ADVERTISEMENT

Rothstein Podcast - Picks UK 9th in SEC

SEC is going be tough, but 9th would be disappointing. I don’t see Pope winning the league in his first year, but I’m hoping we can finish top 4.

Well one of my sons is headed to Ithica for grad school but for a slightly different place, Cornell.

Saved By The Bell Pat Self On Back GIF

I honestly think the premise is a bit ridiculous.

Someone on Twitter posted: During Billy G's NIT season, we were 8th in the SEC. In 2021: Cal took us to the worst record in school history. We were 8th in the SEC.

As someone else pointed out: Pope finished 5th in the Big 12 with a lesser roster. I keep reading how the Big 12 is THE conference in college basketball. Yet he moves to the SEC with an improved roster and is going to fall 4 spots?

"Oh he's got a bunch of transfers that haven't played P5"

Welll.....

Tyler Kolek
Mark Sears
Grant Nelson
Baylor Scheirman
Dalton Knecht.

Several of the best players in college basketball came from smaller schools/conferences as transfers.

But...

Robinson played against the Big 12. Carr played against the ACC. Garrison and Oweh played against the Big 12. Kriisa played against the PAC10 and Big 12.

For years we've been slammed for a lack of experience. Now we have one of the most experienced teams we've seen in decades.

I'll be shocked if we're not top 4 in the conference. I think it's a top 15 roster. I think Pope is a better X's and O's coach than Calipari. I think we'll lose games. But we won't have near the frustration.

Last edited:
We are going to need to show something on the court this year to get any respect from some.

Understandable in a way. Pope and most of the players are making a jump up in competition. No returning production. No obvious lottery picks on the roster.

One thing I will say about the SEC is I don't see it ever going back to what it was. Too much depth and talent elsewhere to expect UK to dominate. I think winning the league and tourney 3 or 4 times each in a 10 year stretch would be very successful if Pope can pull that off.

Reactions: Zissou87
It has nothing to do with the team but the coach. I believe he is not sold on Pope and his coaching staff. I guarantee if Self or Cal had this team it would not be a preseason #9. This is an important year for Pope and prove to the World he is worthy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT