ADVERTISEMENT

Cats versus Gators, it starts today....

Looks like Florida is going rope-a-dope trying to get us worn out hitting. Maye comes in having pitched only 2.1 innings with a 7.74 ERA, opponents hitting .417 against him.

12-3!!
kentucky-fan-raising-the-roof-against-ole-miss.gif

Reactions: Comebakatz3
So O'Sullivan is trying to chew up some innings and they're chewing very small bites. 20 hits and we are going to get to hit 9 innings. He should stick with being the wardrobe police.

I love that we have touched up every pitcher that has come in. That adds to the mental pressure for the weekend.

MSU. LSU is tied with us, and MSU is one game back. We need MSU to win at least 2 out of 3 to make sure that we have a chance for outright title.

We have that series win in our back pocket tho. 2 of 3 here leaves nothing to wonder about

This has been an impressive performance, I thought we could win tonight, but a 12-3 score here in the bottom of the 9th.... Wow !

Wow! He did make it. Great to see. We got to five of their staff this game and used just three including Cleary. Let's hope we can get a lead big enough in the next game to get Josh Smith in t chew up innings.

Batted .476 that game. Amazing that we've been helping our batting average against the SEC and hurting in on the weekday games.

This was our most impressive win to date and not because we had 20 hits or because we best Florida, but because Alex Faedo is a top pitching prospect and he was pitching extremely well today and we still hit him to the tune of 7 earned runs off 13 hits. The guy walked one batter and at least 9 of his hits were with 2 outs. He couldn't really have pitched much better and yet UK left him with his worst outing of the year.

By the way... I am just astonished that we're still behind TCU in the RPI. Makes no sense to me.

Like someone else mentioned, I'll take potatoes and macaroni and cheese with my crow. What an impressive win.

You know oh Sully hates playing us.

These two fans are gonna be surprised in the morning. Best thing is competitive good coaches and ball players don't think the same way.

I'll admit. After the first two innings it was leaning towards a long night. I'm also big enough to admit when I was wrong. But I will proudly eat my crow and get ready for Friday night.

Moral of the early posts on this board: Don't give up on these Cats- They are a different breed from the past and they have an outstanding leader in Coach Mingione. He was proven right on his interview when he said Faedo faded after 85 pitches. The patience of all 9 hitters were the difference in this game. Once Pompay hit the grand slam the team seemed to collectively relax and enjoy the game. These guys would have gone into a shell if Henderson was still the coach. This team is going to Omaha and all bets are off if they make it there.

Moral of the early posts on this board: Don't give up on these Cats- They are a different breed from the past and they have an outstanding leader in Coach Mingione. He was proven right on his interview when he said Faedo faded after 85 pitches. The patience of all 9 hitters were the difference in this game. Once Pompay hit the grand slam the team seemed to collectively relax and enjoy the game. These guys would have gone into a shell if Henderson was still the coach. This team is going to Omaha and all bets are off if they make it there.

You're pretty much 100 percent correct, but man the first two innings really did feel like we were just getting beaten up on. Luck was not with us and Faedo was really dealing. Then Hjelle seemed like he just couldn't locate anything. Still, you're 100 percent right... these guys never give up. They did what they needed to do with Faedo and they got those hard two out hits to extend innings and get his pitch count up. Very proud of the guys for not getting down or feeling down and doing what they needed to do in order to get the win. They certainly made a statement. Hope they can make another one tonight against another extremely tough pitcher.

This team is excellent.

After the 1st couple weeks they looked to be awful - and I thought Mingione seemed to be a goober and wasn't sold.

Wrong wrong wrong. What a season and coaching job. Couple more wins an NCOY honors await IMO.

Reactions: RogerIndy
This team is excellent.

After the 1st couple weeks they looked to be awful - and I thought Mingione seemed to be a goober and wasn't sold.

Wrong wrong wrong. What a season and coaching job. Couple more wins an NCOY honors await IMO.

I would say that even in the first couple of weeks there was some hope there. We were competitive with UNC. The Liberty loss was not great, but it also wasn't horrible. However, the Delaware loss is still inexcusable. Still, that is really the only bad loss we've had all season other than one to Georgia.

I would say that even in the first couple of weeks there was some hope there. We were competitive with UNC. The Liberty loss was not great, but it also wasn't horrible. However, the Delaware loss is still inexcusable. Still, that is really the only bad loss we've had all season other than one to Georgia.

We may of sparked UGA season... for them it may be a bit too late but they did beat USC last night after series wins against UK and MSU

They were competitive with UNC - but I remember the non conference games after where they were kicking the ball around, not pitching well and pretty passive at the plate...it got corrected very quickly though. The Henderson had to wear off in a few games before we could really get going.

We may of sparked UGA season... for them it may be a bit too late but they did beat USC last night after series wins against UK and MSU
Yep. The last couple of weekends have helped to ensure that they stay out of the bottom two and get into the SEC tournament. They sweep USC and they actually move ahead of USC and end up 11th in the league.

By the way, if we can win the SEC then we'd play the winner of the 8/9 game. Just for fun I went ahead and kind of played the what if game for the next two games. Here is what I have:

14 - Alabama (5-25)
13 - Tennessee (8-20)
12 - Georgia (11-19)
11 - South Car (13-17)
10 - Missouri (13-17)
09 - Ole Miss (14-16)
08 - Auburn (16-14)
07 - TAMU (16-14)
06 - Vandy (16-13)
05 - Miss. State (18-11)
04 - Arkansas (18-10)
03 - LSU (20-9)
02 - Florida (20-9)
01 - Kentucky (20-9)

So, what I basically did is that I predicted that there would only be one sweep in the SEC this weekend and that would be Vanderbilt sweeping Alabama. They are helped by not having played UT in one game due to weather. I felt like it was safest to predict that everyone would split the final two games and that no one, other than Vandy, would sweep. If Vanderbilt doesn't sweep and only wins one more then they would only be 15-14 and would be the number 8 team. I think all other things would remain the same.

So, what is interesting about this scenario (if it plays out) is that the Auburn/Ole Miss matchup would be a replay of this weekend's game, so they'd be really playing a 4 game series. Also interesting is that Casey Mize has been somewhat hurt on and off this season and he was shelved until the Sunday game against Auburn. He's also unlikely to pitch this weekend after not starting yesterday. So, they may very well pitch Thompson against Ole Miss in game one. If they win that game then they'd have to decide to try to go with Casey Mize, who struggled in his last start giving up 5 earned runs against LSU in just 4 innings, or they can go to any number of guys who have started a couple of games, none of which have an ERA under 4.00. So, that would be quite a good scenario for us, to be able to face Johnny All Staff in our first game of the SEC tournament, or worst case scenario, face a pitcher who isn't exactly 100 percent.

It is now official Tennessee and Bama will miss the SEC tourney in Hoover. Mizzou could actually finish ahead of USC in the final league standings, they also won the head to head match up !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT