ADVERTISEMENT

Well done, Ugo

Smashcat

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2012
Sophomore center Ugonna Onyenso blocked seven shots in the first half alone. He finished the night with 10, breaking the previous record by a UK player in the building — shared by Sam Bowie, Willie Cauley-Stein and Andre Riddick — and matching the Rupp record set by Navy’s David Robinson (one of the greatest big men in basketball history) back in 1987.

Read more at: https://www.kentucky.com/sports/col...tball-men/article285410957.html#storylink=cpy

Ugo gave tremendous effort, congrats to him for solidifying himself as the legitimate force we need down low. The whole team looked significantly better on the defensive end.

Now let's go down to Auburn Sat and get a dub!

Ugo was awesome last night!!!

He not only protected the rim, he grabbed the ball with limited fumbles, dunked when he got it at the rim and was an intimidator on both ends!!

That is the way he must play going forward. Heck, his play even inspired Bradshaw to play harder and he even had a pretty good game!!

Our kids just need to keep up the energy for 40 minutes EVERY game!!!

I remember that game. I think Nerlens had like 4 of his 12 in the final 2-3 minutes. Great effort that night to get the Cats a big road win.
I remember a sequence where he had like three back to back at the rim in one possession. And we were fighting for our lives to make the tourney so he came up huge. Ended up not mattering but a great moment.

Sophomore center Ugonna Onyenso blocked seven shots in the first half alone. He finished the night with 10, breaking the previous record by a UK player in the building — shared by Sam Bowie, Willie Cauley-Stein and Andre Riddick — and matching the Rupp record set by Navy’s David Robinson (one of the greatest big men in basketball history) back in 1987.

Read more at: https://www.kentucky.com/sports/col...tball-men/article285410957.html#storylink=cpy

Been a minute since Holy Rowe said she felt like she was looking at the future, but he’s getting close.

I was at the game in '87 when David Robinson set the record. It was the only time I've ever seen -- or heard of -- the Rupp crowd giving an opposing player a standing ovation, which they did when he came out of the game for the last time with UK comfortably ahead.

Reactions: Fox2monk
LOL, Onyenso stated "he should have been credited with 11 blocks". Come on O, make somebody go back and watch the tape if you feel like you had 11 blocks. You would have the RUPP record by yourself.

UKO is averaging 3.2 blk/gm, but in only 17.1 mpg.
That equates to 5.6 blk-per-30min.
Only 2 UK players have ever (in 50+ years of that Stat) averaged more per game than that 3.2 (AD 4.7 and Noel 4.4).
And their block rate (per-30min) was less than his (5.6), (4.4 for AD & 4.2 for Noel).

But it does seem his rebounding is inversely related to his blocking shots, and we kinda need both from him.

It's an odd rotation...but Ugo is the defensive presence a bad defending team needs inside.

So to me, it's obvious Ugo is the 25 mpg Center....and I'd argue Ivisic is the other 15....but feels like it will be Bradshaw getting those backup minutes.

Hope he has a strong end to the season and solidifies his place at the 5. I really hope he returns next year as well, could take a big leap and provide some continuity.

Reactions: Fox2monk
It's insane Ugo did that in 24 minutes. David Robinson played all 40 minutes to get his 10 blocks back in '87. Ugo really had 11 but one of our guys got called for reaching in before the shot went up

I was at the game in '87 when David Robinson set the record. It was the only time I've ever seen -- or heard of -- the Rupp crowd giving an opposing player a standing ovation, which they did when he came out of the game for the last time with UK comfortably ahead.
The Admiral was one of a kind. I miss players like him. He was a post Master, amazing at defense, and tough as nails. I miss the game when players scored a variety of ways. Don’t get me wrong, high scoring 3 point shooting games are very fun but I miss old school post play, mid-range game with some 3 balls mixed in. Three level scorers.

Reactions: BlueBomb
It's insane Ugo did that in 24 minutes. David Robinson played all 40 minutes to get his 10 blocks back in '87. Ugo really had 11 but one of our guys got called for reaching in before the shot went up
UGo definitely lives up to his shot blocking ability that everyone said he had coming in. If he starts blocking them inbound where we can get the ball more often it’s gonna be great.

It's an odd rotation...but Ugo is the defensive presence a bad defending team needs inside.

So to me, it's obvious Ugo is the 25 mpg Center....and I'd argue Ivisic is the other 15....but feels like it will be Bradshaw getting those backup minutes.
Most of us feel that way but you can tell Cal is sitting Z on an island forever now. Only serious foul trouble or injury will he sniff any minutes.

Reactions: crestcat
Most of us feel that way but you can tell Cal is sitting Z on an island forever now. Only serious foul trouble or injury will he sniff any minutes.
And it's really pathetic that Cal feels the need, at his age and already in the Hall, to play these manipulative mind games with players. You'd think a guy who wants to act like such a players' coach wouldn't suck so much as a person. But he really does.

Z does lack focus at times but he's also ridiculously skilled. Find a way to focus his energy. Don't relegate him to the freaking bench.

And it's really pathetic that Cal feels the need, at his age and already in the Hall, to play these manipulative mind games with players. You'd think a guy who wants to act like such a players' coach wouldn't suck so much as a person. But he really does.

Z does lack focus at times but he's also ridiculously skilled. Find a way to focus his energy. Don't relegate him to the freaking bench.
It makes no sense man, not as bad as everyone has looked on defense.

It makes no sense man, not as bad as everyone has looked on defense.
All this being said about Z I'm glad we've found some defensive energy and I hope Ugonna and others can keep it up in tougher games. A long way to go. Praying about sports isn't appropriate but I'm doing everything short of that for our team to change the narrative. I don't enjoy being as pissed as I've been. Truth is I don't even want to be negative about Cal...he's just left me absolutely no choice the last few seasons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT