ADVERTISEMENT

Checkerboards or no? Vote on the great Kentucky uniform debate.

My question with this is why? I don’t understand the need in a loud obnoxious design. This is Kentucky Basketball we are talking about. The other blue bloods tend to stay pretty true to a classic design. That should be the case here in my opinion. Maybe change up some font or jersey cut or something occasionally. But, the basic design should be more traditional.

If we are using the checkerboard why not make it a subtle design cue on a traditional looking uniform.

Reactions: mktmaker
it's not as much about the look and design as it is about the players not liking them. If our players don't like them, then there are recruits that don't like them. And that's the most important thing of all. And if you don't think it matters to recruits what they wear, then you are very old, or extremely conservative. This goes to everyone that doesn't understand the uniform debate. I think most would agree that if 99% of the fans hate a certain look, but the players like it, then we stay with the uniforms.
I am concerned about a player who would care more about what they wear than WHO they play for.

The ‘checkerboard’ to college athletics means one thing... Tennessee Football.

Invent all you want about Secretariat (Virginia), to associate and force a pastiche history by a bunch of Nike nerds is stupid and condescending.

Now that TENNESSEE IS IN NIKE’s House, they TOO have integrated the checkerboard rightfully into their entire sports ensemble of uniforms...

How now to distinguish the two?

Well... AMPLIFY and double down on Kentuckys checkerboards to make them huge and look like picnic blankets!

Eff the checkerboards, Eff Nike, Eff Tennessee and Eff Mitch who is in love with them because he still Tennessee.

My question with this is why? I don’t understand the need in a loud obnoxious design. This is Kentucky Basketball we are talking about. The other blue bloods tend to stay pretty true to a classic design. That should be the case here in my opinion. Maybe change up some font or jersey cut or something occasionally. But, the basic design should be more traditional.

I believe that all started when Pitino went with those crazy "Cat scratch" unis around 94.

Before the mid-90s, UK had always preferred a classic understated traditional look. But Pitino dramatically changed that with the cat scratches, then the denim, and then god knows what else, with us switching from one loud design to another year after year.

I agree with you, I'd like to see us go back to one classic look, without any gimmicks like checkerboards, and stick with it for awhile.

Last edited:
Reactions: susan2361
I can tolerate some creativity on the shorts, but not the jersey. Cat scratches or checker board, meh.

ADVERTISEMENT