total victim. Nobody can provide video evidence of something that hasn’t previously happened, that statement alone tells me you are out of your element. Snell is the only player to have pushed a refs attempt to help him up away, so it’s you needing to provide video supporting the claim that Snell was singled out.

I also think your blanket excuse of “heat of the moment” is laughable because that would excuse any behavior during a game. In fact you were throwing around the same excuse when Humphrey got a tech for slamming the ball against A&M. Apparently it’s all in the heat of the moment and that makes anything ok. You didn’t like the call but there’s no reason to distort the truth of everything that transpired and Snells role in what happened.

I’m not defending Coyte at all or condemning Snell, but Stoops needs to reign in player attitude on the field. There’s a tad too much of a lawlessness feel and it may have finally cost us.

There are those that I agree with you but this ref is a liar, and Snell doesn’t have a Jones type attitude imo.

In the end, the ref touched him first and should have left him be. Once the ref decided to touch him, he should have been able to restrain himself when Snell did the equivalent of “I don’t need help.” Say what you want, this is *all* on the ref.
The ref tried to help him up, what is the crime in that? You say touched him as if it was an assault, in fact it was Snell who reacted like a jerk over a simple gesture. Snell could have not raised his hands at all, he could have told the ref thanks but I don’t need help anymore or I’m good but don’t help me again. Instead he chose the me against the world gangsta attitude, for absolutely no reason at all. Why everybody is acting like poor Snell was a completely innocent victim is bizarre, he went salty mode like he has all year and it finally cost him.

Then you’re either dishonest or have trouble with vision because he did more than pull away. Since you’re willing to distort that obvious truth then I suspect you’ll say whatever is necessary to make Snell look like a total victim. Nobody can provide video evidence of something that hasn’t previously happened, that statement alone tells me you are out of your element. Snell is the only player to have pushed a refs attempt to help him up away, so it’s you needing to provide video supporting the claim that Snell was singled out.

I also think your blanket excuse of “heat of the moment” is laughable because that would excuse any behavior during a game. In fact you were throwing around the same excuse when Humphrey got a tech for slamming the ball against A&M. Apparently it’s all in the heat of the moment and that makes anything ok. You didn’t like the call but there’s no reason to distort the truth of everything that transpired and Snells role in what happened.

Respect your opinion but it’s very seldom that an official helps a player up that I remember. Plus the official did not make any movement backwards if he was indeed pushed, didn’t happen.

What is the crime of a ref helping a player up? And Snell absolutely pushed his help away for no orther reason that trying to rep his attitude that’s prevalent with this team. I don’t care what the ref said, I watched Snell push the refs hands away on video. Snell is a hard runner and plays hard but he also plays with a punk attitude that brings some unwanted attention. It caught up with him, I would like to see Stoops correct some of the gangsta bull ish.

X, you’re getting to be like some others, where did I say that it was a crime? I said I seldom see it. I watched it over and over the official never moved backwards but Snell did pull his hands down to refuse the help. We will just have to agree to disagree which I don’t often do with you.

There are those that I agree with you but this ref is a liar, and Snell doesn’t have a Jones type attitude imo.
Jones is out of control and I agree that Snell is not on that level but Snell is always involved in extra activity after plays are over. He’s done it all year long in every game, he’s either jawing ish or pushing players after the whistle, out of bounds shoving of defenders etc...

He seeks out confrontation and anybody that hasn’t noticed just likes it. That’s all fine and good but it finally hurt the team. Again I ask what is the crime of a ref helping a player up and why in the hell is everybody acting like that is a first contact assault.

X, you’re getting to be like some others, where did I say that it was a crime? I said I seldom see it. I watched it over and over the official never moved backwards but Snell did pull his hands down to refuse the help. We will just have to agree to disagree which I don’t often do with you.
I asked where the crime was, I never attributed that comment to you. But people are saying the ref made first contact because it’s sounds far more egregious than telling the truth by saying when he tried to help him up. And if me asking where the crime is in that is enough to make you say I’m like some others then you’re no better than they are either.

What is the crime of a ref helping a player up? And Snell absolutely pushed his help away for no orther reason that trying to rep his attitude that’s prevalent with this team. I don’t care what the ref said, I watched Snell push the refs hands away on video. Snell is a hard runner and plays hard but he also plays with a punk attitude that brings some unwanted attention. It caught up with him, I would like to see Stoops correct some of the gangsta bull ish.

The ref initiated contact with a player. The player should have every right to remove unwanted hands/contact from his body. Snell did this without much of a scene or a problem.

Snell does have a bit of an attitude. As a football player you probably should. You have to have confidence and believe you are the best and having that usually makes you much better. This is a far cry from being a bad person or being a punk as you seem to think he's been.

As I said before, Snell is the type of guy that wouldn't want help up because he'd view it as showing weakness or being tired after getting driven backwards. There is nothing wrong with him not wanting to accept that help and not wanting to convey that message to an opponent. He'd rather them think that the negative play didn't effect him and that he's ready to run it down their throats again.

Also... let's stop with this "gangsta" crap. The guys play hard and few of them have gotten in trouble off the field. Yes, some of the attitude needs reigned in, but let's not act like these guys are the same as what has happened at Louisville or Tennessee with frequent arrests and even sexual assault trials against numerous players.

Reactions: jdgilbys5
Jones is out of control and I agree that Snell is not on that level but Snell is always involved in extra activity after plays are over. He’s done it all year long in every game, he’s either jawing ish or pushing players after the whistle, out of bounds shoving of defenders etc...

He seeks out confrontation and anybody that hasn’t noticed just likes it. That’s all fine and good but it finally hurt the team. Again I ask what is the crime of a ref helping a player up and why in the hell is everybody acting like that is a first contact assault.

We know how the trash talk goes in a game especially with a RB who runs the ball a lot. And when you find someone who says it’s a crime for an official to help a player up, I’ll agree with you.

I asked where the crime was, I never attributed that comment to you. But people are saying the ref made first contact because it’s sounds far more egregious than telling the truth by saying when he tried to help him up. And if me asking where the crime is in that is enough to make you say I’m like some others then you’re no better than they are either.

Sorry that you’re upset.

The ref initiated contact with a player. The player should have every right to remove unwanted hands/contact from his body. Snell did this without much of a scene or a problem.

Snell does have a bit of an attitude. As a football player you probably should. You have to have confidence and believe you are the best and having that usually makes you much better. This is a far cry from being a bad person or being a punk as you seem to think he's been.

As I said before, Snell is the type of guy that wouldn't want help up because he'd view it as showing weakness or being tired after getting driven backwards. There is nothing wrong with him not wanting to accept that help and not wanting to convey that message to an opponent. He'd rather them think that the negative play didn't effect him and that he's ready to run it down their throats again.

Also... let's stop with this "gangsta" crap. The guys play hard and few of them have gotten in trouble off the field. Yes, some of the attitude needs reigned in, but let's not act like these guys are the same as what has happened at Louisville or Tennessee with frequent arrests and even sexual assault trials against numerous players.
Why do you say first contact? Because it sounds worse than saying the ref was trying to help him up? Snell after line a punk there and I don’t lie for players just because they’re on my team. Tell the truth no matter who it is

We know how the trash talk goes in a game especially with a RB who runs the ball a lot. And when you find someone who says it’s a crime for an official to help a player up, I’ll agree with you.
I see the vast majority of rb’s in college acting far more mature than Snell has been this season, or some of our players for that matter. We have an attitude problem on this team, that nobody wants to admit there’s an issue is incredible.

Why do you say first contact? Because it sounds worse than saying the ref was trying to help him up? Snell after line a punk there and I don’t lie for players just because they’re on my team. Tell the truth no matter who it is

Might not be a crime, but unwanted touching is assault and can subject someone to a lawsuit. If that touching is reckless, which this wasn't, it could become a crime. Still, the old adage of "keep your hands to yourself," kind of applies here. The referee should have kept his hands to himself.

Still, the point is that Snell wouldn't have pushed him away had the referee not initiated contact with Snell to begin with. It is that simple. Snell wouldn't have had any reason or cause to make contact with a referee had the referee not put himself, and Snell, in that situation to begin with. It doesn't matter if the ref was helping him up. The ref could have simple offered a hand had he wanted to help him up, but he didn't. He reached down and grabbed Snell by the pads to get him up. That is why we say that he initiated contact.

Reactions: Wall Knight Teague
Might not be a crime, but unwanted touching is assault and can subject someone to a lawsuit. If that touching is reckless, which this wasn't, it could become a crime. Still, the old adage of "keep your hands to yourself," kind of applies here. The referee should have kept his hands to himself.

Still, the point is that Snell wouldn't have pushed him away had the referee not initiated contact with Snell to begin with. It is that simple. Snell wouldn't have had any reason or cause to make contact with a referee had the referee not put himself, and Snell, in that situation to begin with. It doesn't matter if the ref was helping him up. The ref could have simple offered a hand had he wanted to help him up, but he didn't. He reached down and grabbed Snell by the pads to get him up. That is why we say that he initiated contact.
I’ve watched refs help players up all the time and nobody reacted the way Snell did. All the bs of first contact or touched him first is homer garbage. The ref was trying to be nice and help a player up, he wasn’t assaulting or any other false action that the majority in this thread would like everyone to believe. Snell could have done any number of things but he chose to represent and it backfired. There’s not one single thing wrong with a ref offering assistance like you want to portray. Snell was in no danger of anything from that harmless action but hey make it sound like he has a right to defend himself or something.

Your point is silly. Snell isn't required to accept the refs help. The ref has no business putting his hands on a player. All Snell did was reject the help which he is entitled to. Snell is certainly not a punk nor does he play with a punk attitude.

Your point is silly. Snell isn't required to accept the refs help. The ref has no business putting his hands on a player. All Snell did was reject the help which he is entitled to. Snell is certainly not a punk nor does he play with a punk attitude.
Put his hands on? Was Snell assaulted or something? Oh wait that’s your silly way of distorting the truth because it sounds more sensational. Snell and several others have displayed punk behavior this year, it’s a problem that needs attention. You only care that Snell is good and are willing to approve anything because of that.

I will add that too many of our players(DB's and WR's) do too much yapping and acting like fools after doing their jobs. I don't like it and watching too many other schools that don't do it. It includes getting in opponents face, over acting and celebrating, and not returning to your starting position in a timely manner. This is an unprofessional attitude that position coaches should stop and Stoops as well. I don't see it when they miss tackles or have interference calls.
Absolutely, positively as my grandson use to say when he was little...you are only making a fool of yourself, especially when you are down 3-4 tds

The ref tried to help him up, what is the crime in that? You say touched him as if it was an assault, in fact it was Snell who reacted like a jerk over a simple gesture. Snell could have not raised his hands at all, he could have told the ref thanks but I don’t need help anymore or I’m good but don’t help me again. Instead he chose the me against the world gangsta attitude, for absolutely no reason at all. Why everybody is acting like poor Snell was a completely innocent victim is bizarre, he went salty mode like he has all year and it finally cost him.

At this point, I think it’s clear you just want to bash Stoops via this. You went from (iirc) “it was a bad call but Snell could react differently,” to “Snell is a thug and asked for it.” You also chose to ignore the actual point I made on your way to bashing. Whatever angle you focus on, the vast majority agrees the official is at fault here.

At this point, I think it’s clear you just want to bash Stoops via this. You went from (iirc) “it was a bad call but Snell could react differently,” to “Snell is a thug and asked for it.” You also chose to ignore the actual point I made on your way to bashing. Whatever angle you focus on, the vast majority agrees the official is at fault here.
I’ve been accused of being a sunshine pumper all year and a Stoops apologist, that shows you don’t know what you’re talking about. Your original point is laughable because it’s gives Snell the right to act like a jerk just because the ref tried to help him up. Snell is to blame for his reaction. It was a bad call to throw Snell out as I’ve stated, I haven’t changed that and think it should have been a 15 yard unsportsmanlike.

The conversation has morphed into a bigger problem that relates to how this came about and that is players having a bad attitude etc... That this thread is moving too fast for you to connect those dots doesn’t translate to me changing my stance at all. Just like the ref can’t be blamed for Snells reaction just because he tried to help him up.

You see what you want in my post, Snell pushed the refs attempt at helping him up away. He could have done any number of things other than what he did. He’s not completely innocent here but the ref should not have ejected him, throwing a fifteen yard unsportsmanlike would have sufficed there.

But the larger point in my post is that the chipiness needs to be stopped from our entire team. We’ve had a meltdown from Jones and Ware throwing a trash can at another player. Snells pushing the refs help away is just another example of a lack of discipline. Playing with a chip on your shoulder is fine but this team has issues with conduct, there is no denying that.
Exception: This is football, the players are playing with emotion. If you don't like it join a choir because there will be harmony. Benny Snell did not deserved what this clown did to him. I want my players playing with a chip on their shoulders.

Exception: This is football, the players are playing with emotion. If you don't like it join a choir because there will be harmony. Benny Snell did not deserved what this clown did to him. I want my players playing with a chip on their shoulders.
Other programs aren’t pulling the bs our players have been, acting like a punk is not part of football. Maybe Snell will learn what respect means after this but I doubt it.

I’ve been accused of being a sunshine pumper all year and a Stoops apologist, that shows you don’t know what you’re talking about. Your original point is laughable because it’s gives Snell the right to act like a jerk just because the ref tried to help him up. Snell is to blame for his reaction. It was a bad call to throw Snell out as I’ve stated, I haven’t changed that and think it should have been a 15 yard unsportsmanlike.

The conversation has morphed into a bigger problem that relates to how this came about and that is players having a bad attitude etc... That this thread is moving too fast for you to connect those dots doesn’t translate to me changing my stance at all. Just like the ref can’t be blamed for Snells reaction just because he tried to help him up.
I agree. There should've been a 15 yard penalty and a warning. The ejection was excessive.

Reactions: Xception
Put his hands on? Was Snell assaulted or something? Oh wait that’s your silly way of distorting the truth because it sounds more sensational. Snell and several others have displayed punk behavior this year, it’s a problem that needs attention. You only care that Snell is good and are willing to approve anything because of that.
Yes. Technically Snell was assaulted. Unwanted touching by legal definition is assault.

Also, the ref didn't offer him help up. He tried to force Snell up by pulling him up by his arms. Snell was offered nothing. An offer requires acceptance. This ref didn't allow there to be acceptance. Instead he grabbed Snell without Snell giving him permission to do so. By definition he did technically assault one of our players.

Chris Coyte should die of gonorrhea and rot in Hell.

- Ray Finkle's mom

02648849-6982-480B-B0E8-65A59A26DEBC.gif

Reactions: ZenCatFan73
I could've sworn I read "holy horse apples" in this thread. Now I can't find it. I wanted to like that post for that one thing alone.

Let’s just all be thankful that Benny made it out alive amidst that heinous attack, get well soon Benny. Goodbye in advance in case you don’t recover. :pray:

Unwanted touching of any kind constitutes an assault. Actually, a battery at common law. While Snell was uninjured, the offense was still committed. Yes, this is extreme and no, I don't think there is any legal recourse or need. However, you were the one who sarcastically asked if there was an assault. Well, technically there was. Still, the point remains that the ref put his hands on Snell without permission. Snell removed another person's hands from his own body and got kicked out of the game for it. That's ridiculous and probably 95 percent agrees with that.

Reactions: DubyaT
Unwanted touching of any kind constitutes an assault. Actually, a battery at common law. While Snell was uninjured, the offense was still committed. Yes, this is extreme and no, I don't think there is any legal recourse or need. However, you were the one who sarcastically asked if there was an assault. Well, technically there was. Still, the point remains that the ref put his hands on Snell without permission. Snell removed another person's hands from his own body and got kicked out of the game for it. That's ridiculous and probably 95 percent agrees with that.
If 95% want to act like UL fans do then that’s their choice, I’m going to stick to telling the truth no matter if it’s my team or not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT