ADVERTISEMENT

CFB Players Opting Out of Season

Is he high risk?

if not, then if I’m an nfl team, I wouldn’t draft him

"I am opting out due to uncertain health conditions and regulations and all the other opt outs going on in football right now. I tragically lost my mother Robin, January 2nd, 2018 to an illness and I cannot afford to lose another parent or loved one."

Sounds like it's more about "I don't want to get it and give it to someone."

NFL and NBA almost always draft based on potential. How many first round picks are head-scratchers because of their lack of college production, or their production against subpar competition? A lot is the answer.

Meanwhile, the top prospects don't have to worry about losing their draft status for not playing. It helps the fringe players to have more game tape (e.g. Bowden coming into last season), but the top prospects and the physical freaks with high ceilings will always be fine.

Reactions: AlbanyWildCat
I imagine the good ones sign with an agent who provides them a trainer and nutritionist.

That's what he's planning on doing. He missed the last couple games last season with an injury. Probably just wants to fully recover, no bad film, etc. I don't see how he keeps a first round projection, but could be wrong.

So he is voluntarily sitting out an entire season including practices and games and he thinks his stock won't plummet? Good luck kid.
[roll]Yes, because you know how important college football experience is to the NFL. Hell Dwayne Robertson barely made 2nd team All Sec, but bench pressed a bunch and was 2nd pick in the draft.

"Oh you want to don't play in the Rose Bowl for free. Totally understand. You're our first round draft pick."

The league that cuts a player 2 years into a 5 year contract. Oh wow, this lack of honor is scandalous.

Last edited:
Reactions: chroix and Nuke99m
Micah Parson, a PSU AA and projected top 10 pick is suppose to announce tomorrow he is opting out and preparing for the draft.

Think all of us will be facing this before the season starts. When the vaccine is released, the election is behind us and life returns pretty much back to normal, except for college sports. I am afraid we have lost what we had for good. We will have guys opting to sit out their 3rd year to prepare for the draft as a true jr. Going to play 2 years.

Micah Parson, a PSU AA and projected top 10 pick is suppose to announce tomorrow he is opting out and preparing for the draft.

Think all of us will be facing this before the season starts. When the vaccine is released, the election is behind us and life returns pretty much back to normal, except for college sports. I am afraid we have lost what we had for good. We will have guys opting to sit out their 3rd year to prepare for the draft as a true jr. Going to play 2 years.
But to be fair...football has enjoyed this 3 years of forced college by the NFL. There is no reason if basketball is where it is with kids now just bypassing college all together g league. There is no reason why a collegiate can't handle NFL physically any more. Why Trevor Lawrence has to come back, Todd Gurley didn't need his 3rd year, Clowney at USC, Fournette at LSU, etc... more and more kids are going to sit years to train for NFL as the trend is college is a "waste of time" in the eyes of many kids.

Reactions: chroix
But to be fair...football has enjoyed this 3 years of forced college by the NFL. There is no reason if basketball is where it is with kids now just bypassing college all together g league. There is no reason why a collegiate can't handle NFL physically any more. Why Trevor Lawrence has to come back, Todd Gurley didn't need his 3rd year, Clowney at USC, Fournette at LSU, etc... more and more kids are going to sit years to train for NFL as the trend is college is a "waste of time" in the eyes of many kids.

You are talking the extremely rare exceptions, none of those needed 3 years to be in the league. Well I guess we will see soon with Lawrence, he wouldnt be the first can't miss guy to miss, but like you I dont think he misses.

Of course many look at college as a waste of time, they are goin to be all pro and make millions and a CV few will be right. But none of that changes the fact the NFL doesnt want a farm system and is very happy with our current system.

Reactions: K_TIME
You are talking the extremely rare exceptions, none of those needed 3 years to be in the league. Well I guess we will see soon with Lawrence, he wouldnt be the first can't miss guy to miss, but like you I dont think he misses.

Of course many look at college as a waste of time, they are goin to be all pro and make millions and a CV few will be right. But none of that changes the fact the NFL doesnt want a farm system and is very happy with our current system.
Agreed...NFL is the sane-est of the pro sports that happily lets college be the farm system/development and saves them the time and expense. (NBA has almost intentionally done all they can to undermine college basketball).

But it has started with kids siting out bowl games and is increasingly growing in number. We can pretty much see some kids shut it down in their 3rd college season with iffy injuries (see Clowney). I think you're going to see more and more kids even after Covid shut down their college year (or years) to get ready for NFL. It just seems a fad that is on the rise.

Reactions: ukalum1988
Agreed...NFL is the sane-est of the pro sports that happily lets college be the farm system/development and saves them the time and expense. (NBA has almost intentionally done all they can to undermine college basketball).

But it has started with kids siting out bowl games and is increasingly growing in number. We can pretty much see some kids shut it down in their 3rd college season with iffy injuries (see Clowney). I think you're going to see more and more kids even after Covid shut down their college year (or years) to get ready for NFL. It just seems a fad that is on the rise.

No doubt Clowney rode an injury his 3rd year and was drafted for what he did his first 2.

I assume the players opting out will stay at home and take online classes? Hang out with their family and trainers only? Get tested daily and go to their hometown pediatrician if they get symptoms?

It's all just a convenient excuse. They see this as an opportunity to sit out a season, not risking injury. That's fine but that's what they should say. Instead theyll say it's covid because they know that is accepted without question.

It's all just a convenient excuse. They see this as an opportunity to sit out a season, not risking injury. That's fine but that's what they should say. Instead theyll say it's covid because they know that is accepted without question.
It would only make sense if they are sure fire NFL prospects right? Everyone else might as well focus on school and become a regular schlep like most of the rest of us.

Reactions: EastLansingCat
Since they can maintain the scholarship it makes sitting out this year a more attractive option especially for seniors not headed to the next level. If they decide to restore one year of eligibility for this year if the miss it voluntarily then we may see the exits getting crowded fairly quickly.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
It would only make sense if they are sure fire NFL prospects right? Everyone else might as well focus on school and become a regular schlep like most of the rest of us.

Yes but that's a matter of perspective. Those actually ready and those who think they're ready are not necessarily the same group

So much for the schools using them, if they are still on scholarship they should have to play unless injured. A 90,000 dollar education is more than enough to play three years. A team member wouldn't be on the sidelines if I were coaching if he were eligible to play and just didn't want to for whatever reason,or he can just pay his way this year if he sits out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT