ADVERTISEMENT

Chandler to Kentucky

Thrilled this is the type of player I've been screaming for Cal to get for years.

A complimentary piece like a Doron Lamb... no reason we shouldn't of had that type of player every single season. This guy seems to be more athletic than Lamb as well.

Thrilled this is the type of player I've been screaming for Cal to get for years.

A complimentary piece like a Doron Lamb... no reason we shouldn't of had that type of player every single season. This guy seems to be more athletic than Lamb as well.
Yeah, having a bunch of talented freshmen looks great on paper but when they're having to compete against guys already in their 20s, some 23, 24, and up, it just makes things difficult for the 18-year-olds to compete. They may well be more talented, but there is much more involved with being a great player than just pure talent. Reed was a rare player as a freshman because of his strength, great hands, great instincts, and steady play. (even he had freshman struggles at key times, though) Dillingham is another rare guy as a freshman- he could dominate at times. But there again we all saw his freshman struggles. It's even more important, in my opinion, for freshman forwards and centers. Lack of muscle mass and lack of strength are just par for the course with 18-year-olds. A guy like Cousins who came in at 6-11 270 is a rare thing. Most of them look like the freshmen UK had this season- tall, skinny, and weak. I don't care how talented you are, if you're 7-1 210 competing against 23-year-olds who are 7-0 245 or something similar, you're losing that matchup. We struggled defending big men and rebounding this season for that very reason.

So, Collin Chandler coming in as a 20-year-old freshman is definitely a good thing, in my view. If we could get Reed back, we'd be in good shape in the backcourt.

get Reed and Burks back, to go with Perry and this kid. Add Robinson, Mcneely ,Amari, and Brea and you have you are cooking . That would be a top 15 team minimum .
No it wouldn't. I am excited for the new beginning, but that squad would NOT be anywhere near a top 15 team. A star (Reed), a seldom used bench player (Burks), a young freshman (Perry), a 20 year old freshman who hasn't played organized ball in 2 years (Chandler), A very average Drexel slow big man, and other freshmen would not be very good. If THIS is the team we end up with, I will be very concerned. But not surprised, this was to be expected replacing a coach so late in the game. I think we get a couple very solid portal guys who can score and with some seasoning, another BYU kid or two, Reed coming back is the BIG domino. If he comes back, I think he can pull some talent from the portal. A lot of these big name small school kids, transfer to have a shot at winning. No Reed and it will be tough as they will look at that roster and think, "I have a better chance elsewhere."

He and Perry are perfect recruits for the focus change. Both talented but unlikely to be one and done's. Each have certain ethics and now we need some good portal transfers, a decent big man, and next season will be the start to building the teams that have success.

Why thinking next season was supposed to be the national championship or close is unrealistic.

Reactions: dckala2
No it wouldn't. I am excited for the new beginning, but that squad would NOT be anywhere near a top 15 team. A star (Reed), a seldom used bench player (Burks), a young freshman (Perry), a 20 year old freshman who hasn't played organized ball in 2 years (Chandler), A very average Drexel slow big man, and other freshmen would not be very good. If THIS is the team we end up with, I will be very concerned. But not surprised, this was to be expected replacing a coach so late in the game. I think we get a couple very solid portal guys who can score and with some seasoning, another BYU kid or two, Reed coming back is the BIG domino. If he comes back, I think he can pull some talent from the portal. A lot of these big name small school kids, transfer to have a shot at winning. No Reed and it will be tough as they will look at that roster and think, "I have a better chance elsewhere."
Amari Williams is slow?

Jaxson Robinson was the star of BYU.. Brea shot better than Reed did. Chandler remembers how to play basketball, he's not senile and 4 months of being on campus will be more than enough time to get back in the groove. I guess you overlook McNeely because Cal didnt recruit him...

look at the #14 team in the country , Clemson. compare that to the players I mentioned.

Recruiting kids that can shoot and score instead of jumping really high. This feels nice.
…also recruiting players who will be here for years and not just an 8-month touch & go.

I am looking forward to seeing these youngsters as juniors and seniors in the years to come.

GBB!

Hopefully we get that Khalifa kid too
Please NO! 38% FG shooter, 62% FT shooter, BAD rebounder, and cannot defend away from the basket. He can pass, and isn't horrible shooting 3's.
Honestly if he could just rebound I might take him, but at 5.7 reb per30min, that's significantly worse than every UK non-guard last year except Edwards.

Amari Williams is slow?

Jaxson Robinson was the star of BYU.. Brea shot better than Reed did. Chandler remembers how to play basketball, he's not senile and 4 months of being on campus will be more than enough time to get back in the groove. I guess you overlook McNeely because Cal didnt recruit him...

look at the #14 team in the country , Clemson. compare that to the players I mentioned.
You aren't taking Williams for his quickness. He's 3-time conference DEF POY, he rebounds, he can score a few, and at 250-260 he won't get pushed around/bullied.

So he hasn’t played in 2 years? Is that how the mission thing works? Might take him a while to get back in playing shape?
I was hoping we would get this kid.

Yeah I don't know that much about the mission thing, but if a kid ranked that high can just put his life on hold for 2 years for his faith then I'm not worried about his discipline and getting back quickly.

He and Perry are perfect recruits for the focus change. Both talented but unlikely to be one and done's. Each have certain ethics and now we need some good portal transfers, a decent big man, and next season will be the start to building the teams that have success.

Why thinking next season was supposed to be the national championship or close is unrealistic.

I think next season we will be decent, but Pope’s second season is when I think we can possibly get #9.

Probably won't be a popular take and I hope he proves me wrong, but if we are reliant on major minutes from Perry as freshman, it'd mean we are in major rebuilding year.

Until a few years ago 2/3 of Duke's team were white guys and nobody said a word.
And they wouldn't have said anything if it was them that faced Texas Western instead of us either.

We have never been on fair footing here and won't be again if we are not aware and judicious.

We just fixed this for the most part, lets be sure not to take the bogus rap right back up as we change the culture.
The two must never be conflated, it is wholly toxic.

Amari Williams is slow?

It's a good thing Cal didn't recruit McNeely, all of Cals recruits are gone. Don't try to twist my post into me being a Cal follower. I simply said that roster is not top 15 and it's not. You do know McNeely is a freshman ? Thought we wanted to get away from depending heavily on freshmen??? The Drexler center is a solid rotation player, but he is NOT a type of player we need to depend on as our top 2 or 3 players. He just isn't that.

Last edited:
Reactions: bookerfan66
I lived out west for a few years. It always amazed me how athletic those Mormon kids were. I caught many a fish with some of those dudes and they were solid humans too.

He is also a traditional back to the basket center who scores MOSTLY around the rim. Quit watching highlight reels, they all make players look great. He never missed a shot in the one I watched. Dude must be a lights out shooter. Would be a nice addition. But I do not see a guy who can step up in competition and play as dominate as he did in their conference. Yes guys from the smaller school can and do succeed in steeping up in competition, but he is not one I feel could. We will see I guess. Bookmark our debate and we can come back to it during the year where ever he ends up. (Probably Indiana). He doesn't look slow to you because look at the guys guarding him.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
He is also a traditional back to the basket center who scores MOSTLY around the rim. Quit watching highlight reels, they all make players look great. He never missed a shot in the one I watched. Dude must be a lights out shooter. Would be a nice addition. But I do not see a guy who can step up in competition and play as dominate as he did in their conference. Yes guys from the smaller school can and do succeed in steeping up in competition, but he is not one I feel could. We will see I guess. Bookmark our debate and we can come back to it during the year where ever he ends up. (Probably Indiana)
Pope's offense is amazing for post scorers. He allows them to take 3-4 dribbles in the paint. And the defense can't double team the post because it's an easy 3. Go watch some vids on Pope's offense. A good post scorer would put up numbers here in bunches.

If he could train, he has been on a mission trip
It depends. I've had a friend do a mission in Australia and it was pretty Australian. Had dude I vaguely knew that did a mission trip to South Korea and he was not doing lots of stuff outside the church. Lots of guys do their mission trip in the US or in countries that have modern convenience. It's not all 3rd world countries with no electric.

Has anyone even said where he did his mission? I know some even do their mission in Utah.

Reactions: Name on the front
It depends. I've had a friend do a mission in Australia and it was pretty Australian. Had dude I vaguely knew that did a mission trip to South Korea and he was not doing lots of stuff outside the church. Lots of guys do their mission trip in the US or in countries that have modern convenience. It's not all 3rd world countries with no electric.

Has anyone even said where he did his mission? I know some even do their mission in Utah.
Sierra Leon

Reactions: AzubuikeandFitch
Reed isn't coming back, man. Just get the heartbreak over with.

But also you are shortchanging some of those other pieces - 3x dpoy is not very average, as others have pointed out. The "other freshman" in this scenario is a burger boy who got there on shooting and decision-making, not just being an athlete who is ahead of his young peers like some of our former recruits.

Then throw in the top 3 three point shooter in the country that you missed from the quoted post, as well as that excellent OK State guard, and then a number of other role players to fill in the gaps -

Will certainly take time to gel, with a brand new system, the freshmen will take time to mature, and Chandler will have to knock off rust, but I see no reason why that roster couldn't be worthy of ranking by February or so.

That being said, this is all silly, because there are probably a dozen more names we'll be involved with before the portal closes and we're just throwing darts at the wall right now.

The off-season is nothing like it used to be, which is good news for us, because our next season would have no option but to suck in the pre portal era.

Reactions: Name on the front
Until a few years ago 2/3 of Duke's team were white guys and nobody said a word.
What year? I can’t think of a single one that fits that description, in the last few years. The 2010 title team was but that’s about the only one I can think of

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT