ADVERTISEMENT

Career Advice

How am I supposed to take classes working 50-60+ hours a week, normally working at least two nights a week at that? Unless you are meaning do that after I quit.

Learn to weld. Join a building trade union, unless you are wanting something very lucrative or easier on your joints you won't need to continue school. I typically work 10 months a year and make 80 to 100k as a union pipefitter/welder, depending on the area the work is in. But that's 10 months a year that I'm away from home also.

Learn to weld. Join a building trade union, unless you are wanting something very lucrative or easier on your joints you won't need to continue school. I typically work 10 months a year and make 80 to 100k as a union pipefitter/welder, depending on the area the work is in. But that's 10 months a year that I'm away from home also.

lol, Boston being a welder. Guy can't even seal an envelope correctly.

I used to do manual labor full-time as a summer job during high school and college. I hope like hell I never have to do it again. I have all sorts of physical ailments that would be worsened by manual labor, so that is basically last resort.

Reactions: 521cat

Not sure what you're asking here. That is the typical construction code for pressure piping, boilers, etc. Welding codes and procedures are usually determined by the QA/QC. That I know nothing about.
I take whatever test and how many tests they determine they need to qualify me as competent prior to them hiring me on each job. The codes and procedures... Let the guys that can't weld take care of that.

It is. For process piping. I was simply curious about what sort of welding program you were involved in. Whether legitimate Section IX or at-risk fit up.

I have to keep current certifications through my International union. Then pass pre employment welding tests that are proctored by a contractor QC. Once they pass his visual inspection they are x-rayed by a third party testing company. I work primarily in refineries, powerhouses and chemical plants. Both new construction and shutdown/turn around work. Everything I weld must be done to code. Prep and fit up is inspected, root is inspected then a final visual inspection.
Once those visuals are passed it will have to pass either a phase array or x-ray. Sometimes both. If it's chrome piping that requires pre and post weld heat treating it will have to pass both processes multiple times.

Reactions: KopiKat
Describes the basics of a very legitimate welder / welder qualification program. Likely involves very detailed procurement programs where material traceability is permanently retained including for weld filler materials, and the suppliers of those materials must be qualified according to the complaince programs applicable to those facilities (plants, industry), prior to a purchase order being issued for materials. Weld mapling used to instruct and document completion of each weld. Very, very detailed, complex activities.

Yup. All that stuff also. Whole lot of moving parts in the process. Part of why large scale construction is so expensive.

Started my new job last week. Starting next week, I'll be normally working 9am to 3pm Monday-Friday. That's considered full-time, so I'll be eligible for benefits after 90 days. On my feet walking around a lot so it will be good for my efforts to lose weight as well. No overtime, no nights, no weekends. Gives me time to do free-lance sports work on the side as well. Pay is not as good as the last job but it's significantly less work and stress. Improvement in work-life balance and quality of life is worth the cut in pay until I get something better paying. I haven't had this much free time to work with in 20 years.

blessed.png

Started my new job last week. Starting next week, I'll be normally working 9am to 3pm Monday-Friday. That's considered full-time, so I'll be eligible for benefits after 90 days. On my feet walking around a lot so it will be good for my efforts to lose weight as well. No overtime, no nights, no weekends. Gives me time to do free-lance sports work on the side as well. Pay is not as good as the last job but it's significantly less work and stress. Improvement in work-life balance and quality of life is worth the cut in pay until I get something better paying. I haven't had this much free time to work with in 20 years.

blessed.png

What are those, teacher hours?

Hope the pay cut isn't too much. I think there's some truth to the grass not always being green. I'm still loving my new gig, but an old coworker was right: no place is perfect and you're going to find the same work dilemmas where ever you go.

But if there's that much freedom along with getting out at 3.. Not too bad. That's a good leave time to pick up a 2nd job as a waiter or bartender, if need be.

What are those, teacher hours?

Hope the pay cut isn't too much. I think there's some truth to the grass not always being green. I'm still loving my new gig, but an old coworker was right: no place is perfect and you're going to find the same work dilemmas where ever you go.

But if there's that much freedom along with getting out at 3.. Not too bad. That's a good leave time to pick up a 2nd job as a waiter or bartender, if need be.
No, I'd have to be in earlier than that if I was teaching. I could never teach even though several have told me I should look into it. I just don't have the patience. I would be like "Sorry kid, if you can't understand what 2+2 equals then I don't know what to tell you."

I'm basically just doing this to make ends meet for now. I got an interview for a graphic design job coming up soon. Was supposed to be last week but got postponed because the CEO is having some health problems, so not sure when it will be yet. Will be pretty sweet if I can get it. It's like 10 minutes from where I live, pays $45-50K, that would be over $10K more than the job I just left and I assume night and weekend hours would be pretty minimal.

No, I'd have to be in earlier than that if I was teaching. I could never teach even though several have told me I should look into it. I just don't have the patience. I would be like "Sorry kid, if you can't understand what 2+2 equals then I don't know what to tell you."

I'm basically just doing this to make ends meet for now. I got an interview for a graphic design job coming up soon. Was supposed to be last week but got postponed because the CEO is having some health problems, so not sure when it will be yet. Will be pretty sweet if I can get it. It's like 10 minutes from where I live, pays $45-50K, that would be over $10K more than the job I just left and I assume night and weekend hours would be pretty minimal.

Teaching seems like a cake job to me, IF you like being on stage all day. I personally wouldn't like that, not a huge fan of public speaking. But if you don't mind teaching the same French and Indian war for 30 years, go for it. Grab tenure and enjoy the time off.

If you can do graphic design, maybe go into IT. Helpdesk techs start at 40k in most markets and can get up to 60k. Then admins/engineers make anywhere from 60 to 120k. No college needed, but you do need to learn technology... Networks, servers, maybe some coding.

It's not a bad gig. You do get a good deal of freedom. The constant education (I'm in the process of renewing 3 certs, getting a new one, just took a week long class and you're never not learning new shit) can be tiresome.. But overall I like it.

Teaching seems like a cake job to me, IF you like being on stage all day. I personally wouldn't like that, not a huge fan of public speaking. But if you don't mind teaching the same French and Indian war for 30 years, go for it. Grab tenure and enjoy the time off.

If you can do graphic design, maybe go into IT. Helpdesk techs start at 40k in most markets and can get up to 60k. Then admins/engineers make anywhere from 60 to 120k. No college needed, but you do need to learn technology... Networks, servers, maybe some coding.

It's not a bad gig. You do get a good deal of freedom. The constant education (I'm in the process of renewing 3 certs, getting a new one, just took a week long class and you're never not learning new shit) can be tiresome.. But overall I like it.
Teaching takes A LOT of patience, just ask any teacher and they'll say the same. I do not have much patience for people who can't learn quick.

I did a lot of IT related stuff for athletics at the job I just left. Was easily one of the most frustrating aspects of the job and something I do not miss one single bit.

And I've looked at the job postings for IT helpdesks positions because I've been looking at anything I might be qualified for, I'm not remotely qualified for them due to lack of IT education and lack of certifications.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
I've learned, that you can't compare what your job will be to what it was (if that is gone no matter what). Compare it to what else you can get/do out there if you move on.

I had a situation where I was with a company for 18 years. They layed off about 900 of us, except for half of those (me included) they were sending to a contracting company at the same salary but losing my annual bonus and stock awards that added up to almost 1/3 of my yearly income. To add insult to injury, those of us sent to the contracting company did not receive the severance package that the other 450 got. So in my job search immediately after, I learned to not compare to what I had with XYZ, but to compare to what I was going to get with Contract-company P-diddy.

Also when you are looking at the monetary part. An increase in salary is better than other types of monetary benefits (of the same amount) because of compounding of your salary every year.

Reactions: UKGrad93
Friend at my previous employer called me up yesterday wanting to know how to do some stuff because the guy that replaced me had no clue, despite me walking thru and showing him all this stuff before I left. He described that situation as "this shit's a mess." I hate that for my friends there, but have to say it warms my heart a bit knowing that it's a shit show after how everything went down the last few months I was there.

ADVERTISEMENT