ADVERTISEMENT

CBS Sports analysts pick UK to finish 6th in the SEC

As long as we win a single game in the NCAA tournament it will be an improvement over Calipari. Having a good regular season is nice but I judge success by what happens in March.

Reactions: NociHTTP
The thing is, we do not know as fans, what to expect because UK has not played a game yet.

Even when cal had summer games, it was a little revealing of expectations but nowhere an indicator of winning.

At least the analysts are not thinking we finish last.......new coach, new players, need time to rebuild....

You just hope as a fan, that we are not looking at 9-16 record or uofL style of ball, where the players did not even go to practice....

Give Coach Pope time, like a couple or 3 seasons to improve the program.

My only expectation right now, is that we win 20 games or more this first season.

At a minimum, we are competitive, and give any team... including top 25 teams fits to win a game.
100% agree. The other teams in the SEC might get some licks on us this year, we will see, but they better get Pope now.
He certainly seems to be getting good players, that will continue and I think we will see multi year players to provide continuity.
I'm excited and can't wait to see these kids on the court!

This team and these players have a little more incentive than to finish 6th in this conference. You can’t measure heart and pride and this coach and team has more than enough to prove that wrong. It could be better and it could be worse but they will leave it all on the court. They are to talented to not be competitive, it’s a fresh start for the transfers and a dream come true for the freshmen.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Nobody has any idea how good or bad we will be. Even if we start out meh or badly, it may be that it just takes a while for these guys to come together. None of them have played together before. None was here last season. The only thing one can look to is that Jaxson played under Pope last season. That's it. Projections/rankings meaning jack squat.

I’m looking forward to experiencing the new product. There will be a new philosophy and energy brought to the court. If we are a top notch team, great! If we are borderline top 25, that’s still a-ok and on par with the last couple teams. I’ll enjoy watching the team play more than I have in years whether we finish 1st in the SEC or 6th.

More than fair, SEC is loaded. I dont see how Tennessee is 3rd though. They just aren't impressive on paper.
Defense is their equalizer. Defense does not show up on paper. Coach Barnes, hate him or love him, is a really tough coach to beat. I dread going there and don't like it when they come to Rupp.

I like what I see from this team and coaching staff. 6th is too low. Older group of guys who should move the ball and play defense.

I think it’s a fair prediction! I honestly see us somewhere between 4-6. SEC is gonna be a meat grinder this year

Fair or not, these preseason rankings make me want a fairytale season for Pope and co. I hope the whole world sits back in March like, Didn’t see that coming.

Reactions: wardlow
No way Texas, AM and UF are better than Ky.
They are just disrespecting us now.
I hope there's no way Arkansas is above us either. That would be awful to get rid of a coach that was doing nothing for our program and then to lose to him. I care much more about the post-season but that would be tough to see Calipari leave then beat us.

Reactions: HerrosHeroes
I hope there's no way Arkansas is above us either. That would be awful to get rid of a coach that was doing nothing for our program and then to lose to him. I care much more about the post-season but that would be tough to see Calipari leave then beat us.
He has talent for sure but he had it at UK and did nothing with it his last 5 yrs at Ky.
Maybe he actually starts coaching again but I doubt it.
Cats by 90

Reactions: Codeartist
He has talent for sure but he had it at UK and did nothing with it his last 5 yrs at Ky.
Maybe he actually starts coaching again but I doubt it.
Cats by 90
I've been pushing to give Pope time to develop his team and not rushing to any conclusions but if Arkansas comes into Rupp Arena in February and Pope can't get the job done that would be a major mark against him. If there's one must-win game next year its beating Calipari at Rupp Arena.

Reactions: HerrosHeroes
I've been pushing to give Pope time to develop his team and not rushing to any conclusions but if Arkansas comes into Rupp Arena in February and Pope can't get the job done that would be a major mark against him. If there's two must-win game next year its beating Calipari at Rupp Arena and Louisville in Rupp.
FIFY

Which would you like to see, a win against Alabama or Arkansas?

Arguably, one is the preseason top team, the other an old coach of ours new squad...

Which would you like to see, a win against Alabama or Arkansas?

Arguably, one is the preseason top team, the other an old coach of ours new squad...
Arkansas absolutely, I'd be so upset if Calipari walked into Rupp and showed he still owned the place. Alabama would be nice but I'm not going to be upset if we lose to one of the best ranked teams in the nation.

Ivasich, adoo and Davis for arky may be a nightmare. Wish we could've landed them here.

I think this is a good point. BYU had one guy (Traore, I think) who could bang in the post and was pretty efficient doing it. It helped that no one could help off their man on the perimeter, and also the ball movement got him a lot of touches deep in the paint. But if I remember correctly he was only 6'6" or so, big bodied guy and athletic but not a "big" big. I don't know how refined Williams or Garrison are in the paint but if they have a semi-reliable post up move they should have no trouble getting a few easy paint buckets every game.
To add to your point, Carr is a skilled post scorer. He's not built as powerfully as Williams and Garrison, but experience and maturity have made him pretty reliable in the post; and he's willing to fight in there and go at his defender one-on-one in post-ups.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT