ADVERTISEMENT

CBB "parity"

CatsFanIL

Freshman
May 29, 2019
Can't remember if I heard this on a podcast or saw it on Twitter, but the stat has been circulating that Top 10 teams in CBB this year are a combined 32-34 on the road against UNRANKED opponents. Parity, right?

Well someone, an anonymous coach or anonymous source, said that it's not so much about NIL, transfer portal, "parity", etc. He said it's because your "elite" programs - UNC, UK, Duke, etc - don't have "elite" coaches anymore. I think his one exception was Self at Kansas, but they just got stomped on the road.

Anyhow, any thoughts on this? Major programs - the Top 10 this season - don't have "elite" coaches anymore, and that's creating more "parity" throughout CBB

Reactions: Mike-D
32-34 is far too many wins and losses to just be 2 or 3 elite programs not having their elite coaches.

I mean UNC has been top10 for most of the year, Duke and UK top25. While none of them are elite, it's not like any of them are losing a ton of games.

This IS all due to transfer portal and NIL.

Of course NIL and the transfer portal are playing a role. I think we will see more and more wacky final fours in the future due to thus long term.

That said, I tend to agree with the coaching assessment as well. Cal sucks now, Hubert isn't that good and is tubby 2.0 but didn't win the title in year 1 and John boy is a big TBD at Puke.

Of course NIL and the transfer portal are playing a role. I think we will see more and more wacky final fours in the future due to thus long term.

That said, I tend to agree with the coaching assessment as well. Cal sucks now, Hubert isn't that good and is tubby 2.0 but didn't win the title in year 1 and John boy is a big TBD at Puke.
I think his point was - if NIL is that important and that successful in bringing in the best talent - then how did we end up with a Final 4 last year that included FAU and San Diego St, then along with a 4-seed and a 5-seed?

Portal matters, I've got no argument there. But ain't no way the FAU and SDSU deals in NIL led them to a Final 4.

I think his point was - if NIL is that important and that successful in bringing in the best talent - then how did we end up with a Final 4 last year that included FAU and San Diego St, then along with a 4-seed and a 5-seed?

Portal matters, I've got no argument there. But ain't no way the FAU and SDSU deals in NIL led them to a Final 4.

I think what NIL does is spread out talent, and therefore creates parity, which therefore makes it so that a 4 seed beating a 1 seed isn't as insurmountable as it might have been before.

There are just too many other top10 teams losing big games for this to be narrowed to just 3 bluebloods, Duke/UNC/UK.. who really, aren't a whole lot worse than previous years. We're talking maybe 4 or 5 more losses collectively, than what were used to. They aren't moving the needle THAT much.

Reactions: CatsFanIL
Can't remember if I heard this on a podcast or saw it on Twitter, but the stat has been circulating that Top 10 teams in CBB this year are a combined 32-34 on the road against UNRANKED opponents. Parity, right?

Well someone, an anonymous coach or anonymous source, said that it's not so much about NIL, transfer portal, "parity", etc. He said it's because your "elite" programs - UNC, UK, Duke, etc - don't have "elite" coaches anymore. I think his one exception was Self at Kansas, but they just got stomped on the road.

Anyhow, any thoughts on this? Major programs - the Top 10 this season - don't have "elite" coaches anymore, and that's creating more "parity" throughout CBB
Eh...not like K was tearing it up either before he left. Duke last won a championship in 2015...outside of his final four appearance in 2022, not like Duke did anything spectacular at all in that 7 yr period.

Same can be said for Roy after UNC won in 2017. UNC had pretty poor results the last 4 yrs of Roy's tenure before he retired.

It is all about the portal, the extra Covid yr, and NIL.

When the talent is spread out more evenly, then coaching becomes even more important. We don't have any.

When the talent is spread out more evenly, then coaching becomes even more important. We don't have any.
So when Jay Wright was still around, and Coach K, when Cal hadn't been bypassed by modern basketball, those 3 teams weren't hardly ever losing to unranked teams...

So when Jay Wright was still around, and Coach K, when Cal hadn't been bypassed by modern basketball, those 3 teams weren't hardly ever losing to unranked teams...
Not to mention losing to mid majors at home like the UNCW’s, Richmond’s and Evansville’s. When is the last time Bill Self lost to a team like that at home?

This argument is comical.

So TEN teams, the TOP 10, are 32-34 on the road against unranked teams. Yet the author claims it's solely because the elite coaches from a small # of teams (some not even in the top 10) are no longer "elite"?

66 games that make up the 32-34 record aren't all consolidated to just this small handful of "elite" schools/coaches.

Reactions: FitchandMurray29
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT