ADVERTISEMENT

Checkerboards or no? Vote on the great Kentucky uniform debate.

When we first got the checkerboards I liked the homage to Secretariat. It was a cool thing and we had not done anything with the uniforms to church them up in quite sometime. The problem we are having now is that we are doing too much and at the same time not enough. If we are going to be an Oregon and change the uniforms as much as we do then we need them to be way better than what they are. We need to go retro, black, silver, monochrome, shiny, etc... Or we go the way of Indiana, Duke, UNC, Kansas, Yankees, Red Sox, Celtics, etc... and we wear classic uniforms all the time. Our inbetween is just not good.

I'll admit I didn't know about the Secretariat connection until recently, but I'm still not sure I get it.

Secretariat was born and reared in Virginia, not Kentucky, right? Why should the Kentucky basketball and football uniforms be designed in honor of a horse from Virginia?

The thing that bothers me most about the checkerboards is how barney went BCG in defense of them. That is a big time problem. He made it sound like the individual programs decide uniforms and at most places they do. Being the players coach cal is though I would think cal would want to change them since his team hates them. Barney evidently has some ego vested into this though and he let it shine the other day with the dude

Reactions: ORCAT
while we are at it can we get rid of that dam ugly cat somebody came up with that looks like another schools mascot
You mean the two birds f*cking?
wildcats-logo_1krzti9fvpgh31a8howb7uq3d2.png

I'll admit I didn't know about the Secretariat connection until recently, but I'm still not sure I get it.

Secretariat was born and reared in Virginia, not Kentucky, right? Why should the Kentucky basketball and football uniforms be designed in honor of a horse from Virginia?

I’m going to tear this apart. I’m sorry.

First secretariat is a Kentuckian. Period! He spent almost all his life at Claiborne farm not only as a Kentuckian but also retiring in the bluegrass. I’m not going to get into his bloodlines but check them out sometime.

Second. His silks were blue and white just as UK colors. Not crappy baby blue but UK blue and white. The greatest horse of all time some argue just as UK is the greatest program. The horse that set the record at the “Kentucky Derby”.

Back to his birthplace. If birthplace is a requirement of honor then why honor Adolph rupp?? I mean he played at Kansas. Why honor any of our players that were born and “reared” elsewhere?? Horse racing in the bluegrass has more fame than our storied hoops program and no horse is more well known than secretariat who just happened to share colors of our school.

If I read another post dumbing down the significance of secretariat to the bluegrass region I’m going to vomit. You guys must be millennials to continue to cute where the horse was born. So the hell what!

it's not as much about the look and design as it is about the players not liking them. If our players don't like them, then there are recruits that don't like them. And that's the most important thing of all. And if you don't think it matters to recruits what they wear, then you are very old, or extremely conservative. This goes to everyone that doesn't understand the uniform debate. I think most would agree that if 99% of the fans hate a certain look, but the players like it, then we stay with the uniforms.
I don't want any player that cares enough about the uniforms to make a decision based on that

Reactions: awf
Over 600 votes, 80% say no or need to be more subtle. The players are probably around the same.

But Mitch thinks his vote is more important than all of them.

When is his retirement?
Surely you're smart enough to know that the people who don't like the uniforms are more likely to vote. I think I can speak for us that don't care one way or the other about the them when I say that we have better things to do than to vote in some dumbass poll

you don't choose players. Also, what if Vernon Carey or James Wiseman care enough???
I never intended to imply that I get to choose the players. My point is that if a recruit's priorities are so far out of whack that he chooses the school based on the uniform design then I don't care if we get him or not and that goes for any recruit you can name.

Last edited:
I never intended to imply that I get to choose the uniforms. My point is that if a recruit's priorities are so far out of whack that he chooses the school based on the uniform design then I don't care if we get him or not and that goes for any recruit you can name.
have you heard of Oregon Football?

I’m going to tear this apart. I’m sorry.

First secretariat is a Kentuckian. Period! He spent almost all his life at Claiborne farm not only as a Kentuckian but also retiring in the bluegrass. I’m not going to get into his bloodlines but check them out sometime.

Second. His silks were blue and white just as UK colors. Not crappy baby blue but UK blue and white. The greatest horse of all time some argue just as UK is the greatest program. The horse that set the record at the “Kentucky Derby”.

Back to his birthplace. If birthplace is a requirement of honor then why honor Adolph rupp?? I mean he played at Kansas. Why honor any of our players that were born and “reared” elsewhere?? Horse racing in the bluegrass has more fame than our storied hoops program and no horse is more well known than secretariat who just happened to share colors of our school.

Secretariat did not move to Claiborne Farm until he was retired from racing, right? His racing career occurred when he still resided at the Meadow stable in Virginia, correct? So Virginia is not only were he was "born", it's also where he was reared, raised, trained and achieved greatness.

So, in that sense, I think there is a distinction between this and your Rupp example. Rupp might've been from Kansas, but his greatest accomplishments all occurred in Kentucky. But that's NOT the case with Secretariat, who did not move to Ky until after his racing career and greatest achievements had passed.

And, yes, I do acknowledge the silliness of having a debate over which state gets to claim a horse.

Last edited:
Pardon me if I'm mistaken, but Secretariat did not move to Claiborne Farm until he was retired from racing, right? His racing career occurred when he still resided at the Meadow stable in Virginia, correct? So Virginia is not only were he was "born", it's also where he was reared, raised, trained and achieved greatness.

So, in that sense, I think there is a distinction between this and your Rupp example. Rupp might've been from Kansas, but his greatest accomplishments all occurred in Kentucky. But that's NOT the case with Secretariat, who did not move to Ky until after his racing career and greatest achievements had passed.

And, yes, I do acknowledge the silliness of having a debate over which state gets to claim a horse.

You are clueless. Go back to high school

I actually liked the checkboard when it was first introduced and subtle - especially when the squares contained the championship years. I liked that it gave recognition to the history of the state of KY, much like the anthracite uniform in football recognizing the coal industry.

However, I would prefer the checkerboard be just as it started - a subtle reference and not the centerpiece.

Ditto. Uniforms are probably further down on my list than yours.

Without Google even with a loaded gun to my head I couldn't tell you what our uniforms look like.

There is a small tinge of the feeling of "meh" as I try to recall them but I got nothing specific a blind person couldn't likely tell you...blue and white, have numbers on them, say Kentucky on the front, have the player's name on the back.

I'm like checkerboard you say? Curious.

What I do hate that some like is that horrendous Nittany Wildcat design.

It's more irksome with football for sure but I truly wish that it be stricken from all records and never spoken of again other than a cautionary tale to make sure the error is not repeated in the future.

Denim is the obvious choice. Not that fake ass denim-like tomfoolery but the real deal denim. Short sleeve denim jackets with a bedazzled KENTUCKY across the front and jean shorts with the edges of the pockets peeking out at the thigh. Away unis are stonewashed. Levis 501 but maybe wrangler.

Checkerboard is for chumps. Denim is for trendsetters

Surely you're smart enough to know that the people who don't like the uniforms are more likely to vote. I think I can speak for us that don't care one way or the other about the them when I say that we have better things to do than to vote in some dumbass poll
Better things to do like you bitching about those who vote in the poll and taking the time to post about it? Is that what you mean?

Would the checkerboards be my first choice? No. Probably not my second choice either. They aren't horrible though. But honestly it's not that big of a deal to me. It's not like those hideous uniforms Pitino had us wear one season in the mid-90's (maybe 95).

Over 600 votes, 80% say no or need to be more subtle. The players are probably around the same.

But Mitch thinks his vote is more important than all of them.

When is his retirement?
So sick of Mitch and his know-it-all, holier-than-thou attitude. He can't retire soon enough.

They better not let him near the next men's bball hire or there will be a revolt. Cal should choose his predecessor, whenever that day comes.

I wouldn't trust Mitch to pick out my tie, much less the head coach at UK. He has demonstrated his bad judgment repeatedly.

I just want to see more variety. It sraws recruits.

Also, bring back the Black Jerseys once in a while.. along with the Grey ones. Last time we wore the greys was in 2012.. Something happened that year, too..

I have only read a few posts in this thread, and while I am a KSR fan, I haven’t heard the interview yet.

I must say though that I don’t at all get the uproar. Are they my favorite uniforms? Probability not. But I have seen much worse, and I don’t hate them. Sounds like maybe the players don’t care for them, but if it’s a huge issue for them, they should be the ones to go to Cal and Mitch..........which leads me to believe this is mostly media and fan driven. Why don’t we just let the players, the people who actually wear them, take care of it?

As I stated, I’m a KSR fan, but Matt and the crew make me scratch my head sometimes when they get on one of their obsessive tangents such as this. And there are other instances I could name.

Only at Kentucky, I guess.

I'm also smart enough to know that the vast majority of fans don't like them, and some of our players have recently said the same. It's hard to find someone who likes our football and basketball unis.

I'm ok with our non traditional route of uniforms in basketball as long as we keep some throwbacks a few times per year and don't get too crazy. Well right now there's no good throwbacks and the patterns are too choppy and crazy. Maybe like cat scratch I'll be collecting them years from now thinking differently. But right now it's time to change some things.

I have only read a few posts in this thread, and while I am a KSR fan, I haven’t heard the interview yet.

I must say though that I don’t at all get the uproar. Are they my favorite uniforms? Probability not. But I have seen much worse, and I don’t hate them. Sounds like maybe the players don’t care for them, but if it’s a huge issue for them, they should be the ones to go to Cal and Mitch..........which leads me to believe this is mostly media and fan driven. Why don’t we just let the players, the people who actually wear them, take care of it?

As I stated, I’m a KSR fan, but Matt and the crew make me scratch my head sometimes when they get on one of their obsessive tangents such as this. And there are other instances I could name.

Only at Kentucky, I guess.

Believe some of the players have expressed they don't like them either. .

UNC Duke Kansas Ucla. All have better looking uniforms that match a traditional way. I like that we separate ourselves, but not like this. I'm ready for a sweet looking simple design like Duke for once.

Check out our baseball uniforms and tell me you definitely wouldn't prefer them.

Believe some of the players have expressed they don't like them either. .

UNC Duke Kansas Ucla. All have better looking uniforms that match a traditional way. I like that we separate ourselves, but not like this. I'm ready for a sweet looking simple design like Duke for once.

Check out our baseball uniforms and tell me you definitely wouldn't prefer them.
Right, I know. I have heard at least two or three of the players myself say they don’t like them. But my point is it must not be that big of a deal to them. I haven’t heard any of them say they have complained to Cal or Mitch. I would think that would carry much more weight than fans complaining.

I just think it’s possible it may be a bigger deal to the fans than it is to them. I can’t imagine Mitch not listening to them. Maybe I’m wrong.

And yeah, I’ve like the baseball uniforms.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT