ADVERTISEMENT

Cats vs Gators (Sec Tournament)

The bottom 3-4 kids for UK provide little, if any, offense most of the year. That’s a big reason we can’t score many runs.

It isn't just them. Rhodes struggled early and is only kind of now becoming more consistent. UK tried to hit him in the 3 hole all year long. Rarely moved him until much later in the year. Anu has been up and down. Then you have the weird thing where your best power hitter is hitting 2nd for reasons I don't understand.

As for the bottom...

Estep continues to play despite really struggling at the plate. Today UK could have Plastiak at third and Anu at DH, but instead we have Estep out there while he hits sub .200. I like Estep and I like his defense, but hard to justify him being out there as the offense struggles. Not to mention, UK messes with him every 2 seconds as well. One minute he's doing well at 9th and then we move him to 6th where he struggles and then now back to 9th finally today.

Hill comes in and out of the lineup more often than I change underwear, despite being the best outfielder and being a decent hitter. Not to mention the speed he gives you.

Ritter has done solid, but shouldn't be hitting in the 6 hole really.

Lewis came on strong lately, but he didn't play for a large portion of the year. Not sure how much of that was injury and how much was Mingione constantly messing with 2B.

Plastiak, as mentioned, sat out for like a month at one point. Played well and then right back to the bench. Church, along those lines, was hot and then cooled in SEC play, which limited Plastiak.

You also have the fact that UK has developed no one off the bench. Shelby, Grace, Rubalcaba, Liebert, Church... can't really rely on any of them to give you a high quality AB off the bench.

Not only that, but the first person off the bench to replace Rubalcaba was actually Liebert. Liebert got a start or two before Kessler finally got the nod. We have basically not seen Liebert since... and we rarely see Rubalcaba.

Kessler is an interesting story... he struggled like crazy last year and Mingione stuck with him despite him hitting under .100. We all knew he could hit better, but he just wasn't and Mingione kept running him out there. Yet then we get to this year and rather than treating it like Mingione knows that Kessler can hit and giving him the chances to do so, he basically has him 3rd on the depth chart at catcher. It is very Jekyll and Hyde, but kind of in the opposite way it should have been.
Great points I forgot about most of that.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Lewis struck out to start the 6th, down 4-1. Hill bunted his way on and went to second on a wild pitch. Estep grounds out to short and advances Hill to third with 2 outs. Schultz swings first pitch and pops up in foul territory by first.

4-1 going to the B6

The bottom of the lineup with Hill and Lewis haven't been playing much of the season, less than 100 ABs this season.
The lineup we are seeing now is the result of their lack of defense most of the year. Defense wins games.
Doesn’t really matter who is in those slots they haven’t produced.

For those that missed it, a hard hit ball up the middle and Lewis worked to his right, he dove and the ball bounced above his head on the dive, he played it clean, got up quickly and threw the runner out at first.

Harper then got a K and Hill brought in a lazy fly to end the 6th.

4-1

UK with another 2 out chance here. We pop up to first again. Holy hell.

Three years ago the filthy orange was in our spot, let the HC go and today they ate SEC east Champs, #2 seed and ranked 4th in th country.

Harper feeling pretty good here. Second K of the game for him to start the B7. Hill runs one down a step off the wall in deep center for the second out. Schultz makes a nice little diving catch to bring in a dying quail in mid-left to end the B7.

4-1 UF

Lewis grounds out to short to start the B7. Hill battles and works a full count. He's fouled off a couple. He draws a 1 out walk. Really really good at bat from Hill. Estep going to hit here. Really surprised by this as he's 0-3 to this point and you have a left-on-left matchup. Estep grounds out into a fielder's choice, with Hill getting thrown out at 2nd. Another weird weird decision by Mingione there. Solid play by the 2B doing a backwards flip to short as he takes a chopper in the middle of the infield. Florida going to the pen again.

UK outhitting UF 9-4, btw.

Ming is clueless

I bet he takes down Plastiak for Anu if we get back to him. Plastiak is technically 0-3 even though he absolutely killed one to third and it ate up the 3B, they called it an error (dumb decision by the scorer). So, I bet Mingione takes down Plastiak for Anu.

I still just have no words and understanding for why we didn't pinch hit Anu for Estep. If he isn't hurt, it seems like it would be something you do automatically.

Reactions: Jeff12wb
Fla about to put this one away...had there chance. Just wishing for a new coach next season. Cost about 2 million to put this nightmare to rest.

Reactions: Jeff12wb
Well that pitching change went well. 4 pitch walk to load the bases. Great.

UK then gets Fabian to line out to second for the second out. Twice he's been up with the bases loaded, so UK very fortunate to not give up the big hit to a guy that mashes.

Then a fly out to Hill in center to end the B8 and keep the score the same. UK very very fortunate there.

4-1 going to 9. Last call for UK

Random thought: Did I miss something, or what happened to Hagenow? Two appearances since April 10? For 1.1 innings?

Rhodes having a pretty strong game at 2-3 so far. Big spot here and he falls behind early, but he singles down the line to bring the tying run to the plate!!

Does Mingione bring in Anu here?

Plastiak strikes out looking.

By the way, UK hitting .297 today. UK hitting just .167.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT