ADVERTISEMENT

Cats vs. Turds

STUCKNBIG10

All-SEC
Aug 30, 2006
Disastrous first inning. Thompson comes out smoking getting two strikeouts and then Marshall misplays a routine ground ball. Of course UL makes us pay for it, gets two hits, and they lead 2-0 after 1.

Tired of our defense choking up every time we play this team.

Total disaster so far. Two straight innings we get two outs and then fall apart.

4-0 tards.

UL 4-0 going to bottom of 3. Total choke job so far by UK. Waste a leadoff double and a hit batsman with zero outs and get nothing out of it.

Not very competitive at all thru top of 4th. Carson with a terrible base running blunder even tho the 1st baseman missed the tag.

We've not been a good road time other than Texas A&M. Just 5-5, soon to be 5-6.

Wow, just noticed that the one loss to Vanderbilt moved us from an RPI of 8 to 16. Must be a lot of close teams.

I dont understand the lineup change either: Two best hitters this game would normally be 1-2

White getting hits but no one around him can make anything happen.

From what I've seen, a lot of questionable called strike 3's for the UK players...

On a few 3-2 counts.

Well, as a new head coach, he probably will make a few mistakes. Carson was having a bit of drop off in production. This move will probably be reversed next game.

Well, as a new head coach, he probably will make a few mistakes. Carson was having a bit of drop off in production. This move will probably be reversed next game.

Did seem like Carson was missing some swings late but the team had been winning.

Storm Wilson? He's having a tough year hitting. Can't see this move either.

I liked the call, did not think UL would pay much attention to the baserunner, and if he is safe, a single ties it.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
I mean, I get the aggressiveness there. Needed those two runs. Wouldn't put Wilson in there but he can get big hits at times.

Good thought to get the tying run to 2nd two outs. Just didn't work. Played better after the first three innings. Shut them out. I am biased but it looked like strike 3 and inning over before the Hairston 2 run double and still down 2 instead of 4. Early error hurt and cost us 2 as well. Walks hurt. UL was the better team tonight but I feel good about the return game. UK didn't give up. Would have been easy to mail this in the top of 9. I wouldn't think UK feels outclassed by the nations 2nd ranked team at all. Just tight early with a fr pitcher.

I get the steal, but I wouldn't call it. I didn't catch the end, but as a base runner in that situation you have to guarantee arriving at 2nd safely. Poor jump, break off into your secondary lead - slide step, break off, bad jump - break off.

As poorly as UK played - pressed at the plate, 2 out walks, simple error...this game ended up pretty evenly. UK was +3 in hits, UL was +4 in BB, UK was +1 in Es and +2 in unearned runs allowed (the difference).

How can you take a pitch like that with 2 strikes ???
You are hitting 400+...that was a blunder of major proportions...that ump had been calling those strikes all night...we made it out to the game and it was a packed house, but the seats on their burn are HORRIBLE and I hope this isn't something UK is going to put in the new place...Guys just seemed to be a step slow all night with no fire until the last inning...out hit Otis 11-8, but couldn't string them together to get any kind of scoring opportunities. I think White striking out looking cost us a shot to win although I thought we lost it in the first three innings when Thompson just wasn't getting it done.

FYI it was a hit and run but Wilson missed. Also I thought Thompson showed potential just needs to learn how to finish innings. In the first I think with two outs both of the infield balls should have been outs, then the ump squeezed him until he had to groove one which resulted in a dbl and two unearned runs. In the second he got squeezed again when he walked the bases full after two outs. Two of the three were full count walks and then the second hard hit ball. Huge upside on Thompson imo, and the bullpen gave up one run in six innings of work.

Looks like the lineup change was a good idea when our best hitter came up with the bases loaded in the 9th!! If you want to question Coach it would be not bunting the lefty in the second or third with 2 on and no outs and Lou put in the lefty releaver. Gotta bunt that early after the switch and playing for the big inning hurt us even if it was the three hole. I also thought using Wilson there was good strategy attempting to build confidence there as a contributor going forward.

My impression was that our offense looked better than theirs. We hit more balls hard that wound up right at them. I think we had more hits. If we had half the number of walks on full count pitches as they did the game would have been a different story. I don't remember them having anyone punched out looking and we had four or five.

All in all a good game I thought I didn't leave hoping we wouldn't be in their region or super region, so, I hope they are as good as their ranking!

We're a much better team now,then when the last coach was here. Like what Mingione is doing. Growing pains,

Reactions: Old_Red
I knew the first two innings were going to kill us. Too many walks and mistakes. I'm tired of losing to that team, hope we can take the return game.

Ehh, it is a tough loss on the road. Again, I truly believe that seasons are made on the weekends. The midweeks can help you, but if you take care of business on the weekend then you're just fine. UK needs to focus in on Miss State and get ready to face an extremely tough road challenge. The Bulldogs just swept Ole Miss and Tennessee in back to back weekends to bounce back from being swept by Arkansas in the opening weekend. They just lost last night to Florida International, so their winning streak is at an end. Still, they aren't going to lie down easy and UK has to be focused in.

what little i watched during innings 1-5 UK was hosed on a 3-1 ball count low that was awfully called a strike that would have loaded the bases with 1 out. Also at least two check swings by Louisville should have been strikes that ended up bringing in runs on the following pitches.

And UK runner caught in a run down clearly was not tagged out yest the umpire said he was. Never even touched him. Unless he called him from running out of the base line which would be highly questionable as well.

Didn't really like the lineup change but I won't crucify the coach over that. I would like to see White in the 2/3 hole.

Thompson should have gotten out of the first inning with no runs allowed but an error opened the gates. Yes he should be able to pitch out of that but when you have a young pitcher on the mound your defense needs to step up and make the plays you are supposed to make. Nice seeing some of the young arms come out the pen and pitch well. Also glad to see the team fight to the end. We have a nice team not someone that teams will want to see during tourney time. Friday is a huge game we need a big game by our starter and eliminate the walks that have hurt us the last two games.

FYI it was a hit and run but Wilson missed. Also I thought Thompson showed potential just needs to learn how to finish innings. In the first I think with two outs both of the infield balls should have been outs, then the ump squeezed him until he had to groove one which resulted in a dbl and two unearned runs. In the second he got squeezed again when he walked the bases full after two outs. Two of the three were full count walks and then the second hard hit ball. Huge upside on Thompson imo, and the bullpen gave up one run in six innings of work.

Looks like the lineup change was a good idea when our best hitter came up with the bases loaded in the 9th!! If you want to question Coach it would be not bunting the lefty in the second or third with 2 on and no outs and Lou put in the lefty releaver. Gotta bunt that early after the switch and playing for the big inning hurt us even if it was the three hole. I also thought using Wilson there was good strategy attempting to build confidence there as a contributor going forward.

My impression was that our offense looked better than theirs. We hit more balls hard that wound up right at them. I think we had more hits. If we had half the number of walks on full count pitches as they did the game would have been a different story. I don't remember them having anyone punched out looking and we had four or five.

All in all a good game I thought I didn't leave hoping we wouldn't be in their region or super region, so, I hope they are as good as their ranking!
Good post...exactly what we were talking about when we left. The only disagreement I have is we were miffed about a .400+ hitter looking at pitches with the bases loaded.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT