ADVERTISEMENT

Chandler to Kentucky

It's a good thing Cal didn't recruit McNeely, all of Cals recruits are gone. Don't try to twist my post into me being a Cal follower. I simply said that roster is not top 15 and it's not. You do know McNeely is a freshman ? Thought we wanted to get away from depending heavily on freshmen??? The Drexler center is a solid rotation player, but he is NOT a type of player we need to depend on as our top 2 or 3 players. He just isn't that.
You know not how good McNeely is going to be? He is an actual basketball player that can shoot, handle and is a high IQ player.

I like Chandler.,
Watched videos and was impressed.
Looks like an excellent, well-rounded player. Great start !!

The 2010 Duke team had 10 white guys and 4 black guys. Not many other major D1 schools were made up like that in 2010.

4490174685_9b661f60a5_w.jpg

Wait …what? A “traditional back to the basket center”?

Unless I’m on drugs, that’s one of the most “WTF?” posts ever here. I thought Chandler was an athletic guard.
I was talking about the big man from Drexel.

Pope's offense is amazing for post scorers. He allows them to take 3-4 dribbles in the paint. And the defense can't double team the post because it's an easy 3. Go watch some vids on Pope's offense. A good post scorer would put up numbers here in bunches.
Except for the center in Popes offense a lot of times initiates the offense from the top of the key. It is why the Kalifia kid averaged as many assist as he did points. he averaged 4 assist and 5.7 points. Come on man, you need to research more. The Noah Waterman kid only averaged 2.3 2FG attempted per game, making 1.5 of them, while he attempted 4.7 3FG per game, making 1.7. Doesn't look like a lot of post shots from their 2 main big men to me. Do you know what 5 out is ? You may want to get familiar with it if not. Traore the 6'6 254 pound PF is the ONLY post threat they had. He scored Most of his points on 2's (4.2 made per game, but not all of those 4.2 was around the basket, he shot a lot of 8-10 foot jumpers. He is the guy I want most from BYU. Averaged 11 points and a little over 5 boards per game. he is a bruiser, and can score inside, but not exclusively. he is not a 3 point shooter, but he excels making the 8-10 foot face up jumper.

You know not how good McNeely is going to be? He is an actual basketball player that can shoot, handle and is a high IQ player.
I can't really make out what your post is saying, I think it is "I do not know how good McNeely is going to be." Well you don't either. He will be a freshman, we have all seen the freshman who come in and do not perform to FANS expectations. Give me the more seasoned, college proven portal guy over the MIGHT perform at the 5 star level ranking.

Reactions: dl51344
I can't really make out what your post is saying, I think it is "I do not know how good McNeely is going to be." Well you don't either. He will be a freshman, we have all seen the freshman who come in and do not perform to FANS expectations. Give me the more seasoned, college proven portal guy over the MIGHT perform at the 5 star level ranking.
Pope has already said he wants to recruit any freshman that is right for his system. Think he will always have a couple, especially wanting not to miss on any Kentucky kids. McNeely is a great player from what I have seen and read about him. I see no way we could go wrong with him. He can obviously shoot, a basketball IQ and has even played the one some, so his ball handling is high for his size. Moves well with and without the ball. Pope's system seems to fit him perfect. Guys that can move, shoot and is smart with basketball savvy, and he fits that label.

The 2010 Duke team had 10 white guys and 4 black guys. Not many other major D1 schools were made up like that in 2010.

I had to watch that Final Four and championship in person because I bought tickets when the bracket came out as I was sure we were going to the Final Four and then WVU ended that.

This was Duke's easiest path to a championship.

16 Arkansas Pine-Bliff
8 Cal
4 Purdue without their best player
3 Baylor
2 WVU
5 Butler

They blew out WVU as WVU didn't look like they did the previous week. Butler was the only one who really came close of beating them. The 2010 Duke team is easily one of the top 5 worst national champions in my lifetime and they were a one seed.

Pope has already said he wants to recruit any freshman that is right for his system. Think he will always have a couple, especially wanting not to miss on any Kentucky kids. McNeely is a great player from what I have seen and read about him. I see no way we could go wrong with him. He can obviously shoot, a basketball IQ and has even played the one some, so his ball handling is high for his size. Moves well with and without the ball. Pope's system seems to fit him perfect. Guys that can move, shoot and is smart with basketball savvy, and he fits that label.
Oh I agree, I want him at UK. BUT, do NOT put a ton of pressure on the kid to perform as a true freshman to unreasonable expectations.. He will have those great shooting nights, but he will also be very inconsistent and will struggle to guard in college. He is a FRESHMAN, we are trying to get away from being heavily dependent on young guys, yes he is very talented, but YES he is freshman stepping on to a VERY big stage. If we depend on him for 25-30 mpg, we will be exactly what we have been. Get some proven, veteran players from the portal that already been thru the growing pains, and sprinkle in the high recruits to HELP out, not depend on them to carry us.

Except for the center in Popes offense a lot of times initiates the offense from the top of the key. It is why the Kalifia kid averaged as many assist as he did points. he averaged 4 assist and 5.7 points. Come on man, you need to research more. The Noah Waterman kid only averaged 2.3 2FG attempted per game, making 1.5 of them, while he attempted 4.7 3FG per game, making 1.7. Doesn't look like a lot of post shots from their 2 main big men to me. Do you know what 5 out is ? You may want to get familiar with it if not. Traore the 6'6 254 pound PF is the ONLY post threat they had. He scored Most of his points on 2's (4.2 made per game, but not all of those 4.2 was around the basket, he shot a lot of 8-10 foot jumpers. He is the guy I want most from BYU. Averaged 11 points and a little over 5 boards per game. he is a bruiser, and can score inside, but not exclusively. he is not a 3 point shooter, but he excels making the 8-10 foot face up jumper.
We need somebody with some size and height down low, not only for rim protection on Defense, but somebody with some post moves as well because they will have a lot of one on one situations down low that they need to be able to finish on. They also need to be adept at finding the open man to kick out to if a defense decides to drop another guy down low to double team him.

We need somebody with some size and height down low, not only for rim protection on Defense, but somebody with some post moves as well because they will have a lot of one on one situations down low that they need to be able to finish on. They also need to be adept at finding the open man to kick out to if a defense decides to drop another guy down low to double team him.
Agree with you assessment, but Pope's offense a lot of the time, the big man is out at the top of the key. 5 out, we need slashers to take advantage of the spacing, but also stretch bigs that can draw there man away from the post and allow penetration. Without a stretch big, we would clog the lane with a post guy, he HAS to be able to at least make the mid range shot. One of the biggest pluses in Pope's offense is the trailing big man who can spot up and knock down the 3. We do not need lane cloggers, we need bigs who are multi level scorers. Pope is NOT going to change his system to allow a big man to camp out in and clog up driving lanes. yes we need rebounding and a post scorer for put backs and around the rim scoring, but he needs to be able to move.
Some one like the BYU kid Trajore. he is 6'6 255 pounds and is lethal physically attacking the rim, but he starts out around the free throw line and drives it right into the defender.

Oh I agree, I want him at UK. BUT, do NOT put a ton of pressure on the kid to perform as a true freshman to unreasonable expectations.. He will have those great shooting nights, but he will also be very inconsistent and will struggle to guard in college. He is a FRESHMAN, we are trying to get away from being heavily dependent on young guys, yes he is very talented, but YES he is freshman stepping on to a VERY big stage. If we depend on him for 25-30 mpg, we will be exactly what we have been. Get some proven, veteran players from the portal that already been thru the growing pains, and sprinkle in the high recruits to HELP out, not depend on them to carry us.
Yeah, if we have Perry, Chandler and McNeely that would be a very good young class to have a year to learn from the older guys.

Yeah, if we have Perry, Chandler and McNeely that would be a very good young class to have a year to learn from the older guys.
Yeap. Let them learn at a normal freshman pace. They may actually perform a lot better with less pressure. Remember, these guys are all talented, but they are not even the top elite recruits. And I know before anybody says it, neither was Sheppard, or Dillingham for that matter. BUT you have to look at %s. More times than not, the #35-45 and #70-75 ranked guys, play like their number and the top 15 guys (not only at UK) but tops guys all around the country, play closer to their number. There are outliers and some success stories, but averages show, the more lofty ranking, they better the result. Duh, I know.

get Reed and Burks back, to go with Perry and this kid. Add Robinson, Mcneely ,Amari, and Brea and you have you are cooking . That would be a top 15 team minimum .
I just don't see how Jordan Burks is a Kentucky type talent. Doesn't do anything really well, more along the lines of a Lance Ware type player. Maybe he will improve this offseason immensely, but nothing he has done to this point is at all impressive and or encouraging moving forward.

LOL! You had to go back 14 years to support your statement of “until a few years ago”, which is intended to make it sound like it was always that way “until a few years ago”. You found ONE team!

I had to watch that Final Four and championship in person because I bought tickets when the bracket came out as I was sure we were going to the Final Four and then WVU ended that.

This was Duke's easiest path to a championship.

16 Arkansas Pine-Bliff
8 Cal
4 Purdue without their best player
3 Baylor
2 WVU
5 Butler

They blew out WVU as WVU didn't look like they did the previous week. Butler was the only one who really came close of beating them. The 2010 Duke team is easily one of the top 5 worst national champions in my lifetime and they were a one seed.
Eh, they had a good path, but you can only play the teams in front of you. And they were one of only two Kenpom teams with an AdjEM in the 30’s. They also beat some good teams out of conference. They were a 1 seed, so not like they were a surprise. And it looks kind of silly to belittle a team that beat the team that took your team out. Same as 2015.

Eh, they had a good path, but you can only play the teams in front of you. And they were one of only two Kenpom teams with an AdjEM in the 30’s. They also beat some good teams out of conference. They were a 1 seed, so not like they were a surprise. And it looks kind of silly to belittle a team that beat the team that took your team out. Same as 2015.
Oh, I know they beat the teams in front of them. That's all you can do. Maybe if Calipari didn't commit coaching malpractice by having his guys jack up 34 threes against a 1-3-1 zone, it wouldn't have went like that.

Pope's offense is amazing for post scorers. He allows them to take 3-4 dribbles in the paint. And the defense can't double team the post because it's an easy 3. Go watch some vids on Pope's offense. A good post scorer would put up numbers here in bunches.
Watched 8 BYU games on YouTube this past week. Would highly recommend that. Commercial and halftime free. If we could get them I think Robinson, Saunders, Khalifa and a couple more are takes . I know some don't like Khalifa because of size, but he's a big floor general and knows what coach wants done Like I said, check out games and not highlights. I watched KU, NCSt, UCF, 2 ISTU, Baylor, Houston.

Reactions: RunninRichie
LOL! You had to go back 14 years to support your statement of “until a few years ago”, which is intended to make it sound like it was always that way “until a few years ago”. You found ONE team!
LOL you act like 14 years was so long ago. I could go back and find more but don't care enough since I have proven it was true. Coach K realized after 2010 he was going to have to go after the top kids, got into the one and done market and changed his mostly white kid mindset. Like it or not he did it.

LOL you act like 14 years was so long ago. I could go back and find more but don't care enough since I have proven it was true. Coach K realized after 2010 he was going to have to go after the top kids, got into the one and done market and changed his mostly white kid mindset. Like it or not he did it.
14 years ago certainly wasn’t “a few years ago”. I don’t think there as many teams that fit your description as you do, especially when you look mostly at the players who played the most and contributed the most. But like you, I don’t care enough to sit down and make a list year by year. But like it or not; to say “until a few years ago”, Duke teams were 66% white is just not factual.

14 years ago certainly wasn’t “a few years ago”. I don’t think there as many teams that fit your description as you do, especially when you look mostly at the players who played the most and contributed the most. But like you, I don’t care enough to sit down and make a list year by year. But like it or not; to say “until a few years ago”, Duke teams were 66% white is just not factual.
Dude he favored white guys. Just admit it and you will feel better about yourself. Oh and where is the exact definition that 14 isn't a few?

Ok. And a few minutes ago was this past Saturday!! Whatever man
Fourteen minutes ago was a few minutes ago was it not? I mean you are comparing hundreds of minutes and saying it is a few. If someone asked you how long ago something happened that was 14 minutes ago would you say it was a long time ago or a few minutes?

I mean are you really that stupid? Well you are a Duke fan who thinks Coach K didn't favor white players so I would assume you probably are.

Fourteen minutes ago was a few minutes ago was it not? I mean you are comparing hundreds of minutes and saying it is a few. If someone asked you how long ago something happened that was 14 minutes ago would you say it was a long time ago or a few minutes?

I mean are you really that stupid? Well you are a Duke fan who thinks Coach K didn't favor white players so I would assume you probably are.
Calling someone stupid because they don’t think 14 years is a few years is laughable. If you get an estimate for a car repair and the mechanic says it’s going to probably be a few thousand, there is no way in hell 14,000 enters your mind… Show me three or four teams That K coached that were 66% white, or get off your soapbox

Calling someone stupid because they don’t think 14 years is a few years is laughable. If you get an estimate for a car repair and the mechanic says it’s going to probably be a few thousand, there is no way in hell 14,000 enters your mind… Show me three or four teams That K coached that were 66% white, or get off your soapbox
Obviously it would need to be 3-4 of the last 5 or you will not accept it. So instead I can do better than that and send you to the land of weeping and gnashing of teeth also known as the ignore zone. I need a lot of things in my life but idiotic Duke fans is not one of them. Have fun rooting for your freshmen next year.

Coach K realized after 2010 he was going to have to go after the top kids, got into the one and done market and changed his mostly white kid mindset. Like it or not he did it.
This is silly. He did not have any sort of intentional “mostly white kids” recruiting strategy. For example, his 99 team that went 37-2 and reached the national title game had zero white players in its main rotation. And his 01 national champs had only one (Dunleavy). The 2010 team was more an anomaly than the norm for him.

What did change for him after 2010 …as he’s admitted …is that he became open to the idea of recruiting guys that he knew only saw college as a one or two year pit stop, Before that he only targeted kids he thought would stay several years and try to graduate. But he eventually realized that approach would no longer work in the one and done era.

Reactions: Blueheart32
Recruiting kids that can shoot and score instead of jumping really high. This feels nice.
Sorry to disappoint, he can actually jump real high. And couldn’t the last recruits shoot? What about Jamal Murray, Maxey, Herro, Quickley, Dilly, etc? And chandler can shoot but not from deep like any of those players

Sorry to disappoint, he can actually jump real high. And couldn’t the last recruits shoot? What about Jamal Murray, Maxey, Herro, Quickley, Dilly, etc? And chandler can shoot but not from deep like any of those players
You’re right. I’m really going to miss the Wheelers, Goodwins, Wallace’s, and Briscoes of the world. For all the guys you named, I could name two that got recruited for things not named shooting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT