ADVERTISEMENT

Chances Oliver Sarr stays at Wake Forest?

You might want to read this quote from Sarr before you continue to say that he will return to Wake Forest.
The biggest factor in his recruitment? Winning. After “some tough years” at Wake Forest, Sarr wants to be a part of a winning program. Whether that can be in Winston-Salem next year under Forbes, or if it needs to be elsewhere, that will be the next step in his decision-making process.

“My drive is winning,” he said. “Everybody knows there’s been some tough years with Wake. I tried my best individually to improve and work on my game, but really, in the next program I’m looking for a winning program. A winning team with ambition. A team that plays with intensity.”

While we wait for Sarr to announce which schools have reached out – Kentucky is expected to be one.

So you think he can achieve those goals at Wake Forest next year. Good luck
You might want to read the blow paragraph that’s was in the KSR post this morning:

“Initial rumblings indicate a return to Wake Forest remains a possibility, but should he leave, Kentucky immediately becomes a strong option. There is also speculation that Sarr still explores his overseas options, as well”.

I’m not saying he will definitely stay at WF you act like there isn’t a chance. My initial post I said 50/50 and I’ve read or heard nothing to change that.

You might want to read the blow paragraph that’s was in the KSR post this morning:

“Initial rumblings indicate a return to Wake Forest remains a possibility, but should he leave, Kentucky immediately becomes a strong option. There is also speculation that Sarr still explores his overseas options, as well”.

I’m not saying he will definitely stay at WF you act like there isn’t a chance. My initial post I said 50/50 and I’ve read or heard nothing to change that.
He will not stay at Wake Forest. That is a definite.

If you are so sure he stays at Wake let's put a little wager on it.

Has he put out a list of finalists? I know teams are interested in him, but not sure I've seen who Sarr is interested in.

Sure. If he stays at WF you stop posting on here. If he leaves WF I will say you were right. Does that work?
Why do I have to stop posting and you only have to say I am right if you lose. Wow. What a lack of common sense.

If Cal thinks we need him then we need him.

Cal also wanted Sestina.

I was just asking for evidence that this guy is a “fourth option” type player. That puts him as a 30mpg double digit scorer, IMHO.

I’m skeptical that Williams can have that kind of impact.

I see him more as a role player off the bench like Sestina.

I personally think that Brooks ends up as the fourth option behind Clarke, Boston, and Sarr(if he signs and is eligible).

I was hoping you had some good reasons why you think he would push Brooks out as the fourth option. I wanted you to convince me that he is a star, because I just don’t see it.

Does Forbes want Sarr to stay bad enough ? Because if he rehires the one assistant coach that Sarr was close to, then the thought is that Sarr would return.

And Sarr disabling comments on his Instagram due to Our fans.... that’s not a good sign.

At this point...I think no one has a clue outside of his family.

The Wake Forrest program has now completely changed with a new coach and all the kids are off campus. He just entered the portal and will get to see his interest from other programs.

Playing in the ACC may help us for him...he's played at UNC, Duke, and UofL. He's seen big crowds and the Carolinas are basketball crazy...so he will probably have an idea of what to expect from a program like Kentucky.

It also could be like Haarms and hurt us...but considering he's played bigger minutes against top competition unlike Haarms at Purdue...he may feel more confident in playing at Kentucky.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Cal also wanted Sestina.

I was just asking for evidence that this guy is a “fourth option” type player. That puts him as a 30mpg double digit scorer, IMHO.

I personally think that Brooks ends up as the fourth option behind Clarke, Boston, and Sarr(if he signs and is eligible).

I was hoping you had some good reasons why you think he would push Brooks out as the fourth option. I wanted you to convince me that he is a star, because I just don’t see it.

I'm not KL, but I think Williams is an intriguing option. For one, he's old, He'll be 24 at the start of the 20/21 season. He was in DeAaron Fox's class out of high school. Fox and Monk would've been seniors last year, but Williams was in a home school program and then bounced around post-grad/junior colleges for a couple years. Thus, he was ruled ineligible in 18/19, losing his theoretical freshman year. He then played last year as a sophomore. I think that bodes well for us, given that he will be a more mature, physically-developed player.

In his 2/3rds season at Evansville, he put up some good shooting numbers on threes and free throws too. I don't think he's going to be a 15 PPG 7 RPG guy like at Evansville, but a nice 8 and 4 or 9 and 5 would be a candidate for our fourth option (if Sarr came here too)

He will not stay at Wake Forest. That is a definite.

From Aaron Torres:
Know Kentucky fans are mad at the Wake Forest coach taking shots at their program, but Wake can ultimately sell something no one else can: A guarantee he can play next year. Still think its more likely he returns to Wake than anything else.

I'm not KL, but I think Williams is an intriguing option. For one, he's old, He'll be 24 at the start of the 20/21 season. He was in DeAaron Fox's class out of high school. Fox and Monk would've been seniors last year, but Williams was in a home school program and then bounced around post-grad/junior colleges for a couple years. Thus, he was ruled ineligible in 18/19, losing his theoretical freshman year. He then played last year as a sophomore. I think that bodes well for us, given that he will be a more mature, physically-developed player.

In his 2/3rds season at Evansville, he put up some good shooting numbers on threes and free throws too. I don't think he's going to be a 15 PPG 7 RPG guy like at Evansville, but a nice 8 and 4 or 9 and 5 would be a candidate for our fourth option (if Sarr came here too)
I agree with you. I think he would be a great addition and wound much rather have him than Haarms or Williams. I just believe ultimately he may stay at Wake.

I’m skeptical about Williams. Being a big time producer at a mid-major doesn’t usually translate to being a big time producer at a P5. See Nate Sestina. How is Williams different? I am not that familiar with him, so I really want to know what makes him so coveted? I’ll hang up and listen.

It took Sestina three years to become the guy he was at Bucknell. Williams has done it in two seasons, and his overall game is better. He can drive from the perimeter and finish, unlike Nate. He's as good a shooter as Sestina, if not better. His rebound numbers are about the same and his shot blocking numbers are similar. His ability to generate offense as a passer is much better. Sestina averaged about 1 assist per game per 27 minutes and Williams averaged almost three assists per 27 minutes. Sestin'a s PER at Bucknell hovered in the 20s. Williams' is close to 32 after two seasons at Evansville.

I think he could have been an 18 and 8 guy with another season at Evansville. At UK, that likely translates to about 9 and 6, which to me is better than depending on Ware or Jackson for that type of production. He's capable of giving UK double digit scoring consistently, which it a reality probably presently limited to Askew, Boston, Clarke, and Brooks.

From Aaron Torres:
Know Kentucky fans are mad at the Wake Forest coach taking shots at their program, but Wake can ultimately sell something no one else can: A guarantee he can play next year. Still think its more likely he returns to Wake than anything else.
Not happening

Reactions: UKEE
From Aaron Torres:
Aaron is a great national analyst that isn't connected well on the regional level. He probably has a few good contacts for the big names and programs, but he is probably just giving a guess for now.

Cal also wanted Sestina.

Comparing Sestina and Williams is a little strange. I loved Nate, but there was never any buzz about him in the NBA. Williams is awaiting feedback right now and still has 2 years to play. Most around him feel like he will be a PRO which was never the feeling about Sestina.

Williams has been hurt too and not had the kind of talent around him that he would here and I think that only boast his game with passes coming from guys like Boston and Clarke.

. From Evan Daniels.

I don’t understand the assumption by some that he would get a waiver. The NCAA doesn’t/hasn’t given waivers for coaches being fired previously
Keep wishing. I listed several transfers earlier that received waivers in 2019 without any reason. Northern Kentucky coach left to go to Cincinnati last year. One of his players at Northern transferred to Cincinnati with him and got a waiver. If he transfers he will get a waiver. Sorry

IF he transfers? I thought you said there wasn’t a chance he was going to stay at WF.

Keep wishing. I listed several transfers earlier that received waivers in 2019 without any reason. Northern Kentucky coach left to go to Cincinnati last year. One of his players at Northern transferred to Cincinnati with him and got a waiver. If he transfers he will get a waiver. Sorry

Might as well repost your list. It was nice work.

Might as well repost your list. It was nice work.
Here is a semi-complete list of college basketball players who earned eligibility waivers in 2019. Links to each players’ Sports Reference pages are included as well. And this list does not include freshman that transferred and were immediately eligible. Based on the head coach being fired and the coronavirus issue I think Sarr's chances of receiving a waiver are very good.

Seniors (non-grad transfers)
Markus Golder, Portland State (via Valparaiso)
Lamar Hamrick, Portland State (via Detroit)
Jaylen Poyser, McNeese State (via St. Bonaventure)
Mohamed Thiam, Iona (via New Mexico State)

Juniors
Alex Barcello, BYU (via Arizona)
Chris Barnes, Eastern Michigan (via Tulsa)
Troy Baxter, Morgan State (via Florida Gulf Coast)
Tervell Beck, Kent State (via UNLV)
Khameron Davis, Weber State (via Pittsburgh)
Andrew Gordon, Louisiana Tech (via West Virginia)
Elias Harden, Jacksonville State (via Xavier)
Danya Kingsby, Bradley (via LSU)
John Knight III, Southern Utah (via Utah State)
Zeke Moore, SIU-Edwardsville (via Tulsa)
Donnie Tillman, UNLV (via Utah)
John Walker, Texas Southern (via Texas A&M)
Isaiah Washington, Iona (via Minnesota)
Shawn Williams, New Mexico State (via East Carolina)

Sophomores
Darius Beane, Northern Illinois (via Southern Illinois)
Shandon Brown, Niagara (via George Washington)
Michael Carter III, Long Beach State (via South Dakota State)
Karrington Davis, Southern Illinois (via Nebraska)
Duncan DeMuth, Vermont (via Oklahoma State)
Trey Doomes, Chattanooga (via West Virginia)
Myles Douglas, Saint Joseph’s (via UCF)
Amir Harris, George Washington (via Nebraska)
Brady Heiman, South Dakota (via Nebraska)
Chase Johnson, Dayton (via Florida)
Joshua Mballa, Buffalo (via Texas Tech)
Angus McWilliam, UC Riverside (via TCU)
L.J. Owens, UMBC (via William & Mary)
Jared Rodriguez, San Diego (via Idaho)
Omar Silverio, Hofstra (via Rhode Island)
Tyler Stewart, Saint Francis (PA) (via Binghamton)
Calvin Temple, Louisiana (via IUPUI)
David Wingett, South Dakota State (via Memphis)

Some of these transfers have no special circumstance that the NCAA should have approved the waiver but they did.

Here is a semi-complete list of college basketball players who earned eligibility waivers in 2019. Links to each players’ Sports Reference pages are included as well. And this list does not include freshman that transferred and were immediately eligible. Based on the head coach being fired and the coronavirus issue I think Sarr's chances of receiving a waiver are very good.

Seniors (non-grad transfers)
Markus Golder, Portland State (via Valparaiso)
Lamar Hamrick, Portland State (via Detroit)
Jaylen Poyser, McNeese State (via St. Bonaventure)
Mohamed Thiam, Iona (via New Mexico State)

Juniors
Alex Barcello, BYU (via Arizona)
Chris Barnes, Eastern Michigan (via Tulsa)
Troy Baxter, Morgan State (via Florida Gulf Coast)
Tervell Beck, Kent State (via UNLV)
Khameron Davis, Weber State (via Pittsburgh)
Andrew Gordon, Louisiana Tech (via West Virginia)
Elias Harden, Jacksonville State (via Xavier)
Danya Kingsby, Bradley (via LSU)
John Knight III, Southern Utah (via Utah State)
Zeke Moore, SIU-Edwardsville (via Tulsa)
Donnie Tillman, UNLV (via Utah)
John Walker, Texas Southern (via Texas A&M)
Isaiah Washington, Iona (via Minnesota)
Shawn Williams, New Mexico State (via East Carolina)

Sophomores
Darius Beane, Northern Illinois (via Southern Illinois)
Shandon Brown, Niagara (via George Washington)
Michael Carter III, Long Beach State (via South Dakota State)
Karrington Davis, Southern Illinois (via Nebraska)
Duncan DeMuth, Vermont (via Oklahoma State)
Trey Doomes, Chattanooga (via West Virginia)
Myles Douglas, Saint Joseph’s (via UCF)
Amir Harris, George Washington (via Nebraska)
Brady Heiman, South Dakota (via Nebraska)
Chase Johnson, Dayton (via Florida)
Joshua Mballa, Buffalo (via Texas Tech)
Angus McWilliam, UC Riverside (via TCU)
L.J. Owens, UMBC (via William & Mary)
Jared Rodriguez, San Diego (via Idaho)
Omar Silverio, Hofstra (via Rhode Island)
Tyler Stewart, Saint Francis (PA) (via Binghamton)
Calvin Temple, Louisiana (via IUPUI)
David Wingett, South Dakota State (via Memphis)

Some of these transfers have no special circumstance that the NCAA should have approved the waiver but they did.

how many is this, like 40 or so? I read today that there were 600+ transfers last season. So that would be less than 10% that got a waiver.

I hope Sarr gets one but I don’t think it’s a certain or even 50/50 shot right now.

how many is this, like 40 or so? I read today that there were 600+ transfers last season. So that would be less than 10% that got a waiver.

I hope Sarr gets one but I don’t think it’s a certain or even 50/50 shot right now.
I never said it was certain but he probably has a better chance this year than most with the circumstances.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Dude are you an ass on every post you make? I see now why other posters on here can’t stand you. The small campus and media remarks were in an article on KSR...do some research before opening your mouth and showing your intelligence.

Be careful where you steal a quote from. Wake Forest is a great school and expensive as hell. Basketball not so hot for last few years but academically top notch.

I’ll do something not a lot on this board will do...I WAS WRONG. That being said I’m glad I was.

Reactions: kl40504
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT