ADVERTISEMENT

Chiefs beat writers pulling

May 23, 2015
a @Grumpyolddawg move. They’re saying the only reason House came back to UK was because we wouldn’t let him out of his contract.

What is it with these people like @Grumpyolddawg and others that have to make up lies when UK coaches turn them down? I guess they really have that low of a view of UK football. The only way they can rationalize a UK football coach turning them down is that someone was lying or their arm was twisted into turning down their team’s “superior” job.

Maybe Grumpy and the Kansas City fans can go get some beers while they watch UK games this year and make up lies about why UK coordinators turned their team down. In other breaking news, Grumpy is now saying Gran was offered the water boy position at Georgia, not the assistant tight ends coach job (complete with a pay decrease and demotion) like he originally reported. Grumpy also reports that Kansas City never really offered House the linebacker job..only an unpaid position as a camera operator filming practice ;-)

Larry Vaught’s response:

I think we as UK fans are getting a crash course in the dirty world of coaching hires. We’re not used to this kind of dirty stuff because we’ve never really had assistants that other teams coveted..nor did we have a program good enough (and with the financial commitment) to keep our up-and-coming coaches at home.

We’re going to have to get used to this dirty world of lies and unsubstantiated propaganda from other team’s beat writers as our program continues to ascend and our coaches (gasp) don’t want to leave at the drop of a hat. There’s a reason Tennessee, Georgia and Florida fans hate each other but they feel completely comfortable coming on our board. They’ve never viewed us as a threat (until this year). They’ve never had UK coaches turn them down. This is the back and forth stuff that happens between good football programs, and it’s part of the reason they hate each other. It’s a dirty business. The Georgia football staff will tell their beat writers that they never offered a guy in order to save face. The beat writers then honestly believe that a guy was never offered, and low and behold guys like Grumpy eat it up with a spoon, no questions asked.

Last edited:
Let's hold on first. The Georgia/Gran thing was obvious sour grapes for the bulldogs. Petty lies after the fact that only Georgia fans with an off switch on their brain could believe.

But this House thing, I've seen nothing reported to counter what this guy said yet. They're not a conference foe, nor does this news soothe the ego of the guy they eventually hire.

Reactions: VFL1970
a @Grumpyolddawg move. They’re saying the only reason House came back to UK was because we wouldn’t let him out of his contract.

What is it with these people like @Grumpyolddawg and others that have to make up lies when UK coaches turn them down? I guess they really have that low of a view of UK football. The only way they can rationalize a UK football coach turning them down is that someone was lying or their arm was twisted into turning down their team’s “superior” job.

Maybe Grumpy and the Kansas City fans can go get some beers while they watch UK games this year and make up lies about why UK coordinators turned their team down. In other breaking news, Grumpy is now saying Gran was offered the water boy position at Georgia, not the assistant tight ends coach job (complete with a pay decrease and demotion) like he originally reported. Grumpy also reports that Kansas City never really offered House the linebacker job..only an unpaid position as a camera operator filming practice ;-)

Larry Vaught’s response:

I think we as UK fans are getting a crash course in the dirty world of coaching hires. We’re not used to this kind of dirty stuff because we’ve never really had assistants that other teams covered, nor did we have a program good enough (and with the financial commitment) to keep our up and coming coaches at home. We’re going to have to get used to these kind of lies and unsubstantiated propaganda from other team’s beat writers as our program continues to ascend and our coaches (gasp) don’t want to leave at the drop of a hat. Grumpy is just going to have to get used to it. We’re not going anywhere.

Stoops who moves on after recruits spurn him because he wants people who want to be at UK would prefer to keep House around by coercion when Matt wants to be a LBer coach at KC? Every coach’s dream. Strong arm your DC into staying. That makes perfect sense.

Let's hold on first. The Georgia/Gran thing was obvious sour grapes for the bulldogs. Petty lies after the fact that only Georgia fans with an off switch on their brain could believe.

But this House thing, I've seen nothing reported to counter what this guy said yet. They're not a conference foe, nor does this news soothe the ego of the guy they eventually hire.

Do Stoops and Barnhart strike you as the kind of guys that are going to strong arm and manipulate coaches into staying? Hell, if anything Stoops has been described as one of the most assistant-friendly coaches out there. I have a really really hard time believing he “refused” to let a coach out of his contract for the sole purpose of personal gain. He’s not a Bobby Petrino or Urban Meyer. Heck, that would be a shady thing to do for either of those guys, much less Stoops.

Who do you believe more, this reporter with zero sources to substantiate his claim, or Stoops, who’s always been great to his assistants and not once stopped one from leaving or pursing other opportunities? Do you honestly believe Stoops is going to strong arm a guy into staying? And what kind of working environment would that be if he did that? Some of you all really have to open your eyes. This is a cut throat business we’re dealing with now. Lies and deception are the norm. I don’t understand why our fans have such a hard time seeing right through these lies. According to outside sources, the only reason our two coordinators returned this season was because they either a) lied, or b) were forced to return because of Stoops manipulating them. Open your eyes people. Why in the hell would Stoops/Barnhart not let House out of his contract?

I think our fans need to get acquainted with the world of big time college football and the deceptive practices that go on when you’re competing with big time programs and teams for recruits and coaches. It’s a dirty, dirty business. There’s a reason Georgia homer Grumpy liked coming on this board and spreading his wisdom until this year when he started to squirm in his seat a little. The better this program gets, the more of this stuff we’re going to encounter.

Last edited:
Maybe Coach House's buyout was a sticking point with the whole deal on BOTH sides with neither one willing to budge.

That would make sense. Coach House may have felt like if the Chiefs really wanted him, they would pay it and maybe they wouldn't. Hence, making him sour on that job and it became the deciding factor for him staying here.

Just my guess as to what MIGHT have happened.

Maybe Coach House's buyout was a sticking point with the whole deal on BOTH sides with neither one willing to budge.

That would make sense. Coach House may have felt like if the Chiefs really wanted him, they would pay it and maybe they wouldn't. Hence, making him sour on that job and it became the deciding factor for him staying here.

Sounds plausible. Every contract has outs...

I’m betting this was “leaked” by KC to save face or maybe House’s agent to cover his ass, for screwing up the deal.

And it is doubtful UK will respond... no need too.

IMO, a pretty accurate "guess".

I have no idea what House makes or what House was offered by the Chiefs. I think I read somewhere the buyout for House was $150K (a pretty small amount in today's contracts).

Coaching buyouts are usually picked up by the new party hiring the coach. If not, the coach has to pay it or negotiate it with his current employer. The point is, unless waived by the current employer, someone must pick up the buy out. If it had to come out of House's pocket, the "deal" may not have seemed anywhere near as attractive as had the Chief's picked it up. JMO

Peace

I don’t understand why perception is so important to teams, it literally doesn’t hurt them other than ego. Georgia was in no way damaged by Gran turning them down other than their pride being hurt but that has no impact on the program. It’s like they think it was a setback, who the hell knows why it bothers them. The only other thing I could even think of is trying to avoid what happened to Tennessee, this new phenomenon of perception protection is bewildering.

Do Stoops and Barnhart strike you as the kind of guys that are going to strong arm and manipulate coaches into staying? Hell, if anything Stoops has been described as one of the most assistant-friendly coaches out there. I have a really really hard time believing he “refused” to let a coach out of his contract for the sole purpose of personal gain. He’s not a Bobby Petrino or Urban Meyer. Heck, that would be a shady thing to do for either of those guys, much less Stoops.

Who do you believe more, this reporter with zero sources to substantiate his claim, or Stoops, who’s always been great to his assistants and not once stopped one from leaving or pursing other opportunities? Do you honestly believe Stoops is going to strong arm a guy into staying? And what kind of working environment would that be if he did that? Some of you all really have to open your eyes. This is a cut throat business we’re dealing with now. Lies and deception are the norm. I don’t understand why our fans have such a hard time seeing right through these lies. According to outside sources, the only reason our two coordinators returned this season was because they either a) lied, or b) were forced to return because of Stoops manipulating them. Open your eyes people. Why in the hell would Stoops/Barnhart not let House out of his contract?

I think our fans need to get acquainted with the world of big time college football and the deceptive practices that go on when you’re competing with big time programs and teams for recruits and coaches. It’s a dirty, dirty business. There’s a reason Georgia homer Grumpy liked coming on this board and spreading his wisdom until this year when he started to squirm in his seat a little. The better this program gets, the more of this stuff we’re going to encounter.
I'll be willing to change my mind when I see someone offer something counter. But:

Why does Kansas City care about saving face?
Ian Rappaport is reporting the same thing.
This reporter with no sources is Kansas City beat writer and hall of fame voter.
There were reports of Gran leaving, and he got out in front and announced he turned it down. There were reports that House was leaving. And the only thing that happened was leaked reports that it didn't happen, and then this. No word from House, Stoops, or UK.

Mitch himself on contact buyouts:
Another security net that’s part of the new coaching contracts is a penalty if the coach leaves for another position before his contract runs out. Gran and House will owe the university $150,000 for each year left on their contract. Newly signed coaches — defensive line coach Derrick LeBlanc and special teams coordinator Dean Hood — will owe the school $100,000 for each year not completed.

“In the world of contracts, I’m not sure I would call them that anymore,” Barnhart said. “What we want to do is find ways to make commitments that go both ways. We’re making a commitment to people to be a part of our program. We want them to make a commitment to be a part of us. I think what it does is we’ve reassured them of some things on a university side and we’ve asked for that same commitment back from them.”

Reactions: 1stKatMan

Your points are well-taken but ultimately Stoops couldn't prevent House from taking the Chiefs job even if he wanted to. There is or isn't a buyout but either way, no coach can be legally prevented from taking another job. It could happen under contract law but as a practical matter- never happens,ever.

I'll be willing to change my mind when I see someone offer something counter. But:

Why does Kansas City care about saving face?
Ian Rappaport is reporting the same thing.
This reporter with no sources is Kansas City beat writer and hall of fame voter.
There were reports of Gran leaving, and he got out in front and announced he turned it down. There were reports that House was leaving. And the only thing that happened was leaked reports that it didn't happen, and then this. No word from House, Stoops, or UK.

Mitch himself on contact buyouts:
Another security net that’s part of the new coaching contracts is a penalty if the coach leaves for another position before his contract runs out. Gran and House will owe the university $150,000 for each year left on their contract. Newly signed coaches — defensive line coach Derrick LeBlanc and special teams coordinator Dean Hood — will owe the school $100,000 for each year not completed.

“In the world of contracts, I’m not sure I would call them that anymore,” Barnhart said. “What we want to do is find ways to make commitments that go both ways. We’re making a commitment to people to be a part of our program. We want them to make a commitment to be a part of us. I think what it does is we’ve reassured them of some things on a university side and we’ve asked for that same commitment back from them.”

Why does Kansas City care about saving face? Is that a serious question? The better question would be who doesn’t care about saving face? Have you ever seen a beat writer that doesn’t go out of his way to stick up for his team? A pro football team getting turned down by a Kentucky football coach isn’t exactly a good look.

Sorry man, I just have a hard time believing Stoops and Mormon Mitch strong armed House into coming back. I know myself, I’d rather have a new coach than a coach I feel like I kept from pursuing a better opportunity. Maybe I’m nuts.

Given the whole recent Gran fiasco and the spurned Georgia writers stating that bible school Eddie Gran was a complete liar, I have a hard time understanding why our fans find it so hard to believe that media members are capable of lying or false reporting. I mean, if anything, we should be well conditioned for the lies that come after one of our coordinators turn down a job. None of us know the facts, and probably never will, but I’m just trying to use my brain on this one. If that random lone reporter (with zero cited sources) is accurate, then Stoops and Mormon Mitch have to be two of the biggest jerks in college athletics. I just don’t see it my man.

Last edited:

Larry Vaught’s response:

I think we as UK fans are getting a crash course in the dirty world of coaching hires. We’re not used to this kind of dirty stuff because we’ve never really had assistants that other teams coveted..nor did we have a program good enough (and with the financial commitment) to keep our up-and-coming coaches at home.

We’re going to have to get used to this dirty world of lies and unsubstantiated propaganda from other team’s beat writers as our program continues to ascend and our coaches (gasp) don’t want to leave at the drop of a hat. There’s a reason Tennessee, Georgia and Florida fans hate each other but they feel completely comfortable coming on our board. They’ve never viewed us as a threat (until this year). They’ve never had UK coaches turn them down. This is the back and forth stuff that happens between good football programs, and it’s part of the reason they hate each other. It’s a dirty business. The Georgia football staff will tell their beat writers that they never offered a guy in order to save face. The beat writers then honestly believe that a guy was never offered, and low and behold guys like Grumpy eat it up with a spoon, no questions asked.

I'm not a Georgia can and don't believe for a sec that Gran was offered the OC job of the bulldogs.

Your whole post I pretty much skipped over except the first couple paragraphs.

And I suppose you guys believe Smollett was out in -60 below zero weather getting a foot long...(sandwich).

Reactions: USMC Cat
I'm not a Georgia can and don't believe for a sec that Gran was offered the OC job of the bulldogs.

Thank you for that, lol. Maybe you and Grumpy can go back to the Georgia board. Y’all obviously don’t belong on here since you believe biased Georgia beat writers over Eddie Gran, Vince Marrow, and Matt Jones. Go back to the Georgia board little guy.

At the end of the day, both Coach Gran and Coach House have good jobs with UK. The grass isn’t always greener on the other side of the fence. Mark has built a staff of coaches who are paid well, properly develop players and instill a winning culture. While there is more money and more potential career opportunity in making a move to the pros or an upper level SEC team, there is also something special going on in UK football. Mark is a highly respected coach who genuinely cares about his staff and team. And, we are the fans who are hoped to buy in as well. Onward and upward.

Of course you don't. Your a hater UK fan are not you add very little to this board other than complete negativity. Your stuck in the joker era and refuse to move forward with the team.

I heard that Stoops and Barnhart kidnapped House’s daughter, and held her in an undisclosed location in Europe.

Or was that the movie Taken which I watched during my Friday Night drunk?

Whatever.

I’m glad House is staying, and I hope the restraints left no permanent scars.

That would make sense. There would be no reason for UK to waive his buyout unless they were unhappy and had someone else in mind. Otherwise it’s on him or KC to pick up the tab to “get him out of his contract”.

Riddle me this?
How can you force a guy to work for you as a coach and expect it to work?
I doubt most of these rumors are accurate. More often than not, the simplist explanation is the right one. What usually happens in this kind of a situation is that another team inquires or makes an offer to lure a coach away, like Michigan tried to do with Vince Marrow. It has been widely reported that Georgia offered their OC job to Eddie Gran, and KC offered their LB coaching job to Matt House. These reports are likely more accurate than blog rumors. In due time, I predict we will find out that MB offered House a raise, and then House decided to stay put at UK.

Besides the fact that it would make no sense for UK to try to force House to stay against his will, there is no history of UK ever doing anything like that before. It doesn't add up.

I heard that Stoops and Barnhart kidnapped House’s daughter, and held her in an undisclosed location in Europe.

Or was that the movie Taken which I watched during my Friday Night drunk?

Whatever.

I’m glad House is staying, and I hope the restraints left no permanent scars.
I like those Taken movies, and the Friday Night drinking! - They give you a good perspective on these topics. GO CATS!!

Reactions: The-Hack
So if this boils down to UK expected Chiefs/House to pay the CONTRACTED buyout of 150k per year left on his deal. What is the big deal? That isn't crazy amount of money to pay. Plus...if things go south and UK wanted a different coach...we'd be on the hook to pay 100% (not 150k) of all years left on the deal. So are some saying UK is wrong for expecting the buyout terms to be valid?

Thanks for making no point whatsoever and failing in any way to respond to my post. You get the non sequitur award for today!! Congrats.

I never said the staff did not keep recruiting players when they decommit. Stoops has made it clear, however, in more than one presser that when a player rejects UK, he feels it’s for the best and he knows what comes next is what was meant to be. He has said he doesn’t want players who don’t want to be at UK.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
So, the writer at the KC paper should have stated that, "UK kept KC from buying out the House contract!?" Less than $220,000 was a deal breaker for the Kansas City Chiefs?
No wonder that NFL team has sucked for the past few decades. They want UK to bankroll their investment in House!
House likely felt that he wasn't given the respect from the Chiefs that he truly was worth.
Bottom line....He is more respected at UK.
Not only is the buyout a joke, but I'd bet that he was offered much less of a salary that what he was getting paid here. House likely wanted to make a move to that level, but not for free!

The people who know the answer have not commented yet, to my knowledge. I will wait to see how this plays out. Personally, the last thing I would want is a House who feels he should be a LBer coach in the NFL. I suspect this is far more nuanced than is being reported. It may be the take of one person on KC’s side, but sounds wildly incomplete. Time will tell.

Reactions: NewWildcatOrder
How much were the Chiefs offering to pay House? If they wanted him they must have discussed salary.

Kentucky: Yesterday it was reported that Kentucky defensive coordinator Matt House was leaving to join the Kansas City Chiefs as linebackers coach. However, today, sources tell FootballScoop House has elected to remain at Kentucky. We hear Stoops and the administration took care of House quite well. Matt Jones was first to mention that he might stay.

Thanks for making no point whatsoever and failing in any way to respond to my post. You get the non sequitur award for today!! Congrats.

I never said the staff did not keep recruiting players when they decommit. Stoops has made it clear, however, in more than one presser that when a player rejects UK, he feels it’s for the best and he knows what comes next is what was meant to be. He has said he doesn’t want players who don’t want to be at UK.

So Stoops only likes players that actually commit to UK. :joy::joy::joy: Got it.ff But if they go somewhere else, then stoops didnt want them anyway and it was better if they didnt come.

Thanks for explaining that.

Good God.

Reactions: crawfords corner
i am just going to put this out there

we all complain that players are not treated fairly when they transfer and that coaches can come and go as they please contracts be damned

i have no idea if this story is true or not (i doubt it)
but if true, this would be leveling the playing field (so to speak)

As far as I’m concerned, House and KC can pay the buyout. If he really wants to leave then there’s the way out. Why should UK change the buyout when it was written in the contract for a reason? Maybe I’m ignorant to buyouts.

@Grumpyolddawg is one of our best, most knowledgeable contributors and has always been respectful. I’d trade his content for 100 of your all’s. He states the opinion of millions, you state the opinions of hundreds.
Whether he’s right or wrong, he’s not a Cards fan, smoking a Black&Mild, making jokes about our moms. Let’s not treat him like one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT