ADVERTISEMENT

CBS bracket upset picks

I see Kansas going down. They have been absolutely terrible of late and Mccullar still isn’t healthy. I think the press will not only wear them down, but because they don’t have great athletes or ball handlers, they could potentially get embarrassed. Well, Furphy is getting NBA interest. He was exposed in the big 12 tournament game. He can’t really do much without great players who are fully healthy around him.

Could for sure see Kansas getting beat based on the matchup and injury issues. Even if Kansas survives, it will take a toll on them and may carry over to the round of 32.

Bama should be on alert too. They have had a rough stretch recently and have not been healthy either. I think over the past few games/weeks their defense is ranked like 200+ (yikes).

I don't see South Carolina or Auburn losing.

Reactions: bevcat and Smashcat
The money bracket I do every year rewards you for picking upsets (seed x round). I love it because you get rewarded bigtime for predicting the biggest upsets. I pick most of the 12-5's and 11-6's, plus some of the 13-4's. The real trick is figuring out the 8-9s.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I like a lot of these upsets and toyed with almost all of them. I just for the life of me can't peg the SEC teams. If they play like they did against UK, I'm picking every one to win their first game. But what kind of team will show up for MissSt, TA&M and USCjr? I feel like if I pick them, I'm just gonna be disappointed.

Honestly, we only have one contender. Whether that makes it a “down year” or not I’m not sure.

It's for sure one of the higher rated the conference has been. The 4, 7, 13, 19, 29, 30, 44 and 49th teams in Kenpom. That's pretty absurd to have EIGHT teams in the top50. While we might not have a true contender on this team, I don't think the SEC has come close to having this much teams at the top.

I think the writer was just unaware or made a mistake.

Kansas will go out in the first weekend. Their archaic offense will fail them.

Auburn's defensive and offensive efficiencies scream Final Four contender. It could be their year.

I just saw this on Reddit, but a school with a phallic sounding name has upset a 1-3 seed since 2021 in every tournament. So morehead state, longwood and St. Peter’s one of them is winning lol. Houston, Illinois and Tennessee better be prepared
Man, it’d be something if the Peacocks beat Tenn. That’d be knocking a 2 seed (both SEC) out in 2/3 tournaments.

If Dickinson and McCullers don’t play KU loses opening game. Even with 1 out and other playing 80% they could lose.

Auburn this year was very consistent winning the games they should win, but not winning many vs equal or better competition.

Oregon has a coach that has never lost in the 1st round and they just got their all American type player back healthy and hitting his stride. Nfaly Dante

I wanted South Carolina to make a run but they got their work cut out for them in round 1

It's for sure one of the higher rated the conference has been. The 4, 7, 13, 19, 29, 30, 44 and 49th teams in Kenpom. That's pretty absurd to have EIGHT teams in the top50. While we might not have a true contender on this team, I don't think the SEC has come close to having this much teams at the top.

I think the writer was just unaware or made a mistake.
I don't think the writer is unaware or made a mistake. The SEC and B12 each had 8 teams in the field. If this guy's job is to follow college basketball, he's either very bad at his job, or purposely trying to get clicks with this claim.

"Down" would be if we only got in a couple, as has been the case for a long time up until the last few years.

Kansas could be possible with the injuries they’re dealing with, although I wouldn’t be shocked if they win either.

I don’t really see it with Auburn. They’re one of the best teams in the country by most metrics and come in fully healthy and playing some of their best basketball of the season in the conference tournament.

Alabama struggled a bit to end conference play, but I think they’re probably safe in the first round because a Charleston team that ranks in the 170s in defensive efficiency is a very favorable matchup for them.

Wisconsin/James Madison is a really interesting analytics vs. eye test game. Wisconsin still has top 20 metrics despite the 13 losses. James Madison comes in 31-3, but not impressive in most metrics besides their record. I’ll take Wisconsin in that one despite being a popular upset pick.

I do really like that New Mexico over Clemson pick. New Mexico is hot right now, and this is also a rare case where the 11 seed actually has better metrics than their 6 seed opponent. I also think South Carolina could be vulnerable to Oregon in a 6/11 game.

Of course this is just looking at things rationally. There’s always those couple of games in the tournament that make no sense at all.

Oregon has a coach that has never lost in the 1st round and they just got their all American type player back healthy and hitting his stride. Nfaly Dante

I wanted South Carolina to make a run but they got their work cut out for them in round 1

Oregon has been hit hard with injuries. Barthelemy, Zarzuela, Bittle, and Cook are all out for the year.

Also, South Carolina hasn't ended the season all that well. Some good wins, but several losses too.

No. 4 seeds have won 78.9% of meetings with No. 13 seeds. At least one No. 13 seed has beaten a No. 4 seed in 27 of 38 tournaments.

No. 2 seeds are 141-11 vs. No. 15 seeds (92.8%). However, for the first time ever, a 15-seed has won a first-round game in each of the past three tournaments.

I feel good about Kansas being upset.

I think Auburn should advance, and I think they can give UCONN a helluva game. UCONN still wins.

I feel good about Drake over WSU.
I feel good about GCU over St. Mary's.
I feel good about New Mexico over Clemson and Nevada over Dayton.
I feel good about JMU over Wisconsin.
BSU might get Florida assuming they advance.
McNeese and Gonzaga will be close, I like McNeese to steal it.
Samford over Kansas.

2nd round potentials: I think Miss State CAN beat UNC. I don't know that I can pick it. I think A&M could upset Houston. I feel like I have to pick at least one early upset for a 1 seed.

I think Arizona flames out early. Their metrics are good, but they have some BAD losses. Can they beat Nevada? Nevada is top 40 on both offense and defense per Kenpom.

Baylor is solid, not great. New Mexico has the 41st ranked offense and 23rd ranked defense on Kenpom. New Mexico/Nevada Sweet 16?

I feel good about Drake over WSU.
Drake, Chicago Loyola, and Maryland Eastern Shore are my 3 sentimental favorites. If any of them win a tournament game, it's been a great season. Drake because of my Dad. (complicated). Chicago Loyola because their finals with Cincy were the first basketball game I ever watched on TV. (Prior to that, my Dad had taken me to a couple of Cleveland Pipers games. If you know who they were, you're real old.) And Maryland Eastern Shore because of how many great trips my wife and I took to the area long ago.

For Kansas to make a run they need Mccullar & Dickinson both...

I doubt KU makes it out of the first weekend.

I mean, they could get a bit lucky. Their small first week bracket isn't that bad since they just have to get through Gonzaga if they win their first game and it's not certain that Gonzaga even wins their matchup as I think they are overseeded.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT