ADVERTISEMENT

Career Advice

wildcatsboston1984

All-American
Mar 23, 2012
So I was recently offered a "promotion" at work. I get bumped up from assistant director to director. I work in a college athletic department, non-cosching role.

The salary increase could be best described as negligible if even that much. The actual salary is several thousand dollars more, but I lose the school provided housing, and that covered rent, utilities, internet, and cable TV which I wasn't paying a single cent for. In reality, if I don't find somewhere pretty cheap to live, rather that's on my own or splitting with some roommates, I'm honestly going to be worse off financially with the "promotion," and I'm not exactly well off financially now as it is before the promotion kicks in.

My department will be getting completely overhauled because higher ups are demanding it. There is zero budging on this as well. My job will be very significantly different than what the previous person had in the same position.

I lose my assistant. The only help I'll get now is from student employees.

Marketing and public relations is being removed from my duties, which are two of the things I liked the most about my job, and are being given to a person who would do all the marketing and public relations work.

Meanwhile I am now responsible for working every home game, which now will mean significantly more night and weekend hours for me. From January 1 to the end of April, I will only have TWO weekends where I won't have at least one home game to work, so for all intents and purposes, I will be working for 6-7 days a week for nearly an entire four month stretch on top of spending 3/4 of September, October, and November working 6 days a week.

And I had been looking to get out this summer because I was getting burnt out from the amount of night and weekend hours I was having to work.

So now all the mentally challenging work I enjoyed is gone and being replaced with monotonous, unchallenging work that has much more infuriating headaches to deal with than the office work.

My current, pre-"promotion" position is the assistant position getting eliminated, so if I turn down the promotion then I am without a job.

Frankly, once this all goes into effect, I don't envision a single scenario where I don't wake up every morning facing the prospect of hating a large chunk of my waking life that is my job.

Am I not well within reason to quit?

Last edited:
Yeah I'd be out.

So you arent really getting a promotion your just getting a different job bc the other is getting cut and their putting just as much work on you but cutting other benefits with no room to negotiate, correct? They're keeping you, so that says something..but if they are hiring a full time pr/marketing person that says they've got money if you say you would do that without hiring someone else.

Best advice tho...never quit until you have something else...much easier to find a job when you have one. As long as that one us secure.

I agree with Brassowtipin.

It’s easier to find a job when you have a job.

Start looking now and the promotion will look good on your resume.

Future employers will understand why you are looking for a new job based on situation.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
What if I left at the end of the calendar year, went back home (which is what I'm going to do whenever I quit no matter what so I can help out my elderly parents who could actually really use the help), and got a job at Kroger to tide me over until I got a better job? Brother said I could easily get on there because they are always looking for help. It would easily be enough to cover what few expenses I would have by living at home and allow me to save up some money.

If you’re talking a job at Kroger to “tie you over”— then I wouldn’t worry about quitting
Yeah I have very few expenses, but rent, utilities, and internet around here is going to run like over $1K a month since I can't find anyone I know to move in with. Not about to shack up in an apartment with what would essentially be a complete stranger unless I literally have no other choice.

What if I left at the end of the calendar year, went back home (which is what I'm going to do whenever I quit no matter what so I can help out my elderly parents who could actually really use the help), and got a job at Kroger to tide me over until I got a better job? Brother said I could easily get on there because they are always looking for help. It would easily be enough to cover what few expenses I would have by living at home and allow me to save up some money.

Is it not an option to start looking for a more “career type” job where your parents live and still be on the same timeline?

Also, if you are going to take a holdover job when you leave anyways why not go ahead and bounce and forgo working every weekend and having to move twice in a short period of time? Does having the new job title on your resumé help that much?

Is it not an option to start looking for a more “career type” job where your parents live and still be on the same timeline?

Also, if you are going to take a holdover job when you leave anyways why not go ahead and bounce and forgo working every weekend and having to move twice in a short period of time? Does having the new job title on your resumé help that much?
I'm already looking for jobs back there. I'll stay here through the end of the calendar year. My boss thinks he can convince the school to let me stay in this house for a few months. I would have to pay rent, but it would be much less than what I would pay elsewhere.

You got all those utilities free and yet you still had your elderly dad pay half of your Netflix bill.

If your gonna be that much help you might as well stay away and put them in the nursing home
lol yeah but my salary is significantly less. The pay raise I'd be getting wouldn't be enough to cover all the rent, utilities, and internet I'd have to pay when I would have to move. And I'm not making him, he volunteers to do that.

On a side note I think this is pretty illustrative of making a career in sports....amount of work :: amount of pay ratio is just not there or not what people think when career planning.

Have a couple friends that played pro sports and one that is an agent that all did well obviously but that’s one in a million. AD and assistant AD at my kids’ school work round the clock for absolutely no pay and they (and coaches) are a dime a dozen and constantly burnt out. Even my buddy that’s an agent is burnt to the max.

It’s just interesting dynamic, that’s all. Same as TV...you see news folks and I guess just assume they bank bc they’re on tv and that isn’t the case either except a small few.

Plus also trying to avoid ****ing up my references and screwing over my friends I work with that have nothing to do with how this has transpired.

If you’re committed to your career path you figure out how to make the promotion work for you. Going from assistant AD to Kroger employee will be a weird smudge on your resume. Any future employer will most likely consider it a red flag that you would be willing to leave for a job out of your career track regardless of the situation.

Reactions: UKGrad93
As long as you don't have a drug problem, if you've held a steady job for a period of time, I can't imagine you'd have trouble finding a job in this market. Sure, it won't be in a niche like an athletic department, but everyone needs good employees and can't find them.

Find a mid level manager job somewhere...easiest job for the money...literally don’t have to do any work just boss people around.

Have you tried talking to your employer? Explain exactly what you stated here, that you will be working a lot more, netting out less money and losing job satisfaction. Maybe there is something that they could do to help (a little better raise, keep some of those allowances, give you some comp time off, etc.). It can't hurt to ask. Just don't make it an ultimatum.

Reactions: chroix
Did you even attempt to negotiate? If you can, I would go back to the same position you had and let them find someone else for that role. Surely you can find something better than Kroger (no offense.)

Also, get on Glassdoor, or some career and job site. Lots of jobs open right now, lots of businesses expanding. The job postings for my field have doubled at least, over the past year or so. Get alerted. And it sounds cliche, but network. Almost every job I've had, I had some sort of connection to get me in the door.. I bet that goes for most here.

What kind of director would you be in an athletic department if you're not the athletic director?

And you're 34 years old, maybe it's time to sack up and start paying your own rent and bills. Maybe cut back on the amount of dolls you buy and put them towards your bills.

How old are you and what is your degree in? If 1984 is your birth year I have to question your decision making if you want to leave a director position to be a cashier or middle manager of Kroger. All your problems you described are ones that someone in the beginning of their career experience as they move up the ladder. Getting yourself a title promotion and the ability to eventually transfer to one of the other 5,000 universities in the US is a great gig, university administrator positions are very cushy with amazing benefits in the long run.

Also get an apartment, you’re 34 for god sakes, how the hell are you even getting laid.

Also get an apartment, you’re 34 for god sakes, how the hell are you even getting laid.

Who would want to pass up a set up like this?

It's a pretty big room. I haven't officially measured it, but it's probably 3x bigger than the room I grew up in. Have my own bathroom and full refrigerator, and the hallway connecting the bathroom to my bedroom is basically all mine as well (that's where my fridge is). Only space I share in the house is the kitchen and the washer/dryer.

It's actually a pretty nice setup. Got enough space for a closet, a garment rack since the closet is not big enough (I have way too many clothes), a couch, a coffee table for the couch, a queen size bed, an end table, something I use to hang my coat and store my shoes, a table for my TV, an extra chair for guests, and two chest of drawers. And I still have quite a lot of open space in the middle.

Reactions: TriangleUKCat
If you’re committed to your career path you figure out how to make the promotion work for you. Going from assistant AD to Kroger employee will be a weird smudge on your resume. Any future employer will most likely consider it a red flag that you would be willing to leave for a job out of your career track regardless of the situation.
I actually have zero interest in working in athletics anymore. The night and weekend hours have me burnt out. I need a career change.

And lastly, working at Kroger is basically a last resort type deal.

Did you even attempt to negotiate? If you can, I would go back to the same position you had and let them find someone else for that role. Surely you can find something better than Kroger (no offense.)
The same position I am in now won't exist. I either take what they offer or I'm out of a job.

And yes I attempted to negotiate on salary. Waiting to hear back. The job duties there is no budging on. The school president wants it this way.

..and do it on their time. Employer seems to be looking out for their own career/institution.. You should do the same.
lol already am. I intend to take it and ride it out through the end of the calendar year. Maybe the end of the academic year depending on salary but I don't see that as likely.

What kind of director would you be in an athletic department if you're not the athletic director?

And you're 34 years old, maybe it's time to sack up and start paying your own rent and bills. Maybe cut back on the amount of dolls you buy and put them towards your bills.
Marketing, communications, digital media, athletic training, strength and conditioning, compliance, academic services, game operations, development, engagement, business, etc.

Reactions: ukcats2008
How old are you and what is your degree in? If 1984 is your birth year I have to question your decision making if you want to leave a director position to be a cashier or middle manager of Kroger. All your problems you described are ones that someone in the beginning of their career experience as they move up the ladder. Getting yourself a title promotion and the ability to eventually transfer to one of the other 5,000 universities in the US is a great gig, university administrator positions are very cushy with amazing benefits in the long run.

You clearly don't know jack shit about college athletics.

This director position has a terrible salary now with the changes that are being made. The guy who had the position before was making 2x what they are offering now and that's all due to the restructuring. Frankly, had I known this is what they were going to do, I would have left over the summer instead of returning for another school year.

Also, get on Glassdoor, or some career and job site. Lots of jobs open right now, lots of businesses expanding. The job postings for my field have doubled at least, over the past year or so. Get alerted. And it sounds cliche, but network. Almost every job I've had, I had some sort of connection to get me in the door.. I bet that goes for most here.
I was on Glassdoor earlier today. I didn't see much of anything around here other than entry level stuff that I met the qualifications for. I could be doing gangbusters if I had medical or engineering degrees, a CDL, or had experience in finance. Alas, the only finance experience I have is one class in grad school. Every job listing seemingly wants 3-5 years experience in the field.

Last edited:
You clearly don't know jack shit about college athletics.

This director position has a terrible salary now with the changes that are being made. The guy who had the position before was making 2x what they are offering now and that's all due to the restructuring. Frankly, had I known this is what they were going to do, I would have left over the summer instead of returning for another school year.

Well sounds like your mind is made up, remember to look at the customers before you ask if they want paper or plastic, some bring their own bags now. Good luck!

College athletics really pay crap. I interned one summer at a major Power 5 school in the SID Dept. They offered me a job at the end of the summer and I made more getting my foot in the door at a bank as a teller. I always wanted to work in athletics but once I knew what the salary was going to be, quick math said GTFO.

Reactions: wildcatsboston1984
ADVERTISEMENT